• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I did see that datamine, and there could be even more after. crazy!

I am sure they will keep spyro in. The remasters still released there, plus the internet exists, so people can easily figure out who is spyro.

we are still missing Yaya, Pasadena, and why not throw Evil Coco in too? If you guys forgot who she is

Though since I never played the crash games I only just discovered her when I was on the wiki haha
Heck, we could even get more esoteric possibilities, like Rilla Roo (Crash Bash), Hog (Crash 1) and a Lab Assistant.

I do wonder if they'll acknowledge Twinsanity content like EC sooner or later.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Oh for sure. Only extra doodads you need to pay upfront for are in the special edition, no less.

It helps that there's been a datamine that showed that the next Grand Prix after Spyro is spooky-themed. Mayhaps we'll get to see Nina, Amberly and Brio in that one.

The only thing that bugs me is how will the Spyro Grand Prix be handled over in Japan, exactly? Spyro has zero reputation over there, will they leave it in and cause confusion/annoyance, or skip over it at the risk of fans being in a content drought for over a month?
Spyro's obscure due to the butchering that was the Japanese version of his first game, but he still has some presence. This could actually be a decent opportunity to get his series some notoriety over there. Did the Reignited trilogy ever get released in Japan?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Heck, we could even get more esoteric possibilities, like Rilla Roo (Crash Bash), Hog (Crash 1) and a Lab Assistant.

I do wonder if they'll acknowledge Twinsanity content like EC sooner or later.
The more characters the better i say. I dont know why mario kart or team sonic racing doesnt embrace its full cast of characters like this game does

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Spyro's obscure due to the butchering that was the Japanese version of his first game, but he still has some presence. This could actually be a decent opportunity to get his series some notoriety over there. Did the Reignited trilogy ever get released in Japan?
Kinda?

The game is available to buy in the digital stores, but there are no Japanese language options. It's the exact same version available in English regions.

Curiously, the game is unavailable to preorder in any region on the Nintendo eShop. There's a chance that the Japanese localisation just isn't ready yet.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Finally got the Muscateer outfit. Could have sworn I was getting Wumpa coins by the hundreds earlier today.

The more characters the better i say. I dont know why mario kart or team sonic racing doesnt embrace its full cast of characters like this game does
The main advantages it has are having one specific universe (unlike Sonic) and not being afflicted by creators being hesitant to use characters that weren't made by them (unlike Mario). Since Activision and Beenox have free reign to do anything with the Crashverse (which wasn't made by them), they naturally decided to go Hog Wild.

I had suspected they wouldn't mind branching out of default CTR's content, but I never imagined the extent they would go above and beyond. That's dedication.

Last I checked, it was for XBox One there. Not exactly the best way to start out on the right foot in rekindling people's interest...

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Last I checked, it was for XBox One there. Not exactly the best way to start out on the right foot in rekindling people's interest...
It's out for PS4 there as well.
https://www.play-asia.com/spyro-reignited-trilogy/13/70bzwl

If Reignited doesn't succeed there at least they can say they tried. I don't think there's any reason why it wouldn't do well though. Cute and colorful characters, charming world, hitting lots of checkmarks that Japanese audiences like.

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I did see that datamine, and there could be even more after. crazy!

I am sure they will keep spyro in. The remasters still released there, plus the internet exists, so people can easily figure out who is spyro.

we are still missing Yaya, Pasadena, and why not throw Evil Coco in too? If you guys forgot who she is

Though since I never played the crash games I only just discovered her when I was on the wiki haha
This all makes me pine all the more for Twinsanity content and the definitive (cut content included) remake of Twinsanity that folks have been asking for.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This all makes me pine all the more for Twinsanity content and the definitive (cut content included) remake of Twinsanity that folks have been asking for.
d68.png

You and me both. Only issue is whether they'll ignore Crash Bash or not, otherwise it'll take longer before we potentially get to that point. Also, I'm getting accustomed to the idea of hearing ACTIVISION PRESENTS...A BLAST FROM THE PAST! at the start of each remake.

zferolie

Smash Hero
You guys just want remakes of the old games, or new ones? I mean, I get it remaking older games to get a new audiance, and add new content is great, but new games would be best. I mean, I want to see an HD remake of Banjo, but I'll take a Banjo Threeie if I could only get one now.

