• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Naigumi

Smash Cadet
Yeah, unless you're Rayman.
Or DK. :/

I hope everyone's been steering clear of spoilers, I've already seen a full playthrough in my youtude recommends.
I'm avoiding Youtube completely because i'm sure there's spoilers everywhere (you know, by that guy who always put all the bosses in the thumbnail of his videos and it ALWAYS appears in my recommends...)
I know everbody is hyped for the game but come on, at least don't put spoilers in thumbnails or in the video titles...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Apparently, Crash 4 cutscenes have been posted on YT already, so you lot might want to black that out for a bit.

Even if Crash Bandicoot doesn't get announced tomorrow, I can definitely see a scenario where he gets revealed along side a Switch port of "Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time" sometime next year which also just happens to be the 25th anniversary of the franchise.

I know anniversaries don't really mean much for Smash, But couldn't hurt for it to be a possibility.
At the very least, Activision would plan for the timing to happen. Many news for Ultimate coincided with Crash ones, and that might be deliberate.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Happy 100 pages guys. Just 2 hours to go till we know who this new character is

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Here's to today! Lets hope our favorite bandicoot finally joins the roster to finally settle the 90s console rivalry with Mario and Sonic!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
40 minutes left. Sending out my final good luck vibes towards Crash.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I can see a possibility where Crash Bandicoot was suppose to be unveiled around E3 time, But just like everything else in the world it got delayed and probably Nintendo and Activision decided to announce Crash's Smash debut right around the same time "It's About Time" was gonna release.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Well, I was not really expecting Crash personally but regardless I still feel sad because he's not in.

Even if he might still appear in the future i'm honestly exausted of all this wait. It seems the trend now due to Covid is that character reveals will likely happen 6 months apart from each other, and even though I get it is a special circunstance It is still too exausting to wait all that time just for a slim chance to see your beloved character make it in, and then get inevitably disappointed after all that wait. It is things like this that makes me wish every dlc character was revealed beforehand.

Anyway, Minecraft definitely deserved the spot considering the influence and success of the franchise, and also it is yet another third party western character to make us have a bit of hope still, so there's that.

Last edited:

Rural_Juror

Smash Apprentice
After this morning I'm not so sure Crash will make it in. I just feel like since Minecraft is a western series and Smash adds so few western things, that was kind of it.

I'd love to be wrong but my hopes are down.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
After this morning I'm not so sure Crash will make it in. I just feel like since Minecraft is a western series and Smash adds so few western things, that was kind of it.

I'd love to be wrong but my hopes are down.
I mean at least Steve is coming from a Western company they've already worked with in this game for a character; it'd be a different story if they got like Doomguy or someone instead as a NEW Western company co-production.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Damn...

Really thought for a second Crash Bandicoot was gonna show up when they showed Mario vs Sonic fighting right before the reveal trailer.

Looks like we'll have to wait a little more longer.
Those were my first thoughts upon seeing that early part of the trailer, too! Oh well, hope still remains for Crash and with 4 more fighters, the odds on another big pick such as Crash are good

Well, I was not really expecting Crash personally but regardless I still feel sad because he's not in.

Even if he might still appear in the future i'm honestly exausted of all this wait. It seems the trend now due to Covid is that character reveals will likely happen 6 months apart from each other, and even though I get it is a special circunstance It is still too exausting to wait all that time just for a slim chance to see your beloved character make it in, and then get inevitably disappointed after all that wait. It is things like this that makes me wish every dlc character was revealed beforehand.

Anyway, Minecraft definitely deserved the spot considering the influence and success of the franchise, and also it is yet another third party western character to make us have a bit of hope still, so there's that.
Hopefully things will be picking up from here. To stick to their Dec 2021 deadline, they have to have 3-4 months between reveals, which is a reasonable timeframe. Additionally, Covid likely screwed with Min Min's development, and Steve took a long time because they had to go back and edit every stage so his blocks would work. We could see our next fighters a little sooner, provided they aren't this big of a workload.

Come to think of it, Steve's blocks could pave the way for Crash using crates.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Some people got Crash 4 a day in advance, so I'm bailing out of the thread until I get the game.

