• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well now that were in 2021 and we are at the halfway point of Fighter Pass 2 with only 3 spots left to go and unless a Fighter Pass gets announced, This may very well may be my final year here on Smashboards and chances are I will likely retire from Smash speculation.

In 2018 I got my 2nd most wanted in King K. Rool and 2019 I got my most wanted in Banjo-Kazooie and after they made it in I was pretty close to calling it quits when it comes to Smash speculation, But when I looked at the roster and while I was mostly satisfied with it, It still felt like something obvious was missing and of course that something was Crash Bandicoot.

If Crash Bandicoot is gonna make it into Smash than there is absolutely no better time than now for him to make it in, This could be another big year for Crash as the past few years are the most momentum the franchise has had since the late 90's/Early 2000's, N.Sane Trilogy, CTR: Nitro Fueled and It's About Time have all lined up well with Smash's window opening and with Crash 4 very likely expected to get a Switch port sometime this year on the series 25th anniversary.

Fighter Pass 2 has been huge disappointment for me so far, But if anyone can salvage it it's Crash Bandicoot.

So here's to 2021 "Team Bandicoot" and let's show everyone in the Smash community that Crash Bandicoot is a Smash candidate to be reckoned with.

I wish I can find a GIF, But In the words of N. Tropy...

View attachment 298058
Disappointing eh...

well it sounds like you, just like I, prefer those cartoony and 90s based characters.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Disappointing eh...

well it sounds like you, just like I, prefer those cartoony and 90s based characters.
Frankly, I kinda feel the same-ish? I like when Smash does the more cartoony and fun characters like Steve/Alex or Piranha Plant. Terry gets a pass for me cuz fighting games are great though.

I would swap out a few of the fighters if I could, with a major change being Slime for Hero. On a personal note, I now kind of feel Ninjara, Spring Man or Ribbon Girl would've had more interesting movesets than Min Min. Unfortunately, I think the smash devs focused way too hard on trying to make her feel authentic to ARMS, but they ended up with a moveset that feels really odd and uncomfortable to use.

If it weren't for characters like Steve or Banjo, I probably wouldn't have gotten either pass. I like all kinds of games, but it'll never not feel weird that Pass 1 has 4 humans and a cartoon bear. Pass 2 so far has had anything but normal humans, which makes it feel a little more bearable. Really hoping Crash makes it just so I have more than 2.5/6 of the pass that feels worth it to me (sorry Min Min, I only like that she adds ARMS content at best).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I feel like that's the biggest threat to Crash getting into Smash. Of course, Smash has a much larger budget no doubt, but Activision knows that too, and they also know Crash would be a huge addition. I could see them being greedy and demanding too much money to license Crash, such that Nintendo couldn't negotiate a satisfactory compromise.
Yeah, but I could also see them making the price fair or at least doable for Nintendo since they would be idiots to not grab some DLC dough from Ultimate's success.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Yeah I have always leaned moreso towards the more cartoony characters, since I feel like they fit in more with Smash and they are much more appealing and interesting to look at. Human characters on the other hand personally have boring designs to me and the games these human characters come from are generally unappealing to me. That's not to say I hate some of the human characters, as I'm pretty fond of Cloud and Snake, but I will always prefer the more cartoony-style of characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah I have always leaned moreso towards the more cartoony characters, since I feel like they fit in more with Smash and they are much more appealing and interesting to look at. Human characters on the other hand personally have boring designs to me and the games these human characters come from are generally unappealing to me. That's not to say I hate some of the human characters, as I'm pretty fond of Cloud and Snake, but I will always prefer the more cartoony-style of characters.
That's why I'm such a big Rareware fan because most of their classic IPs has nothing but cartoon looking characters. Not only their games are masterpieces, but the designs for a lot of their characters are very charming and artistic to look at. Classic Rareware was basically the Looney Tunes of gaming.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think there's a little too much paranoia over this.

