• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I'm interested in playing older Crash games. Who knows when I'll be able to grab older systems, but there's tons of games I never got to experience and/or would like to experience again. How is Wrath of Cortex anyway? Is it similar in gameplay when compared to the original trilogy?

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'm interested in playing older Crash games. Who knows when I'll be able to grab older systems, but there's tons of games I never got to experience and/or would like to experience again. How is Wrath of Cortex anyway? Is it similar in gameplay to the original trilogy?
Wrath of Cortex is......polarizing. It is very similar to Crash 3 but your mileage may vary. I haven't played the game myself but there is a pretty good variety of stages and the music is generally very good. I can't speak for the controls, but judging from what Caddicarus and others have said and from what I've gathered with gameplay, some levels may be frustrating, there are some questionable design choices and the graphics are ugly as sin. I would say if you can find it for an affordable price it is worth it because it's still a decent game, but it is a downgrade from the trilogy in some aspects.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
I'm still under the belief that the current thing with TFB supporting Warzone and the potential telling based off of that event going tells us that Crash isn't joining Smash is something I don't really believe.

If anything, that fate of him being in Smash would've been decided a long while ago when the negotiations for FP2 were done around late 2019-early 2020 and while yes I don't rule out how the recent events COULD provide a hint or two, I just don't believe it's enough for us to really get that answer that we all in here have been waiting for a very long time now.

Also, Activision did promise that we would see a good amount of stuff throughout the year regarding Crash (from their official press release when they announced the Crash 4 ports) because this year is his 25th anniversary, and with June coming up?? The one month where Crash stuff since 2016 either gets announced or released? Our odds of getting the next step of the 25th anniversary in June are really likely honestly.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Wrath of Cortex is......polarizing. It is very similar to Crash 3 but your mileage may vary. I haven't played the game myself but there is a pretty good variety of stages and the music is generally very good. I can't speak for the controls, but judging from what Caddicarus and others have said and from what I've gathered with gameplay, some levels may be frustrating, there are some questionable design choices and the graphics are ugly as sin. I would say if you can find it for an affordable price it is worth it because it's still a decent game, but it is a downgrade from the trilogy in some aspects.
I played it when it launched.
It really isn't bad. It just didn't significantly expand the formula of the original trilogy like Crash 4 did. The graphics are very clearly early PS2 graphics (as are Spyro Enter the Dragonfly's).
Twinsanity was actually poorly received at the time, but it's an excellent open world platformer with charming humor and inoffensive redesigns of the characters.
After that came the beat-em-up games with HIDEOUS redesigns. Think of it like Banjo-Kazooie Nuts n' Bolts; it's a good game, just not a good CRASH/BANJO-KAZOOIE game.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
For those that were wondering about the Activision call that happened not too long ago in regards of Crash

https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1389697156110557186

They listed Crash Bandicoot as one of their marquee franchises. So you can throw out the "Crash is going to be dead very soon" theory out the window.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1389680115110621189 <<<

And also: They plan to hire a good amount of developers (2,000 was a number stated but could be more) from the start of 2020 thru 2022, so that should help to quell the recent talk about the "layoffs" that was talked about in here lately. Which is always great to see and they mentioned in the presentation about the better focus and execution of "health and safety of employees physical and psychological, constant touch with team managers to ensure employees are kept safe, and ensure time to recharge.

1620166155252.png

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
For those that were wondering about the Activision call that happened not too long ago in regards of Crash

https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1389697156110557186

They listed Crash Bandicoot as one of their marquee franchises. So you can throw out the "Crash is going to be dead very soon" theory out the window.

EDIT: https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1389680115110621189 <<<

And also: They plan to hire a good amount of developers (2,000 was a number stated but could be more) from the start of 2020 thru 2022, so that should help to quell the recent talk about the "layoffs" that was talked about in here lately.
Oh, that’s a relief.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
Here's another tweet to the quarterly call and this one is VERY important to keep in mind with regards of whether or not Crash would be dead soon or will be around for a long time:

"For those asking, Spyro fell out of their about blurb after Q2 2020. The only takeaway was: if Crash was something they were looking to sunset they would likely not have it listed; conversely, something not being listed does not mean it HAS been sunset. Squares & rectangles."

(link to the tweet itself from the guy who reported on the call itself: https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1389702857323073544)

So it's very much safe to say that Crash Bandicoot is here to stay for a long while as long as the franchise does really well, which I imagine isn't hard to achieve.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
One other thing to note with the whole Crash being too expensive for PS All Stars issue:

Adding Crash to the game was really more of a benefit for PS All Stars than it was for Crash. While adding him in SMASH is more of a benefit for Crash than it is for our favorite crossover.

I think Activision would realize this.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
One other thing to note with the whole Crash being too expensive for PS All Stars issue:

Adding Crash to the game was really more of a benefit for PS All Stars than it was for Crash. While adding him in SMASH is more of a benefit for Crash than it is for our favorite crossover.

I think Activision would realize this.
It's weird though. I wasn't following PS All-Stars' development, but I thought Sony would've wanted to try a little harder funding it to at least try and make sure it was successful. Whether it was trying to negotiate for Crash and Spyro with Activision, or trying to improve on my aspects of the game that felt kind of... flat. Was it because the PS3 didn't make them as much money as Sony would've liked for a while so they just couldn't? Or was the developers themselves not having the budget for a more impressive game?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
It's weird though. I wasn't following PS All-Stars' development, but I thought Sony would've wanted to try a little harder funding it to at least try and make sure it was successful. Whether it was trying to negotiate for Crash and Spyro with Activision, or trying to improve on my aspects of the game that felt kind of... flat. Was it because the PS3 didn't make them as much money as Sony would've liked for a while so they just couldn't? Or was the developers themselves not having the budget for a more impressive game?
I recommend this video:

HolsterYerGuns

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone mostly made this account to mention this

Looks like activision wont be on this list for now pretty concerned there might be chances they might go to summer games fest instead since geoff loves crash for some reason.

Tho I want to ask this how do you think they will still announce crash on Nintendo direct even if activision is not there and has there been a similar situation?

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hello everyone mostly made this account to mention this

Looks like activision wont be on this list for now pretty concerned there might be chances they might go to summer games fest instead since geoff loves crash for some reason.

Tho I want to ask this how do you think they will still announce crash on Nintendo direct even if activision is not there and has there been a similar situation?
Welcome to the forums!

And I think there could still be a Crash reveal at the Nintendo Direct in spite of Activision possibly not showing up at E3.

HolsterYerGuns

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the forums!

And I think there could still be a Crash reveal at the Nintendo Direct in spite of Activision possibly not showing up at E3.
Hope so but it still sort of concerns me about activision summer games fest unless there is a similar situation I would be more comfortable

So with E3 coming up soon. Where would you guys rate our favorite marsupial's chances?
I will say 50/100 for now.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So with E3 coming up soon. Where would you guys rate our favorite marsupial's chances?
While I'm not as confident as most others due to Nintendo's track record with Smash DLC, I definetly think there's a chance Crash will show up at E3.

That being said, I also think this is his LAST chance, as I DEFINETLY don't think he'd be Fighter 11.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’m reasonably confident. I haven’t had this gut feeling in a character since DQ getting content pre Brave leak or Ridley for base game. I actually am working on a big write up explaining why I think Crash is the e3 character, but I’ve been sidetracked. Should finish it this weekend.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
How will y'all react if Crash isn't in?
The thing is, I'm very confident in Crash. I would give him a 65% chance of happening. I think he makes the most sense for the E3 reveal and I really do think that Nintendo has enough interest in Crash for him to be heavily considered.

But I'm just worried that I will be disappointed if I'm wrong. I've been burned so many times with this game that I am a careful optimist at the most. It would be a dream to see Crash fight with all these other gaming icons. But I don't want to get my hopes up too much. If he doesn't happen, I will just have to remind myself that I already got the Belmonts and Steve, plus Pyra/Mythra (Whose game I tried out because of Smash and it's now my third favorite game and Pyra and Mythra are some of my absolute favorite gaming characters now). Plus I regularly stare at the stage and character select screens to remind myself of how much of a miracle this game is.

So if Crash doesn't get in, I will be upset but at least I will be half-expecting it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If someone underwhelming got in over him, I would be super salty.
The thing is, I'm very confident in Crash. I would give him a 65% chance of happening. I think he makes the most sense for the E3 reveal and I really do think that Nintendo has enough interest in Crash for him to be heavily considered.

But I'm just worried that I will be disappointed if I'm wrong. I've been burned so many times with this game that I am a careful optimist at the most. It would be a dream to see Crash fight with all these other gaming icons. But I don't want to get my hopes up too much. If he doesn't happen, I will just have to remind myself that I already got the Belmonts and Steve, plus Pyra/Mythra (Whose game I tried out because of Smash and it's now my third favorite game and Pyra and Mythra are some of my absolute favorite gaming characters now). Plus I regularly stare at the stage and character select screens to remind myself of how much of a miracle this game is.

So if Crash doesn't get in, I will be upset but at least I will be half-expecting it.
I know that feeling y'all. I saw K. Rool and Ridley get passed up by many characters in Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 before they finally got in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I’m reasonably confident. I haven’t had this gut feeling in a character since DQ getting content pre Brave leak or Ridley for base game. I actually am working on a big write up explaining why I think Crash is the e3 character, but I’ve been sidetracked. Should finish it this weekend.
unnamed.jpg

Looking forward to reading that! No pressure though...
How will y'all react if Crash isn't in?
I'd be pretty sad. I'd feel like Crash missed his chance to be with all of these characters in one game. I'd move on though. I know we can't have every video game icon there is, and I'm still beyond happy we finally got Banjo & Kazooie.
If someone underwhelming got in over him, I would be super salty.
I suppose who would be considered underwhelming is subjective, but I'm very confident we're getting a big reveal given the history of Smash at E3.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 314069
Looking forward to reading that! No pressure though...

I'd be pretty sad. I'd feel like Crash missed his chance to be with all of these characters in one game. I'd move on though. I know we can't have every video game icon there is, and I'm still beyond happy we finally got Banjo & Kazooie.

I suppose who would be considered underwhelming is subjective, but I'm very confident we're getting a big reveal given the history of Smash at E3.
Someone like that one dude from Dragalia Lost for an example.

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
If it makes you feel better, Euden is more likely to be Fighter 11 than Fighter 10. Definetly the kind of character Nintendo would end on, if you ask me...
True but even then, would still be underwhelming. At that point, would make more sense to end it off on a under rep 1st party franchise that everyone knows at least.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Guys.

Seriously, this may be one chance we have here.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Guys.

Seriously, this may be one chance we have here.
Is this real? I figured this would've been all over the news sites after a full day.
Edit: Never mind, it's just a speculation tweet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom