• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Ugh... another one, But then again I shouldn't be surprised.

Though I didn't buy season 2, I completely struck out on this entire pass and Banjo-Kazooie looks to remain my only DLC character I cared about and have purchased.

God I really hate you Square Enix, You too Disney.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
You know what? I'll take it! Sora was the most requested character and it could've been much worse (looking at you Fortnite). I really hope the next Smash game is a port of Ultimate so that there are no cuts and Crash gets to fight everyone!
Let's gather a petition to make an Ultimate Deluxe

Hopefully Sakurai will listen to this one

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman

Hopefully it gets released for the rumored Switch 4K with better framerates and all that.

Too bad it wasn't Crash, but if we go to see Sora was the most requested character in the poll, which made Nintendo look to Square to negotiate even knowing it was difficult.

This should serve as a stimulus for us to ask for even more Crash in the next game.
And don't forget Disney, they own the rights to Kingdom Hearts. They're even mentioned on the companies with copyrights.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well, it's the end of the line for Crash's hopes and dreams. To be honest, I didn't expect Sora, primarily because Kingdoms Hearts is not just Square Enix's property; you had to get around Disney as well.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So here’s the question:

Smash Ultimate Deluxe where Crash can join the fight with everyone OR Smash 6 with who knows who will make the cut and Crash joins then

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
So here’s the question:

Smash Ultimate Deluxe where Crash can join the fight with everyone OR Smash 6 with who knows who will make the cut and Crash joins then
Smash Deluxe. I'd much rather have a game where everyone is here rather than having a game where half (or all, if the "make Smash Bros. great again" people get their way) of the third party content and a bunch of first party characters are likely going to be cut. (I'm a casual fan, so the roster plays a big part in the game's appeal for me)

Plus, there's something special about Mario, Crash, and Sonic being in the same game, or Crash, Snake, Cloud, Joker, Kazuya, and Sora (along with whoever else gets added) arguably making for a better line-up of PlayStation all-stars than what PlayStation All-Stars got. (also, having Crash Bandicoot and Banjo in the same game - if we're in a situation where not all veterans are returning, I don't see Banjo coming back, especially if Sakurai steps down and there's a new director. Making a deal with Microsoft for a character in Smash, especially one that they don't even use, felt like a one-time thing)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Smash Deluxe. I'd much rather have a game where everyone is here rather than having a game where half (or all, if the "make Smash Bros. great again" people get their way) of the third party content and a bunch of first party characters are likely going to be cut. (I'm a casual fan, so the roster plays a big part in the game's appeal for me)

Plus, there's something special about Mario, Crash, and Sonic being in the same game, or Crash, Snake, Cloud, Joker, Kazuya, and Sora (along with whoever else gets added) arguably making for a better line-up of PlayStation all-stars than what PlayStation All-Stars got. (also, having Crash Bandicoot and Banjo in the same game - if we're in a situation where not all veterans are returning, I don't see Banjo coming back, especially if Sakurai steps down and there's a new director. Making a deal with Microsoft for a character in Smash, especially one that they don't even use, felt like a one-time thing)
“make Smash Bros. great again”
I really don’t get this logic (them, not you). Smash is supposed to be a celebration of gaming at large

therefore Smash Bros. was already great

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I really don’t get this logic (them, not you). Smash is supposed to be a celebration of gaming at large

I think they want it to go back to being a celebration of Nintendo specifically, thinking Smash Bros. was better when it was like that. It probably sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I've seen that mindset in some places, like articles on Source Gaming, or some posts/threads on this site.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think they want it to go back to being a celebration of Nintendo specifically, thinking Smash Bros. was better when it was like that. It probably sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I've seen that mindset in some places, like articles on Source Gaming, or some posts/threads on this site.
Nah I’ve seen that mindset too, just saying I don’t understand it

I think it’s precisely the third parties that draw more outsiders to the series, and as such they’re introduced to new games, both in and out of Nintendo. That’s how it was for me when I started with Brawl, and that’s the appeal of Smash for me, I think

no doubt Sora brought in a BUNCH of new people to try Smash

Last edited by a moderator:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I hate that mindset so much, especially with the gatekeeping there was. People would gatekeep what characters you could request or speculate on, and enforce these purity tests on characters. Megman and Sonic get a pass, but Pac Man and Ryu were "too radical" of choices for those folks. It was so liberating that with every third party revealed, this mindset died more and more. In my opinion, it should have died in 2006 when Snake was revealed, while Cloud in 2015 really did put it at deaths door. Both of those two coming to Ultimate killed it. Do people still believe this? Yeah, but it always gets on my nerves a lot that people would gatekeep to such an extent.

It means they do not like how Smash bros evolved and want to take us back to 2001. Before the big scary third parties got involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I hate that mindset so much, especially with the gatekeeping there was. People would gatekeep what characters you could request or speculate on, and enforce these purity tests on characters. Megman and Sonic get a pass, but Pac Man and Ryu were "too radical" of choices for those folks. It was so liberating that with every third party revealed, this mindset died more and more. In my opinion, it should have died in 2006 when Snake was revealed, while Cloud in 2015 really did put it at deaths door. Both of those two coming to Ultimate killed it. Do people still believe this? Yeah, but it always gets on my nerves a lot that people would gatekeep to such an extent.

It means they do not like how Smash bros evolved and want to take us back to 2001. Before the big scary third parties got involved.
Seeing as how KoF inspired Smash, I feel like including third parties, especially Terry, was part of Sakurai’s plan all along

Dukefire

Smash Master
Each new character added to smash means that the character's fanbase will be pulled in to try the other character's home series. Smash Bros itself is a celebration and marketing advertisement for the newer and veteran gamers playing Smash Bros.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Even though I wasn't exactly hopeful for Crash's reveal yesterday I still got extremely sad to realize he just isn't part of this huge celebration.
I decided to quit every smash group I was in and also deactivated my Twitter account simply because seeing everyone happy while I was there just sobbing was really painful.
Does this make me a bad person? I don't really hate Sora's inclusion per see, I just feel really down to know Crash isn't in the game, it feels like he wasn't seen as worthy enough for whatever reason, either by Nintendo or Activision themselves.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
One positive thing, Crash wasn’t added as a mii costume, so (big) maybe they are saving them for later.

Don’t think Nintendo thinks just in today, sadly, these negotiations took some years, see Sora or Steve that they were thought since Smash 4 DLC cycle.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
One positive thing, Crash wasn’t added as a mii costume, so (big) maybe they are saving them for later.

Don’t think Nintendo thinks just in today, sadly, these negotiations took some years, see Sora or Steve that they were thought since Smash 4 DLC cycle.
Crash could be a selling point for next game along with maybe Master Chief

but… I’d rather ActiBlizz takes out all their dirty laundry first if you get my drift

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think they want it to go back to being a celebration of Nintendo specifically, thinking Smash Bros. was better when it was like that. It probably sounds like I'm exaggerating, but I've seen that mindset in some places, like [REDACTED] articles on Source Gaming[/URL], or some posts/threads on this site.
Could you please edit that person's name and that link out of your post? The person in question is a known white supremacist and bigot, and was even banned from this site for it. I would rather not see their content be shared here.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just feel really down to know Crash isn't in the game, it feels like he wasn't seen as worthy enough for whatever reason, either by Nintendo or Activision themselves.
I feel the same way, People can talk about fan demand and etc, But some characters get chosen despite that.

The part that really annoys me (And not that it really mattered) Is that they clearly really had no problem choosing characters/franchises more or heavily associated with the Playstation brand and even after all this they still decided to pass on the "De facto mascot" of the original Playstation that has always been compared to Mario/Sonic who are both in Smash.

"We could go with one of the most obvious choices for Smash... Nah let's go to SE a 3rd time this DLC cycle".

At the end of the day, I just really believe that Sakurai and to a lesser extent Nintendo didn't really think that highly of Crash Bandicoot or viewed him as necessary.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Could you please edit that person's name and that link out of your post? The person in question is a known white supremacist and bigot, and was even banned from this site for it. I would rather not see their content be shared here.
All right. I also edited the bigot's username and the link out of posts that quoted mine. I just figured that, if I claimed that people wanted all of the third party content cut from Smash and for the series to go back to being Nintendo-only, I'd be accused of making things up, and the article was quicker to find and seemed like it would be better than trying to track down specific message board posts claiming similar sentiments. (Plus, I figured I didn't want to open up the possibility of SmashBoards users being harassed - the bigot is banned from SmashBoards, and I'm pretty sure they were also banned from Twitter, so I didn't have those concerns in that case)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Admittedly, while I understand why we're all upset about Crash missing out, there's a part of me that can't help but think this might be a blessing in disguise. I mean, people are pretty upset that Disney is involved in Smash now: imagine how they'd react if ActiBlizz got in while the controversies are still going on...

Dukefire

Smash Master
Wait, there are people that was disappointed that no Disney characters are appearing? Music I understand like Simple and Clean, but Disney characters? That's a boundary that won't be crossed. Sora can work fine without Disney characters.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wait, there are people that was disappointed that no Disney characters are appearing? Music I understand like Simple and Clean, but Disney characters? That's a boundary that won't be crossed. Sora can work fine without Disney characters.
Yes, actually, but that wasn't what I was referring to: I was referring to people being upset that Disney is now involved with Smash at all. As in, they're part of the list of trademarks now.

I'm not saying Disney doesn't deserve to be criticised for their mistakes, far from it, but they're still getting flacked on just for... being Disney, really.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yes, actually, but that wasn't what I was referring to: I was referring to people being upset that Disney is now involved with Smash at all. As in, they're part of the list of trademarks now.

I'm not saying Disney doesn't deserve to be criticised for their mistakes, far from it, but they're still getting flacked on just for... being Disney, really.
There is another company called Disney Interactive Studios. A separate company focus solely on Gaming for the Disney characters. Of course, Haters gonna Hate and I don't really mind as long things don't go out of control. (The Internet always bring the worst of people. No matter how big or small.)
As long Sora doesn't tell the mouse he is in one of Gaming's most famous collaboration. Everything will be fine.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's prolly been said before, but I think what did Crash in was the fact that his fan demand came too late.

The Smash ballot is obviously what influenced this game more than anything else, and it was closed back in late 2015. The Crash IP was pretty much in the gutter entirely back then, and wouldn't really come back into the limelight until 2017 with N. Sane Trilogy. And well...Crash himself didn't really become a big fan favorite for Smash until NST was announced for Switch in the very same Direct that teased Smash Ultimate to begin with. He really needed to be popular back in early 2015, just as K. Rool, Banjo, Sora, etc were for it to really count this time around.

I also think it doesn't help that N. Sane Trilogy, Nitro Fueled and Crash 4 all kinda bombed in Japan, in comparison to how they were smash hits overseas (well, at least the first two). So yeah, in that sense I think Crash really needed to be there when it counted back in early 2015 as a direct way to show Nintendo his popularity.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's prolly been said before, but I think what did Crash in was the fact that his fan demand came too late.

The Smash ballot is obviously what influenced this game more than anything else, and it was closed back in late 2015. The Crash IP was pretty much in the gutter entirely back then, and wouldn't really come back into the limelight until 2017 with N. Sane Trilogy. And well...Crash himself didn't really become a big fan favorite for Smash until NST was announced for Switch in the very same Direct that teased Smash Ultimate to begin with. He really needed to be popular back in early 2015, just as K. Rool, Banjo, Sora, etc were for it to really count this time around.

I also think it doesn't help that N. Sane Trilogy, Nitro Fueled and Crash 4 all kinda bombed in Japan, in comparison to how they were smash hits overseas (well, at least the first two). So yeah, in that sense I think Crash really needed to be there when it counted back in early 2015 as a direct way to show Nintendo his popularity.
I know it's unlikely at this point, but I hope they at least consider doing another Ballot...

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
It's finally done. I know I'm late following up on yesterday's news, but better late than never. Plus, this message as well as one I left on the Ryu Hayabusa pages are gonna be my last posts on Smashboards as I don't think there's any need to keep coming back here now that Smash Ultimate is finished.

I'm ecstatic that Sora is actually joining Smash Ultimate! For years I thought he was impossible, which is why I never brought him up as one of my most-wanted characters on here. And yet here we are, with Sora coming to Smash Ultimate in a couple weeks. It sucks that Crash didn't happen for this game, but Sora happening makes me so happy that I can't be upset about him, Ryu Hayabusa, Sol Badguy, or any of my other characters missing out on Ultimate. On the whole Smash Ultimate has been a fantastic experience, with only a few characters that I've been disappointed by (Piranha Plant and Steve mainly). I'm happy to live in a timeline where Mario, Link, Banjo-Kazooie, Sora, Cloud and Sephiroth are all in the same game! Not to mention the other characters featured in it like Sonic, Snake, Joker, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Bayonetta, Simon, Hero, Ryu, Kazuya, Terry and all my other Nintendo favorites!

And that is that. Thanks for having me on here guys! I know that my time here hasn't been perfect, but I hope my passion for Crash was still there despite everything. It's been fun talking Crash Bandicoot with you all, and good luck in the future 👋👋👋👋

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
We shall reassemble someday. Until then Crash fans you are dismissed. Thank you all for your contributions to this DLC cycle. When we come back it will be with a vengeance! Take care of yourselves so that when you're called upon you're ready to advocate for the definitive Playstation mascot to join the fight!

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Good to see a lot of people really excited for Sora, personally have no attachment to the character at this point though.

I think Crash will make it in someday, now just hoping Microsoft & Nintendo stay friendly so we could potentially have a proper Crash vs Banjo matchup. Not sure why but personally would like to be able to do that someday.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace

Maybe in the Switch Pro. But instead of Deluxe, how about Super Smash Bros Ultimate: Special Edition? In Japan, it'll be called Smash Bros Special: Ultimate Edition. Few new fighters, including 2 new echo fighters, few old and new stages, new spirits, and new single player content.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Best case scenario Activision loses the Crash license to a company that isn't problematic or absorb it's dev teams for Call of Duty and is willing to continue making more Crash games within the next few years so if he's a DLC fighter for the next Smash game (assuming he isn't in the base game) they don't get a dime

Alsorash

Smash Cadet
A Deluxe in 4-5 years will be the best case scenario. Add Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Geno, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Doomguy, Ring Fit Adventurer, Twintelle and some Pokemon and we'll have the most definitive roster ever.

But as of now, I really can't complain. I remember being disappointed in Kazuya back in E3 because I was expecting Crash with the rumours and all, but now that I own the character I really like it, I have played almost all Tekken games and I have a history with them, but in that period I was so focused with Crash and that announcement did not much to me.
After that we had rumors of Sora in Smash. Now yeah, I admit it, Sora was always my first choice, but I always thought it was impossible, and in my mind Sephiroth announcement erased all the possibilities, but here we are.

That said I really hope Crash makes it, in some way, with THIS roster. I don't see Nintendo releasing a new smash without some heavy hitters from Ultimate, we know how some (toxic) fans are and Twitter is a big site where they can express their toxic behaviors. Best case scenario is this Deluxe theory, but in 5 or more years I think.

Top Bottom