These days, whether or not a Crash-related thing gouges out profit for profit's sake is looking like a case-by-case basis at the developer's discretion, as the Guitar Hero and Skylanders cancellations seem to have calmed Acti considerably and made them shift their priorities for non-CoD things.

• N. Sane Trilogy getting a couple of extra levels for free, because why not?
  • Nitro-Fueled's DLC being largely free outside of a few promo items, and it's up to the player whether they should play or use the (completely optional) transactions for the rest of the cars and cosmetics, while the extra tracks and hidden racers get added by default.
  • It's About Time having no DLC whatsoever, because Toys For Bob just doesn't do that, apparently. There's a couple of skins earned via external methods, but that's it.
  • On the Run, being a mobile phone game by King (makers of Candy Crush), logically has microtransactions involved to some degree.
If anything, if Acti really needed extra bucks from including Crash in Smash, they would simply ask about Mii costumes for some of the stuff within the Acti-Blizzard umbrella, like a Spyro hat or Overwatch costumes. It's not like this is a Koichi Sugiyama situation or anything.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think there's a little too much paranoia over this.

These days, whether or not a Crash-related thing gouges out profit for profit's sake is looking like a case-by-case basis at the developer's discretion, as the Guitar Hero and Skylanders cancellations seem to have calmed Acti considerably and made them shift their priorities for non-CoD things.

• N. Sane Trilogy getting a couple of extra levels for free, because why not?
  • Nitro-Fueled's DLC being largely free outside of a few promo items, and it's up to the player whether they should play or use the (completely optional) transactions for the rest of the cars and cosmetics, while the extra tracks and hidden racers get added by default.
  • It's About Time having no DLC whatsoever, because Toys For Bob just doesn't do that, apparently. There's a couple of skins earned via external methods, but that's it.
  • On the Run, being a mobile phone game by King (makers of Candy Crush), logically has microtransactions involved to some degree.
If anything, if Acti really needed extra bucks from including Crash in Smash, they would simply ask about Mii costumes for some of the stuff within the Acti-Blizzard umbrella, like a Spyro hat or Overwatch costumes. It's not like this is a Koichi Sugiyama situation or anything.
I lowkey fully expect a Tracer costume (and maybe also Overwatch Spirit Event) with Crash. Maybe a Warcraft costume too

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I lowkey fully expect a Tracer costume (and maybe also Overwatch Spirit Event) with Crash. Maybe a Warcraft costume too
Or maybe Tracer as a character in pass 3!

(Though, I think it would actually be Tracer/Warcraft first, and Crash or Spyro in the next).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Does Warcraft even have a presence in Japan? I know Overwatch does, albeit small

wonder how popular the Shimada brothers are there

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Crash should be here, but I can't see it happening this Pass considering how Banjo only got in because Steve took 5 Years.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Who says Crash couldn’t be simultaneously negotiable?
Crash only came back into prominence in 2017. Steve took Five Years to Finalize. The Precedent that sets for Western Characters is why I simply can't see Crash this Pass. Not only that but Activision's Greed, and how Activision would absolutely force Coco into an Echo Fighter and you see why I simply can't see Crash in Smash. I think he should be here, he absolutely deserves to be in here to some extent, but I simply can't see it happening this Pass. Potential Third Pass definitely, but for now I simply think that he has simply been outprioritized when it comes to the Smash Invite man.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Crash only came back into prominence in 2017. Steve took Five Years to Finalize. The Precedent that sets for Western Characters is why I simply can't see Crash this Pass. Not only that but Activision's Greed, and how Activision would absolutely force Coco into an Echo Fighter and you see why I simply can't see Crash in Smash. I think he should be here, he absolutely deserves to be in here to some extent, but I simply can't see it happening this Pass. Potential Third Pass definitely, but for now I simply think that he has simply been outprioritized when it comes to the Smash Invite man.
Just because Steve took 5 years to finalize doesn’t mean Crash couldn’t have been negotiated sometime later.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Just because Steve took 5 years to finalize doesn’t mean Crash couldn’t have been negotiated sometime later.
Sure, but then there's also the question of if Nintendo would actually go for Crash when Hayabusa is right there, from a Company Nintendo has WAYYY Better Relations with than Activision, with Hayabusa also be a Platforming Icon, from Japan sure, but with a more Western Appeal than even the Castlevania Duo! Again, Crash would be amazing, I just think he got outprioritized this time around. Same applies with Sora, or any other highly requested character with nothing against them. They just lost out to someone else.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Sure, but then there's also the question of if Nintendo would actually go for Crash when Hayabusa is right there, from a Company Nintendo has WAYYY Better Relations with than Activision, with Hayabusa also be a Platforming Icon, from Japan sure, but with a more Western Appeal than even the Castlevania Duo! Again, Crash would be amazing, I just think he got outprioritized this time around. Same applies with Sora, or any other highly requested character with nothing against them. They just lost out to someone else.
So you think Hayabusa is getting in Crash's way even though they have nothing to do with each other?

I don;t think you really mean it you say
Crash would be amazing, I just think he got outprioritized this time around. Same applies with Sora, or any other highly requested character with nothing against them. They just lost out to someone else.
You just want to see other characters get in besides them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
After Sephiroth honestly, I've been finding Crash's chances to be far less likely now and JOJO nailed on another reason why I think not as likely as everyone thinks and believe me I used to be among those.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
So you think Hayabusa is getting in Crash's way even though they have nothing to do with each other?

I don;t think you really mean it you say

You just want to see other characters get in besides them.
Nah, it's just that I simply can't see them getting into Smash. I just fail to see how these characters can get in. Sora because of Sephiroth and the fact that Kingdom Hearts is a Disney IP. Capcom I think gets screwed over by getting Ken in Base Game and Hayabusa just stealing a spot due to how I fail to see a Pass where we get a Koei Tecmo Character and a Capcom Character. And Crash simply got outprioritzed by Steve and potentially Hayabusa as well if Hayabusa gets in (which I think is borderline inevitable for many reasons). Don't predict your most wanted kids, otherwise you will simply be disappointed with the end result.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Nah, it's just that I simply can't see them getting into Smash. I just fail to see how these characters can get in. Sora because of Sephiroth and the fsct that Kingdom Hearts is a Disney IP. Capcom I think gets screwed over by getting Ken in Base Game and Hayabusa just stealing a spot due to how I fail to see a Pass where we get a Koei Tecmo Character and a Capcom Character. And Crash simply got outprioritzed by Steve and potentially Hayabusa as well if Hayabusa gets in (which I think is borderline inevitable for many reasons). Don't predict your most wanted kids, otherwise you will simply be disappointed with the end result.
So if it's not Hayabusa, the character is impossible.

Just say you don't want Crash or Sora instead of using Hayabusa as a justification.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

Just say you don't want Crash or Sora instead of using Hayabusa as a justification.
I'm saying our Final Three are probably three characters that aren't exactly predictable. I mean, remember when people predicted Terry before the SNK Leak oh wait no one did. Remember when people brought up Cloud or especially Sephiroth as legitimate options before they got revealed oh wait no one did. Remember when people brought up Joker unironically before FP1 oh wait no one did. Only character I can see as extremely likely at the moment is Hayabusa, everyone else I can't say because I honestly think a lot of people get too predictable. Again, don't predict your most wanted, otherwise you'll just be disappointed in the end result.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Nah, it's just that I simply can't see them getting into Smash. I just fail to see how these characters can get in. Sora because of Sephiroth and the fsct that Kingdom Hearts is a Disney IP. Capcom I think gets screwed over by getting Ken in Base Game and Hayabusa just stealing a spot due to how I fail to see a Pass where we get a Koei Tecmo Character and a Capcom Character. And Crash simply got outprioritzed by Steve and potentially Hayabusa as well if Hayabusa gets in (which I think is borderline inevitable for many reasons). Don't predict your most wanted kids, otherwise you will simply be disappointed with the end result.
I find it really hard to believe Hayabusa has that much higher of a chance appearing in Smash over Crash. Also, since when does getting a rep in the base game stop you from getting a dlc fighter in the case of Capcom? By all means, I think many still believe that companies only get a character once or twice if third party and that's it unless it's a special occasion, but there's nothing that implies that other than it...not happening yet. Unless Square's 3 counts.

