• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
If the CSS theory ends up true (especially if FP2 sales are enough to convince Nintendo and Sak to do one last push), it is possible that Coco could get in as an Echo, if being an alt doesn't work out.
I would say its possible only IF she's a bonus character separate from Pass 2, kinda like the Plant. I'm sure Sakurai confirmed that Pass 2 like with Pass 1 will not contain any Echoes, so if Crash is happening in Pass 2 and we get some Echo Fighters as bonus DLC, then Coco would definitely be a top contender for an Echo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would say its possible only IF she's a bonus character separate from Pass 2, kinda like the Plant. I'm sure Sakurai confirmed that Pass 2 like with Pass 1 will not contain any Echoes, so if Crash is happening in Pass 2 and we get some Echo Fighters as bonus DLC, then Coco would definitely be a top contender for an Echo.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I implied. Coco would have to show up in a final DLC wave that's only made out of 4 Echoes.

D

Deleted member

I have 92% on Crash 4 so far. I don't know how much more I can keep going with this game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So how is everyone gonna be if Crash doesn't make it? I would like at least SOME content in the game, but for someone like Crash it feels like we might get a character or nothing. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst honestly, just in case.
I already got my most wanted character in Banjo-Kazooie and 2nd most in King K. Rool and I kind promised myself that I would retire from Smash speculation and delete my account here after Banjo-Kazooie makes it in as I don't really have enough gas left in the tank to keep speculating. I got every major character I wanted and it feels like this is the end.

But...

I decided I'm going to go for one more final character.

After the dust settled I looked at the current landscape of available characters (Mainly 3rd party characters) that I resonate with and believe are Smash worthy and while there are only a few names left I wouldn't mind seeing in Smash, But to me Crash Bandicoot checks off the most boxes on what I'm looking for on any available candidate not to mention that I have some history with the character and franchise growing up, He's a character that I have always considered before and has always been in my personal "Top 5" most wanted characters list, But most really haven't considered him to be a strong candidate until his big 2017 comeback.

While I am about 90-95% content with the roster, Crash Bandicoot is one of the very last few characters that I truly believe "Deserves" and "Needs" to be in Smash, I don't care what anybody says about "No one deserves or earned the right to be in Smash". To me personally there are some characters that I feel like should be prioritized and make more sense than others (Example: Sonic and Pacman) and Crash absolutely fits that bill.

Will I be disappointed? Yes I will because of what I mentioned above, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the most ambitious video game crossover in history and it will feel like a big part of past feuds and dream matchups missing if Crash Bandicoot doesn't make it in and maybe to a lesser extent Master Chief.

If Crash Bandicoot make it in then Super Smash Bros Ultimate to me will truly and really feel "Complete".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I barely even managed 104%. Those Platinum time trials are normally something that wouldn't be mandatory, yet they're needed to get the last secret ending.
I'm not dreading going for the platinums, I'm dreading getting the rest of the N. Sanely Perfect Relics. Why are they even in the game? No one like doing things the Crash 1 way before, so why would anyone like doing it now? If it were just the regular gems (And I mean the regular gems, NOT the N. Verted gems), time trial relics and flashback tapes, then I'd be okay with it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm not dreading going for the platinums, I'm dreading getting the rest of the N. Sanely Perfect Relics. Why are they even in the game? No one like doing things the Crash 1 way before, so why would anyone like doing it now? If it were just the regular gems (And I mean the regular gems, NOT the N. Verted gems), time trial relics and flashback tapes, then I'd be okay with it.
Not enough ways to keep people from beating the game quickly, I guess. And I did all the N. Sanely Perfect Relics already.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that the folks at Toys For Bob haven't paid attention to the Crash scene at all in the past 21 years...Didn't even plan any DLC from the looks of things.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I already got my most wanted character in Banjo-Kazooie and 2nd most in King K. Rool and I kind promised myself that I would retire from Smash speculation and delete my account here after Banjo-Kazooie makes it in as I don't really have enough gas left in the tank to keep speculating. I got every major character I wanted and it feels like this is the end.

But...

I decided I'm going to go for one more final character.

After the dust settled I looked at the current landscape of available characters (Mainly 3rd party characters) that I resonate with and believe are Smash worthy and while there are only a few names left I wouldn't mind seeing in Smash, But to me Crash Bandicoot checks off the most boxes on what I'm looking for on any available candidate not to mention that I have some history with the character and franchise growing up, He's a character that I have always considered before and has always been in my personal "Top 5" most wanted characters list, But most really haven't considered him to be a strong candidate until his big 2017 comeback.

While I am about 90-95% content with the roster, Crash Bandicoot is one of the very last few characters that I truly believe "Deserves" and "Needs" to be in Smash, I don't care what anybody says about "No one deserves or earned the right to be in Smash". To me personally there are some characters that I feel like should be prioritized and make more sense than others (Example: Sonic and Pacman) and Crash absolutely fits that bill.

Will I be disappointed? Yes I will because of what I mentioned above, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the most ambitious video game crossover in history and it will feel like a big part of past feuds and dream matchups missing if Crash Bandicoot doesn't make it in and maybe to a lesser extent Master Chief.