Not sure if this was posted here yet. Soon we can play as these lovely ladies

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'll take a Twinsanity remake or an all new game based around N. Sane Trilogy's engine (They kind of dabbled into that with the bonus level for Warped that was all new)

Though if a Twinsanity remake is done some jokes might go over people's heads. Like there's a part where Cortex acknowledges Wrath of Cortex didn't perform very well in a break the 4th wall moment that acknowledged that it had a bit of a shaky reception. Maybe they could change it to acknowledge the long hiatus the franchise had between Mind Over Mutant and N. Sane trilogy (Aside from random mobile games anyway). As otherwise not many are as aware of Wrath of Cortex as they are now. (Unless they're going to remake Wrath of Cortex next lol))

StormC

Smash Hero
I've singlehandedly witnessed people go from K. Rool support, to Banjo support, and now Crash support. We love funny western animals I guess.

Smash speculation is weird, man.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Just got every trophy in adventure mode in hard mode and conquered all of N. Trophy's time trials and some of Oxide's. This game is way harder than the original and I'm really happy that those modes can be a challenge for me yet again after so many years of me being too used to them and thus having an easy time passing through everything.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._number_one_destroys_team_sonic_racings_debut

MK8DX and TSR never stood a chance, the race is over.

You guys just want remakes of the old games, or new ones? I mean, I get it remaking older games to get a new audiance, and add new content is great, but new games would be best. I mean, I want to see an HD remake of Banjo, but I'll take a Banjo Threeie if I could only get one now.

Not sure if this was posted here yet. Soon we can play as these lovely ladies

Both. While I am curious as to what direction Acti would take for a brand-new entry, I think there's still a fair few other old Crash games that can be salvaged first. Not nearly as pressing a matter as for Spyro, which would hit a brick wall after Enter the Dragonfly/A Hero's Tail.

Also, this reminds me, I may as well post some art of said girls to help stave off the wait.

D9cu6noXoAEzmO-.jpg

D9iIR54X4AEVqpw.jpg

D9qLuL6U8AAiMlU.jpg

I've singlehandedly witnessed people go from K. Rool support, to Banjo support, and now Crash support. We love funny western animals I guess.

I'll say. Between this and selective amnesia/denial/people establishing a society that runs on "Death of the author" logic.

Although we also love reptiles too. :ultridley:

Just got every trophy in adventure mode in hard mode and conquered all of N. Trophy's time trials and some of Oxide's. This game is way harder than the original and I'm really happy that those modes can be a challenge for me yet again after so many years of me being too used to them and thus having an easy time passing through everything.
It's boggling how one can lose in Crash Cove on Medium. It's like losing to Glass Joe in the original Punch-Out.

I'll take a Twinsanity remake or an all new game based around N. Sane Trilogy's engine (They kind of dabbled into that with the bonus level for Warped that was all new)

Though if a Twinsanity remake is done some jokes might go over people's heads. Like there's a part where Cortex acknowledges Wrath of Cortex didn't perform very well in a break the 4th wall moment that acknowledged that it had a bit of a shaky reception. Maybe they could change it to acknowledge the long hiatus the franchise had between Mind Over Mutant and N. Sane trilogy (Aside from random mobile games anyway). As otherwise not many are as aware of Wrath of Cortex as they are now. (Unless they're going to remake Wrath of Cortex next lol))
I think they can completely rewrite some parts. Besides, they're already willing to do that for some parts of CTR (especially the epilogue). They could also change it into Cortex being too greedy to share profits from Wrath of Cortex (saving it for financing his schemes), but that can work.

And perhaps the "it was supposed to be TWO dimensions, but we ran out of time" joke can be excised, with any luck. :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It annoys me to see these “arguments” against Crash’s inclussion regarding how “he shared the same fandom and demographic as Banjo” due to how much they work basically like the freaking “AnImU sWoRdMeN” shennanigan that I had to deal with for years also as the supporter of Eight.