Can we really consider Crash a predictable shoe-in when there are plenty of people who somehow still think he's just "obscure animal mascot #566" despite plenty of Smash characters that got in Ultimate existing solely through cameos and small references?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Disappointing eh...

I'm a simple man, I love video games, cartoons and animals.

When you put them all together you can see why platforming mascots and platformers (2D and 3D) are my favorite video game character archetype and genre.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I'm saying our Final Three are probably three characters that aren't exactly predictable. I mean, remember when people predicted Terry before the SNK Leak oh wait no one did. Remember when people brought up Cloud or especially Sephiroth as legitimate options before they got revealed oh wait no one did. Remember when people brought up Joker unironically before FP1 oh wait no one did. Only character I can see as extremely likely at the moment is Hayabusa, everyone else I can't say because I honestly think a lot of people get too predictable. Again, don't predict your most wanted, otherwise you'll just be disappointed in the end result.
Not everyone predicts their most wanted. If I was in charge of the pass, we would have gotten Spyro and Heavy. Do I think they are likely? Hell no. But you honestly are coming off as very defensive that people are defending Crash...in the Crash thread. Your entire argument boils down to just assuming Hayabusa is a lock and expecting curveballs, which if I am being honest is a flimsy argument on both of those parts. Will people predict everything right? Obviously not, but at the same time there is a reason people think Crash is a relatively safe choice. If you want to say Crash is not likely, that is 100% fine. But you need a better argument than what you are doing right here.

I will also say as someone who just entered this debate, you really seem overly hostile and defensive on this when getting pressured. I would take a short break and regroup your thoughts, since to be brutally honest, the tone you have right now is not only hostile and defensive, but quite rude.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Crash should be here, but I can't see it happening this Pass considering how Banjo only got in because Steve took 5 Years.
Wait, how does this affect Crash's chances? Microsoft and Activision are two completely different companies so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
Also about Banjo, I'm 99% sure Banjo wasn't included JUST as filler for Steve. Banjo was a heavily requested character and I'm sure he was suggested by Phil Spencer, since he has been very open about Banjo getting included numerous times before in the past. Maybe Steve was planned to get in before Banjo, but Banjo wasn't included just because Steve supposedly wasn't done in time. They were always both planned to get included from the start.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Not everyone predicts their most wanted. If I was in charge of the pass, we would have gotten Spyro and Heavy. Do I think they are likely? Hell no. But you honestly are coming off as very defensive that people are defending Crash...in the Crash thread. Your entire argument boils down to just assuming Hayabusa is a lock and expecting curveballs, which if I am being honest is a flimsy argument on both of those parts. Will people predict everything right? Obviously not, but at the same time there is a reason people think Crash is a relatively safe choice. If you want to say Crash is not likely, that is 100% fine. But you need a better argument than what you are doing right here.

I will also say as someone who just entered this debate, you really seem overly hostile and defensive on this when getting pressured. I would take a short break and regroup your thoughts, since to be brutally honest, the tone you have right now is not only hostile and defensive, but quite rude.
To be fair, it would probably help if we didn't accuse them of being disingenuous when they very well may believe what they're saying. That said, this poster could definately stand to be a bit more humble. Let's all take a deep breath shall we?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just because it took them 5 years to negotiate for Steve that doesn't mean it would take as long for Crash. I mean, Steve is a 2nd party rep to a rivaling company afterall and Crash is a rep from a 3rd party company. Both western, but with Steve being owned by Microsoft, I imagine he would have more red tape on him. If Crash is in, they could have gotten the rights to him as late as the Summer of 2019 for all we know as that was around the time Fighter's Pass 2 was greenlited.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m playing through the trilogy for the first time & really loving it so far. I’ve beaten 1 & 2 the past two days, I’ll be starting 3 later.

I’ve been supporting Crash for a while. But that’s mainly because of CTR & how iconic he is. It’s nice to finally play his original games, makes me want him even more.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I’m playing through the trilogy for the first time & really loving it so far. I’ve beaten 1 & 2 the past two days, I’ll be starting 3 later.

I’ve been supporting Crash for a while. But that’s mainly because of CTR & how iconic he is. It’s nice to finally play his original games, makes me want him even more.
What platform are you playing "N.Sane Trilogy" on?

I bought it the weekend it came out when I still had my PS4 and 100% beat it, I only have my Nintendo Switch now ,But I have really been itching to buy/play it again.

Hopefully you get a chance to play "It's About Time" sometime soon if you've got a Playstation or Xbox, Though if I had to make a bet Crash 4 will probably get it's Switch port announced for Spring or early Summer.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

I bought it the weekend it came out when I still had my PS4 and 100% beat it, I only have my Nintendo Switch now ,But I have really been itching to buy/play it again.

Hopefully you get a chance to play "It's About Time" sometime soon if you've got a Playstation or Xbox, Though if I had to make a bet Crash 4 will probably get it's Switch port announced for Spring or early Summer.
That's some impressive gaming. Three Crash games in 48 hours.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

PS4! I bought Crash 4 during Black Friday, I’ll be playing it later in the year. I’m actually doing a little marathon of PlayStation trilogies rn. Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, Jak, Sly, God of War & Infamous in that order. I’ve never played any of them (besides GOW ‘18) but I’ve wanted to for a while.

I beat Crash Warped last night. I really liked it but thought it was a bit too easy, especially since I beat it in one session.

I’d probably go 2 > 3=1 for the Crash trilogy. 1 had the hard but fair challenge that I really liked. But 3 had more interesting level designs & variety. So it’s really close between those two.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
That's some impressive gaming. Three Crash games in 48 hours.
I think I worded it out wrong, What I meant to say is that I bought it a day or 2 after it released the week it came out, I didn't beat the game all in one go in just one weekend, It probably took me 3 weeks or almost month to beat the entire trilogy ,I try not to rush through games and pace myself so I can really enjoy them.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
PS4! I bought Crash 4 during Black Friday, I’ll be playing it later in the year. I’m actually doing a little marathon of PlayStation trilogies rn. Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, Jak, Sly, God of War & Infamous in that order. I’ve never played any of them (besides GOW ‘18) but I’ve wanted to for a while.

I beat Crash Warped last night. I really liked it but thought it was a bit too easy, especially since I beat it in one session.

I’d probably go 2 > 3=1 for the Crash trilogy. 1 had the hard but fair challenge that I really liked. But 3 had more interesting level designs & variety. So it’s really close between those two.
Just out of curiosity, Are you gonna be playing the PS2 trilogy's on the Playstation 2 or the HD ports on PS3?

I grew up with the Gamecube so I never really got to play any of them, But I always thought Ratchet & Clank looked like a really cool series and Sly Coopers style and setting looked very appealing to me too.

I have only played the Ratchet & Clank (2016) reboot when I used to have a PS4, But really enjoyed it and "Rift Apart" is my most anticipated Playstation 5 game at the moment if I ever do pick a PS5 over the Xbox.

My sister managed to get a free PS3 a couple years back and just uses it occasionally for streaming, But if I get some time in the future, I'm gonna try to make an effort to get some of the PS2 HD trilogy's along with the Ratchet & Clank: Future trilogy as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom