• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Something I thought about while showering today:

In the It's About Time trailer, there's this exchange at the end:

"How many times have you defeated this guy?"
"Three?"
"Hmmm, I thought it'd be more than that,"

While it could just be a silly gag, I find it odd that they're willing to take a potshot at post-Naughty Dog Crash games while simultaneously using said games' characters (Crunch Bandicoot, N. Trance, Chick and Stew, etc) in Nitro Fueled.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So hey...I just had a concept for a Classic Mode where Crash faces fighters in different time periods (which is probably something Lucina should've had). Something like this:

Round 1: :ultlucina::ultyounglink: (free-for-all) on :castlesiege: (Toad Village / Gee Wiz / Double Header)
Round 2: :ultincineroar: (Stamina Battle, 100HP) on Coliseum Omega (Tiny Tiger - Crash Bandicoot WARPED)
Round 3: :ultwario:x6 (horde battle) on Mario Circuit (Hog Ride)
Round 4: :ultdk::ultdiddy: on :spearpillar: (Road to Ruin / Ruination)
Round 5: Giant :ultrob: on :porttown: (Future Frenzy / Gone Tomorrow)
Round 6: :ultmario::ultsonic::ultcloud: (free-for-all) on Midgar (The Time Twister - Crash Bandicoot WARPED)
Final Round: Master Hand and Crazy Hand (team battle w/:ultmario::ultsonic::ultcloud:) (Dr. Neo Cortex - Crash Bandicoot WARPED)

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
So hey...I just had a concept for a Classic Mode where Crash faces fighters in different time periods (which is probably something Lucina should've had). Something like this:

Round 1: :ultlucina::ultyounglink:(free-for-all) on :castlesiege: (Toad Village / Gee Wiz / Double Header)
Round 2: :ultincineroar: (Stamina Battle, 100HP) on Coliseum Omega (Tiny Tiger - Crash Bandicoot WARPED)
Round 3: :ultwario:x6 (horde battle) on Mario Circuit (Hog Ride)
Round 4: :ultdk::ultdiddy:on :spearpillar: (Road to Ruin / Ruination)
Round 5: Giant :ultrob:on :porttown: (Future Frenzy / Gone Tomorrow)
Round 6: :ultmario::ultsonic::ultcloud: (free-for-all) on Midgar (The Time Twister - Crash Bandicoot WARPED)
Final Round: Master Hand and Crazy Hand (team battle w/:ultmario::ultsonic::ultcloud:) (Dr. Neo Cortex - Crash Bandicoot WARPED)
Hey I really like this idea. I always thought a Crash classic mode would revolve around gaming icons, but this is cool because it represents his actual franchise. I would be totally down to see something like this!

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Just curious; Yoko Shimomura is one of my absolute favorite composers of all time. What Crash Bandicoot song(s) would be best suited for a remix in her style?
I feel like she could do something good with a boss theme, like N. Tropy's, or any of Cortex's. They seem like they would have a more grand theme, and I've always wondered what their themes would sound like with a different style.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I must ask. Is anyone else sick and tired of people claiming we need to have Spyro get included alongside Crash? Yes, I get their franchises are incredibly similar and whatever happens to Crash will most likely always happen to Spyro, but Smash is a different story. Crash is easily more iconic then Spyro is, Crash has been seen as more of a PS1 icon then Spyro is, and I really don't think Activision will get two reps in one Pass. I do think Spyro will get a Mii hat and maybe even a Spirit Event, but as for getting in alongside Crash as an actual character? Most likely not.

Don't get me wrong, I like Spyro, but he doesn't need to get in Smash alongside Crash just to keep the pattern going.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I must ask. Is anyone else sick and tired of people claiming we need to have Spyro get included alongside Crash? Yes, I get their franchises are incredibly similar and whatever happens to Crash will most likely always happen to Spyro, but Smash is a different story. Crash is easily more iconic then Spyro is, Crash has been seen as more of a PS1 icon then Spyro is, and I really don't think Activision will get two reps in one Pass. I do think Spyro will get a Mii hat and maybe even a Spirit Event, but as for getting in alongside Crash as an actual character? Most likely not.

Don't get me wrong, I like Spyro, but he doesn't need to get in Smash alongside Crash just to keep the pattern going.
I never got why people do that. They aren't co-dependent on one another. Heck, they barely even crossover properly!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I like Spyro and all and if it were up to me I would put him in Smash

But...Crash Bandicoot is pretty damn big name that is more than capable of holding his own, If anything Spyro "Probably" needs Crash more than Crash needs Spyro, Spyro's 1st game was available as a demo in "Warped" and he was a guest character in CTR: Nitro Fueled, Ever since the PS1 Spyro has always played second fiddle to Crash.