We could see our next fighters a little sooner, provided they aren't this big of a workload.

Come to think of it, Steve's blocks could pave the way for Crash using crates.
Seems like a given. The previous pass went by quicker as each fighter got released. At the least, I expect to hear of the next one somewhere around December.

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Looks like Activision asked Matt Stonie (A Food eating contest contender on YouTube.) to advise Crash 4, by having a wumpa eating competition with the Crash mascot!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Looks like Activision asked Matt Stonie (A Food eating contest contender on YouTube.) to advise Crash 4, by having a wumpa eating competition with the Crash mascot!

Big fan of Matt Stonie's videos, Dudes a machine, So it was really cool to see him face off against Crash Bandicoot on a Wumpa eating contest, I also love how he called Crash "Legendary Video Game Icon", I know it's an obvious answer, But it's always nice to hear it.

He also made a Smash reference in another one of his videos with the new challenger splash screen, So clearly he's a big fan of both Crash and Smash.

Couldn't hurt for him to put in a good word from the fans to Activision about pushing him for Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can't believe that Uka Uka is ****ing dead (or at least stuck in a coma for the next few million years.

Really interested in finding out where the next mainline game goes from here, assuming that the rumored 2021 game will be a continuity-free spin-off.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Crash 4 is hard... I avoided this thread and unfollowed the official twitter so I could stop spoilers and I'm liking it so far. The game doesn't hold back with its difficulty, especially if you're trying not to die more than 3 times.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Crash 4 is hard... I avoided this thread and unfollowed the official twitter so I could stop spoilers and I'm liking it so far. The game doesn't hold back with its difficulty, especially if you're trying not to die more than 3 times.
Not gonna lie, it definitely has Donkey Kong Country Returns vibes in this regard. I'm doing a straight run without focusing on gems much and it handed my behind on a silver platter (especially in 'Akano's segments in Tranquility Falls).

Last edited:

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
IAT is quite possibly the most difficult Crash game to date. Toys For Bob didn't hold back at all. Even beating the game is a challenge because of that last world. I must have died more than 50 times on one of the levels in it. I have no idea how anyone is supposed to get less than 4 deaths on it.
I can already feel Caddicarus' pain as he attempts to 100% this game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Give him the jetpack. Why does nearly every 3rd Party Platformer character have some sort of springy UpB?

Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Banjo & Kazooie

Is this all people can come up with for these types?

EDIT: The dimensional rail grind would be awesome as an Up B

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Give him the jetpack. Why does nearly every 3rd Party Platformer character have some sort of springy UpB?

Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Banjo & Kazooie

Is this all people can come up with for these types?

EDIT: The dimensional rail grind would be awesome as an Up B
For Crash it’s alot more interesting because it stays there after it’s made and you can place crates on the arrow crate to bounce other crate types on the arrow creating a dangerous wall. Also imagine having 3 arrow crates out at once.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I hate to be that person, But did anyone see the tweet that Sakurai made a couple of days ago?

He said: "It's About Time"

While I know it's common phrase that people use and it feels like a bait for Crash Bandicoot fans seeing how his new game came out yesterday, He likely meant it for a new fighter reveal, But it just felt like an odd choice of words and hopefully it's a playful tease of what's to potentially come later in the fighter pass.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
For Crash it’s alot more interesting because it stays there after it’s made and you can place crates on the arrow crate to bounce other crate types on the arrow creating a dangerous wall. Also imagine having 3 arrow crates out at once.
Pac's stays there after it's made. And we're dealing with hypotheticals atm so how do you know he'll be using crates at all?

EDIT: Sonic's and Mega Man's can be used by others too. Banjo's the only one who won't let others use it.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Don't look too much into it, common phrases shouldn't be associated with recent releases.

That's a common trap for smash fans who assume it's everything about smash.
While I agree with what you said, I never look into Sakurai's clues, But this is the 1st one that kind of made me go "Hmm.." I just find it a funny choice of words he said right when Crash's new game with that subtitle was gonna release in less than 24 hours.

I don't want to look into too much, But I feel like this holds more weight than the stupid chair or background theory during the directs that felt like a really far reach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom