• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Boy oh boy what a curious find. Looks like Nintendo worked on their official website today and they now have a section for their Holiday campaign. Browsing through the options, there's one titled "Nostalgia blasts". I clicked on it to see what games and/or products they had listed under said category and to my surprise, Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy is right there (alongside Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition). True that N-Sane Trilogy is a blast from the past (as stated by Cortex), but seeing it on Nintendo's Nostalgia blasts selection of products came as a subtle surprise.
https://www.nintendo.com/holiday/gift-finder/themed/nostalgia-blasts/

Hmm... Nah, they're just promoting it as well as a good Holiday title for those seeking to dive back into remastered classics.

... or... is that really everything there is to it? 👀

Faso115

Smash Lord
Fake because there is no Super Mario RPG.

Come on dude, first you have to think how Geno fits this new theory and then you propose it. No Geno, wasted slot /s

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So how is everyone gonna be if Crash doesn't make it? I would like at least SOME content in the game, but for someone like Crash it feels like we might get a character or nothing. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst honestly, just in case.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

So, I guess Vicarious Visions will remain busy on this game still.

So how is everyone gonna be if Crash doesn't make it? I would like at least SOME content in the game, but for someone like Crash it feels like we might get a character or nothing. I'm trying to prepare myself for the worst honestly, just in case.
Slightly confused at first, but ultimately understanding, since there's not enough time to get every third party character included at once. It's first come, first serve.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Odds are, if Crash is not the next character or the Summer/E3 2021 character, he is not in the game as a fighter.

My thoughts will be similar to why he wasn't in PSAS: he was out of budget range. In addition, they may not have wanted to negotiate with Activision around this time. Other possible reasons could be middling ballot performance: remember that while Crash is one of the big fandom characters in 2020 (with Waluigi, Geno and the Heavy being others), in 2015 when the ballot occurred he was still DOA to most people. (His Smash 4 support thread was opened in 2015! -- compared to the 2012-2013 for most characters -- and failed to reach 10 pages, barely making 5. In an era without Discord/Twitter being much bigger competition. This one passed 100, post Twitter boom and post Discord.)

If we do get a non-Crash Activision rep it's most likely Tracer, and he's probably a Mii Brawler costume/Spirit Event using Incineroar for the Spirit. At least he'll be either Ace or Legend class.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Steve wasn't seen too much during the fan campaigning in 2015, yet he got in anyway, so the ballot is more of a backup option than anything else. The rumored 5-year plan stems on whether Crash was being negotiated for at any point in between 2017-2021 (assuming there's enough leftover budget for the asking price range).

As for Tracer, it's possible that she may not get in over Crash if this is true: https://www.dexerto.com/smash/sakur...tchs-tracer-coming-to-smash-ultimate-1343186/

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Steve wasn't seen too much during the fan campaigning in 2015, yet he got in anyway, so the ballot is more of a backup option than anything else. The rumored 5-year plan stems on whether Crash was being negotiated for at any point in between 2017-2021 (assuming there's enough leftover budget for the asking price range).

As for Tracer, it's possible that she may not get in over Crash if this is true: https://www.dexerto.com/smash/sakur...tchs-tracer-coming-to-smash-ultimate-1343186/
I honestly don't get how some people actually believe Tracer has more of a chance then Crash. Like yeah, Tracer does have a chance and I'm not denying that, but what is even going in terms of evidence in favor of Tracer? The fact that we have an Overwatch Switch case? I feel like Tracer getting included would be one huge slap to the face to people who want Crash, especially since Crash has far more going for him.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I honestly don't get how some people actually believe Tracer has more of a chance then Crash. Like yeah, Tracer does have a chance and I'm not denying that, but what is even going in terms of evidence in favor of Tracer? The fact that we have an Overwatch Switch case? I feel like Tracer getting included would be one huge slap to the face to people who want Crash, especially since Crash has far more going for him.
For Tracer, I think it's a case where people think she's the most likely candidate from the Blizzard side of Activision-Blizzard, kinda like how Hero made sense as the rep for the Enix half of Square Enix (even though Enix technically doesn't exist anymore). If you look at it like that, then yeah, it's Tracer or nobody. Once you bring in Activision, however, that's where things get complicated.

Me personally? Overwatch is one of the few games I DON'T want in Smash, so I'll take Crash and/or Spyro any day of the week.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Even if Tracer were to get in smash, that doesn't stop Crash from getting in. We got 2 Microsoft owned characters within Ultimate's Dlc, even if they are from different passes. I don't know the fan idea that companies can only have one dlc is still floating around.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Even if Tracer were to get in smash, that doesn't stop Crash from getting in. We got 2 Microsoft owned characters within Ultimate's Dlc, even if they are from different passes. I don't know the fan idea that companies can only have one dlc is still floating around.
I feel like a big part of that is because there are only four DLC characters left (assuming that they stop after Fighters Pass 2, which seems pretty likely since they'd have been working on the DLC alone for at least three years by that point). Having half of those taken up by Activision characters seems a little unlikely to some people, and third party characters tend to be more spread out.

Smash 4's DLC third party characters (:4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta:) and the Fighters Pass 1 third party characters (:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry:) didn't double-dip on companies within those sets (it's not like we got two Sega characters in Smash 4's DLC, for example, and we didn't get Hero and Geno during FP1), and with so many options out there (Activision, Koei-Tecmo, Arc System Works, Capcom, Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, etc., along with first party characters on top of that), I'm not sure how likely it is that half of the remaining DLC characters will be from the same company.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Okay, seriously, what the heck are these pics Sakurai posts? Fox and Mii Creeper with the crates would have to be super heavy coincidences for that not to be a nod to Crash. Or it's just a jack-in-the-box gag.

The Nefarious Tropy clocks are still fair game though.
Jack-in-the-box reference is possible. Still seems super coincidental that it's Fox though...

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I really don't wanna be that guy to take everything Sakurai does as a hint for a character, but man these two pics don't seem too coincidental to me. Like I said, its always best to take these pics of the day with huge grains of salt, but I feel that timer picture and the one Sakurai posted yesterday seem like obvious Crash references that to me, could mean something for his chances.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
He could just be referencing games he's been playing/interested in. Thats it.
I don't think any of us are denying that. I honestly think its just cool to see Sakurai reference Crash at all, even if he isn't hinting at him being a character. These pics being hints are just a "what if" or "wouldn't that be cool" sorta thing.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Here's a new video from PapaGenos. I decided to share this one with you all since their is another piece of potential "evidence" that could suggest Crash could be coming to Smash. Its near the end of the video, and someone from Activision wrote a blog post on how something big for Crash will be happening very soon. Now, this could mean a number of things, but Smash could always be a possibility.

I think I'm gonna add this one to the list.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Hm, Has anyone teased a Smash reveal like that beforehand though? Those things are typically kept under tight wraps, but anything is possible.

I'm always wrong but my gut wants to say something crazy like a CTR and Mario Kart crossover or something similar 😂

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hm, Has anyone teased a Smash reveal like that beforehand though? Those things are typically kept under tight wraps, but anything is possible.

I'm always wrong but my gut wants to say something crazy like a CTR and Mario Kart crossover or something similar 😂
Not that I can recall, but I wouldn't say it can't be a hint because of that because I remember saying that events don't usually line up with character reveals until we got Steve revealed right next to that Minecraft Live event, so I think its possible this guy could be teasing Crash in Smash. We just need to wait and see.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Here's a new video from PapaGenos. I decided to share this one with you all since their is another piece of potential "evidence" that could suggest Crash could be coming to Smash. Its near the end of the video, and someone from Activision wrote a blog post on how something big for Crash will be happening very soon. Now, this could mean a number of things, but Smash could always be a possibility.

Either way it's exciting that the Crash train is still going! I can only hope at this point...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I'm fairly certain it would actually be this:

On a more actual relevant note, Zembillas has teased an upcoming partnership.

http://zembillas.blogspot.com/2020/11/crash-bandicoot-something-new-on-way.html

Given the wording, it might be the rumored cartoon.
So don't expect a Smash reveal until E3 at the least.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What is this rumored cartoon? Like an animated series? :O
Possibly that. We can't say for sure, but Zembillas would definitely know people in high places within the animation industry.

I'm also confused as to why this rumor would make anything be held off to E3.
June is an important month when it comes to Crash-related game news or releases, so it would be the "logical" end point of the leaked five-year document.

Also, Smash reveals have never been announced by a third-party or outside source, ever. The closest was the Game Awards, and even then Reggie was present at the event, so Nintendo was clearly involved then.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't their a Crash cartoon that originally was in the works back in the day? If so, then I think that would be cool if that idea was revisited, as unlikely as it is to me.
It wasn't a full on animated series, but there were animated intro and ending cutscenes for the original Crash Bandicoot that ended up not being used. Both can be found on YouTube.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
It wasn't a full on animated series, but there were animated intro and ending cutscenes for the original Crash Bandicoot that ended up not being used. Both can be found on YouTube.
So I heard. I just can't help but think that that opening cutscene feels a lot like a 90's theme song for a cartoon. It would be cool if this ended up being the theme song for this supposed Crash cartoon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom