• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm probably gonna vote later tonight. I gotta say as much as I love Crash, I'm gonna have a hard time debating whether or not I should vote for Crash or Animal Crossing. I think Crash 4 looks like a really great game, but I wouldn't say its the best in terms of a "get together" type game to play with your family like Animal Crossing. But I still think Crash 4 deserves some type of award though and since Animal Crossing is a GOTY nominee, it may give Crash 4 the edge for me. I'm not exactly sure as of right now though.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How is Crash 4, anyway? I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet (I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One), but I've heard some people saying that it's good and others (mainly Honest Game Trailers) saying that it's bad. I'll probably wait for a Switch version.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've heard it's pretty hard
I assumed that was the case, though I think I saw in some reviews that there's the option to turn the lives system off, which would get rid of a lot of the parts that frustrated me about Crash 1 and 2. (maybe I need to go back and grind for extra lives in those games)

Faso115

Smash Lord
Ah i see whoever got the names mixed up fell a lot in Crash 4. That's relatable i guess.

When is the TGAs again?

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
How is Crash 4, anyway? I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet (I don't have a PS4 or Xbox One), but I've heard some people saying that it's good and others (mainly Honest Game Trailers) saying that it's bad. I'll probably wait for a Switch version.
I'm in the same position as I'm eagerly awaiting the inevitable Switch version, but from what I heard from people, I heard people think its a great game and it even seems like some people consider it to be one of the best Crash games. I think the only criticism I heard for it is the full 106% completion but besides that I've heard nothing but positive things.

D

Deleted member

Honest Game Trailers went out of their way to crap on Crash fans, and spent basically the entire video doing it. Watching that video, you can clearly tell that person who was playing the game was dying on purpose to make the game look bad. Their entire video on Crash 4 was basically "That thing you like? It sucks. Give me views."

I think Crash 4 is a great game, but the biggest issue with it is trying to 106% it.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Honest Game Trailers went out of their way to crap on Crash fans, and spent basically the entire video doing it. Watching that video, you can clearly tell that person who was playing the game was dying on purpose to make the game look bad. Their entire video on Crash 4 was basically "That thing you like? It sucks. Give me views."

I think Crash 4 is a great game, but the biggest issue with it is trying to 106% it.
Their review on the N Sane Trilogy was also really biased against the game so that doesn't surprise me one bit

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
This is a weird notion, but a heavy hope I have for Crash's moveset is less emphasis on...spinning. It's his main attack in his own games, but I cannot imagine a fun moveset being made out the main character's signature moves alone :ultsonic:. Though, I think it is kind of funny that there are exactly enough moves in Smash that are a variation of a spin attack that hypothetically, Crash's entire moveset (even grabs, ledge and trip getup attacks) can all be spins.

I am glad that the smash team has mostly done everything in their power to make sure most characters are either decently faithful to their normal appearances, or take some liberties as to give the character variation. Mostly :ultdk:.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's a pretty good game, even if I have issues with how some of the plot and characters were handled, the more I think about it.

It's really easy to get extra lives if you're wanting to collect everything, since levels are stuffed with crates this time around.

Just keep in mind that getting the secret ending is harder than usual (e.g. Platinum Time Relics are mandatory), though you won't miss anything if you don't go for it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You'd be surprised how many people legitimately think Crash has little to nothing to work with, despite being a 3D platformer character.
Really just the haters and non-supporters being close-minded. The moment Crash gets confirmed, watch them act surprised and go "yeah, he made sense all along".

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't expect more than two or three attacks to be spins, at most. I mean, you COULD probably give him a moveset that's 90% spinning like Sonic, but that would be a huge waste of potential.

I'd probably just have it be his neutral special personally. Working a bit like Meta Knight's tornado.

D

Deleted member

You'd be surprised how many people legitimately think Crash has little to nothing to work with, despite being a 3D platformer character.
I know how many people think all he does is spin and wouldn't have anything else but that in Smash. I'm just saying to you that it isn't weird to not want his whole moveset be him spinning. I'm not completely oblivious to the existence of Crash detractors, you know.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
It makes me cringe everytime. It just goes to show how little they put in to actually playing the games. I've even seen people call him a nostalgia character or a generic cereal box mascot, and it always makes me cringe. None of these people have any idea just how iconic Crash was back in the day so to call him a character just for the nostalgia or calling him a generic cereal box mascot is kinda insulting.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I mean, it's clear HT just doesn't care for Crash in general. If you didn't like the Nsane Trilogy then I doubt you'd like Crash 4. I haven't played Crash 4, but it seems to me, based on what I've seen, that it's still true to the Crash formula aside from a few quality of life changes. I would look for reviewers that actually enjoy the gameplay that Crash provides.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I mean, detractor comments are so weird to me.

Well what do they frigging want, aliens? Abstract objects? And that's if they're not hypocritical about the characters they actually want to see.
People seem to want the most of random of things for the sake of the character being random, or "breaking the internet" again like Steve. Not calling Steve random, but in the eyes of those who really don't care too much about smash, they just anyone that seems crazy. I'm surprised there hasn't been clamoring for a character from Bugsnax yet.

Side note, what exactly exists outside of "anime humans" and cereal box mascots?? Because...that's literally all smash characters. They fit into one of those categories. Even Dark Samus could technically be an anime humanoid!

