• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

MattX20

Smash Hero

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Eh, as long as it’s not microtransactions then it’s not gonna ruin the game for me.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They'd be reasonable regardless. There would still be the option to get everything for free.

But seeing as this game is a regular platformer that's looking to be one-and-done with a metric ton of content from the onset, I have a hard time seeing this get a DLC gameplay extension. Getting 106% will keep players busy for months, never mind the TFB relics.

Hell, the multiplayer modes are couch co-op and we don't know if those will even get online options.

If anything, one's gotta rather wait and see how On The Run's battle packs will work, since those seem to be the only things to purchase for that mobile game.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Let's not jump to conclusions like this. You guys remember what happened when the game was announced, right? A lot of people and even relatively popular youtubers claiming crash 4 would have microtransactions and it wasn't true.

D

Deleted member

Minor spoilers for Crash 4 to anyone who hasn't played it yet.

I played Crash 4 yesterday and decided to try and get the box gem in the stage Run It Bayou. I didn't get it but I do think that it isn't as bad of a stage to do as much as I first thought it was. For the final jetboard section, you can just turn yourself around and let the current take you down and you can boost up the current to go slower so you can get all of the boxes on the way down. I thought it was smooth sailing from there.

Also, the yellow gem in this level is likely the worst placement for a colored gem I have ever seen. Ever.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
View attachment 288679
Friendly reminder that Crash is #1 on Source Gaming’s Mega Poll.
Call me bias, But I feel like Crash Bandicoot is the only one on that list that really "Needs" to be in Smash.

Not that some of them don't qualify, But I feel like any significant franchise that has had a major franchise rivalry (Sonic, Crash) with Mario or has crossed over previously with Mario/DK (Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Pacman, Banjo-Kazooie) should be prioritized.

To me it would feel like something is missing in Smash if Crash, Sonic, Pacman and even Banjo-Kazooie didn't make the cut than say a minor character or someone that's normally outside of Nintendo's "Wheelhouse".

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Someone needs to tag me when Crash 4 is announced for Switch.
Wait until E3 2021 o so, there is likely a 9/10 months wait like it was for Spyro Trilogy. Expect a july or august release date. Maybe the same day or month at least as the Switch “Pro”. (Just like Spyro was released the same month as Switch Lite).

PS I also expect TH PS 1+2 to be released on Switch during spring, likely may or something like that. I hoped next year, Activision remakes Guitar Hero (1+2?).

CrashBandicootFan1

Smash Cadet

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think the Trailer would be better if Sonic was Replaced by Mario on N.Sanity Beach so that Crash can show up and say to Mario "Hey Plumber Boy your worst nightmare has arrived!"
Without a doubt, I wouldn't mind if Sonic was involved in some capacity, But the focus should definitely be Mario and Crash Bandicoot or a friendly rivalry that all 3 can have under one roof that is Super Smash Bros.

But to no surprise I think it's safe to say that's what the majority of fans want to see in Crash's Smash trailer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So has the supposedly leaked 5-year Activision plan for Crash been covered yet?
It was mentioned in articles a few years prior to the details on that document potentially being leaked. The document's existence, if it actually does exist at all, isn't anything new. It's details, however, are new.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
Something that interests me about these details is that this five-year plan was leaked before Ultimate was even announced so it's either that Activision was just assuming Smash would be on the Switch at some point (which seems likely) or they knew about it beforehand.

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
I just want more details about these leakers saying it's a legit plan. It all just feels so intangible until then...
I agree, I'd need someone to flat-out tell us it's real. It looks great if it's true for a multitude of reasons (I doubt Activision would just leave a detail that big on a plan if they didn't have it approved to do), but it's all just speculation until we get real info.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Something that interests me about these details is that this five-year plan was leaked before Ultimate was even announced so it's either that Activision was just assuming Smash would be on the Switch at some point (which seems likely) or they knew about it beforehand.
I just want more details about these leakers saying it's a legit plan. It all just feels so intangible until then...
At any rate, I figure that the 5-year plan may get an extension thanks to N.Sane, Nitro-Fueled and 4 selling like hotcakes. We'll know the full picture by the end of next year.

In the meantime, I wonder when we'll hear about that Crash "PvP" game supposedly coming on consoles, mobile and PC next year that TheGamingRevolution covered a while back. Game Awards? E3(ish)? Next June? The only thing I'm certain about is that it could be a spin-off party game, since next year's the 25th anniversary.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that On The Run might launch late this month? If the first battle pack features Mr. Crumb, it'd be the right time for it.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So if Nintendo and Mojang had talks of putting Steve in Smash Ultimate for 3-5 years, is it not possible Nintendo and Activision also had negotiations at the same time Nintendo allowed them to put Donkey Kong and Bowser in Skylanders.
It's possible. For a good while now, whenever major Crash news happen, they tend to just so happen to drop on the day major Ultimate news occur.

• :ultjoker: & Nitro-Fueled at the VGAs
  • :ulthero: & :ultbanjokazooie: at E3, on the day that Nitro-Fueled's DLC was announced
  • :ultminmin Sakurai Presents, on the day that Crash 4 was (officially) announced
  • Steve reveal, literally the day before Crash 4 launches (though that might be a stretch

If these aren't a rather uncanny series of coincidences, then it's a pattern. It's only a matter of time before the streams eventually, potentially cross.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
As someone who never played crash, just spyro games, should I get the insane trilogy before Crash 4, or just go straight into Crash 4? I heard conflicting things about the trilogy remake, but since i never played the originals I dunno if that would really affect me 🤔

D

Deleted member

As someone who never played crash, just spyro games, should I get the insane trilogy before Crash 4, or just go straight into Crash 4? I heard conflicting things about the trilogy remake, but since i never played the originals I dunno if that would really affect me 🤔
The N. Sane Trilogy is a great way to experience the original titles, and Crash 4 is an excellent game as well. I'd say if you're leaning more towards experiencing the original games before you hop into Crash 4, then get N. Sane so you have a better understanding of what's going on in Crash 4. But if you don't care about that and want to hop into the new stuff, then get Crash 4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would suggest trying N. Sane first, as 4 is geared towards series veterans used to the difficulty of earlier games.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Definitely play the N.Sane Trilogy first to give you an idea of what your getting into and While the Crash Bandicoot games don't have some big complex story, The first 3 games will give you an idea of what the franchise's origins is all about and get to see why Crash Bandicoot is such a beloved and iconic character and franchise that many want to see in Super Smash Bros.

Though I have yet to play it myself because I only have a Switch currently, But I have heard nothing ,but good things about Crash Bandicoot 4: "It's About Time", Should absolutely be a must play after the trilogy.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hey all, I'm not a regular of this thread really or even SmashBoards as a whole, but I did just finish this write-up on why I just think Crash just seems like one of the most ideal contenders for Ultimate's DLC to me at this point: https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-4219#post-24129928. Feel free to give me any additional feedback. There's plenty of other things I didn't address I know (I didn't mention Crash 4 because it's so recent and also not relevant to Crash's potential inclusion in Smash at this time really from a sales figure point of view), but I just enjoyed taking a minute to do one of my longer form posts.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Farm lives if you play the Nsane trilogy first. That's the best advice I can give. Unless you're like a platforming god or something. That and watch for Crash's shadow when coming down from a jump.

I enjoy the remakes, but I didn't start to LOVE them until I looked up the best way to farm lives. Lives as a concept are extremely outdated because they can punish you for improving at a game, and worst of all they waste your time.

That's probably why they gave you the option to turn them off in Crash 4. They even added greater visibility to his shadow (which is also an option for purists that want to turn it off). I can't wait to play it. I'm hoping it comes to Switch here soon...

D

Deleted member

Let's not jump to conclusions like this. You guys remember what happened when the game was announced, right? A lot of people and even relatively popular youtubers claiming crash 4 would have microtransactions and it wasn't true.
they can still add them in post launch like they did with ctr

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This is potentially tempting fate, but Crash feels like the one character that would be more surprising at not getting than anything else. Even with Activision's obstinacy, the opportunity with Smash Ultimate now feels so much bigger than something like Playstation All Stars, that its hard to imagine them not taking advantage. Especially with a likely Switch version of Crash 4 on the way, him in Smash simply makes too much sense for all parties. That's hardly a guarantee of anything, but there's never been a better time than now for him.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This is potentially tempting fate, but Crash feels like the one character that would be more surprising at not getting than anything else. Even with Activision's obstinacy, the opportunity with Smash Ultimate now feels so much bigger than something like Playstation All Stars, that its hard to imagine them not taking advantage. Especially with a likely Switch version of Crash 4 on the way, him in Smash simply makes too much sense for all parties. That's hardly a guarantee of anything, but there's never been a better time than now for him.
I hate to jinx it too, but Crash is one of the two fighters I am absolutely sold on being in the game. The other is Rex.

Crash just has everything going for him. Popular enough in Japan. Massive icon. Company friendly with Nintendo. Games are coming out and we all know Crash 4 is coming to the Switch next year. Everything is lining up for Crash.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Based on what we know of SuperBot basically having no negotiating power and no funding to make Playstation All-Stars, I don't think it's particularly relevant Crash didn't make it in considering how much that team basically got bullied by every developer they worked with. Sakurai has a massive amount of clout in the industry, Nintendo is very willing to bank roll content for Smash, and Activision is also much more interested in relaunching Crash as a proper IP than they were 8 years ago.

That doesn't guarantee Crash mind you, but All-Stars just doesn't even feel remotely relevant anymore TBH.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Based on what we know of SuperBot basically having no negotiating power and no funding to make Playstation All-Stars, I don't think it's particularly relevant Crash didn't make it in considering how much that team basically got bullied by every developer they worked with. Sakurai has a massive amount of clout in the industry, Nintendo is very willing to bank roll content for Smash, and Activision is also much more interested in relaunching Crash as a proper IP than they were 8 years ago.

That doesn't guarantee Crash mind you, but All-Stars just doesn't even feel remotely relevant anymore TBH.
For what it's worth, there isn't enough time or room to fit in every company's character for this time (if Sak continues to reiterate that Fighters Pass 2 is the final one, which he most likely will). Even Grasshopper's Suda could only receive a Mii costume for Travis despite him being on friendly terms with Sakurai.

But yeah, PSASBR is like comparing apples to oranges. The whole thing fell before it got a chance to even leave the nest.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Moreover, given Smash Ultimate will likely be a prominent game for many more years to come, the spotlight on Crash would be one that lasts for some time, far longer than All Stars or even certain older Smash games would have had.

Last edited:
Top Bottom