• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I've been looking through several subreddits and it appears he's gotten stuff right, but also gotten stuff wrong, which I suppose is the nature of things. I thought this was the guy that said Crash was cancelled again before the announcement of Crash 4 a few weeks ago.
It wasn't so much that Crash was cancelled again as much as it was "things aren't what people think". At least, that's what I've gathered. Problem is, Crash fans wound up exposing their bad side here. Feel bad for Liam...

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
It wasn't so much that Crash was cancelled again as much as it was "things aren't what people think". At least, that's what I've gathered. Problem is, Crash fans wound up exposing their bad side here. Feel bad for Liam...
I see. I won't put a ton of weight into his tweets, but I'll at least remember them.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
And you're being too overoptimistic and overconfident. There's a fairly good chance Crash can actually miss the cut.

Remember when folks were fairly certain on Resident Evil making it?

What about King K. Rool when everyone was certain he'd be the Ballot winner?

Not saying he won't happen but don't treat it like he's guaranteed and a lock. For all we know the "big" character could be Monster Hunter, and Chun-Li (First female fighting character and female video game characters for that matter too, definitely E3 reveal-worthy), arguably Ryu Hayabusa as well being probably gaming's mostic iconic ninja and classic NES icons.
I haven't been seeing anyone, at least on here, say he's a lock... You on the other hand said his chances "are good as dead." I honestly don't see how you could have this opinion at this point. It's certainly a pessimistic outlook. I understand wanting to be cautious, but not because of all this "theme of the pass" talk.

For one thing, no one can seem to decide what exactly the theme IS. I've seen that it's about "revisiting old ideas" or "using content that they couldn't get into the base game in time." It isn't apparent that Steve or Sephiroth consistently fit either of these "themes." We have no clear indication that said characters were intended for anything other than Ultimate DLC. Of course, we like to make things "fit" and see patterns, so we draw conclusions that really have no strong evidence in favor of them.

It is clear that developers often like to use ideas that weren't possible earlier for DLC, and I do think that's going on here, but there's absolutely nothing that would allow us to conclude that's ALL that they're doing with FP2.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If Crash Bandicoot isn't one of the final 2 DLC characters then he might end up getting a deluxe mii costume.

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
If Crash Bandicoot isn't one of the final 2 DLC characters then he might end up getting a deluxe mii costume.
That would just be completely tone-deaf from both Nintendo and Sakurai. Crash Bandicoot is way too big of a character to get the Mii costume treatment. It would be the equivalent of making someone like Sonic or Mega Man a Mii costume.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
That would just be completely tone-deaf from both Nintendo and Sakurai. Crash Bandicoot is way too big of a character to get the Mii costume treatment. It would be the equivalent of making someone like Sonic or Mega Man a Mii costume.
Well Sans, Cuphead and Bomberman are incredibly famous characters and they got deluxe mii costumes, because of time management. I would actually prefer Sans, Cuphead, Bomberman, and Crash to be playable.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not to sound rude, but didn't people say that about Geno?
Crash is a different story as Crash was Sony's PlayStation mascot in the 90s who was going toe to toe with Mario and Sonic in the video game wars of the 90s. Crash deserves nothing more than the playable character treatment.

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Not to sound rude, but didn't people say that about Geno?
Crash Bandicoot and Geno's situations aren't similar in the slightest. While Geno does have a fairly big fanbase, at the end of the day he's still a side character from one Mario RPG. He really doesn't have that much popularity in comparison to Crash, who was one of the biggest platforming mascots of the 90's, going toe to toe with Mario and Sonic, not to mention how the franchise has had a huge revival recently.

There's honestly no point in comparing Crash and Geno.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, sorry if caused something with the Geno comparison. I'll admit, we only have 2 slots left, it seems guaranteed at this point both Lloyd and Monster Hunter will come back eventually (at least in my opinion), and I'm... getting a bit nervous, not gonna lie.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean aesthetically speaking, there are a few major parts of Resident Evil that may not go over well in a family game.
Maybe, but that’s not the main point. The main point is iconic third-party franchises not getting playable representation is not that weird or unusual.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
While I have no history with Resident Evil, But respects it's legacy and not that it can't happen, But personally I never looked at that franchise and said to myself "Yeah that's an absolute perfect fit and screams Smash Bros."
I think they meant it more as in a "Resident Evil deserves to be in Smash" kinda way. It DID help revolutionize the horror genre.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
While I have no history with Resident Evil, But respects it's legacy and not that it can't happen, But personally I never looked at that franchise and said to myself...

"Yeah that's an absolute perfect fit for Smash Bros."
Maybe, but the Marvel vs Capcom series has proven that Resident Evil characters can be made into fighters.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Maybe, but that’s not the main point. The main point is iconic third-party franchises not getting playable representation is not that weird or unusual.
Pretty much almost every single iconic 3rd party franchise merits at least 1 playable character.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Yea, you bring up a good point. I've thought about this as well. It's hard to know exactly how they decide whether to give a series a Mii Costume or a spirit event. I've thought that only huge franchises like RE would get spirit events, but then you have Altair and Lloyd getting a mii costume. Then you have to try and justify how those characters aren't big ENOUGH, and it all just gets really arbitrary.

I suppose it just comes down to a gut feeling that Crash is either going to be a character or nothing.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think they meant it more as in a "Resident Evil deserves to be in Smash" kinda way. It DID help revolutionize the horror genre.
Maybe, but the Marvel vs Capcom series has proven that Resident Evil characters can be made into fighters.
Good point, But while there are exceptions like Snake (Favor for Kojima By Sakurai), Smash Bros "Core" identity heavily favors certain archtypes like platforming mascots and in recent years JRPG/Swordsmen which probably explains why they get speculated on the most for a game like Smash.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Interesting, although I have some reserves with the orchestra due to DQ being DQ.
That's when they bring the synthesizer on stage... :4pacman:
also also orchestra leak is dumb and bad, it's literally 80 songs, when the original concert had a tracklist of 15, and was an hour long, there is no way there's actually going to be as many songs as mentioned in the "leak".
Well to be fair, the leaker said those were the songs they were "considering" for the orchestra, not that every song would be used.
also also also orchestral music is bad and I hate it which is the true reason it's fake
Wat. Lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Originally accidental double post lol.

Anywho, what music do y’all think would be in Crash’s trailer? I was debating between N Samity Beach, Warp Room, and the IAT theme.
I want remixes of the title screen music and Hang Eight from Crash 2 to be some music he brings with him.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While I have no history with Resident Evil, But respects it's legacy and not that it can't happen, But personally I never looked at that franchise and said to myself...

"Yeah that's a perfect fit and screams Smash Bros."
I feel like Resident Evil is one of those few legendary legacy franchises that don't really need a rep just for the sake of representing Resident Evil in the roster or having a FPS rep. I really don't care that much if Resident Evil ever makes it into the roster as I think there are other video game franchises that would bring more unique characters than Resident Evil as all you have with Jill and Leon is people with a gun, knife, ect that would be pretty boring fighters in my opinion. I feel like Master Chief and Doom Slayer could bring more to the table than them even Lara Croft.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

"Yeah that's a perfect fit and screams Smash Bros."
I feel like Resident Evil is one of those few legendary legacy franchises that don't really need a rep just for the sake of representing Resident Evil in the roster or having a FPS rep. I really don't care that much if Resident Evil ever makes it into the roster as I think there are other video game franchises that would bring more unique characters than Resident Evil as all you have with Jill and Leon is people with a gun, knife, ect that would be pretty boring fighters in my opinion. I feel like Master Chief and Doom Slayer could bring more to the table than them even Lara Croft.
I can understand that a Resi rep doesn’t seem that fun on paper, but like True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior said, MvC proved that they can be made into fighters.

Of course, Smash would probably take a different approach; maybe something closer to the original 3 games on PS1, where you select weapons from a menu and have to carefully manage your resources.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I can understand that a Resi rep doesn’t seem that fun on paper, but like True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior said, MvC proved that they can be made into fighters.

Of course, Smash would probably take a different approach; maybe something closer to the original 3 games on PS1, where you select weapons from a menu and have to carefully manage your resources.
I wonder if they would be able to use their usual equipment. I mean, it would look kinda weird if somebody like Leon could happily use normal firearms and knives, but Snake can only use CQC and explosives. However, it would work fine, and it'd show that SB's philosophy towards character design isn't always as strict in regard to what would be considered "dangerous" for the target demo.

Knowing Smash, we'd be more likely to have the likes of Mr.X or Nemesis before any of the protags.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
PapaGenos recently uploaded a video a bit ago and he has presented a potential major Crash leak.

Jump to around 13:20 minutes in to the video for his explanation. I'm planning on adding this to The List, however I would take this with a grain of salt as their is always a chance that this could have been a lucky guess, although this is a pretty interesting leak nonetheless.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
PapaGenos recently uploaded a video a bit ago and he has presented a potential major Crash leak.

Jump to around 13:20 minutes in to the video for his explanation. I'm planning on adding this to The List, however I would take this with a grain of salt as their is always a chance that this could have been a lucky guess, although this is a pretty interesting leak nonetheless.
You and I are always ready to jump on the next Papagenos video. You beat me again! I was just about to post this.

Yea, we should be cautious, but this leak is interesting. I think I agree with him that it's plausible that something like this would leak due to people needing to reherse.

****. I'm getting hopeful again. Lol

Last edited:

rfarleydude97

Smash Apprentice
You and I are always ready to jump on the next Papagenos video. You beat me again! I was just about to post this.

Yea, we should be cautious, but this leak is interesting. I think i agree with him that it's plausible that something like this would leak due to people needing to reherse.

Make that three, as soon as it was posted, went to watch it immediately. Tho I never ended posting it earlier because I figured one of you two would before I did LOL

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I actually thought for a moment that with "another Minecraft Steve situation" you could be referring to how Minecraft in Smash was being planned for five years, the same way that this rumored "five year plan" for Crash includes the character being in Smash by 2021.
That's equally likely. Unlike Microsoft, Nintendo doesn't have as much leverage with Activision so I could see negotiations taking longer for his inclusion.

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice

Yea, we should be cautious, but this leak is interesting. I think I agree with him that it's plausible that something like this would leak due to people needing to reherse.

Now I fear that I'm going to start having hope in that "concert leak" being real. It all depends on Monster Hunter returning or not as a Mii costume. If those costumes aren't shown in the next Sakurai Presents, then that leak could possibly gain more veracity.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Now I fear that I'm going to start having hope in that "concert leak" being real. It all depends on Monster Hunter returning or not as a Mii costume. If those costumes aren't shown in the next Sakurai Presents, then that leak could possibly gain more veracity.
And that would make it hurt even more if it turns out to be fake. I remember Cacomallow...

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
To be fair it probably is fake. Ken doesn’t have his song in the concert lineup
Well tbf, the Smash Ultimate roster is so huge that I wouldn't put it past someone to overlook a character on accident. Of course, I'm not saying this leak is real, but I don't think that 100% proves its fake.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Some more stray thoughts I had on the orchestra rumor:

1. I don't think Ken's absence is any sort of smoking gun against it. People aren't perfect, and it's not exactly rare to write out huge lists and accidentally omit something.

2. This definitely seems like something Sakurai would love to do. He's clearly very proud about the music in this game and pretty passionate about it as well.

3. This is a game where, at this point, I can't see them doing the final presentation and saying "Okay here's your last character, have fun". This was a gigantic undertaking and I feel like there will be something to commemorate the game finishing up on content, whatever that is. Not saying it will be this concert.

4. Crash and Monster Hunter have pretty universal appeal. I'm still iffy on the latter but I don't think there would be a lot of salt if those were the last two.

5. Really the biggest issue for me is rights for these songs and time. If they wanted to give each individual character a song and have it be three hours, that's ridiculous. If they wanted to do medleys or movements of all five Smash games and highlight the newcomers for each game in said movements, that seems a bit more palatable? Also I have to imagine getting some of these tunes could be a licensing nightmare, but who knows how negotiations went for these overall.

6. I can't imagine this is real because there hasn't been any major DLC leak this far in advance, especially for FP2, but if something this scale is happening I could see word getting out. Who knows anymore with this crazy train.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
Monster Hunter isn't especially unpopular, but literally any rep unfortunate enough to fill the last slot is going to get a lot of salt, unless there's another fighter's pass revealed. Just because there's no more "well, maybe next time" for people who didn't get their preferred rep. It's the final deconfirmation.

Top Bottom