It's been said countless times before, Chances are we are only going to get 1 of them in this season pass, It's very unlikely we get 2 of them, So Nintendo and Activision are going to go with the biggest character/franchise of the 2 and that's Crash Bandicoot.

I'm not trying to throw Spyro under the bus, But I am trying to be realistic about the situation, It is what it is.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
I like Spyro and all and if it were up to me I would put him in Smash

But...Crash Bandicoot is pretty damn big name that is more than capable of holding his own, If anything Spyro "Probably" needs Crash more than Crash needs Spyro, Spyro's 1st game was available as a demo in "Warped" and he was a guest character in CTR: Nitro Fueled, Ever since the PS1 Spyro has always played second fiddle to Crash.

It's been said countless times before, Chances are we are only going to get 1 of them in this season pass, It's very unlikely we get 2 of them, So Nintendo and Activision are going to go with the biggest character/franchise of the 2 and that's Crash Bandicoot.

I'm not trying to throw Spyro under the bus, But I am trying to be realistic about the situation, It is what it is.
This. I don't mean to come off as a d*** or anything, but if people are predicting Spyro over Crash, then to me, it comes off as bias. If their is anyone out of the two that have the better chance AND is the most deserving, it is easily Crash, no questions about it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This. I don't mean to come off as a d*** or anything, but if people are predicting Spyro over Crash, then to me, it comes off as bias. If their is anyone out of the two that have the better chance AND is the most deserving, it is easily Crash, no questions about it.
I'm a Spyro supporter and I want Spyro more than Crash and I agree with this. It would feel wrong if Spyro got in before Crash. It would be like if Link got in over Mario if that makes any sense.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given that both Crash and Spyro are owned by Activision, chances are Spyro would at least be a stage cameo/stage assist or hazard to come along with Crash.

TexasToast

Smash Rookie
Crash Bandicoot Crashes the Party!

Welcome to the official Crash for Smash support thread! This thread will serve as the home base for all of those who would like to see this iconic video game legend make a playable appearance in Super Smash Bros. That being said, let's take care of a few things.

Who is Crash Bandicoot?

Naturally, there may be some folks who are unfamiliar with Crash. Granted, I don't think he's an obscure character by any means (far from it), but hey, what's the harm in explaining, right?

Crash Bandicoot is the main protagonist of the Crash Bandicoot series of games. The first game was released for the PlayStation in 1996, and since then, his series has garnered worldwide acclaim and has sold over fifty million copies. That puts the series on par with titans like the Donkey Kong and Tomb Raider franchises, and surpasses Metal Gear, Street Fighter, and Smash itself.

In the games, Crash was the result of an experiment gone awry. When attempting to transmogrify local wildlife to create his own personal army, the evil Dr. Neo Cortex gave a previously normal bandicoot immense stamina, athleticism, and durability, far beyond the levels a normal bandicoot should reach, but failed to create a soldier obedient or sane enough to follow orders. As such, Crash proved unruly and escaped from Cortex's lab, to this day thwarting whatever scheme the mad doctor comes up with.

Why should Crash join Smash?

Quite simply, Crash is a gaming icon. Not to mention, his zany style would fit Smash perfectly. Add in the fact that Mario, Sonic, and Crash had a bit of a three way rivalry in the 90s (Mario for Nintendo, Sonic for Sega, and Crash for Sony), and Smash would be the perfect opportunity for all three to settle the score.

But wait, you say, isn't Crash much more of a Sony character? Well, so were Snake and Cloud. What matters is that Crash has appeared on Nintendo consoles, and lo and behold, he has. There were a handful of Crash games on the GBA and GameCube, to name a few.

Some may also say that the fact that Crash is owned by a western developer may be a hindrance. That's partially true in the sense that the only western created character in Smash (Diddy Kong) is wholly owned by Nintendo, but just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it never will. In fact, Crash has quite a bit of notability in Japan. His second game was actually the first western game to sell one million copies in Japan. As well, the original games were heavily promoted in Japan. If any western owned character were to make the jump into Smash, Crash Bandicoot would be toward the top of the list.

As well, there are rumors that Crash Bandicoot: N. Sane Trilogy will only be a timed exclusive for the PlayStation 4. Take this with a grain of salt, of course, since this is only going based off of the box art not including the "Only on PlayStation" tag line, but the box art may not be final. While it's true that Sony owns the rights to the original games, whether or not that would apply to the remasters is more ambiguous. If the N. Sane Trilogy were to somehow end up on the Switch, I'd say it would do wonders for Crash's Smash chances. Once again though, this is only going off of a rumor, so don't take this as fact.

What would Crash be like in Smash?