QQS

Smash Lord
Let’s hope for Crash joining the battle! bringing Crash 4 to Switch, Mascot Battle, last mega world icon left and a very nice addition to Smash! Can’t think of another better worldwide rep like Crash!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ya know, I can't shake off the feeling that Crash 4 was basically Toys For Bob just using the multiverse as an excuse to make pretty background stuff and lore without affecting much in the grand scheme of things or stepping on the toes of other developers that might have more radical plans.

• Barely any of the dimensions are noteworthy areas (aside from Mosquito Marsh, but Dingodile didn't contribute anything to the plot so it's a moot point). Cortex Island is noteworthy, but that's clearly in a different time period.
  • Don't use the actual Tawna, but a parallel version that's basically a new character.
  • Nearly all the villains are ND-era, and the only noteworthy "new" one is a parallel version of one of them.
  • Uka Uka is only used at the start and (secret) end.
  • The N. Tropies are underused to the point that their ambiguous fate leaves them open to show up in a sequel.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is the best Crash game design wise and in terms of playing the game. If you do not go for 100% this is an all time great platformer. Even the multiple levels in different locations all play differently and look differently, which is a huge plus. The new masks are a treat to use as well, they open up a ton of cool stuff. The game just is very charming.

100%ing the game though makes the game turn evil. Let me just say that N Sanely Perfect Relics, Platinum relics, Super mean box placement, and the Blue Gem will make you mad. I died 60 times trying to get the blue gem.

Easily in contention for my GOTY alongside FF7 Remake and DOOM Eternal. Awesome game, best crash game potentially.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I have been playing Crash 4, and I tell you, it has been a great experience so far! I love how faithful tot he classics it is, and I like the first Quantum Mask so far. By the way, you have to get all the Gems and Relics to get the true ending, right?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have been playing Crash 4, and I tell you, it has been a great experience so far! I love how faithful tot he classics it is, and I like the first Quantum Mask so far. By the way, you have to get all the Gems and Relics to get the true ending, right?
Not quite, you also need to get the N. Sanely Perfect Relics, collect and beat the Flashback Tapes, and make sure that the Time Trial relics are all Platinum at least.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Want to know how to tell if Coco is being added as an alternate costume? If during Crash's trailer you see him still beaten up and KO'd that's when you know she's being added. Think Hero's trailer.
They could also pull a Steve and just have her appear randomly, like Alex. I wonder which would work better.

D

Deleted member

N. Sanely Perfect Relics?

And how hard is getting the Platinum Relics?
To get the N. Sanely Perfect Relics, you have to break every box in a level without dying once. The wumpa fruit gems and the hidden gem are not required to get them. For me, personally some of the platinum relics aren't too hard to get. The only level I really struggled with getting a platinum so far was Jetboard Jetty. I don't have all of the time trial relics yet so I'm certain that's bound to change.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To get the N. Sanely Perfect Relics, you have to break every box in a level without dying once. The wumpa fruit gems and the hidden gem are not required to get them. For me, personally some of the platinum relics aren't too hard to get. The only level I really struggled with getting a platinum so far was Jetboard Jetty. I don't have all of the time trial relics yet so I'm certain that's bound to change.
Actually, only the hidden gem doesn't count. You still need the Wumpa fruit gem (which isn't that hard anyway, seeing how you just need 80% of them in a given level).

D

Deleted member

Actually, only the hidden gem doesn't count. You still need the Wumpa fruit gem (which isn't that hard anyway, seeing how you just need 80% of them in a given level).
I can tell you from me actually testing it myself that the box gem is the only one that is needed. I finished N. Sanity Peak without 80% of the wumpa fruit for the last wumpa fruit gem, but broke every box and still got the relic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just a reminder; 2021 is Cash Banooca's 25th anniversary.

With the Crash mascot becoming relevant in Japan (albeit without the guy between its teeth), I think it'd be a missed opportunity (not that I expect it) to not have Crash's reveal be a homage to the "plumber boy" commercial from back in the day.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

To be perfectly honest, I wish Crash 4 didn't have the N. Verted mode or the Perfect Relics. If there wasn't so many requirements to completing the game 106%, then I'd say it's the absolute best Crash game in every way. The regular gems, flashback tapes and time trial relics would've been the 106% requirements for me, and I also would've made the alternate timeline levels their own stages, and I MEAN their own stages. I wouldn't call playing half or two thirds of the same level after you're done playing as that character a whole different level, or at least where that Cortex/Dingodile/Tawna segment ends, then the level ends as well. This game has so much padding and repetition it isn't even funny.

I also would've just removed that last section where you play as Crash/Coco in The Crate Escape, or at least have it so the physics weren't so wonky. And, when it comes to the time trials, I think the Triple Spin is okay, and an alright reward for finishing the game, but I would've preferred the Crash Dash power up from other games. Again, I don't find the Triple Spin bad by any means, but I think the Crash Dash would've been better. Also would've been great if the game didn't have so many obnoxiously hidden crates.

I really wish Toys For Bob looked at all of that and at least thought that it was a bit much and go back to tone it down a bit, because Crash 4 is a good game, but the 106% requirements are literally bursting at the seams.

Top Bottom