If Crash Bandicoot make it in then Super Smash Bros Ultimate to me will truly and really feel "Complete".
I'm right there with you. I mean, I'll be okay if he doesn't make it. You've got to be. I also got Banjo & Kazooie, and all my veterans and some cool newcomers too. Still, Crash really deserves it IMHO. I want Ryu too, but lately I've been saying "just give me Crash at the very least." I don't want to get greedy.

I'm a more recent Crash fan, but I still know it needs to happen. The connection with Sonic and Mario, and being the 4th highest selling platforming franchise behind Mario, Sonic, and DK just makes it seem like such an essential pick to me. We'll just have to see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, I must ask. If Crash gets in Smash, do you think he will break Twitter like Steve did?

Personally, I think he would.
no way that could ever happen, Minecraft is such popular game that Steve appearing in anything (especially Smash) is bound to be a big deal. Crash on the other hand just lacks the same level of popularity, and is bound to get more then a few people to react with a “literally who”

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
no way that could ever happen, Minecraft is such popular game that Steve appearing in anything (especially Smash) is bound to be a big deal. Crash on the other hand just lacks the same level of popularity, and is bound to get more then a few people to react with a “literally who”
I have a feeling kids who were born after the 90's will have no clue who Crash is or his legacy as a character. As for people born in the 90's and early 2000's, they know just how iconic Crash Bandicoot is.

I decided to replay Crash 2 N. Sane to get all 27 platinum relics. The last time I did this on PS4, I remember it taking about 2 weeks. This time on Switch, it only took a few days.
View attachment 291984
H O W ?
I've only got a few Platinums by absolute luck. No matter how fast I go, I can just never get the damn Platinums. And here I am over here hearing that the N. Sanely Perfect Relics in Crash 4 are even harder.

D

Deleted member

I have a feeling kids who were born after the 90's will have no clue who Crash is or his legacy as a character. As for people born in the 90's and early 2000's, they know just how iconic Crash Bandicoot is.

H O W ?
I've only got a few Platinums by absolute luck. No matter how fast I go, I can just never get the damn Platinums. And here I am over here hearing that the N. Sanely Perfect Relics in Crash 4 are even harder.
I slide jump a lot while doing the Crash Dash. If there's enough space to slide jump, slide jump. That's basically the whole jist of it.

D

Deleted member

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely try next time I play!
No problem! Also, if time crates are grouped together, you can slide spin into them and if there's only a single time crate, you can just slide into it. If crates are placed diagonaly together, you can just spin them.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Anyone else find it kind of sad (With the exception of Banjo-Kazooie) on the lack of platforming characters so far in the fighters pass? Grant it I'm kind of bias because it's my favorite genre and character type.

I'm expecting that to change sometime soon and while there is still 4 spots left anything can happen, But I will be really disappointed if we don't get any more.

Personally, While being an Icon/All-Star is a major factor, I have always felt that Super Smash Bros being a "Platform fighter" made me consider "Platforming mascots" more than other genres just because it feels natural and with Nintendo and Mario being viewed as the "King of platformers" it always made a lot of sense to me to have the biggest names of the platforming genre to battle it out in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

In the end like I have said many times before, I'm still heavily expecting to get one more platforming mascot with the 2 biggest and most likeliest candidates being Crash Bandicoot (Sorry Spyro) and Rayman, If we can get both than that will be great, While I don't have much history with Rayman, I'm aware of who he is and respect him and will make an effort to play some of his games more if he makes it in even if he doesn't. I have kind flipped flopped on both at times on who I think is more likely, But if we can only get one them without a doubt I'm expecting and pulling for Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This seriously happened?!
No, but Biden did actually give a tour of his Animal Crossing village (well, it was his PR team, but that point still stands).

Anyone else find it kind of sad (With the exception of Banjo-Kazooie) on the lack of platforming characters so far in the fighters pass? Grant it I'm kind of bias because it's my favorite genre and character type.

I'm expecting that to change sometime soon and while there is still 4 spots left anything can happen, But I will be really disappointed if we don't get any more.

Personally, While being an Icon/All-Star is a major factor, I have always felt that Super Smash Bros being a "Platform fighter" made me consider "Platforming mascots" more than other genres just because it feels natural and with Nintendo and Mario being viewed as the "King of platformers" it always made a lot of sense to me to have the biggest names of the platforming genre to battle it out in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

In the end like I have said many times before, I'm still heavily expecting to get one more platforming mascot with the 2 biggest and most likeliest candidates being Crash Bandicoot (Sorry Spyro) and Rayman, If we can get both than that will be great, While I don't have much history with Rayman, I'm aware of who he is and respect him and will make an effort to play some of his games more if he makes it in even if he doesn't. I have kind flipped flopped on both at times on who I think is more likely, But if we can only get one them without a doubt I'm expecting and pulling for Crash Bandicoot.
I'd be happy if we got Crash. I'd be happier if we also got Rayman. But if we got Spyro as well, then I'd be completely satisfied with platform characters.

Well... no... actually I'd put Frogger above them all. But seriously, that would be it.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

No, but Biden did actually give a tour of his Animal Crossing village (well, it was his PR team, but that point still stands).

I'd be happy if we got Crash. I'd be happier if we also got Rayman. But if we got Spyro as well, then I'd be completely satisfied with platform characters.

Well... no... actually I'd put Frogger above them all. But seriously, that would be it.
I actually wouldn't mind Frogger and feel like he doesn't get his fair of attention especially compared to other 1980's Arcade/NES era icons like Mario, Donkey Kong and Pac-man etc.

Grant it, Overall he's not as big as the other 3 mentioned above especially anything after the success of the arcade original, But is still a significant part of that era would fit right in with the rest of the cast, The question is how they will make him work and which model (Arcade or 3D Platformer) will they will use?

I unfortunately don't see him happening what with Konami already having Snake and the Belmont's in.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I actually wouldn't mind Frogger and feel like he doesn't get his fair of attention especially compared to other 1980's Arcade/NES era icons like Mario, Donkey Kong and Pac-man etc.

Grant it, Overall he's not as big as the other 3 mentioned above especially anything after the success of the arcade original, But is still a significant part of that era would fit right in with the rest of the cast, The question is how they will make him work and which model (Arcade or 3D Platformer) will they will use?

I unfortunately don't see him happening what with Konami already having Snake and the Belmont's in.
Not to veer off topic too much, but I do think that Frogger is possible, since Bomberman seems to be one of the very few characters I would actively call 'disconfirmed.'

How would he work?
Well, I imagine he would be heavily based on jumping, and evading.
One attack could be him jumping out of the way, and a car smashing forward underneath him.
Another where he ducks down (into a puddle) and a crocodile comes and attacks the enemy.
His jump would be the highest in the game, and his cadence when walking (hopping) would be delightfully odd.

Additionally, since the original game was unique in that it had a record number of death animations, so would this Frogger!

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm just hoping that we get some kind of clarification on those alternate costumes found in the game code for Tawna, Cortex, and Dingodile in the near future

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm just hoping that we get some kind of clarification on those alternate costumes found in the game code for Tawna, Cortex, and Dingodile in the near future
I honestly think they'll simply remain unused content that didn't work out, just like that door in the Artisans world of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

Heck, it seems that Ripper Roo was supposed to be a boss, given all the references to him in-game:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/724826859984126043/778407091193774090/swnpqpjpepz51.png

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

Yeah, I share your same sentiments. Something just feels kinda off about only getting one platforming character thus far. Crash's chances are at least looking good right now, fortunately.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I honestly think they'll simply remain unused content that didn't work out, just like that door in the Artisans world of the Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

Heck, it seems that Ripper Roo was supposed to be a boss, given all the references to him in-game:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/724826859984126043/778407091193774090/swnpqpjpepz51.png
Without ruining the game for me (I'm waiting for a Switch port), can someone tell me... why isn't Tiny a playable character?
The devs made a whole deal about playable characters, and they chose... Tawna and Dingodile?! How high were they?

Yeah, I share your same sentiments. Something just feels kinda off about only getting one platforming character thus far. Crash's chances are at least looking good right now, fortunately.
I want more fighting characters too. Having only three fighting game characters is messed up.
I've almost convinced myself we will get one more, and that maybe this is going to be one more spark in getting a third pass.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ripper Roo probably would've been a mini-boss like Louise if he was truly meant to be one. Not only that, but the jet boarding music for Run It Bayou has a V2, which would've been his boss theme.

What a shame.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Crash 4 has been nominated for Best Family Game. [Also, their is a funny typo with Crash 4 and Fall Guys's titles mixed up lol].

I'm also kinda disappointed that Crash 4 isn't a Game of the Year nominee, but I'll take what I can get.

View attachment 292125
Last year, this category was dominated by Nintendo. I mean, it still kinda is (Animal Crossing is gonna be tough to beat, I feel), but hey, variety is a good thing.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Crash 4 has been nominated for Best Family Game at this year's Game Awards. [Also, their is a funny typo with Crash 4 and Fall Guys's titles mixed up lol].

I'm also kinda disappointed that Crash 4 isn't a Game of the Year nominee, but I'll take what I can get.

View attachment 292125
I have a strong feeling NH or PM:TOK will be the winner of this category, but it's good to see Crash get the nod! It's also refreshing that only half of these are Nintendo games. I love Nintendo and they obviously make great family games, and I would never want that to stop. It's just, other companies make great family games too :)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Last year, this category was dominated by Nintendo. I mean, it still kinda is (Animal Crossing is gonna be tough to beat, I feel), but hey, variety is a good thing.
I have a strong feeling NH or PM:TOK will be the winner of this category, but it's good to see Crash get the nod! It's also refreshing that only half of these are Nintendo games. I love Nintendo and they obviously make great family games, and I would never want that to stop. It's just, other companies make great family games too :)
Yeah I agree. I think Animal Crossing is gonna win this category personally but I'm still rooting for Crash 4. :)

Top Bottom