• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Crash and puns go like bread and butter, I mean just look at all the stage titles in the series.

Those were far reach, That damn chair theory was the most absolutely ****ing stupid argument I ever heard.

Oooh, That's one I haven't heard yet, That's a good one.
I still think the optical illusions in regards to Rayman were stupider.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Looks like Crash is getting himself a Nendoroid from Good Smile.

Good Smile as far as I can tell primarily focuses on Japan based franchises (for reference, Crash and Doomslayer (announced alongside Crash) are two of the few non Japan based characters announced) so it's nice to see more merchandise and to see that the brand is popular over there.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Looks like Crash is getting himself a Nendoroid from Good Smile.

Good Smile as far as I can tell primarily focuses on Japan based franchises (for reference, Crash and Doomslayer (announced alongside Crash) are two of the few non Japan based characters announced) so it's nice to see more merchandise and to see that the brand is popular over there.
Damn, you know that Crash's revival is seriously pushed when he finally gets a Nendo, of all things.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
There's one thing that I truly want in Crash's moveset, and that's for his spin to reflect projectiles, like it does in the Cortex fight in Crash 1 and the Cortex/Mecha Bandicoot fight in Twinsanity. How would you feel about that?
Personally I'd quite like that. The cape is probably my favourite bit of Mario's kit and this seems like another good reflector option.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
There's one thing that I truly want in Crash's moveset, and that's for his spin to reflect projectiles, like it does in the Cortex fight in Crash 1 and the Cortex/Mecha Bandicoot fight in Twinsanity. How would you feel about that?
Dude, that should be a no-brainer (mainly because his spins reflects more things in the N. Sane Trilogy combined than the examples you listed).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Don't forget about 'Akano's Dark Matter power doing that as well. Yeah, I think that would fit pretty well.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Bro, it's weird they haven't cutified Crash in that nendoroid considering Japan likes their crash cute.

Eh, it's cute enough i guess

D

Deleted member

Dude, that should be a no-brainer (mainly because his spins reflects more things in the N. Sane Trilogy combined than the examples you listed).
I know. I just really want his spin to reflect projectiles in Smash and there's just a tiny part of me that's thinking they may not do that.
Don't forget about 'Akano's Dark Matter power doing that as well. Yeah, I think that would fit pretty well.
Of course I couldn't forget about Akano. He's my favorite quantum mask alongside Kapuna-Wa.
Bro, it's weird they haven't cutified Crash in that nendoroid considering Japan likes their crash cute.

Eh, it's cute enough i guess
That Crash nendoroid is very cute, and I'm getting one when it releases.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Crash 4 design manages to be cute enough to break the international boundaries. Especially compared to Radical's Titans design apparently being impossible to redesign for a Japanese release, due to how the mechanics in those games worked.

I know. I just really want his spin to reflect projectiles in Smash and there's just a tiny part of me that's thinking they may not do that.

Of course I couldn't forget about Akano. He's my favorite quantum mask alongside Kapuna-Wa.

That Crash nendoroid is very cute, and I'm getting one when it releases.
Sak has an eye for detail when he's inspired enough or is given enough free reign, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Crash is known for his spinning, so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility to include reflecting.

Speaking of Sak, I wonder if he's enjoyed the running commentary from the villains in Crash 4...

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what do you guys think Crash's "gimmick" should be if he were to get included?

I think Crash could have some sort of mask gimmick that could work in one of two ways. One way this could work is that this could work like the older Naughty Dog games, where Aku Aku changes in to a more orange color, resulting in him being more powerful. However, if someone were to attack Aku Aku, he will change back to his original color, and if attacked again, he will disappear. But if he gains all of the Aku Aku's power, he can turn invincible for a short period of time. The way you can gain power from Aku Aku is by breaking Aku Aku crates that will appear occasionally during the match, which is how you get Aku Aku back. With Aku Aku, you are more stronger depending on what color he is, and you're gonna need him because Crash uses Aku Aku for a good portion of his moves, which is why its important to have Aku Aku in battle with you. I personally like this idea as masks are an important gameplay element of the Crash series, but as I said, I have another idea.

My second idea for a mask gimmick is utilizing the quantum masks from Crash 4. I think this could work like Shulk's Monado Arts, where Crash can select from the five quantum masks of his choosing. Using Lani-Loli can allow him to spawn a random item in the match. However, Crash will only be able to spawn one item. I think this mask can also be able to auto-deflect projectiles as well. Using Akano can allow Crash to hover in mid-air for a short period of time. I think this mask should only be used when in need of horizontal recovery, as this mask might be useless in actual battle. Using Kapuna-Wa will essentially work like Bayonetta's Witch Time, where Crash can slow down time for a short period of time. I'm honestly not sure how Ika-Ika could work but I think instead of how this mask works in the original game, I think instead what this mask could do in Smash is effect the gravity of the opponents by either increasing or decreasing their falling speed. To balance this gimmick out, I think this could be a Wonderwing scenario where you can only use these quantum masks once per stock. Their will also be a meter right above Crash's icon, indicating that he can only use these masks for a limited time, just like Shulk's Monado Arts. I actually really like this gimmick as well, and either of these mask gimmicks could work really well for Crash.

Or, Crash could have no gimmick at all as well, since some DLC characters don't necessarily HAVE to have a gimmick like Byleth, but Sakurai did state that gimmicks will be a huge draw for DLC and I think its really fun to come up with your own gimmicks. I would love to hear what you all think of this!

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but what do you guys think Crash's "gimmick" should be if he were to get included?

I think Crash could have some sort of mask gimmick that could work in one of two ways. One way this could work is that this could work like the older Naughty Dog games, where Aku Aku changes in to a more orange color, resulting in him being more powerful. However, if someone were to attack Aku Aku, he will change back to his original color, and if attacked again, he will disappear. But if he gains all of the Aku Aku's power, he can turn invincible for a short period of time. The way you can gain power from Aku Aku is by breaking Aku Aku crates that will appear occasionally during the match, which is how you get Aku Aku back. With Aku Aku, you are more stronger depending on what color he is, and you're gonna need him because Crash uses Aku Aku for a good portion of his moves, which is why its important to have Aku Aku in battle with you. I personally like this idea as masks are an important gameplay element of the Crash series, but as I said, I have another idea.

My second idea for a mask gimmick is utilizing the quantum masks from Crash 4. I think this could work like Shulk's Monado Arts, where Crash can select from the five quantum masks of his choosing. Using Lani-Loli can allow him to spawn a random item in the match. However, Crash will only be able to spawn one item. I think this mask can also be able to auto-deflect projectiles as well. Using Akano can allow Crash to hover in mid-air for a short period of time. I think this mask should only be used when in need of horizontal recovery, as this mask might be useless in actual battle. Using Kapuna-Wa will essentially work like Bayonetta's Witch Time, where Crash can slow down time for a short period of time. I'm honestly not sure how Ika-Ika could work but I think instead of how this mask works in the original game, I think instead what this mask could do in Smash is effect the gravity of the opponents by either increasing or decreasing their falling speed. To balance this gimmick out, I think this could be a Wonderwing scenario where you can only use these quantum masks once per stock. Their will also be a meter right above Crash's icon, indicating that he can only use these masks for a limited time, just like Shulk's Monado Arts. I actually really like this gimmick as well, and either of these mask gimmicks could work really well for Crash.

Or, Crash could have no gimmick at all as well, since some DLC characters don't necessarily HAVE to have a gimmick like Byleth, but Sakurai did state that gimmicks will be a huge draw for DLC and I think its really fun to come up with your own gimmicks. I would love to hear what you all think of this!
My idea is to have Aku Aku make Crash more durable. At lvl2 Aku Aku you are hard to launch, but once you take a hit more than 13 or so percent you lose Aku Aku.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I am personally expecting Crash Bandicoot to be the "Banjo-Kazooie" of season 2's fighter pass.

Not just from an aesthetic standpoint ,But also be a really standard and basic in terms of moveset, It may sound boring to some, But that's just the nature of most platforming mascots. I think most agree that if he has a gimmick then it will likely involve the Aku Aku mask, But overall still play like a traditional Smash fighter pre-Brawl era, Which I am absolutely fine with as I always preferred more straightforward characters.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I'm calling it right now, if Crash gets in Smash, I predict his codename will be "Willie", in reference to his original name, Willie the Wombat.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm calling it right now, if Crash gets in Smash, I predict his codename will be "Willie", in reference to his original name, Willie the Wombat.
Given how Steve's codename was literally the Japanese term for pickaxe, I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese word for crate was used

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Looks like PapaGenos is is on Team Bandicoot.
Ironically, despite Crash being my most wanted, I am skeptical of this theory.
But if we go down, we go down together.
I didn't have Steve on my personal wishlist, but I was extremely happy with him. Min Min is fun to play as, but she killed Assist Trophies, so I'm meh on her. But even if all 4 remaining characters are home runs, I will be legitimately disappointed if Crash is not included.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That Sakurai stopwatch picture lining up with the N. Tropy helmet clocks is definitely a major coincidence. There's no way it isn't. I'm confident in Crash, but I'm not taking this as any kind of hint. Maybe a reference, but a hint? That's going to be a no from me.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not to say it doesn't affect Crash's chances but I think its nothing more but a reference. As Papagenos mentioned, Sakurai is a gamer and all his tweets he makes are for the most part just references to other games like the Arle and her pet comparison with Marth and Pikachu. There's no doubt about it he's probably already played Crash 4.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I don't even think it's a reference at all, it's just two clock items in front of a slow-mo effect background. This is like the witch and the cat in Stage Maker all over again.
Eh I have to disagree. I think this is quite obviously a reference to Crash 4. I feel its highly unlikely that the times just happened to be the same times on both male and female N. Tropy's heads, oherwise this would have to be the biggest coincidence if I ever seen one. I feel like it was most certainly intentional and the fact that this was tweeted around the current hype for this game makes it even more obvious.

Now, whether this is a tease or hint towards Crash is totally up for debate, but I have no doubt in my mind that Sakurai was referencing Crash 4 here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Between this and the supposed "DLC" for Crash 4, I get the feeling that it'll be impossible for me to disprove either. :glare:

On a different topic, since Jess Harnell is busy with the Animaniacs reboot, I think that Scott Whyte would fill in perfectly for a Crash appearance in Smash. They could just yank his sound bites from It's About Time, he even has a drawn-out scream for falling into bottomless areas that could be repurposed for Star KOs.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Between this and the supposed "DLC" for Crash 4, I get the feeling that it'll be impossible for me to disprove either. :glare:

On a different topic, since Jess Harnell is busy with the Animaniacs reboot, I think that Scott Whyte would fill in perfectly for a Crash appearance in Smash. They could just yank his sound bites from It's About Time, he even has a drawn-out scream for falling into bottomless areas that could be repurposed for Star KOs.
Or like with Banjo and how they recycled his voice clips, they just recycle the voice clips from the N. Sane trilogy

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Sakurai does hint at stuff, so I could see the clocks being a hint, definitely. But it's worth keeping in mind that he does also reference games even if they have no content in Smash and won't get any. So I lean towards it being a hint, but can't say with certainty that it is. All we can do is wait and see what what happens

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
For the most part, I can say I am pretty confident in Crash happening as I feel like the stars are aligning for him and Geno atm. The only thing that really has me worried about his chances is how Steve's trailer was put together, since Steve's trailer was exactly how I always envisioned a Crash trailer with all these gaming icons clashing together, but I'm sure their are other possible ideas for a reveal trailer as well.

Either way, I am pretty excited. Whether he is CP8 or the very last reveal, I do expect Crash [and Geno] to show up in this Pass.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Or like with Banjo and how they recycled his voice clips, they just recycle the voice clips from the N. Sane trilogy
Would be fun if they did a mix of that and Nitro-Fueled, in my opinion. I just hope that game is clearly acknowledged if Crash eventually gets in Ultimate.

For the most part, I can say I am pretty confident in Crash happening as I feel like the stars are aligning for him and Geno atm. The only thing that really has me worried about his chances is how Steve's trailer was put together, since Steve's trailer was exactly how I always envisioned a Crash trailer with all these gaming icons clashing together, but I'm sure their are other possible ideas for a reveal trailer as well.

Either way, I am pretty excited. Whether he is CP8 or the very last reveal, I do expect Crash [and Geno] to show up in this Pass.
On that note, what do you think about the theories about the Mario 35th tournament specifically being held back for a Mario fighter reveal? We've still yet to hear a thing about the date for that.

I still think Crash would be second-to-last, final fighter could be someone real obscure for all we know.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
On that note, what do you think about the theories about the Mario 35th tournament specifically being held back for a Mario fighter reveal? We've still yet to hear a thing about the date for that.

I still think Crash would be second-to-last, final fighter could be someone real obscure for all we know.
I've said this a lot on the Geno thread, and I'll say it here too. I have been saying for quite some time now that Geno will be the next reveal, and he was basically supposed to be the "Banjo" of this Pass. I think the Mario tournament is really great evidence for him, especially if its to be believed that we will get a reveal at TGA. Even if we don't end up getting a reveal at TGA or in December at all, its still very likely CP8 was supposed to be tied to this Mario tournament, as its all but guaranteed that Steve and 8 were supposed to be the E3 reveals.

To get back on topic with Crash, I think Crash could be either CP9, 10 or 11, but I'm leaning moreso towards 10, since I think he will be the last character revealed at E3 as another double reveal.

D

Deleted member

Another good idea I've seen thrown around for a reveal trailer for Crash was have people in Mario, DK, Yoshi and Pikachu costumes square off against the guy in the Crash suit, as a throwback to that infamous Smash 64 commercial. I'll honestly have to think of something myself.

I'm still extremely confident Crash will be in Smash, and I'm thinking about putting a Crash moveset in here, because there are some unique things I've thought of for a Crash moveset.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Another good idea I've seen thrown around for a reveal trailer for Crash was have people in Mario, DK, Yoshi and Pikachu costumes square off against the guy in the Crash suit, as a throwback to that infamous Smash 64 commercial. I'll honestly have to think of something myself.

I'm still extremely confident Crash will be in Smash, and I'm thinking about putting a Crash moveset in here, because there are some unique things I've thought of for a Crash moveset.
As much as I would LOVE for a trailer featuring the guy in the Crash outfit, I'm not too sure of it happening considering the Japanese Crash commercials were WAY different from how they were in the West, but I would love to see a trailer like that regardless.

Also, I would love to see your ideas for a Crash moveset!

Top Bottom