• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
For what it's worth, there isn't enough time or room to fit in every company's character for this time (if Sak continues to reiterate that Fighters Pass 2 is the final one, which he most likely will). Even Grasshopper's Suda could only receive a Mii costume for Travis despite him being on friendly terms with Sakurai.

But yeah, PSASBR is like comparing apples to oranges. The whole thing fell before it got a chance to even leave the nest.
I don't think I ever claimed there was, just that Crash's circumstances with All-Stars probably wouldn't cause Crash to be absent from Smash. I'd say Crash has a better chance than most primarily because of his legacy and just other ideal circumstances, but yeah, it's certainly he could still miss the boat like most characters. 4 more characters is still a lot, but in the grand scheme of Smash's ambition and potential, it's also a tiny amount.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think I ever claimed there was, just that Crash's circumstances with All-Stars probably wouldn't cause Crash to be absent from Smash. I'd say Crash has a better chance than most primarily because of his legacy and just other ideal circumstances, but yeah, it's certainly he could still miss the boat like most characters. 4 more characters is still a lot, but in the grand scheme of Smash's ambition and potential, it's also a tiny amount.
I mean, we got a character who disproves the "can't show up in more than one fighting game not by the company at the same time" fan rule right there, so it's almost certain that Crash wouldn't have been blocked by PSASBR anyways, no doubts on that front. :ult_terry:

Crash hasn't been owned by Sony for over a decade at this point, so as far as everyone's concerned, he's a third-party that can be put into whatever.

Last edited:

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I might be a little biased to them but I definitely feel that Crash Bandicoot & Ryu Hayabusa are some of the most likely contenders of the remaining 4 DLC spots. With Crash his relevancy and popularity surged at just the right time and will always have that legacy of being Mario's rival along with Sonic, when the PS1 rolled out with Crash being its mascot in the late 90's. I personally feel we'll receive one more western character in FP2 and that's Crash. Especially since it looks like Nintendo is trying to outdo themselves. The only character I could see rivaling that spot is Master Chief but after Steve being 7 I have a hard time seeing him being in unless they make a FP3.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I adore Crash 4 but damn...I swear the levels were designed by psychopaths. Don't get me wrong it's all very satisfying, but I'm not replaying the final level for a long time.

D

Deleted member

I adore Crash 4 but damn...I swear the levels were designed by psychopaths. Don't get me wrong it's all very satisfying, but I'm not replaying the final level for a long time.
I'm going to play it again for the box gem because I was so close to getting it last time.
The flashbacks tapes would indicate he made Dingodile after Coco bailed
Didn't Brio create Dingodile and not Cortex? I swear I saw something where it was said Brio created him.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Didn't Brio create Dingodile and not Cortex? I swear I saw something where it was said Brio created him.
Yes, in Crash 2 N.Brio says that he will do everything in his power to stop Crash and since Cortex is not on earth during the events of Crash 2, he's the only other person capable of making mutants. However, Dingodile's creation is confirmed to be from N.Brio through Crash Bash, as he also made Rilla Roo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the next mainline games will do a lot towards filling in the gaps (if not outright rewrite them) in regards to character origins. So far, we know for sure that Crash and Coco were completed in 1996, Coco was still in Cortex Castle for a time, and Crash was labelled as "Subject #218", so lord knows just how many other mutants weren't ready to be sent out yet or escaped during Crash's revolt?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I JUST found out that you can set off a nitro crate without a mask and survive. If you bounce off the edge of the nitro you can avoid the blast radius. That's excellent news for some flashback levels

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
What if... It was About Time?
I saw the tweet and just pictured people pointing to it as a hint.

Anyway, been thinking about what costumes I would like to see if Crash gets in. There's plenty of options for costumes beyond just palette swaps and with Steve & Alex sneaking in Zombie and Enderman alts, I think it would be cool if we got Fake Crash as an alt.. A cool choice would also be Evil Crash but I feel that's less likely.

D

Deleted member

Yes, in Crash 2 N.Brio says that he will do everything in his power to stop Crash and since Cortex is not on earth during the events of Crash 2, he's the only other person capable of making mutants. However, Dingodile's creation is confirmed to be from N.Brio through Crash Bash, as he also made Rilla Roo.
I had a feeling Brio was Dingodile's real creator. I just knew it.

I'm two days late to this because I haven't been online, but I'm quoting anyway.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Anyway, been thinking about what costumes I would like to see if Crash gets in. There's plenty of options for costumes beyond just palette swaps and with Steve & Alex sneaking in Zombie and Enderman alts, I think it would be cool if we got Fake Crash as an alt.. A cool choice would also be Evil Crash but I feel that's less likely.
I see the Warped jacket, Fake Crash, Coco if we're lucky and maybe even Retro Crash (since that's been a thing lately).

D

Deleted member

Crash's 7th palette should be Biker Crash and his 8th palette should be Fake Crash. That's enough to satisfy me.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Realized another thing, if you spin before landing on a metal bounce crate you won't trigger the bounce. PERFECT for Coco's flashback tapes if you know what I mean!