Can’t people just, I don’t know... Let people support whoever they want without any complaint?
Can’t people be free to like or dislike any choice while letting other people do the same?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It annoys me to see these “arguments” against Crash’s inclussion regarding how “he shared the same fandom and demographic as Banjo” due to how much they work basically like the freaking “AnImU sWoRdMeN” shennanigan that I had to deal with for years also as the supporter of Eight.

Can’t people just, I don’t know... Let people support whoever they want without any complaint?
Can’t people be free to like or dislike any choice while letting other people do the same?
Yeah, is it so difficult for people to admit that they just DON'T care about a character? It's nothing but excuses. Fandom's full of :179: and it annoys me to no end. Some even go into support threads to kick the proverbial beehive.

At least we got CTR now to distract ourselves from this for a few months.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Crash would be cool but since we only got banjo now i think crash will have to wait for at least the next game

D

Deleted member

Yeah, is it so difficult for people to admit that they just DON'T care about a character? It's nothing but excuses. Fandom's full of :179: and it annoys me to no end. Some even go into support threads to kick the proverbial beehive.

At least we got CTR now to distract ourselves from this for a few months.
Yeah, CTR NF is amazing.

I almost completed Adventure Mode on Normal (only things left are Oxide, the CTR challenges and Gem cups) and already unlocked my man N.Trance.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Edit: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._number_one_destroys_team_sonic_racings_debut

MK8DX and TSR never stood a chance, the race is over.

Both. While I am curious as to what direction Acti would take for a brand-new entry, I think there's still a fair few other old Crash games that can be salvaged first. Not nearly as pressing a matter as for Spyro, which would hit a brick wall after Enter the Dragonfly/A Hero's Tail.

Also, this reminds me, I may as well post some art of said girls to help stave off the wait.

I'll say. Between this and selective amnesia/denial/people establishing a society that runs on "Death of the author" logic.

Although we also love reptiles too. :ultridley:

It's boggling how one can lose in Crash Cove on Medium. It's like losing to Glass Joe in the original

I think they can completely rewrite some parts. Besides, they're already willing to do that for some parts of CTR (especially the epilogue). They could also change it into Cortex being too greedy to share profits from Wrath of Cortex (saving it for financing his schemes), but that can work.

And perhaps the "it was supposed to be TWO dimensions, but we ran out of time" joke can be excised, with any luck. :p
Yeah spyro just went to toys to life... but other then remakes where would you guys like to see Crash go? Any plots that need resolving? Do something fully new? Bring Tawna back to the main series? Have Coco be a more major and playable character in all games?

Those are some nice fanarts. Love them changimg outfits in that first one. And those bandicoot ladies all started as just fanservice but are much more now.

I have never heard this argument before. You sure its not just because of trolls?

D

Deleted member

Yeah spyro just went to toys to life... but other then remakes where would you guys like to see Crash go? Any plots that need resolving? Do something fully new? Bring Tawna back to the main series? Have Coco be a more major and playable character in all games?

Those are some nice fanarts. Love them changimg outfits in that first one. And those bandicoot ladies all started as just fanservice but are much more now.

I have never heard this argument before. You sure its not just because of trolls?
Someone just shared it on this thread.

And let’s be honest, if we changed Banjo by someone like Chrom and Crash with Erdrick for this argument months ago... It would basically be the “AnImE sWoRdMeN” shennanigan.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Some more use out of Tawna, of course. Her recent increased proactiveness has potential after she got underused for so long (due to executive meddling in the Naughty Dog days). And we can always use more Coco.

Reintroduce N. Trance in the main games, in a way that won't cause massive continuity headaches.

Also, perhaps come up with a good way to replace/remove the Radical games completely while salvaging the few good elements they had out of them. Siberian Tiger Mike Tyson Tiny should never have happened, for starters...

Oh, and a brand-new Crash/Spyro crossover!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Some more use out of Tawna, of course. Her recent increased proactiveness has potential after she got underused for so long (due to executive meddling in the Naughty Dog days). And we can always use more Coco.

Reintroduce N. Trance in the main games, in a way that won't cause massive continuity headaches.

Also, perhaps come up with a good way to replace the Radical games completely while salvaging the few good elements they had out of them. Siberian Tiger Mike Tyson Tiny should never have happened, for starters...
I would love a Japanese Crash alt to be added in Nitro Fueled or future Crash games.

N.Trance being a villain for a main game would be amazing too.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Someone just shared it on this thread.

And let’s be honest, if we changed Banjo by someone like Chrom and Crash with Erdrick for this argument months ago... It would basically be the “AnImE sWoRdMeN” shennanigan.
I mean i get the anime swordmen thing. Some people felt FE has gotten too many simular stylea. I mean, Ike, Chrome, Lucina, Roy, and Marth are all quite simular. I know there are differences but they have similarities too which bothers some people. I dont see how crash amd banjo would be anyway similar.

Also, perhaps come up with a good way to replace/remove the Radical games completely while salvaging the few good elements they had out of them. Siberian Tiger Mike Tyson Tiny should never have happened, for starters...

Oh, and a brand-new Crash/Spyro crossover!
Executive meddling? Did they think she qas too sexy or something? And Coco i felt is quite interesting. both personality and design. Having her playable in the remakes i think was a great idea.

I am still a noob, while wpuld N.Trance caise headaches, and what was so bad about the Radical games?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean i get the anime swordmen thing. Some people felt FE has gotten too many simular stylea. I mean, Ike, Chrome, Lucina, Roy, and Marth are all quite simular. I know there are differences but they have similarities too which bothers some people. I dont see how crash amd banjo would be anyway similar.

Executive meddling? Did they think she qas too sexy or something? And Coco i felt is quite interesting. both personality and design. Having her playable in the remakes i think was a great idea.

I am still a noob, while wpuld N.Trance caise headaches, and what was so bad about the Radical games?
Basically, some feminist lady exec was enraged about video game girls being "objectified" and was responsible for toning down Tawna's design from her initial concept. Funnily enough, she left Sony once Tomb Raider became a success.

Also, in regards to N. Trance, the GBA games had a plot progression that eventually resulted in the writers writing themselves into a corner and running out of active bad guys for the heroes to defeat by the end of N-Tranced (Cortex and co. were left stranded on a space station, and both N. Trance and N. Tropy got a decisive defeat), leading to Uka Uka claiming he'd be back with someone stronger. Yet Nitro Kart's plot worked on the assumption that the good guys already met N. Trance before, and all the villains are back with no explanation.

Radical's games have too many issues for me to willingly list, so I'll let @JDCabrera elaborate on them.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Basically, some feminist lady exec was enraged about video game girls being "objectified" and was responsible for toning down Tawna's design from her initial concept. Funnily enough, she left Sony once Tomb Raider became a success.

Also, in regards to N. Trance, the GBA games had a plot progression that eventually resulted in the writers writing themselves into a corner and running out of active bad guys for the heroes to defeat by the end of N-Tranced (Cortex and co. were left stranded on a space station, and both N. Trance and N. Tropy got a decisive defeat), leading to Uka Uka claiming he'd be back with someone stronger. Yet Nitro Kart's plot worked on the assumption that the good guys already met N. Trance before, and all the villains are back with no explanation.

Radical's games have too many issues for me to willingly list, so I'll let @JDCabrera elaborate on them.
Really? Now thats just silly. What a coincidence that she left right after Lara Croft got popular. I thi k Tawna current still looks attractive, but realistic and now more competent as well.

Interesting. Honestly may be best to just... well just keep the status quo that is around now. Much simpler.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I heard the Japanese weren't fond of someone as cute as Crash having such an immensely attractive GF in Tawna, and THAT'S what got her kicked out of the series and replaced with Coco.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's the first I hear of that. Luckily both can coexist now. :p

On a related fun fact note, I heard that the Trophy Girls are all named after Sony employees from back in the day. Megumi, in particular, is named after Megumi Hosoya, the Product and Marketing Manager of SCE Japan, who also happens to be the person who came up with the idea for the Crash Dance.

I honestly wonder how she feels about her namesake not only becoming playable, but now even having her own distinctive dance~

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Wacky, cartoony platformer animal mascots are my favorite video game character archtype or what the opposition likes to call them "Cereal Mascots" though I don't mind that name call as I find it funny.

The road to E3 last year it was clear that the 2 biggest frontrunners on the list of potential newcomers were King K Rool and Ridley, Once they were confirmed there is always a shift of balance of power in the rankings and though he was always highly requested luckily for us Banjo-Kazooie fans his stock shot up through the roof and was seen as the new most wanted newcomer for a while and of course eventually he finally got in.

Now that the dust has settled after E3 we are kind of waiting to see who will take over the empty spot left behind King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie.

Crash Bandicoot is a prime canditate for his stock to shoot up through the roof and is one of the very last few big names yet to make it into Super Smash Bros and the good news is that I'm starting to see a lot more buzz and momentum around him now that Banjo-Kazooie got in, Even this thread has started to get a lot of supporters that came over from the Banjo-Kazooie thread including myself, Banjo-Kazooie also broke down the barrier for more potential western 3rd Party Characters which can only mean good news for Crash Bandicoot.

Even though the DLC Roster was finalized around the Holiday season of last year, I hope that N.Sane Trilogy's success and the franchises revival was able to catch their attention enough to want Crash's inclusion into Super Smash Bros and hope he takes over after Banjo-Kazooie as Super Smash Bros "Most Wanted Newcomer".

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Because he and Banjo have similar statuses as 90s (Nintendo-linked?) Western cartoony animal 3D mascot collectathon platformers, and the idea I see is that "oh, since Nintendo wants new audiences with the DLC, we couldn't have two JRPG characters AND two of that type of Crash/Banjo characters; there's gotta be some more variety."

Eh, I don't "discard" him, It's just... I don't see him as that likely. When you think about it, him and Banjo have relatively similar demographics - two western platformer characters from the 90s that appeal to a loyal, nostalgic fanbase. The main difference between demographics is the console of release and the specific subgenre of platforming.

Considering Nintendo wants to appeal to different audiences with DLC, I doubt they'll repeat game types again like they did with RPG. I think the last two characters have a bigger chance to come from other genres, like Action, Adventure or Fighting, to name a few.

It would be a pleasant surprise to me if they put Crash in, though. I still remember pulling an all-nighter with my cousins to clear the original game...
But even then Crash seemingly has even more success and popularity than Banjo both overseas and back in Japan, also being another big Japan-popular Western I can think of if they wanted another (counting Steve out cause Banjo, and maybe also Doomguy counts? But who else?). Seeing as we never got some characters because they were HEAVILY Japanese centric (Famicom Detective Club, Takamaru, discounting FE and Mother), I'd have to wonder if another third party Western would also need some level of Japanese appreciation, as to not get bombarded with "what is this, Westerner's Smash?"

Plus Crash's Sony and, again, more mainstream audience, might be enough for consideration. And if the fighter saved for last after more interesting ones is presumably a disappointing fighter again anyway...

StormC

Smash Hero
But even then Crash seemingly has even more success and popularity than Banjo both overseas and back in Japan, also being another big Japan-popular Western I can think of if they wanted another (counting Steve out cause Banjo, and maybe also Doomguy counts? But who else?).
Doom is a nothingburger in Japan. It's really only Crash and Minecraft when it comes to western franchises that have been big hits in Japan. I don't think any other western games have even hit 500k (the original Banjo-Kazooie hit 400k and while not huge, was definitely a cult classic for Japanese Nintendo fans).

Wacky, cartoony platformer animal mascots are my favorite video game character archtype or what the opposition likes to call them "Cereal Mascots" though I don't mind that name call as I find it funny.

The road to E3 last year it was clear that the 2 biggest frontrunners on the list of potential newcomers were King K Rool and Ridley, Once they were confirmed there is always a shift of balance of power in the rankings and though he was always highly requested luckily for us Banjo-Kazooie fans his stock shot up through the roof and was seen as the new most wanted newcomer for a while and of course eventually he finally got in.

Now that the dust has settled after E3 we are kind of waiting to see who will take over the empty spot left behind King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie.

Crash Bandicoot is a prime canditate for his stock to shoot up through the roof and is one of the very last few big names yet to make it into Super Smash Bros and the good news is that I'm starting to see a lot more buzz and momentum around him now that Banjo-Kazooie got in, Even this thread has started to get a lot of supporters that came over from the Banjo-Kazooie thread including myself, Banjo-Kazooie also broke down the barrier for more potential western 3rd Party Characters which can only mean good news for Crash Bandicoot.

Even though the DLC Roster was finalized around the Holiday season of last year, I hope that N.Sane Trilogy's success and the franchises revival was able to catch their attention enough to want Crash's inclusion into Super Smash Bros and hope he takes over after Banjo-Kazooie as Super Smash Bros "Most Wanted Newcomer".
If Crash doesn't make it this time, I'm pretty confident he's going to be the most requested character for Smash 6, like Sonic for Brawl, Mega Man for 4, and Banjo-Kazooie for Ultimate. The series is more popular than it has been in decades and a new Crash game is most likely in development. Any Nintendo fans who haven't been properly exposed to the series before certainly have now. The western third party barrier has been broken and he's a popular request in Japan despite none of his games being big hits since the PS1 days.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Reminder that Metroid, as a Japanese-made IP, isn't much of a big-seller in Japan, and we still got four characters. :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:

Stuff happens when us foreigners really, really want it.

If Crash doesn't make it this time, I'm pretty confident he's going to be the most requested character for Smash 6, like Sonic for Brawl, Mega Man for 4, and Banjo-Kazooie for Ultimate. The series is more popular than it has been in decades and a new Crash game is most likely in development. Any Nintendo fans who haven't been properly exposed to the series before certainly have now. The western third party barrier has been broken and he's a popular request in Japan despite none of his games being big hits since the PS1 days.
With any luck, Crash fans would band together with Spyro ones to help make sure the brothers-in-arms get in safely, with no one left behind.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
"too many anime characters, need more West"
"no more than one West character"

I mean, these people absolutely cannot, for a minute, make up their blooming minds.
Things be weird man. I am confident that this game will get another western character. Right now I think our final two are Jill Valentine and Crash if I had a gun to my head. And that is not counting a second season which I personally think is happening just on the virtue of how well this game sold. Over 15 million in sales. Even if only one million bought the fighters pass that would be 25 million in sales. I would assume about 40% of the userbase bought it gut feeling.

Doom is a nothingburger in Japan. It's really only Crash and Minecraft when it comes to western franchises that have been big hits in Japan. I don't think any other western games have even hit 500k (the original Banjo-Kazooie hit 400k and while not huge, was definitely a cult classic for Japanese Nintendo fans).

I am seeing the slow moving coup of Crash over Smash speculation. For instance, on /v/ Crash is generally seen as one of the most likely characters right now and people generally want him. Crash has become a top ten staple in RTC's most wanted characters and most likely. I see Crash threads on gamefaqs all the time. I would check Resetera but I do not want to after the ...allegations. Even watchmojo wants him. Ok that is a low bar but I see him talked about on youtube.

Point being, everywhere I look Crash is universally a big deal for Smash, and one that is not strongly opposed by a vocal minority even. I see good things in our future.

StormC

Smash Hero
Reminder that Metroid, as a Japanese-made IP, isn't much of a big-seller in Japan, and we still got four characters. :ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley::ultdarksamus:

Stuff happens when us foreigners really, really want it.
Those are from a Japanese first party series, though. A little different.

With any luck, Crash fans would band together with Spyro ones to help make sure the brothers-in-arms get in safely, with no one left behind.
Why? Being a Crash fan doesn't mean they're a Spyro fan. If people want to support both, great, but it isn't necessary by any means.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Even if some fans don't like the idea of another 3D Platformer "Cereal Mascot" making it in as DLC, Crash Bandicoot has more than earned a roster spot into Super Smash Bros considering his legacy, success and successful franchise revival with N.Sane Trilogy and now CTR Nitro Fueled, I mean why wouldn't you want the de facto mascot of the original PlayStation in a crossover fighter?

While the rivalry wasn't as vicious or intense to the extent as Mario vs Sonic, One thing you have to give credit to Crash Bandicoot and Sony that Sonic the Hedgehog and Sega couldn't even do even if it was temporarily and that was to beat and take down the powerhouse that was Mario and Nintendo.

I grew up with the N64 in the late 90's and early 2000's and wouldn't have it any other way, But did play my share of Playstation also with Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon so I do have a decent amount of nostalgia for them too ,But there is no denying that the PS1 dominated the competition as it outsold the N64 about a 3:1 Ratio and Crash Bandicoot is a big reason why and gave Sony their Playstation brand their mascot or "Mario".

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Basically this. I am hopeful that, if he doesn't get in, he'll at least be one of the strongest contenders next time. He just got a lot of remakes, his future is looking as bright as ever and Crash seems to still have that eastern fanbase many western characters lack.

And yeah, stuff happens when westerners want it. Remember though, it may take a while. It took more than a decade with Metroid characters, Little Mac and Banjo. I've seen people basically treating Crash/Doomguy as locks because they're also huge western requests. Remember, guys, careful with that. As a Banjo fan, I can't remember how many times I was let down by similar lines of thought.

With all of that being said... if someone with Shinobi's credibility were to leak Crash... I would be one happy Saurus.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I dont think we are garunteed another capcom rep. Unlike sega and square, capcom already got a rep in the base game. Why would they deserve another, giving then a total of 4 reps when every other third party has 1-3? I mean no one else is expecting a konami rep since we got 2 in the base game, what makes capcom any different?

Dont get me wrong, i would like to see Jill from RE, or amaterasu, but i dont think they are set in stone. I think more likely qe are getting 2 more new 3rd parties, or a namco rep with a new third party.

Personally i want an indie rep and crash. Crash i think finalizes the console war the 90s had, and would be quite fitting. And a indie rep would show that indie developers are just as important and influential to the game industry as others. I am voting Shantae myself but if spirits do deconfirm then Reimu(the japanese queen of indie/doujin) or Hornet(the new protag for the new Hollow knight game nintendo is pushing HARD) as the most likely.

StormC

Smash Hero
I dont think we are garunteed another capcom rep. Unlike sega and square, capcom already got a rep in the base game. Why would they deserve another, giving then a total of 4 reps when every other third party has 1-3? I mean no one else is expecting a konami rep since we got 2 in the base game, what makes capcom any different?
You're overthinking it. Capcom got an echo fighter in Ultimate's base game which isn't a big deal, not to mention in Smash 4 it got Mega Man in the base game and Ryu as DLC.

"Deserving it" doesn't really matter. Capcom is a faceless corporation. Characters shouldn't be decided on the merits of their company. But if you want a reason, it's because no other Japanese company comes close to how many iconic characters and franchises Capcom has. Konami's most likely character got turned into an Assist Trophy. At that point you're left with, what, Frogger?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Off topic but it makes sense for Capcom to get more stuff. They are super easy for Nintendo to work with (look at the content Capcom has given us in Smash), and they got a lot of big IPs.

That being said, I am reasonably sure that the last two characters are gonna be Jill and Crash.

zferolie

Smash Hero
You're overthinking it. Capcom got an echo fighter in Ultimate's base game which isn't a big deal, not to mention in Smash 4 it got Mega Man in the base game and Ryu as DLC.

"Deserving it" doesn't really matter. Capcom is a faceless corporation. Characters shouldn't be decided on the merits of their company. But if you want a reason, it's because no other Japanese company comes close to how many iconic characters and franchises Capcom has. Konami's most likely character got turned into an Assist Trophy. At that point you're left with, what, Frogger?
Not saying its impossible not am i against it. I think think it would be better for some other companies to get rep, other deserving companies or characters. Again, i wouldnt mind Jill for sure as RE is a gaming icon. Its just i would like something new. An Indie and crash would be very new to the series.

Off topic but it makes sense for Capcom to get more stuff. They are super easy for Nintendo to work with (look at the content Capcom has given us in Smash), and they got a lot of big IPs.

That being said, I am reasonably sure that the last two characters are gonna be Jill and Crash.
It does make sense, and those 2 i think are very likely (Jill and Leon seem likely, i would prefer Jill with maybe a leon alt? Let the female be the main for once sakurai!). I just would like something a bit different is all

Top Bottom