• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
It's funny. A dlc character could literally be one of the most well known games ever, and people will say it's a shill pick or a pick for specific group of people. The amount of smash speculators that still believe Steve is a "Zoomer" pick and Banjo is a "Boomer" pick is baffling.

It's as though...Nintendo figured these characters were good choices, and requested the Smash dev put them in? Speculation for this game gets tedious and needlessly combative for no reason most of the time, in some ways, I've been waiting for the dlc to finally finish so people would stop acting like monsters over digital characters in a party game.

Anywho, what would Crash be considered? He has a strange range of time for a 90s mascot, considering his questionable legacy in the 2000s. I wonder what games would even be represented? This got me thinking after Sakurai's comment on copyright holders.
They will probably used the original PS1 trilogy and 2017 remake. Maybe some stuff of Crash 4 (spirits or songs?). But I think it will be heavily based on the first games

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
It's funny. A dlc character could literally be one of the most well known games ever, and people will say it's a shill pick or a pick for specific group of people. The amount of smash speculators that still believe Steve is a "Zoomer" pick and Banjo is a "Boomer" pick is baffling.

It's as though...Nintendo figured these characters were good choices, and requested the Smash dev put them in? Speculation for this game gets tedious and needlessly combative for no reason most of the time, in some ways, I've been waiting for the dlc to finally finish so people would stop acting like monsters over digital characters in a party game.

Anywho, what would Crash be considered? He has a strange range of time for a 90s mascot, considering his questionable legacy in the 2000s. I wonder what games would even be represented? This got me thinking after Sakurai's comment on copyright holders.
TT Games made both Sonic R and some Crash games. One Sonic R song is in Smash. I wonder who owns the music of those games.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
TT Games made both Sonic R and some Crash games. One Sonic R song is in Smash. I wonder who owns the music of those games.
I forgot Super Sonic Racing was in Smash! I'm guessing TT Games isn't picky with copyrights.

They will probably used the original PS1 trilogy and 2017 remake. Maybe some stuff of Crash 4 (spirits or songs?). But I think it will be heavily based on the first games
What about CTR/CTR:NF?? I feel like music that is going to not be remixed is probably going to be pulled from CTR:NF. I hope it gets something.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Don’t played those games so don’t know any music haha, but if it fits well in smash it can be used too.
CTR and its remake have music that's very much like the classic trilogy. I really recommend getting CTR: Nitro Fueled, it's one of the best modern kart racers on the market at the moment! I still don't like how many influencers gave it a bad name due to the inclusion of microtransactions that are easily ignorable, especially since everything is purely cosmetic.

I'm pretty certain Crash 4 won't be given much in terms of content. If we're to believe that Crash was successfully negotiated for, chances are the models/designs are going to reflect N. Sane Trilogy and Nitro Fueled only given how the negotiations concluded by January this year
I think Crash 4 could still get a song or a few spirits, potentially. But it is a very recent release, so unless Crash is one of the last two fighters, I wouldn't expect anything. One thing I've always wondered: Would we get the original Crash dance, or the "modern" one, where air hump is replaced with the Running Man? I mean, Mario Strikers got away with Air humping, and it's got the same ESRB rating as Ultimate.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
CTR and its remake have music that's very much like the classic trilogy. I really recommend getting CTR: Nitro Fueled, it's one of the best modern kart racers on the market at the moment! I still don't like how many influencers gave it a bad name due to the inclusion of microtransactions that are easily ignorable, especially since everything is purely cosmetic.

I think Crash 4 could still get a song or a few spirits, potentially. But it is a very recent release, so unless Crash is one of the last two fighters, I wouldn't expect anything. One thing I've always wondered: Would we get the original Crash dance, or the "modern" one, where air hump is replaced with the Running Man? I mean, Mario Strikers got away with Air humping, and it's got the same ESRB rating as Ultimate.
Mario Strikers was released over a decade ago, so content appropriateness standards have obviously changed since then. Not the best game to use for the sake of comparison.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Mario Strikers was released over a decade ago, so content appropriateness standards have obviously changed since then. Not the best game to use for the sake of comparison.
Well, here's a better one: Crash 4 and Smash Ultimate have the same exact age rating, so...I think that's debatable. Crash 4 gets away with some really strange (funny) content.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman

I'm sure this has been posted several times before, but I still find it interesting how before Melee was even being developed, Sakurai ran a poll for potential new characters and Crash outranked Sonic. Of course, Sonic would be the most requested character for Brawl after Sega dropped out of the console race.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Been thinkinh, what if spinning could also act as a reflect? Would that be too OP?

I know for example that Crash can reflect a few projectiles in his games but not everything would that make sense. I mean, at this point i take anything
It wouldn't be OP. There's a lot of discussion whether an attack that doubles as a reflect would be too good, but a good 30% or so of the roster has exactly that, I mean, R.O,B has a spin attack that doubles as a reflect. People consider that move OP on him, but I don't think Crash's would work entirely the same. Crash's spin would probably hit like Meta Knight's, one strong hit (without the freefall).

