• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Don't know about you lot, but it seems kinda suspicious that Acti isn't already in the initial list of attendees, when they've always showed up at E3 when it was available in some form. Always announced something there, so I'd be surprised if they didn't even show up there to announce something relatively smaller like one of On the Run's season passes (keeping in mind that N. Sane's Future Tense was announced there instead of Spyro Reignited).

As for Dragonborn, I could see him get in as a Mii costume. Looks to me like he'd get the Altair treatment.
Yeah, a lot of companies seem to be missing at the moment. Not just Activision, but Sony and EA aren't there either. Granted, they could always come later, but it's something to keep in mind...

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I don't know, but Dragonborn to me always looked like some generic ass warrior / viking type character. Obviously I have no idea who Nintendo would choose for Smash representation, but he just feels visually like the most generic character imaginable and doesn't feel right (to me) for Smash at all. shrug

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, a lot of companies seem to be missing at the moment. Not just Activision, but Sony and EA aren't there either. Granted, they could always come later, but it's something to keep in mind...
Sony's case isn't that surprising, since they skipped out E3 2019 too (and intended to do it last year shortly before things went downhill society-wise).

Also, EA are probably still reeling from the FIFA 2021 incident.

Last edited:

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Crash and Rayman being the last two characters sounds like one of those "too good to be true" scenarios.

This happened to me but with Sora. One of those dreams you wish you'd never wake up from.
I don't think Sora will make it in because of Disney and the fact that Square Enix already has Sephiroth.

Crash and Rayman, on the other hand, are likely as both characters have variables working in their favour.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sony's case isn't that surprising, since they skipped out E3 2019 too (and intended to do it last year shortly before things went downhill society-wise).

Also, EA are probably still reeling from the FIFA 2021 incident.
In that case, what other companies aren't confirmed to be coming yet? I think I saw someone mention Square Enix aren't confirmed, but I haven't checked myself. Might be good info to have, just in case.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sorry for my ignorance, but who is Dragonborn?

Also, does the presence of Activision means anything regarding the possibility of Crash being revealed at e3?
To answer the first question, he's the player character from Todd Howard's Most-Favored Rereleaser Game, of which you may know as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

As for number 2, I honestly don't know, nor do I believe lack of presence means much for a possible reveal.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't know, but Dragonborn to me always looked like some generic ass warrior / viking type character. Obviously I have no idea who Nintendo would choose for Smash representation, but he just feels visually like the most generic character imaginable and doesn't feel right (to me) for Smash at all. shrug
I feel the same way, Not that it's impossible, But I'm probably in the minority that doesn't give a crap about Skyrim and find most Open World games intimidating.

While everyone has a different view of what can fit or make sense for the type of game Smash is, That franchise or most things from Bethesda never really crossed my mind as an "Obvious" choice for Smash.

Honestly it feels like a franchise that would fit in a lot more with "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" which has a much more mature western heavy type cast.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While Crash isn't one of my most wanted characters and I would greatly prefer Spyro, I am rooting for you guys as he deserves to get in for being one of the biggest gaming mascots in history and specifically being the mascot for the PS1. While Crash's inclusion won't excite me that much, he certainly in my eyes would be a better pick than most other characters and I would be very acceptable with it.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
I know the news about E3 isn't too surprising, but just seeing the official confirmation of an E3 taking place this year gives me so much more hope for Crash being revealed there.
My predictions are still Challenger 10 being revealed AND released in May, and Challenger 11 being revealed at E3 to be released later. As for who they are? I'm still predicting Lloyd for Challenger 10 and Crash for Challenger 11! 😊 👍

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the thing with PSASBR is that its aesthetics made it somehow grittier looking than Brawl, yet didn't mesh very well with what cartoony mascots it did have.
So, by that logic, the D-man would have fit right in, I guess? :drshrug:

Sony don't care for them no more...
They barely care about their own history in the first place. Sackboy was lucky to even come back at all.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Umm...Spike?...Sackboy?...Toro?....Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper?
I didn't say that it was "Only Mature" characters, Outside of the rated E characters it leans more towards Playstation's more mature demographic and unlike Ultimate it was rated T and even had minor swearing and didn't shy away from more realistic weapons.

Bottom Line: If there was sequel to PASBR, I'd highly expect 3rd party characters from more rated M Western franchises like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and GTA etc before they would ever come to Smash.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
View attachment 309698

Probably doesn't much in the grand scheme of things, but I find it interesting that E3 'liked' this tweet of someone showing passionate support of Crash to Smash. Now of course you might think "dont they do this a lot?" in terms of liking tweets like this?

Well actually, I looked back as far as last summer of 2020, they have not done such. Most of their likes are usually just promotional tweets or anything that involves them in certain events or of their own events (including E3) so them liking the tweet here is rather interesting.

