• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hmm... I wonder if we are going to have E3 this year. That is definitely where they'll show off Crash if he's in. I heard some people saying awhile back that Nintendo went towards the Activision table back in E3 of 2019. The year before at E3 2018 people said the same thing about them approaching Microsoft at the event and year later we got Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. Perhaps Nintendo and Activision were discussing about the Crash Bandicoot license and getting him into Smash. :grinch:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Just out of curiosity, Are you gonna be playing the PS2 trilogy's on the Playstation 2 or the HD ports on PS3?

I grew up with the Gamecube so I never really got to play any of them, But I always thought Ratchet & Clank looked like a really cool series and Sly Coopers style and setting looked very appealing to me too.

I have only played the Ratchet & Clank (2016) reboot when I used to have a PS4, But really enjoyed it and "Rift Apart" is my most anticipated Playstation 5 game at the moment if I ever do pick a PS5 over the Xbox.

My sister managed to get a free PS3 a couple years back and just uses it occasionally for streaming, But if I get some time in the future, I'm gonna try to make an effort to get some of the PS2 HD trilogy's along with the Ratchet & Clank: Future trilogy as well.
I’m playing them on the PS3. I have a buddy who’s a big fan of Ratchet/Jak/Sly who vouched for those ports. He said the PS4 port of Jak 2(Either 2 or 3), was unplayable or else I would’ve went with those versions.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I’m playing them on the PS3. I have a buddy who’s a big fan of Ratchet/Jak/Sly who vouched for those ports. He said the PS4 port of Jak 2(Either 2 or 3), was unplayable or else I would’ve went with those versions.
I never noticed anything wrong with the PS4 ports of the Jak and Daxter games. Games worked just as well as they did on the PS2 as far as I could tell. Haven't played the PS3 ports but they have some visual issues that shouldn't ruin the experience.

The Ratchet and Clank ports have several issues but are at least playable aside from Gladiator/Deadlocked. Really wish they get updated ports that truly give the games a definitive version because even the games that work could use better ports.

Have no experience with the Sly ports.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Sly ports are, to put it lightly, a technical disaster for the first two games:

• The HD version of Sly 2: Band of Thieves is prone to random freezing, and sometimes, all sounds will go missing, and quitting the game when this happens will freeze your PS3 also. Despite all these problems, Sony has not bothered to patch it at all.
  • The HD version of the original Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus is missing some music from the original version. For example, in the PS2 version's prologue, a saxophone and accordion would join the background music once you made it inside the police headquarters. The HD version, for some inexplicable reason, removes this dynamic element from its soundtrack — instead, playing the same music loop through the whole mission. Also, the music often gets infinitesimally out of sync. Very hard to pick up on and easy to ignore except for the Mz. Ruby boss fight. The notes can play a millisecond before or after when you need to press it, and how badly they are out of sync can change from section-to-section, so there's no adapting. Easiest way to win is to mute the YV and go by visuals.
Ironically enough, they were ported by Sanzaru, who would go on to do the fourth game.

Hmm... I wonder if we are going to have E3 this year. That is definitely where they'll show off Crash if he's in. I heard some people saying awhile back that Nintendo went towards the Activision table back in E3 of 2019. The year before at E3 2018 people said the same thing about them approaching Microsoft at the event and year later we got Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. Perhaps Nintendo and Activision were discussing about the Crash Bandicoot license and getting him into Smash. :grinch:
Even if E3 is denied again, they could always show him off in a standalone announcement during June regardless. Acti sees it as an extremely important month for Crash-related matters, and could have negotiated for a reveal to happen then.

Last edited:

JustASora/CrashSupporter

Smash Apprentice
Where did you hear that?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Even without COVID, E3 this year seemed like something that might not happen for a few reasons.

Mainly, E3 has kind of outlived its purpose. E3 existed back in the day so that vendors would be able to see new games, new peripherals and the like and market them to stores. It was so that the owners of a Funkoland or Gamestop or Blockbuster could see what they should order for their store to keep up. Nowadays though, E3 has struggled because it has had its growing pains since that model just is kind of outdated. Nintendo, who I usually would say is behind the times, realized a while ago that you do not need a shock and awe strategy at E3 to make a splash. To be honest, the direct strategy was actually a good move in the online environment. The best move E3 can make in my eyes to stay relevant is to make a shift to being more of a convention since the current model is not sustainable. There were talks even before COVID that E3 2019/2020 might be the last E3, and unless they rebrand and evolve it might be.

I will say though that I doubt these meetings happened at a table at e3. It is more likely the negotiations would happen outside of E3, like at a mutual lunch to discuss things. The fact Nintendo did approach activision there is a promising sign though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say though that I doubt these meetings happened at a table at e3. It is more likely the negotiations would happen outside of E3, like at a mutual lunch to discuss things. The fact Nintendo did approach activision there is a promising sign though.
Yeah, I mean was E3 even used to negotiate for :ultsteve:? No. It's not the end-all, be-all for meetings. Whether meetings happen there or not is irrelevant; it just happens to have been a convenient spot for it to happen at the time.

Further negotiations and meetings can occur online if there isn't a proper time and place for this stuff.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Even without COVID, E3 this year seemed like something that might not happen for a few reasons.

Mainly, E3 has kind of outlived its purpose. E3 existed back in the day so that vendors would be able to see new games, new peripherals and the like and market them to stores. It was so that the owners of a Funkoland or Gamestop or Blockbuster could see what they should order for their store to keep up. Nowadays though, E3 has struggled because it has had its growing pains since that model just is kind of outdated. Nintendo, who I usually would say is behind the times, realized a while ago that you do not need a shock and awe strategy at E3 to make a splash. To be honest, the direct strategy was actually a good move in the online environment. The best move E3 can make in my eyes to stay relevant is to make a shift to being more of a convention since the current model is not sustainable. There were talks even before COVID that E3 2019/2020 might be the last E3, and unless they rebrand and evolve it might be.

I still want to know this source that claims Nintendo approached Activision at E3... I can't find anything about it.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice

I think its worth noting too that end of 2021 is just the max time they will take but they may finish it way earlier, meaning the reveals dont need to coincide with a June one.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think its worth noting too that end of 2021 is just the max time they will take but they may finish it way earlier, meaning the reveals dont need to coincide with a June one.
I think a June announcement would really just apply to Crash since, like I said, Acti likes that month as the time to announce or release things, for some reason. Crash and the last/second-to-last fighter would presumably be released by October at the maximum.

Though, I'll just humor this for a moment; as unlikely as it is, I guess they could use the period of March, when On The Run launches, to announce Crash, seeing as it also is when the mysterious Beenox announcement of 3/22/21 occurs. Other than that, it and June are the only periods I can see this probably happen.

Besides, we're in the start of 2021 and we're nowhere near knowing what the first Nintendo presentation of the year is, let alone a Smash one for the 4th pass character. In all likelihood, we won't know who the next character is until we're near the next amiibo wave's release.

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
That's one problem I do have with CTR. If the person in first gets a bit of a lead and knows what they're doing, there's very little anyone behind them can do but hope they screw up. The items just aren't really strong enough to catch up to them, especially on tracks with blue fire turbos, and more often will just widen the gap as everyone fights for second place. Especially in Nitro Fueled with the most powerful items like Warp Orbs and Clocks being made rarer.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I don't think I have ever really posed my predictions in this thread, and since this is now my go-to thread, I decided to share my predictions with all of you!

Smash Ultimate Predictions Post-Sephiroth.png

Challenger Pack 9: Ryu Hayabusa - Ryu has been a commonly heard name from insiders for almost three years now, and every character in Fighters Pass Volume 2 were commonly rumored characters from way back in the day. As such, Fighters Pass Volume 2 may very well be the Pass where a lot of these long-time rumored characters may finally get in the game. We also got Age Of Calamity Spirits added recently, which are Koei Tecmo Spirits. A similar case happened where we got a few Square Enix Spirit Events in the lead-up to Sephiroth's reveal. Ryu also lines up extremely well to be the next character because Koei Tecmo will be announcing things in March that will make the fans go "Finally!" People believe that Ninja Gaiden may have a pretty major presence here as it is a heavily demanded franchise to come back, and with the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy being leaked, I'd say its all but guaranteed that that will be revealed their. The Banjo, Terry, and Byleth Amiibo release in March and Amiibo Theory has been a phenomenal indicator of when we will get our next reveals, so to reveal Ryu Hayabusa in March to coincide with the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy would make a whole lotta sense, and to me, Ryu Hayabusa seems like the current frontrunner for who the next character will most likely be.

Challenger Pack 10: Crash Bandicoot - I don't think I really need to go over why I'm predicting Crash, as you can check The ListTM down at my signature. All I will say is that Crash still seems like an extremely obvious choice and just like Ryu and the other FPV2 characters, Crash has also been heavily heard in insider circles for almost three years now, and its very likely all of those rumors will pan out in the end.

Challenger Pack 11: Siegfried - This is my wild card choice and a sleeper pick choice. In case some of you are unaware, Siegfried is a character from Soul Calibur. A lot of people usually predict Lloyd Irving as the next Namco rep, but now I don't really see it happening. I really think Sakurai is going to add back every third-party Smash 4 outfit with each wave. However, I still think a Namco rep is fairly likely and it is extremely odd how Namco develops this game, yet they only have one character with PAC-MAN. My original prediction was a Dark Souls rep, but honestly the more I think about it, the more I lean towards a Soul Calibur rep being more likely. I also went with Siegfried since he ultimately is the main protagonist of the franchise. I don't think their is a whole lot of evidence in favor of this happening, but I do expect some sort of unexpected character in this Pass, and I still think the lack of another Namco rep is extremely bizarre, so I just went for this one. After all, Nintendo did collaborate with Namco in allowing Link to be in Soul Calibur, so I can see them collaborating again to get Siegfried in to Smash.

Anyways, these are my predictions as of right now. I think this is a pretty solid line-up and if I at least get Crash, then I'll be very happy.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think I have ever really posed my predictions in this thread, and since this is now my go-to thread, I decided to share my predictions with all of you!

View attachment 298904

Challenger Pack 9: Ryu Hayabusa - Ryu has been a commonly heard name from insiders for almost three years now, and every character in Fighters Pass Volume 2 were commonly rumored characters from way back in the day. As such, Fighters Pass Volume 2 may very well be the Pass where a lot of these long-time rumored characters may finally get in the game. We also got Age Of Calamity Spirits added recently, which are Koei Tecmo Spirits. A similar case happened where we got a few Square Enix Spirit Events in the lead-up to Sephiroth's reveal. Ryu also lines up extremely well to be the next character because Koei Tecmo will be announcing things in March that will make the fans go "Finally!" People believe that Ninja Gaiden may have a pretty major presence here as it is a heavily demanded franchise to come back, and with the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy being leaked, I'd say its all but guaranteed that that will be revealed their. The Banjo, Terry, and Byleth Amiibo release in March and Amiibo Theory has been a phenomenal indicator of when we will get our next reveals, so to reveal Ryu Hayabusa in March to coincide with the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy would make a whole lotta sense, and to me, Ryu Hayabusa seems like the current frontrunner for who the next character will most likely be.

Challenger Pack 10: Crash Bandicoot - I don't think I really need to go over why I'm predicting Crash, as you can check The ListTM down at my signature. All I will say is that Crash still seems like an extremely obvious choice and just like Ryu and the other FPV2 characters, Crash has also been heavily heard in insider circles for almost three years now, and its very likely all of those rumors will pan out in the end.

Challenger Pack 11: Siegfried - This is my wild card choice and a sleeper pick choice. In case some of you are unaware, Siegfried is a character from Soul Calibur. A lot of people usually predict Lloyd Irving as the next Namco rep, but now I don't really see it happening. I really think Sakurai is going to add back every third-party Smash 4 outfit with each wave. However, I still think a Namco rep is fairly likely and it is extremely odd how Namco develops this game, yet they only have one character with PAC-MAN. My original prediction was a Dark Souls rep, but honestly the more I think about it, the more I lean towards a Soul Calibur rep being more likely. I also went with Siegfried since he ultimately is the main protagonist of the franchise. I don't think their is a whole lot of evidence in favor of this happening, but I do expect some sort of unexpected character in this Pass, and I still think the lack of another Namco rep is extremely bizarre, so I just went for this one. After all, Nintendo did collaborate with Namco in allowing Link to be in Soul Calibur, so I can see them collaborating again to get Siegfried in to Smash.

Anyways, these are my predictions as of right now. I think this is a pretty solid line-up and if I at least get Crash, then I'll be very happy.
I think Nightmare would make more sense since he's more involved with the story and he's always on the cover for the games. But Siegfried and Nightmare are the same person so it really shouldn't matter.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I think Nightmare would make more sense since he's more involved with the story and he's always on the cover for the games. But Siegfried and Nightmare are the same person so it really shouldn't matter.
Yeah I was thinking of Nightmare too, but I ended up choosing Siegfried just because he is the protagonist. I'm not too knowledgeable about Soul Calibur, but I guess if they wanted, they could have Siegfried and Nightmare be alts of each other.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah I was thinking of Nightmare too, but I ended up choosing Siegfried just because he is the protagonist. I'm not too knowledgeable about Soul Calibur, but I guess if they wanted, they could have Siegfried and Nightmare be alts of each other.
In Soul Calibur and Tekken's cases, the antagonist is the face of the franchise pretty much. So it wouldn't surprise me if they go with Nightmare.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Should we get technical for a second and remember that Banjo and Steve are technically owned by different people?

Steve is Mojang property. While a Microsoft subsidiary, i really doubt Banjo had anything to do with Steve's negotation. Hell, before Steve most people said that Banjo happened after some talks with Phil Spencer in E3 2018

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
That's one problem I do have with CTR. If the person in first gets a bit of a lead and knows what they're doing, there's very little anyone behind them can do but hope they screw up. The items just aren't really strong enough to catch up to them, especially on tracks with blue fire turbos, and more often will just widen the gap as everyone fights for second place. Especially in Nitro Fueled with the most powerful items like Warp Orbs and Clocks being made rarer.
I feel like...they should've added in CNK powerups, and balanced them to actually stop 1st place from marathoning.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oof this might be a big blow on everyone's favorite marsupial's chance.

The OG Post of the Reddit post was deleted (comments still there), but the 4Chan leak has the stuff

Pretty much a Crash Cartoon was worked on, but apparently canceled after a year of work. Apparently it was over the tone of the Cartoon, as Activison and Amazon wanted different thing. It's not officially deconfirmed, but there is actual footage and stuff, so if this was fake this person really put in the effort

For what this has to do with Smash, nothing specifically, it just shows how these things take alot of discussion and negotiations. Between something like this happening, and the thing with Ash in MK11, that's why it's important all the details are ironed out when it comes to negotiating for characters in Smash

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Oof this might be a big blow on everyone's favorite marsupial's chance.

I doubt this will have any real effect on anything. If anything it shows Activision has a brand they want to keep intact and they had a dispute on how the cartoon handled it. Given how smash handles third parties I doubt this is an issue (especially if the five year plan is legit). Furthermore, the pass was already decided on...in November 2019 at the latest. Doubt this played a role whatsoever.

That being said, if this is true it sucks cuz I see potential for a half decent show. Oh well, shame it didn’t go further.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
You mean like;
  • Ice Mine
  • Static Orb
  • Red-Eye Missile
Well, the ice mine forcing Ice physics, or the tornado that worked as a Warp Orb that actually stops everyone from moving for a little bit would be nice. I mean, even the juiced red beaker, which slows you to a fault and randomizes your item (if you have one) ends up being a very minor setback. In some ways, Mario Kart can occasionally do this as well in 8/8 Deluxe, but it's much more balanced there because the boost system isn't make or break. If there's one change I'd give CTR, it's balancing the boost system a little better.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yes, because random 4chan posts are the most secure source of info. At worst all I am seeing is theories of why it got cancelled and people ****posting. The only real valid thing I think this shows is Activision is very protective of their brands. Which to be honest, we know. Part of why the Blitzchung affair happened in the first place is Activision blizzard wanted to protect Hearthstone in the Chinese market. Does that make it ok? No, but it is another example that Activision’s bottom line is profit driven.

Even if we assume that Activision would be hard to work with in terms of Smash, Nintendo has worked with companies that are known to be...difficult. Square is notoriously protective of their properties, especially FF7. Konami is known to be a hassle to work with. Heck, Nintendo brought Minecraft to smash, the biggest game of all time. I’m sure that if Nintendo could appease those companies, they can work with Activision. Heck, if you buy the five year plan leak (which a lot of Activision leakers said is legit), Activision wants him in smash.

Does this show Activision can be a bit protective of their Ip? Of course. But as of yet the only concrete stuff we have on the cancellation is...it is cancelled. There is no strong evidence on why it was cancelled, and tbh so long as no one on the show publicly talks as to specifically why this show was cancelled, I think this is a non factor in speculation.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
In that case, can I get a reminder of what was on the five-year plan? Just wanna double check something.
The cartoon wasn’t on it, but at the same time this was likely made way later (2019/2020) so that means that Activision saw an opportunity to push crash more. Besides, it doesn’t matter since it got cancelled anyway.

but it was
2017: n sane
2018: port it
2019: ctr
2020: crash mobile and crash 4
2021: crash in smash

Last edited:
Top Bottom