Buuuuut if you wanna be accurate to Crash, you could just make it so that Crash only reflects energy projectiles. Even then, G&W's literal bucket can somehow reflect Axes, so....I don't think they'd do that.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
It wouldn't be OP. There's a lot of discussion whether an attack that doubles as a reflect would be too good, but a good 30% or so of the roster has exactly that, I mean, R.O,B has a spin attack that doubles as a reflect. People consider that move OP on him, but I don't think Crash's would work entirely the same. Crash's spin would probably hit like Meta Knight's, one strong hit (without the freefall).

Buuuuut if you wanna be accurate to Crash, you could just make it so that Crash only reflects energy projectiles. Even then, G&W's literal bucket can somehow reflect Axes, so....I don't think they'd do that.
One thing to consider is that ROB and Meta Knight's spins are relatively slow, last a decent amount of time, and have decently high end lag. If they want Crash's Spin Attack in Smash to feel faithful to his games, it would probably be a very quick attack with decent strength and swift recovery; something that he could throw out while moving and still retain some momentum. I imagine it'd be kinda like Incineroar's Darkest Lariat but with a weaker initial hit and significantly less time spent spinning. So if he could throw out the spin as a strong combo tool that keeps momentum and reflects at the same time, I do think that'd be a bit much.

I suppose one way they could incorporate a Spin Attack that feels faithful to how it works in the original games while referencing its occasional ability to reflect projectiles is having it only be a reflector if you go into the slower Death Tornado Spin. Maybe one press would be the basic Spin, and a double press would be the Death tornado. Having it that way would be more in-line with ROB and Meta Knight's slower anti-projectile spin and be relatively balanced methinks.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think within the final 3 spots Crash is gonna be the 2nd reveal at E3, The first pick is gonna be a smaller character or possible 1st party pick and the final pick would make you think that they would end the pass with a bang , But I'm thinking a "Curveball" pick.

Pure speculation, This is just what my gut is just telling me, But as long as Crash Bandicoot is in it then that's fine by me, Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Been thinkinh, what if spinning could also act as a reflect? Would that be too OP?

I know for example that Crash can reflect a few projectiles in his games but not everything would that make sense. I mean, at this point i take anything
No, it really wouldn't be. Crash's spin would probably be a move that has fixed knockback, so if it did that, as well as reflect projectiles, then I think it would be alright.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I decided to continue with Crash 1 through the N. Sane Trilogy, and I finally made it to the first bridge level. Not sure if it's the changes made to the N. Sane Trilogy or if the game was always like this, but I don't know why anyone thought these levels were a good idea. The depth perception in these games is terrible, Crash controls like he's covered in soap (and that's without taking into account the ice that's on the bridge - there are times where I land near the edge of a plank of wood and slip right off), and the jumps that are required are insanely precise.

I think I got far (it's hard to tell), so it's definitely doable - I just feel like I need to find a way to farm for extra lives. (don't know which level that would be easiest for that sort of thing)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Crash at e3 would make sense, but Nintendo always is down to surprise us. If we are getting more dlc, which given the financial reports makes too much sense. Crash could come at any time tbt.
Hmm? Which financial reports?

do Steve and/or Sephiroth account for any of said reports FPV2 sales wise or?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I decided to continue with Crash 1 through the N. Sane Trilogy, and I finally made it to the first bridge level. Not sure if it's the changes made to the N. Sane Trilogy or if the game was always like this, but I don't know why anyone thought these levels were a good idea. The depth perception in these games is terrible, Crash controls like he's covered in soap (and that's without taking into account the ice that's on the bridge - there are times where I land near the edge of a plank of wood and slip right off), and the jumps that are required are insanely precise.

I think I got far (it's hard to tell), so it's definitely doable - I just feel like I need to find a way to farm for extra lives. (don't know which level that would be easiest for that sort of thing)
Trust me when I say that the bridge levels are nothing. NOTHING compared to Stormy Ascent

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

I don't think it'd be too OP, but the way I set it up in my moveset for Crash was that it more redirected projectiles so they'd get sucked into the spin then flung off in a random direction much like how if you spun a wumpa fruit in the games it'd fly away semi randomly.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Trust me when I say that the bridge levels are nothing. NOTHING compared to Stormy Ascent
Stormy Ascent's the bonus level that didn't make it into the original game, right? I tend to avoid those sorts of incredibly difficult post-game challenges unless I'm really liking the game. (ex. Dragon Quest XI's post-game super-boss)

MattX20

Smash Hero
Stormy Ascent's the bonus level that didn't make it into the original game, right? I tend to avoid those sorts of incredibly difficult post-game challenges unless I'm really liking the game. (ex. Dragon Quest XI's post-game super-boss)
That, and also you're better off avoiding going completitionist on Crash 4.

D

Deleted member

The depth perception in these games is terrible, Crash controls like he's covered in soap
Never had a problem with depth perception in any Crash game. "Crash controls like he's covered in soap" Are you sure about that? The N. Sane Trilogy's controls are pretty snappy and responsive when you're controlling him. I've only ever seen other people play the game slide off of planks of wood and it hasn't happened to me. The N. Sane Trilogy made jumping heavier which helps for Crash 1 but in Crash 2 and 3, jumps that could be made with a regular one are now made with slide jumps, but I didn't find it an issue.

Also, have you tried holding down the button to bounce higher when you bounce off of something? That helps with the bridge levels.

And yes, the N. Sane Trilogy's physics are different compared to the PS1 games. When you bounce off an enemy or a crate and hold forward, Crash goes a lot slower compared to when you do it in the PS1 games. That's one thing I don't like about N. Sane, but oh well.

D

Deleted member

Hmm...anyone else think Crash might be saved for E3 2021 if that isn't cancelled?
That's possible, but I don't think he really needs to be there. It's not a must or a requirement for him to be there and the world wouldn't implode if he wasn't there.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Sora's completely owned by Disney, so I see him more as a Disney rep. Ergo, I can still see him in the running, especially if he were to be revealed at E3.
That's true. If we're to consider Sora as solely a Disney rep, I can't say my doubts exactly decrease though. I can't imagine that Disney is easy to work with, and apparently insiders are saying that the price for Sora was too high. Which doesn't really surprise me if true. I won't say it's impossible though.

With Microsoft already on board I wouldn't be surprised or mind seeing Master Chief join Smash.

Which I would be cool with because if we can get Chief and Crash then it would really feel like (For the most part) that we have the mascots for Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft.

If we can only get one than I would still go with Crash Bandicoot, But Master Chief would probably my 2nd choice as a big E3 3rd party character reveal.
I would love Master Chief, but the tweet about him "waiting" for his invite makes me doubt it. Personally I feel like I don't quite understand how NDAs work, given the Kirkhope "don't hold your breath" comment about B&K. Obviously I can't know for sure.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
View attachment 296514
FP2 was making bank Pre Steve and Seph. I doubt that after how well it is doing Nintendo would turn down easy money.
S T O N K S

but yeah, pass 3 has a decently good chance after this, esp since according to datamines there'd be four more slots after pass 2's done. it may also be the last (for real) seeing as how currently the game holds 91 spots including miis and unstacked echoes at the CSS before crashing

idk if that's a software or hardware issue or if that limit can be altered but if pass 3 happens best to assume it's the last

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
S T O N K S

but yeah, pass 3 has a decently good chance after this, esp since according to datamines there'd be four more slots after pass 2's done. it may also be the last (for real) seeing as how currently the game holds 91 spots including miis and unstacked echoes at the CSS before crashing

idk if that's a software or hardware issue or if that limit can be altered but if pass 3 happens best to assume it's the last
That's the first I have ever heard of this issue. I assume it would not stop them from at least making FP3, given the amount of money that Nintendo could make. It makes more sense to at least look internally and see if they can fix that issue than let it be a roadblock.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's the first I have ever heard of this issue. I assume it would not stop them from at least making FP3, given the amount of money that Nintendo could make. It makes more sense to at least look internally and see if they can fix that issue than let it be a roadblock.
i mean if worse comes to worst and they truly can't work around it (ergo it's the hardware), maybe Ult Deluxe on Switch Pro with a few more slots?

if i knew the precise cause of that issue.... but that's a mystery atm so

i work in IT so I like to troubleshoot crap

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Echoes/clones tend to be saved for the last phase of base game development, so it would make sense if the last four characters were Echoes to end the DLC run this time around (and the CSS theory relies on that). No telling who those would be though.

i mean if worse comes to worst and they truly can't work around it (ergo it's the hardware), maybe Ult Deluxe on Switch Pro with a few more slots?

if i knew the precise cause of that issue.... but that's a mystery atm so

i work in IT so I like to troubleshoot crap
I occasionally think of that possibility (the console revision, not an Ultimate rerelease, since that series doesn't rely on that). Though we'll have to wait and see if a full-blown Switch revision gets announced at some point in 2021, otherwise we wait and see what Sak reveals during the presentation for the penultimate character or so.

That's possible, but I don't think he really needs to be there. It's not a must or a requirement for him to be there and the world wouldn't implode if he wasn't there.
If anything, whether he's announced in June or not matters more than E3 or any equivalent thereof, since that month is pretty important for Crash overall, whether it's for major news or releases.

Well, either that or being announced in March around the time On the Run launches, but that's honestly more of a stretch.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
That's true. If we're to consider Sora as solely a Disney rep, I can't say my doubts exactly decrease though. I can't imagine that Disney is easy to work with, and apparently insiders are saying that the price for Sora was too high. Which doesn't really surprise me if true. I won't say it's impossible though.

I would love Master Chief, but the tweet about him "waiting" for his invite makes me doubt it. Personally I feel like I don't quite understand how NDAs work, given the Kirkhope "don't hold your breath" comment about B&K. Obviously I can't know for sure.
At least, it is nowhere as damning as Doom developer's interview. That's for sure.

Top Bottom