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So, I just seen the pics of the timers that could lead to dates through PapaGenos's video, and this is something that has really peaked my interest. While I doubt this is specifically a hint for one character, I do have to point out something that no one has mentioned yet.

The vortex in the background is REALLY reminiscent of the vortex background used in Crash Warped's time twister cutscenes:
IMG_20201015_190743.jpg

maxresdefault (6).jpg

Not only that, but ever since Warped, the Crash franchise has had a huge emphasis on time, which is why the timers are their.

And if the dates are anything to go by, the December 14th date could be when the Sakurai Presentation could be, when the actual character reveal could be at the TGA. Crash would easily be TGA material for a reveal so its very possible this could mean something.

While this might not mean anything, and it could be just Sakurai posting a random picture, it does give me off N. Sane Crash vibes when looking at it and its pretty cool that Sakurai may be actually referencing Crash Warped. If this IS a hint for a character, Crash seems to be that character that may be getting hinted at here, going off all of this.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So, I just seen the pics of the timers that could lead to dates through PapaGenos's video, and this is something that has really peaked my interest. While I doubt this is specifically a hint for one character, I do have to point out something that no one has mentioned yet.

The vortex in the background is REALLY reminiscent of the vortex background used in Crash Warped's time twister cutscenes:
View attachment 289414
View attachment 289415

Not only that, but ever since Warped, the Crash franchise has had a huge emphasis on time, which is why the timers are their.

And if the dates are anything to go by, the December 14th date could be when the Sakurai Presentation could be, when the actual character reveal could be at the TGA. Crash would easily be TGA material for a reveal so its very possible this could mean something.

While this might not mean anything, and it could be just Sakurai posting a random picture, it does give me off N. Sane Crash vibes when looking at it and its pretty cool that Sakurai may be actually referencing Crash Warped. If this IS a hint for a character, Crash seems to be that character that may be getting hinted at here, going off all of this.
I feel this is just confirmation bias because of Crash 4 being recent. The effect is what happens when you pick up a timer in game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

View attachment 289414
View attachment 289415

Not to mention that Tweet he made 2 weeks ago that just simply said... "It's About Time", Exactly one day before Crash Bandicoot 4 was gonna be released.

Grant it he intended it for the character reveal and it's pretty common term, But he could be teasing that Crash Bandicoot is gonna be coming to Smash.

Just for the record, Even if none of this means anything, I still really like Crash's chances in Season 2.

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Because I can't stop thinking about that dumb five-year plan, anyone else seeing the large amounts of money Activision is putting into marketing and merchandising for Crash? Again, we still don't know if that plan is real but given what's going around for him that could be a plus. Smash is a pretty good Marketing tool.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Because I can't stop thinking about that dumb five-year plan, anyone else seeing the large amounts of money Activision is putting into marketing and merchandising for Crash? Again, we still don't know if that plan is real but given what's going around for him that could be a plus. Smash is a pretty good Marketing tool.
Crash in Smash just rhymes so well they have to do it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Acti leaks are real at least 95% of the time.

You never know, seeing how negotiations for Steve occurred years before Ultimate was unveiled.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, even if the document leak isn't real somehow, I would still be shocked if Activision didn't plan on getting Crash in Smash. I feel like ever since the N. Sane Trilogy, they have really tried to make him become a gaming icon again. As such, it only makes sense for Activision and Nintendo to wanna include Crash in the ultimate crossover game to duke it out with other video game icons. It just makes so much sense.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is there even a precedent for Sakurai leaving cryptic hints for upcoming characters so soon after the previous one released? I don't think that's his style.
You'd be right. Teasing generally only occurs during a fighter reveal trailer, which honestly isn't very long.

Only went wild during 4's speculation period, but seeing how fans reacted to :ultridley: being a boss, he hasn't done it since.

The only fighter in Smash's entire history who had deliberate hints was :ultpalutena: and even then it was during base game speculation and said "hint" was really obvious (and he had recently done Kid Icarus Uprising, so go figure).

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TrollingCreator

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Crash in Smash just rhymes so well they have to do it.
It's one of those things that I can see it being an unavoidably corny joke told by Sakurai and team.

"You would think with a game like Smash, We wouldn't forget about Crash because how closely it rhymes and of course you would be correct about that"

Or his tagline possibly being something like:

"Crash dashes into Smash"

"Crash Bandicoot crashes the party"

It just makes too much sense not to be brought up.

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
It's one of those things that I can see it being an unavoidably corny joke told by Sakurai and team.

"You would think with a game like Smash, We wouldn't forget about Crash because how closely it rhymes and of course you would be correct about that"

Or his tagline possibly being something like:

"Crash dashes into Smash"

"Crash Bandicoot crashes the party"

It just makes too much sense not to be brought up.
I'm still fond of "Crash Bandicoot gives it a spin!"

Top Bottom