• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
WOAH WOAH Crash was always gonna be the last one standing! WOAH WOAH Cause he's never gonna give up trying!

Now we're ready to go... We're here and waiting for you...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sakurai has said that the last character may be someone unexpected but he hopes the audience will give them a chance.

I have no idea what that could mean, especially when I don't know whether he's talking about Japanese audience reactions or in general.

Maybe...

Alsorash

Smash Cadet
Sakurai has said that the last character may be someone unexpected but he hopes the audience will give them a chance.

I have no idea what that could mean, especially when I don't know whether he's talking about Japanese audience reactions or in general.

Maybe...
Not exactly what he said though. He said "You may not know the new fighter, or it might be different from your personal expectations" and "Even if you don't play Smash Bros., and are just interested in gaming, I'd like to invite you to watch the broadcast" only for the japanese audience too, so he may be a western character at least. If Sora is out of the game, my most hyped character is indeed Crash, but "sadly" he's very popular in Japan, so I don't really know what to think...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not exactly what he said though. He said "You may not know the new fighter, or it might be different from your personal expectations" and "Even if you don't play Smash Bros., and are just interested in gaming, I'd like to invite you to watch the broadcast" only for the japanese audience too, so he may be a western character at least. If Sora is out of the game, my most hyped character is indeed Crash, but "sadly" he's very popular in Japan, so I don't really know what to think...
To be fair all we have to go off is Japanese internet discourse and we all know how internet discourse differs from general public perception. Otherwise Psychonauts would have outsold Fortnite.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Sounds like a lot of people on here are starting to panic. At least judging by some of the pages I've clicked on. Are people really taking the final character so seriously that they're afraid about who it might be? It's actually kind of hilarious. It is a freaking video game. If the final character is someone you don't like, the world isn't going to end because of it. People online really need to chill and stop taking a video game so seriously, especially a game that, by all measures, has given us more than what we could've asked for a few years ago, even if there are characters in it you may not like.

Maybe...
When has he said that?

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
A recent tweet from not too long ago. Personally, I can't help but think he might be referring to a smaller tier character...
Well, I don't know why people were expecting a big high tier character at the end anyway. Considering the final reveals for most base Smash games and their DLC cycles, they don't exactly end with a major character reveal. Mr. Game & Watch in Melee, Wolf in Brawl, Duck Hunt for base Smash 4, Corrin for Smash 4 DLC, Incineroar for base Ultimate, and Byleth for Ultimate Wave 1 DLC. I like a lot of these characters sure, but they're not really big time ending reveals for most people. I figure tomorrow's going to be the same thing happening, like maybe Ryu Hayabusa, Nahobino from Shin Megami Tensei V, or maybe a Nintendo character of some kind.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Well, I don't know why people were expecting a big high tier character at the end anyway. Considering the final reveals for most base Smash games and their DLC cycles, they don't exactly end with a major character reveal. Mr. Game & Watch in Melee, Wolf in Brawl, Duck Hunt for base Smash 4, Corrin for Smash 4 DLC, Incineroar for base Ultimate, and Byleth for Ultimate Wave 1 DLC. I like a lot of these characters sure, but they're not really big time ending reveals for most people. I figure tomorrow's going to be the same thing happening, like maybe Ryu Hayabusa, Nahobino from Shin Megami Tensei V, or maybe a Nintendo character of some kind.
keep in mind that Bayonetta was revealed as the final fighter for Sm4sh DLC, not Corrin

but you’re kinda onto a point there. A lot of the ending characters are WTF/joke related. Piranha Plant already covered that at the very beginning (and was supposed to be in base roster). Since that part is covered, it’s a tough one

still keeping my expectations low for tomorrow. I don’t want to get excited and express disappointment all over again.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Sounds like a lot of people on here are starting to panic. At least judging by some of the pages I've clicked on. Are people really taking the final character so seriously that they're afraid about who it might be? It's actually kind of hilarious. It is a freaking video game. If the final character is someone you don't like, the world isn't going to end because of it. People online really need to chill and stop taking a video game so seriously, especially a game that, by all measures, has given us more than what we could've asked for a few years ago, even if there are characters in it you may not like.
Yeah... I mean it's only gonna be the final newcomer for the ultimate Smash game that's probably gonna be the last one before it goes in hiatus for a long time.

Honestly, What did you expect? Of course tensions are gonna be at an all time high, When theirs only one roster spot left and Smash has a tendency to pit fanbases against each other, Theirs gonna be mayhem.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So many things happening tomorrow

meltdown of the final DLC character and Nick All-Star Brawl. Gonna be an interesting Tuesday…

Dukefire

Smash Master
Still waiting for Metroid Dread on Friday. So, my expectation for the final challenger is reduced.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Yeah... I mean it's only gonna be the final newcomer for the ultimate Smash game that's probably gonna be the last one before it goes in hiatus for a long time.

Honestly, What did you expect? Of course tensions are gonna be at an all time high, When theirs only one roster spot left and Smash has a tendency to pit fanbases against each other, Theirs gonna be mayhem.
It is going to get ugly very fast. So, prep for the worst.

Other then the inevitable reveal tomorrow. It's been one hell of a ride for Ultimate's DLC cycle.
So many things happening tomorrow

meltdown of the final DLC character and Nick All-Star Brawl. Gonna be an interesting Tuesday…
Ya'll are just proving my earlier point, Lol 😆

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Welcome to 2021, where we know **** is gonna hit the fan tomorrow

...and if it's not crazy enough, I'm half tempting to pick up the Nick game when I have grading and a few other games I want to finish up. Jeez, my Christmas and thanksgiving break needs to be full game mode

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Ok bandicoots. My most wanted character within the fighter passes. Crash to me means a completion.
Mario vs Sonic vs Crash has been a true dream of mine for years, ever since the idea of 3rd parties even having a chance at Smash. Cloud broke the wheel in my opinion, making Crash not seem so impossible after all.

I will take my leave, as I do once Smash is over, and go into slumber until the next Smash craze hits, and therefore wanted to give my last good luck, and a thank you for holding the Bandicoot dream alive. Woah, guys, Whoa!

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Ok bandicoots. My most wanted character within the fighter passes. Crash to me means a completion.
Mario vs Sonic vs Crash has been a true dream of mine for years, ever since the idea of 3rd parties even having a chance at Smash. Cloud broke the wheel in my opinion, making Crash not seem so impossible after all.

I will take my leave, as I do once Smash is over, and go into slumber until the next Smash craze hits, and therefore wanted to give my last good luck, and a thank you for holding the Bandicoot dream alive. Woah, guys, Whoa!
Yes greetings friend.

I voted for Cloud and Crash on the ballot. It was the friendliest gesture I could give at the time but I hope my continued support is even more friendly!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Yeah, So?

It's a big reason a lot of us are here in speculating on a Smash forum for the past few years.

A lot of people here really love Smash and Crash Bandicoot, So they want to see both crossover.

Who are we to say how people should feel about tomorrow? Let them say what they wanna say.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
How would you guys feel if Crash didn't make it and it was another character you wanted in Smash? Or a character you want to punch your screen?

Let's express our thoughts so we can have our vents cleared out before tomorrow's ****storm

Dukefire

Smash Master
Fortnite: I'm going to be salty for a few days
Master Chief: Only played Halo 4, I'm fine with it.
Any remaining Indie Characters like Gunvolt, Reimu and Hollow Knight: I say it is an achievement.
Doomguy: bring on the heavy metal
Other characters: neutral feeling

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
all i care about now is the character just being exciting and fun to play

i dream for crash or chief but if i don't get them i can't be sad

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
One last hope for the Bandicoot before it all comes to an end tomorrow. I will be honest that Vol II has been quite disappointing, though it should have been obvious--when Ultimate came out, I felt like there were just a few big characters left, and since then there's been a lot more characters I thought couldn't, or shouldn't, be in Smash, that ultimately got in. And while I'm happy for those fans, I have now come to accept that with only one left, there are far more many characters it could be, and it outnumbers the few that I would actually be happy with. Which is obvious, but unfortunate, since there has been no Vol II characters that I wanted, and few that I ended up liking. And even with Sora, while I'd be happy given how unlikely it would be, there would still be a sore spot that Crash wound up being passed over.

I have to accept that possibility now, rather than tomorrow. But like with Banjo & Kazooie, I feel like the nostalgic 90s platformer mascot, one that rivaled Mario and Sonic in the heyday, who's moves and iconography fit perfectly with Smash, is the top character. Of course, I'm biased, but both in terms of what fans have demanded, and in terms of a character who is not too polarizing, and would be that happy medium between not being niche/totally expected, but also not being so ridiculous that it turns people off. If Crash is the character, it'll be disappointing to those who didn't want an expected choice, or wanted an out-there character, or their particularly niche character, but satisfying for so many who think Crash should have been in a long time ago.

Nintendo has said two things officially. In the announcement of the N-Sane Trilogy, they said Crash was a gaming icon and it's impossible until it happens. And Nintendo encouraged us to allow our imaginations to wonder, and I'll continue to hope for Crash until the very last second.

Gold Lannister

Smash Cadet
I really hope Crash is the last fighter on the pass, although I'm also happy if it's Eggman, Tails, Rayman, Spyro, Phoenix Wright or any other character known in the West as Scorpion or Ezio.

I won't deny that I would be disappointed if he were just another first-party character on the pass or one more from the Japanese niche.

That's it... soon we'll meet the ultimate fighter and hopefully it will be Crash Bandicoot.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm not too hopeful for Crash's chances but I'd be more than happy to be wrong. Really hope he gets in.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The one thing that could work against Crash is knowing all about Activision's business practices. But he is one of the easier 3rd party characters to work with, and it's always possible that he was considered to be a fighter well before the coronavirus pandemic began.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I really hope Crash is the last fighter on the pass, although I'm also happy if it's Eggman, Tails, Rayman, Spyro, Phoenix Wright or any other character known in the West as Scorpion or Ezio.

I won't deny that I would be disappointed if he were just another first-party character on the pass or one more from the Japanese niche.

That's it... soon we'll meet the ultimate fighter and hopefully it will be Crash Bandicoot.
I'd be ok with Porky as the 1st party pick but for 3rd party, Crash, Scorpion or Rayman would be great.

Top Bottom