Again, we shouldn't take this as a direct confirmation that he's in Smash or anything further then just an interesting interaction here because does it mean something? Probably not, but let's see when E3 rolls around in the Summer of whether or not it means something or not.
Apparently they've unliked it now. Yea, we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I find this hilarious. I can just imagine a manager losing their cool: "WTF DID YOU DO?! NOW THEY'RE GONNA READ INTO ****!"

To be fair, Rex was a unique case. He could only be purchased with FP1, and there is evidence to suggest it was supposed to be in the base game apparently. By comparison, Tails by all accounts was always meant to have his Mii Costume come back.

Also, and I feel bad for saying, but I think people are overestimating the chances of a second Sonic rep. Yeah, we got Sephiroth, but may I remind you Final Fantasy had TERRIBLE representation base game. Plus, Square Enix have actually been pretty supportive of Ultimate's post launch content, not only with characters, but Spirit Events as well. Legit, I think we're more likely to get a second Square Enix rep than a second Sonic rep.
It's true that Rex was a unique case, but my main point is that it's not like a costume is going to stop the Smash team from making a character if that's what they WANT to do. It's probably unlikely at this point, but I just think it's something to consider. Let's also not forget that Joker was technically a Sega character as well, and he brought along a bunch of content.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://venturebeat.com/2021/04/07/e3-is-back-and-may-help-clean-up-the-summer-game-mess/

Ya know, Jeff Grubb brings up a good point here. Most companies that won't rely on E3 are likely to do their own streams independently of it (such as Sony, Square-Enix and that Bandai Namco one that's been hinted for a while).

But here's the thing, where does that leave Activision? In a general sense, they usually rely on other people's events and streams, but why would they possibly settle with Summer Game Fest instead of E3 for that purpose?

Apparently they've unliked it now. Yea, we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I find this hilarious. I can just imagine a manager losing their cool: "WTF DID YOU DO?! NOW THEY'RE GONNA READ INTO ****!"

It's true that Rex was a unique case, but my main point is that it's not like a costume is going to stop the Smash team from making a character if that's what they WANT to do. It's probably unlikely at this point, but I just think it's something to consider. Let's also not forget that Joker was technically a Sega character as well, and he brought along a bunch of content.
I think the actual issue here is that Rex is one of those characters whose series Sak has a special preference for, and that tends to take priority over others, so it's not surprising to see his comfort zone being catered to if it suits Nintendo or whoever else's needs. So unless he loves Tails, it's all in Ninty and Sega's hands (or more specifically, what Aaron Webber decides), if they don't care about specific Sonic content not being as surprising anymore the minute they're promoted. Assuming the crisis doesn't somehow cripple Sega to the point that they can't even do any further Smash plans.

Also...
Activision
taking much action about their games or plans leaking, ever
What typically happens in regards to that is barely anyone believes the rumors, until they become true. Time will tell if this incident also applies or not.

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
https://venturebeat.com/2021/04/07/e3-is-back-and-may-help-clean-up-the-summer-game-mess/

Ya know, Jeff Grubb brings up a good point here. Most companies that won't rely on E3 are likely to do their own streams independently of it (such as Sony, Square-Enix and that Bandai Namco one that's been hinted for a while).

But here's the thing, where does that leave Activision? In a general sense, they usually rely on other people's events and streams, but why would they possibly settle with Summer Game Fest instead of E3 for that purpose?

I think the actual issue here is that Rex is one of those characters whose series Sak has a special preference for, and that tends to take priority over others, so it's not surprising to see his comfort zone being catered to if it suits Nintendo or whoever else's needs. So unless he loves Tails, it's all in Ninty and Sega's hands (or more specifically, what Aaron Webber decides). Assuming the crisis doesn't somehow cripple Sega to the point that they can't even do any further Smash plans.

Also...

What typically happens in regards to that is barely anyone believes the rumors, until they become true. Time will tell if this incident also applies or not.

Basically, the official E3 Twitter account randomly liked a tweet from a fellow Crash to Smash supporter and while it may look like it doesn't mean anything, I find it a little bit weird because they normally don't like these sort of tweets unless its a promotional tweet that they are involved in or literally anything that involves their own conference in announcements or whatever. But NEVER to these type of tweets like the one in the screenshot involving Crash.

Again, it probably doesn't mean anything, but still interesting to see nonetheless that E3 (in a way) does acknowledge the hype of Crash to Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Basically, the official E3 Twitter account randomly liked a tweet from a fellow Crash to Smash supporter and while it may look like it doesn't mean anything, I find it a little bit weird because they normally don't like these sort of tweets unless its a promotional tweet that they are involved in or literally anything that involves their own conference in announcements or whatever. But NEVER to these type of tweets like the one in the screenshot involving Crash.

Again, it probably doesn't mean anything, but still interesting to see nonetheless that E3 (in a way) does acknowledge the hype of Crash to Smash.
Yeah, this doesn't happen very often. It's one thing for a specific company's representative to positively respond to a fan-made post (like Square-Enix's Hashimoto did for a Sora render, before he shut himself up to not give people/his superiors the wrong idea), but this is kinda suspicious.

At any rate, we'll see if this amounts to anything or not. I'm still waiting to see if Acti gets any official involvement in upcoming big events at all.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Regarding Mii costumes, I'd say they deconfirm, but only for a time. It makes sense that they wouldn't add a Mii costume of someone they're already planning for a fighter. But they could change their minds with later DLC that wasn't planned at the time the costume was added (and we already know the DLC was not all planned from the start), as I very much doubt they'd refuse a character just on the grounds that they already made a costume.

So, the older the Mii costume is, the less of a hard deconfirm it becomes. Monster Hunter is basically out of the running for FP2 due to already having costumes in the same pass, but older costumes like Tails becoming actual fighters is very possible by this point.

Also, the same basically goes for assist trophies. Though they do have the additional problem of potential confusion (Waluigi and a Waluigi assist trophy at the same time for example), that only matters in casual play, where confusion and chaos is already the standard. The bigger issue for them is whether they'd make sense as a fighter, because a lot of them would only work as oddballs like Duck Hunt, at best. Relatively few would have obvious moveset potential.

Yeah, this doesn't happen very often. It's one thing for a specific company's representative to positively respond to a fan-made post (like Square-Enix's Hashimoto did for a Sora render, before he shut himself up to not give people/his superiors the wrong idea), but this is kinda suspicious.
It's odd either way. If Crash isn't in, it'd be dumb to risk giving people the wrong impression and pissing them off. If he is, it's odd that they'd spoil it by liking a random twitter post way before the actual reveal. I think what most likely happened is that an intern or bot liked a bunch of posts regarding E3 without proper consideration, or that some intern who runs the twitter account just liked it for their own reasons (either trolling or also wanting Crash), without any actual insider knowledge.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here's a counterpoint; AT programming is finicky to work with, just look at the :ultisabelle: rod glitch incident.
Hell, even adapting :ultsteve:'s blocks for every stage at all still resulted in some severe glitches to fix, so I don't think they'd feel the need to go to that much trouble to tweak increasingly-older code for ATs when effort can be saved for other things (like using actual fighters as bases for DLC).

Of course, there's still the possibility that the staff can get over that, but it simply isn't in their priorities and want to promote whatever might be the more surprising choices to go with. Old habits die hard like that. :drshrug:

It's odd either way. If Crash isn't in, it'd be dumb to risk giving people the wrong impression and pissing them off. If he is, it's odd that they'd spoil it by liking a random twitter post way before the actual reveal. I think what most likely happened is that an intern or bot liked a bunch of posts regarding E3 without proper consideration, or that some intern who runs the twitter account just liked it for their own reasons (either trolling or also wanting Crash), without any actual insider knowledge.
Again, Activision-related things being accidentally or intentionally leaked is nothing new, if it means anything.

Like the Nitro-Fueled datamines going on for so long that the staffers eventually caught on and decided to just troll everyone with the final secret character.
Like the Crash 4 concept art floating around until the artbook was eventually announced, as well as the one legitimate leak that talked about playable Cortex and multiple masks.
Like the Tony Hawk remakes being such a worse-kept secret that even a rapper openly blabbed about them.

If there's one thing we can count on, it's someone somewhere in the West having let their hand slip. If this is a legitimate "leak", at least this could easily be written off as no different than Koei Tecmo retweeting a spirit event.

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
Here's a counterpoint; AT programming is finicky to work with, just look at the :ultisabelle: rod glitch incident.
Hell, even adapting :ultsteve:'s blocks for every stage at all still resulted in some severe glitches to fix, so I don't think they'd feel the need to go to that much trouble to tweak increasingly-older code for ATs when effort can be saved for other things (like using actual fighters as bases for DLC).

Of course, there's still the possibility that the staff can get over that, but it simply isn't in their priorities and want to promote whatever might be the more surprising choices to go with. Old habits die hard like that. :drshrug:

Again, Activision-related things being accidentally or intentionally leaked is nothing new, if it means anything.

Like the Nitro-Fueled datamines going on for so long that the staffers eventually caught on and decided to just troll everyone with the final secret character.
Like the Crash 4 concept art floating around until the artbook was eventually announced, as well as the one legitimate leak that talked about playable Cortex and multiple masks.
Like the Tony Hawk remakes being such a worse-kept secret that even a rapper openly blabbed about them.

If there's one thing we can count on, it's someone somewhere in the West having let their hand slip. If this is a legitimate "leak", at least this could easily be written off as no different than Koei Tecmo retweeting a spirit event.
And that's not even counting the other non-Crash leaks that they've had happen (especially with COD)

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice

I'm just having a hard time believing why would the official E3 Twitter account like a post that could potentially spoil one of their biggest reveals. We shouldn't read too much into this.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
About that Crash at E3 tweet, do the people at E3 even know what Nintendo is going to show at all, in the first place? I ask because, well, I doubt that, and if not, I don't think that helps in the tweet meaning anything, if it ever did to begin with.

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
I'm just having a hard time believing why would the official E3 Twitter account like a post that could potentially spoil one of their biggest reveals. We shouldn't read too much into this.
All it is really is just acknowledgement of the hype and nothing else really. It's pretty dope, but not much to it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, this is just a dandy situation, isn't it?

Crash is currently a Schrodinger's Newcomer, being both confirmed and not considered simultaneously until Nintendo is ready to pull off some hat trick at E3, whatever it is. The only possible solid evidence (unrelated to the E3 tweet) that was found is easily written off as "Activision would never have something this huge leaked".

At this stage, I just wish that the forthcoming dead period of May would just disappear, and the current OTR season not reintroducing any other missing villains doesn't help. :drsad:

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
About that Crash at E3 tweet, do the people at E3 even know what Nintendo is going to show at all, in the first place? I ask because, well, I doubt that, and if not, I don't think that helps in the tweet meaning anything, if it ever did to begin with.
They prob do know some stuff ahead of time, but to what extent is always the question. Would they know Crash to Smash potentially? Maybe? But we can never know for sure. But like I said before, all it is in regards of the tweet is really nice acknowledgement of the hype, would it lead to the real deal? Who knows.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, this is just a dandy situation, isn't it?

Crash is currently a Schrodinger's Newcomer, being both confirmed and not considered simultaneously until Nintendo is ready to pull off some hat trick at E3, whatever it is. The only possible solid evidence (unrelated to the E3 tweet) that was found is easily written off as "Activision would never have something this huge leaked".

At this stage, I just wish that the forthcoming dead period of May would just disappear, and the current OTR season not reintroducing any other missing villains doesn't help. :drsad:
So this is how Geno fans felt...

Also, what's in OTR's current season?

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
They prob do know some stuff ahead of time, but to what extent is always the question. Would they know Crash to Smash potentially? Maybe? But we can never know for sure. But like I said before, all it is in regards of the tweet is really nice acknowledgement of the hype, would it lead to the real deal? Who knows.
I'd imagine Smash reveals are kept on a need-to-know basis as much as possible, or we'd be seeing a lot more leaks. Even if some people in E3 fit that description, I'd doubt the person running their twitter does.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If there is one type of Smash post that doesn't mean anything for sure, it's Wal-Mart's.

In all seriousness though, those lads are as much in the dark as anyone else is right now.

So this is how Geno fans felt...

Also, what's in OTR's current season?
Good thing Crash never had content in Smash before this, at least. 😓

A competition against Nitros Oxide, in what's his third modern appearance in a row.

I'd imagine Smash reveals are kept on a need-to-know basis as much as possible, or we'd be seeing a lot more leaks. Even if some people in E3 fit that description, I'd doubt the person running their twitter does.
If for some reason they knew, I guess that liking a post is the equivalent of a "cannot confirm nor deny" comment.

If Crash does come, it could be a coincidence, and no one would ever be certain of it.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I just checked their likes on Twitter

Still there.

EDIT: But like Brother AJ Brother AJ said, we shouldn't read TOO MUCH into it until we get something a little more substantial that has a little more meat to it.

View attachment 310364
Yea I just checked myself on a computer, and I see it too. I got confused because someone on that thread said E3 unliked it, and I couldn't see them when I looked at the likes on my phone...

Good lord I'm so tired of waiting. Lol

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
This is probably why basegame leaked more. A lot more people within the company needed to know about the release of a full game than DLC.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think Crash has as good a chance in Smash as any, but like, E3 liked this post about this axolotl, so I dunno guys, perhaps whoever runs E3's page just happens to like random tweets. https://twitter.com/AngelouO_o/status/1379575815285915656

I don't think them liking a tweet with Crash in it means anything at all.

Now, if an axolotl and Crash are announced as Smash DLC at E3, I'll eat my words for sure.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You know, I use to be so sure Crash would be coming as one of the last newcomers for Ultimate. But now, I'm not so sure anymore since no one is truly a lock. I have had some predictions thrown out here and there, but I have no real idea how Ultimate's DLC lineup is going to end as Sakurai and co are so unpredictable.

Top Bottom