Crash's fighting style would be, well, insane. An unhinged, crazed brawler, Crash would fight as if he came straight out of a Looney Tunes cartoon. Iconic attacks like his belly flop would be incorporated into his normals, and most of the rest would be filled in with twirls, kicks, and punches. Appearance-wise, Aku-Aku would float closely behind Crash as he fights, and may also pitch in to help in some of Crash's normals. Mostly though, he's just there aesthetically.

Here are my ideas for Crash's special moves. Feel free to take a look!
Crash's Neutral Special would be his Spin. While this seems pretty basic for a special move, the Spin is quite a utility. For one, the move has little to no starting lag; it's incredibly quick, making it easy to get out of tough spots. It also has a pull effect, making enemies and items move closer to Crash if they're within range. This comes in handy when combined with Crash's Down Special.

Crash's Side Special is the Fruit Bazooka. Crash pulls out the aforementioned firearm and takes aim, but he cannot move when aiming. A reticle appears on the screen when he's in aiming stance, allowing him to more easily connect. If Side B is pressed again, Crash shoots out a fruit that does quite a bit of damage. Pressing anything other than Side B exits the aiming stance.

Crash's Up Special is the Arrow Crate. An Arrow Crate appears below Crash, giving him an additional jump. Simple, right? Kind of boring? What makes this move unique is that it can be used twice in the air as opposed to once, allowing Crash to have what is essentially three midair jumps which he can use at whatever point he wishes. Use this for mix ups and confuse foes about where you'll land.

Crash's Down Special is the Crate Drop. Crash pulls out one of four crates and places it in front of him. The four are normal crates, Metal Crates, TNT Crates, and the incredibly rare Nitro Crates. Metal Crates can't be broken under normal means, while normal crates can. TNT crates explode three seconds after they're touched, and Nitro Crates explode instantly if touched. However, if Crash uses his Neutral Special next to a crate, his spin picks it up and launches it forward. Normal Crates do normal damage, Metal Crates do heavy damage but low knockback, TNT crates do low damage but heavy knockback, and the rare Nitro Crates do high damage and high knockback, and are Crash's best kill move. Only one crate can be in play at a time.

Crash's Final Smash is Aku-Aku. Aku-Aku will come forth, go "Hoodaboogah," and allow Crash to don him as a mask, all while the Aku-Aku theme plays. While like this, Crash is invincible and can't take damage or knockback. However, he doesn't get a power boost in return for not taking damage, to balance it against current transformation Final Smashes. When the music ends, so too does the Final Smash.
New@Yomi's Biggest Fan

Thanks for tagging me, glad to see a new Crash thread. I played some of N Sane Trilogy at PAX East (Hang Eight). It was good. Like real good. It felt just like it did on the PSone, except it was not as stiff. Still awesome though

Also here is my moveset I made a while back, figured it would be a good place to drop it.

Crash Goes For A Spin!

Stats
Weight: 5/10 (weighs around Sonic's weight, a bit on the lighter side of a mid weight)
Walk Speed: 6/10 (About Duck Hunt's walk speed)
Run Speed: 7/10 (A bit faster then DK)
Air Speed: 8/10 (Around Mario's)
Jump Height: 7/10 (Around Sonic's)
Fall Speed: 7/10 (Around Corrin's)
Size: A bit shorter than Fox
Crawl: Yes
Wall Jump: Yes
Wall Cling: No

Game Play Plan: Crazy Trapper
Crash is all about his insanity. His edgier, crazier game play is where his move set is taken into account. He has adequate cqc tools, and has a very solid keep away game.

Crash is not meant to be a character that rushes in. He does not have the buttons for that. He is instead meant to play the role of a mid range zoner, patiently waiting for his path to victory. By using his specials well, not only will a skilled Crash player survive longer, but they can put up a rather strong wall that helps them nab their opening to victory.

Crash plays best when he keeps his opponents on his toes, similar to a player in a Crash game. For most of a Crash game, you are not able to run in guns a blazing. You have to play a bit patiently, and wait for the right moment to proceed. He is easy to pick up, but truly harder to master, much like his classic games.

A Moves
Jab 1 - A simple karate chop diagonally in front of him (2%)
Jab 2 - Another karate chop in front of him (2%)
Jab 3 - A quick spin that knocks foes away, note that the jab links together, no multi hits, good quick get off me tool (3%)
F Tilt- Crash does a swing with his yo yo (7%)
Up Tilt- Crash does a quick flip with his jetboard, swiping above him (6%)
Down Tilt- Crash's signature slide kick, can be jumped out of at the end, essential poke for Crash, one of his only tools to close a distance (7%)
Dash Attack- Crash hops on a random animal (Hog, Polar, Pura), and slides forward, animal does not matter for damage (6%)
U Smash - Crash plays the didgeridoo, tilting it around (3 hits), with the final "note" killing (11-17 damage, assuming all hits connect )
F Smash - Crash has a boulder roll in front of him a short distance before it disappears, good at controlling space, but not a great kill move, goes about 2-3 the distance of mega man's f smash (12-18 %)
D Smash- Crash break dances (similar to Sonic's down taunt and sheik's down smash, but with more range to the movement) (10-15%)
N air- Crash does a brief twirl in the air, similar to Pac Man or Villagers, but quicker (5%)
F air- Crash chops in front of him, similar to Luigi's fair (6%)
B air - Crash boosts away from the opponent with the Jet Pack from Crash 2. Works similar to Corrin's bair in which it aids in recovery, and helps his spacing,and is one of Crash's better kill moves (9%)
U Air-Crash plays his didgeridoo, swinging it around quickly (think Ike's up air) 8 %
Down Air- Crash uses his famous body slam, can be buffered as a smash attack. Meteor smashes if hit under crash and not the sides (12-15% depending on smashed)

Grabs and Throws
Grab- crash grabs the opponent with both hands
Pummel-Crash headbutts the opponent, a bit slower than most pummels(3%)
F throw- Crash Spins the opponent away (7%)
B throw- similar to f throw (7%) this makes for good mix ups on that part
U throw- Crash throws them upward and fires a wumpa shot at them, this is Crash's best kill throw (10%)
D throw- Crash throws an opponent down and body slams them, decent for combos at low percent (6%)

B Moves
Neutral B- Wumpa Bazooka

This move fires shots of Wumpa fruit, each dealing 5% damage with a small amount of hit stun. Crash can fire one out of a short hop. This move allows Crash to force approaches, and is a rather powerful spacing tool. It only goes a little more than 1/2 of final destination, so it is not the best form of projectile camping in the game It mainly functions to net Crash some space, and grant him a tool to harass opponents.
By having this tool in his default moveset Crash is able to effectively force opponents to weave through his traps. Traps are nothing if the opponent never has to approach, after all.

Side B- The Spin
By far Crash's most iconic move. If the button is tapped, Crash will just do a brief spin forward that deals 7%, and is probably one of Crash's best pokes and can even be used as a cross up aerial move. If the button is held, the move will do a total of 11%, and allows Crash to hover while in use, and is a multi hit unlike its tapped version. Does not put crash into free fall. Can be angled while in use if held.

Up B- TNT Hop
Crash hops on a TNT crate, which falls. The move has super armor on start up until crash gets off the crate, so it has limited armor frames. The crate will be destructive if a player hits it while it counts down. The explosion from the crate can damage Crash if he is not careful, and deals a solid 12% with good knock back. Think of it as a much more offensive Spring or Rush coil without as much range. This makes Crash have more of a mediocre recovery if his Spin is intercepted and he is not smart with this move. Much like the games, the crate remains for three seconds, until it explodes. It can explode prematurely if opposing hits are made, be it by an opponent or crash.
Crash's TNT Hop is meant to be used in neutral as a last ditch escape option if needed, similar to Sonic's spring. However, the kicker is that it is a very potent explosion as well. Crash can use the TNT crate as another tool for stage control, allowing him to get some breathing room and put a dangerous obstacle in his foes path.

Down B- Nitro Crate
Crash lays down a Nitro crate, which damages an opponent for 9% if touched. Crash can lay down up to 2 Nitro Crates, and can not lay down any more. Nitro Crates can chain their explosions like in games, allowing for some kill setups and stage control. The trick for this move is to simply put try to control space with it, much like what nitros do in Crash.
Nitros can be destroyed by strong enough projectiles or physical contact. However, Nitros are still strong due to the fact that oftentimes, they force opponents into the air to dodge them. This allows Crash to snipe at them with his bazooka, and possibly force a bad landing. Nitro at the edge is a really strong ledge control tool, as it can be used with two nitros to cover roll, standing get up, and attack.

Final Smash- Aku Aku
Aku Aku goes onto Crash's face, giving him a huge movement and power boost. He is also immune to knock back, but is not immune to damage. Similar to Giga Mac, Giga Bowser, or Mega Lucario.
Misc. Stuff
Taunt 1 - Crash does his signature dance
Taunt 2- Crash does his death spin he does on death in Crash 1
Taunt 3- Crash turns to the screen over his shoulder and raises his eyebrows, like before he jumps on Polar

On Screen Appearance- Crash jumps out of a warp from Crash 2-3

Victory 1- Crash's Iconic dance
Victory 2- Crash throws up a gem, crystal, and relic, which all fly up to his amusement
Victory 3- Crash hops onto his motorcycle, and rides off

Victory Fanfare- I tend to imagine the victory fanfare would be a few beats from the Crash 3 Warped main theme. It seems at this point that theme has become the standard theme for the series, so I feel it would be good.

Trivia about Crash
When hit by strong attacks, X marks can be seen in his eyes like he is crushed
Sometimes on death, his angel or shoes appear in local play (non 8 player to prevent lag)
This move set was designed to reference Crash levels as well as his abilities
What about a stage?

Crash's home stage would be N. Sanity Beach, a recurring location in the series, as well as the first level of the first Crash Bandicoot game. This is a three part touring stage taking players across the level. Players start on the beach itself and are there for the longest amount of time. There is no real gimmick here, though the stage is a walk off. After a while, a platform rises out of the sand and the players are brought to the jungle portion. Here, every now and then, a crab will appear and hurt the players, though it can be dispatched with ease. The third portion takes the players from the jungle to the ruins using the platform once more. Here, there is much more verticality. Stone platforms appear all throughout the stage, mixing up the fight a bit. After a while, the platform returns the players back to the beach for the cycle to start anew.

Conclusion

So with that, I hope you choose to support Crash Bandicoot for Smash. I truly believe he's a character choice many people tend to sleep on, as far as odds go. I look forward to discussing our favorite orange marsupial and his Smashing possibilities with all of you.

Supporters:
  1. Opossum
  2. Planet Zeb(es)~
  3. Schnee117
  4. Yomi's Biggest Fan
  5. Oasis Dealer
  6. TCT~Phantom
  7. Xeno VII
  8. Guybrush20X6
  9. Mario & Sonic Guy
  10. Freduardo
  11. MatgSy
  12. ryuu seika
  13. BirthNote
  14. Xeno610
  15. Nu~
  16. nirvanafan
  17. smashkirby
  18. PsychoJosh
  19. Ben Holt
  20. Kirbeh
  21. n8han11
  22. Mrrgle
  23. Zem-raj
  24. FunAtParties
  25. Sir Gengar de Ectoplasma
  26. AustarusIV
  27. Wario Wario Wario
  28. Crap-Zapper
  29. CrusherMania1592
  30. Lukingodex
  31. Lampy
  32. KeybladeSmasher
  33. -Master-
  34. ~ Valkyrie ~
  35. Megadoomer
  36. Darkraid
  37. SmashingDoug
  38. Altais
  39. pupNapoleon
  40. Rosalina suporter
  41. Tonydrake
  42. Geno Boost
  43. Sir Ridley XII
  44. Z25
  45. Hypercat-Z
  46. skylanders fan
  47. WaddleKing
  48. Graizen
  49. The Animator
  50. Sponge
  51. DNeon
  52. BlazGreen
  53. Zeox
  54. ZRoy
  55. Ghirahilda
  56. LunarDistortion
  57. Big-Cat
  58. Johnknight1
  59. Dirty Duck
  60. Aetheri
  61. Robertman2
  62. TheAnvil
  63. Ura
  64. Drclaw411
  65. Morbi
  66. Yokta
  67. 8-peacock-8
  68. Kevandre
  69. Aurora Jenny
  70. smashoperatingbuddy123
  71. Jave
  72. WhiteEaglePL
  73. Ascended
  74. Brother AJ
  75. SonicSmasher1
  76. CyberWolfJV TheGuy07
  77. StupendousMike
  78. PrinceGal3n
  79. MasterWarlord
  80. SonicMario
  81. SchAlternate
  82. ErenJager
  83. WonderOne
  84. Nintenzilla *Reboot*
  85. Godzillathewonderdog
  86. TooBadWaluigiTime
  87. Tord the Red Leader
  88. Sean Wheeler
  89. Sheng Long
  90. Staarih
  91. FlareHabanero
  92. Llort A. Ton
  93. MoonlitIllusion
  94. SegaGameBoy
  95. TMNTSSB4
  96. ThoughtfulWanderer
  97. Shyy_Guy595
  98. Questionmark222
  99. Blips
  100. Ed-boy
  101. Groomer
  102. schavira
  103. smash puffle
  104. Gemini-Gene
  105. ShinyLegendary
  106. Door Key Pig
  107. Nintendotard
  108. karl childers
  109. GravelerChamp60
  110. Isaac: Venus Adept
  111. Red Hood
  112. Pakky
  113. Lucas Storey
  114. Kirbyworshipper2465
  115. KMDP
  116. BluePikmin11
  117. SuperJumpmon64
  118. DaUsername
  119. mynameisBlade
  120. SmashNStache
  121. PatPrime
  122. Perkilator
  123. Enigma735
  124. Handy Man
Having Crash in with Mario Sonic would be a dream come true. I just want my favorite Marsupial.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I want both Crash and Spyro, but I agree. They're different characters from different franchises. In an ideal world we'd get both, but you can have one without the other. We're more likely to just get one

D

Deleted member

I've seen one person say if Crash got in he would need to have a Spyro spirit on his spirit board or a Spyro inspired color palette. Yeah, the franchises are like brother and sister, but they're still different franchises. Crash doesn't NEED Spyro content to come with him outside of something as little as a Mii hat. That's it. Mii hat? Sure. But a Spyro spirit on a Crash spirit board? Sorry. I just don't see it.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I've seen one person say if Crash got in he would need to have a Spyro spirit on his spirit board or a Spyro inspired color palette. Yeah, the franchises are like brother and sister, but they're still different franchises. Crash doesn't NEED Spyro content to come with him outside of something as little as a Mii hat. That's it. Mii hat? Sure. But a Spyro spirit on a Crash spirit board? Sorry. I just don't see it.
I agree wholeheartedly. Saying that Crash needs to have Spyro in some forms would basicaly say that his series is not enough by itself, and would take away some of his individuality. Crash and Spyro by themselves have more than enough content on their own for a fighter pack.

D

Deleted member

no, because I've literally never heard anyone say this

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I don't really know anything about Terry's history, but his spirit board has characters from other series, which I assume have some sort of close relation to him. Considering Crash and Spyro's relation, I don't see why it would be impossible for Spyro to appear as a spirit in Crash's spirit board.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I mean the same could be said for Conker and Banjo and we didn't get anything Conker with Banjo's fighter pass, despite them being closely tied to each other, granted not to the extent of Crash and Spyro but especially when dealing with a big Western company, I could see them just trying to focus on one IP and not pay to license multiple.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't really know anything about Terry's history, but his spirit board has characters from other series, which I assume have some sort of close relation to him. Considering Crash and Spyro's relation, I don't see why it would be impossible for Spyro to appear as a spirit in Crash's spirit board.
That seems to be a result of Terry representing both Fatal Fury and the King of Fighters. The King of Fighters is basically SNK's version of Super Smash Bros. (or rather, Smash Bros. is Nintendo's version of the King of Fighters, since KOF came first), and most (if not all) of those characters from other series were playable in King of Fighters at some point.

The only exception that comes to mind is Haohmaru (who was playable in Capcom vs. SNK games, but I don't think he was playable in the King of Fighters), so that's a sign that they can stretch it a bit.

a random user

Smash Journeyman

I want to see both in, and crash would definitely be in before spyro. While both their trilogies were good in the west, with fans looking back with nostalgia, in japan crash is loved while the spyro 1&2 ports are infamously bad, with sales so bad the 3rd game never even released, so japan sees spyro as far less important. the trilogy remake was good in japan, but its release was to late. I doubt spyro got many votes in japan from the ballot

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I see the "if X gets in, then of course Y has to as well!" way too often when it comes to the pass fighters. I think the best/logical answer to this weird thing is the fact that there are a lot of people who somehow prefer quantity over quality. It kinda reminds me of Brawl/Sm4sh modpacks, where every single alternate for a character is swapped for an entire different character. Cool to see? Sure. Actually fun? Not really.

Similarly, this also is a common on theme for Echo fighters as possible part of the pass. There really isn't a need for any of the dlc fighters to come with an echo (of themselves or another character), because it diverts attention off the dlc fighter. It also makes their moveset a little less exciting, because they already have a clone fighter. Smash doesn't need Tekken levels of clone fighters, no offense.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I just hope some Spyro fans don't take it the wrong way, It's just the reality of the situation and what is to be the expected outcome of all this.

Unfortunately I went through the same thing regarding Banjo-Kazooie and Conker who both share a somewhat similar situation.

I'm fan of both franchises, (More so Banjo-Kazooie), But chances are if you ask most fans "What is Rare's biggest classic IP?" The answer would be Banjo-Kazooie and "Who is their most likely candidate for Smash?" Again Banjo-Kazooie.

Not all of them, But "Some" fans on the "Conker" thread who were sometimes jealous of Banjo-Kazooie getting into Super Smash Bros Ultimate and constantly tried to have a "Pissing Match" when comparing both franchises and always came up with every little nitpick reason to say Conker is on the same status level of Banjo-Kazooie some even going as far as to say more so if you can actually believe it, Some that I heard just made me want to face palm ("Conker is ever more slightly front and center on the cover of Rare Replay, Therefore he's the face of Rare"). Seriously?

I got into a couple of minor arguments between the 2 on both Banjo-Kazooie and Conker threads, (Even seen some as a bystander) and had to constantly reiterate that I'm a fan of the series, But anytime I bring up sales, impact and the chances of him getting into Smash, Some took it as insult and didn't want to accept the actual status and facts of their franchise.

In the end it really turned me off from getting more involved with the Conker thread, I love Conker and all things Rare and would love for him to join Smash, But I'm also realistic about characters I advocate for. Anyone who thinks he's on the same level of Banjo-Kazooie or more so is absolutely out of their mind and in denial.

I'm not trying to put Banjo-Kazooie in this elite status, It's a dead franchise who's last game was in 2008 and it took a lot to get them into Smash, But aside from Donkey Kong who's under Nintendo, Banjo-Kazooie is without a doubt Rare's biggest and most popular franchise from their classic IP lineup who made the most sense and had the best chance of getting into Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Based on my personal experience so far a lot of fans of Spyro have been good sports and already accepted the fact that Crash Bandicoot's is the most likeliest candidate and likely of being the only rep from Activision if they do so happen to be involved with Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At least Spyro is expected to get his turn to have a new game sooner or later. Even when he's not getting a game, he's still getting cool stuff in compensation (his own Nitro-Fueled GP, and now the RT art book, which is obviously made with love), so it's not like he's getting lip service.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If not a Spirit at the very least.
You know, that makes me curious: what would Crash's Spirit Board look like. realistically? Here's one I made just for fun:

-Coco Bandicoot (:starman::starman:)
-Tawna Bandicoot (:starman:)
-Papu Papu (:starman:)
-Ripper Roo (:starman::starman:) -> Ripper Roo (Cortex Strikes Back) (:starman::starman::starman:)
-Koala Kong (:starman::starman:)
-Pinstripe Potoroo (:starman::starman:)
-Dr. Nitrus Brio (:starman::starman::starman:) -> ?!? (:starman::starman::starman::starman:)
-Komodo Bros. (:starman::starman:)
-Tiny Tiger (:starman:) -> Tiny Tiger (WARPED) (:starman::starman:)
-Dingodile (:starman::starman::starman:)
-Dr. Nefarious Tropy (:starman::starman::starman:)
-Dr. N. Gin (:starman::starman::starman:) -> N. Gin's Battle Mech (:starman::starman::starman::starman:)
-Aku Aku (:starman::starman::starman:)
-Uka Uka (:starman::starman::starman:)
-Dr. Neo Cortex (:starman::starman::starman::starman:)
-Spyro the Dragon (:starman::starman::starman::starman:)

Last edited:

Jurae818

Smash Journeyman
Hello to everyone in this thread. As someone who leaned towards Spyro the Dragon but had an equal exposure and playtime towards Crash Bandicoot, I've been anticipating his inclusion into Smash Bros. in the last year or so and expected him to appear in the first fighter's pass. If Smash is going to push this notion that it's now a celebration of video games and with Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion after how many years, what would be a better way to make true to that claim than to get one of the biggest names in video games at what I consider to be its golden age.

Looking at Sonic and his rocky situation at the time and the years leading up to Crash coming back with the N-Sane Trilogy, I only now realized how big Crash was and still is to an extent. Not only did he rival Mario and surpass Sonic, he also had a massive presence in Japan, the home country where Smash takes most of its cues from. The iconic Crash Dance was conceived by a Japanese ad, later added in Crash 2 onward.

Though he wasn't owned by Sony, he was more or less the unofficial mascot of the Playstation and for good reason. His classic design had cues suggested by Sony Japan according to Andy Gavin's blog, a great read overall. Basically, Crash had a presence and appeal not only to the west but the east. If there was any character that could sell the pass, it's definitely Crash Bandicoot. With that said, there are some people who may think otherwise with a few points against his inclusion.

-Activision won't want to play ball with Nintendo
Activision if I remember came to Nintendo to do the collaboration with Skylanders on the Wii U with Donkey Kong and Bowser joining the roster with exclusive amiibo. This was also when Crash made an appearance for the first time in years.

Call me crazy, but this to me is proof that not only is Crash a likely pick, crossovers like this set a precedent for Activision to consider having Crash in Smash. And consider that Skylanders was more of a Spyro-related game, even starting as a Spyro game before realizing the overall concept was enough to sell on its own. Crash was just a featured guest.

-Japan uses a different design for Crash so it would alienate Japanese players
False. The boxarts did have a different design in Japan. But the in-game graphics did not change save for a few minuscule examples in the games not developed by Naughty Dog. Another fun fact, Fake Crash was based on a really off-model toy in Japan. Maybe he'll appear as an alt if Crash makes it in.

-Incineroar spins and is orange, he'd be a clone
Yes, someone said this. Four Marths are fine but forbid two reddish animals spin around.

-Misc. points (He's not relevant, he's ugly, muh cereal mascot)
You don't have to like him, but he's an iconic face of video games that still pulls numbers, positive press and as of Crash 4, is more relevant than ever, as if that really mattered if Banjo-Kazooie is anything to go by. Whatever slump Crash had means nothing, or Sonic '06 would have kept Sonic the Hedgehog out of Smash, and frankly, no Crash title is on par with Sonic '06 and I say this as a ND-Crash purist with little connection to the post-ND games. In hindsight, the stuff it tried is much needed in this minimalist era. Even the controversial design of tribal tattoo Crash stood the test of time in my opinion.

And on a personal note, Smash really needs to pull in more cartoon mascots and less realistic humanoids or at least try to balance out the humans and cartoony characters. Remember that beloved mascots like Mario, Sonic, Crash and Sam Toucan, Tony the Tiger and Lucky Leprechaun took cues from characters originating from Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, Walt Disney and many other cartoonists alike. Crash is literally the Tazmanian Devil in all but name and appearance. Mario was more recognizable than Mickey Mouse back in the 80's and 90's. Sonic is Felix the Cat with a confident pose and manner, never mind the western illustrations ramping up his coolness factor. Crash Bandicoot even started out as a game called Sonic's Ass.

In short, while I have many characters that I want and would pick over Crash, Crash himself is justified in jumping the line and receiving an invitation to the big boy's club for his long history and reach all over the world. If anyone deserves that envelope in their hands, it's Crash Bandicoot.

Sign me up, I stand with you guys.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Here's the question that should be asked: would you guys be okay with Crash being part of the latter half of the pass?

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Crash has enough of a legacy to justify his inclusion, not even mentioning his series has been revived and is currently booming. (At least here in the US) Let's just hope Sakurai/Nintendo & Activision have noticed the fan demand & the obvious money to be made & pull through for us.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Crash has enough of a legacy to justify his inclusion, not even mentioning his series has been revived and is currently booming. (At least here in the US) Let's just hope Sakurai/Nintendo & Activision have noticed the fan demand & the obvious money to be made & pull through for us.
Apart from Master Chief and Rayman, Crash is probably the go-to for a major 3rd party inclusion left

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Here's the question that should be asked: would you guys be okay with Crash being part of the latter half of the pass?
I don’t think it matters much when a character becomes playable. The “if” a character becomes playable is more important to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, duh. As nice as it would be, I don't necessarily expect him to show up too soon, since synergy rarely ever happens for Smash content reveals. At most, I'd see him as second-to-last, since someone who's experimental in gameplay and/or a rather overlooked piece of Nintendo history would likely be last.

Just hoping that other fans are willing to be patient.

I don’t think it matters much when a character becomes playable. The “if” a character becomes playable is more important to me.
Yeah, that's pretty much the main concern, that a character doesn't get included as playable for no stated or particular reason until next time, if even then.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey, so it's generally agreed on that the Bonus Tracks from Nitro-Fueled will be levels in Crash 4, right?

We saw a circus level (Koala Carnival/Neon Circus), a dinosaur level (Prehistoric Playground/Back N. Time), a spooky level (Nina's Nightmare), a Mad Max level (Rustland/Megamix Mania) and a space station with Gasmoxians (Gasmoxia/Drive-Thru Danger). All that's left is a stage based on Twilight Tour, Gingerbread Joyride and Spyro Circuit. My prediction is that based on Nina's mobile design and the appearance of a stage that's based on her racetrack, she'll be in the game, and if they have stages based on all their Bonus Tracks, Spyro will be in the game as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hey, so it's generally agreed on that the Bonus Tracks from Nitro-Fueled will be levels in Crash 4, right?

We saw a circus level (Koala Carnival/Neon Circus), a dinosaur level (Prehistoric Playground/Back N. Time), a spooky level (Nina's Nightmare), a Mad Max level (Rustland/Megamix Mania) and a space station with Gasmoxians (Gasmoxia/Drive-Thru Danger). All that's left is a stage based on Twilight Tour, Gingerbread Joyride and Spyro Circuit. My prediction is that based on Nina's mobile design and the appearance of a stage that's based on her racetrack, she'll be in the game, and if they have stages based on all their Bonus Tracks, Spyro will be in the game as well.
They already basically confirmed to Canadian Guy Eh that Spyro would show up: https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1275175215820156930

As for Gingerbread Joyride, I've always wondered about that track, since it has no basis on anything in the Crash universe. It felt like something you'd see in Zool, Ninja of the Nth Dimension rather than Crash.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Top Bottom