• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I think everyone forgets that Coco, while playing Identical to Crash in N.Sane and IAT, uses different moves. It would look kind of strange for Coco to do a belly flop or spin because she does a ground pound and a pirouette. Obviously, there's nothing saying she can't do the flop or spin, but I guess the best explanation would be if Luigi was a skin for Mario. It wouldn't look too weird, but it'd be really strange to see him use F.L.U.D.D. or Cappy in a taunt.

Edit: Honestly, that's why I believe Fake Crash would fit more as a skin for Crash and Coco as an echo. Fake has identical proportions to Crash. While we haven't seen his abilities outside of the Mirror boss fight in N-Tranced, I think he can do things like the spin. It's also more fitting because the Crash franchise already treats him as a bonus/mysterious character. Plus, if Crash uses Aku Aku somehow, it'd be very easy to give Fake Crash Uka Uka, akin to CTR or Crash Bash.

Last edited:

Eremurus

Smash Apprentice
Crash Bandicoot would be a great addition to Smash.

From the plethora of games, he definitely has a wide potential moveset, and would offer interesting character design. I do hope he gets eventually included.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a head's up, apparently this new game is confirmed to have some sort of microtransaction. Let's hope it's just cosmetics...

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think everyone forgets that Coco, while playing Identical to Crash in N.Sane and IAT, uses different moves. It would look kind of strange for Coco to do a belly flop or spin because she does a ground pound and a pirouette. Obviously, there's nothing saying she can't do the flop or spin, but I guess the best explanation would be if Luigi was a skin for Mario. It wouldn't look too weird, but it'd be really strange to see him use F.L.U.D.D. or Cappy in a taunt.

Edit: Honestly, that's why I believe Fake Crash would fit more as a skin for Crash and Coco as an echo. Fake has identical proportions to Crash. While we haven't seen his abilities outside of the Mirror boss fight in N-Tranced, I think he can do things like the spin. It's also more fitting because the Crash franchise already treats him as a bonus/mysterious character. Plus, if Crash uses Aku Aku somehow, it'd be very easy to give Fake Crash Uka Uka, akin to CTR or Crash Bash.
True, but isn't this new game saying they play 100% alike? and even if Crash belly flops, Coco still does the same effect but with a different animation..

She would fit better as as an echo but I think echos are very unlikely unless they are a bonus fighter or something, and since i really want her in I am hoping for her as an alt instead

zferolie

Smash Hero
Keep in mind, in-game coin rates in Nitro-Fueled were buffed up after a while. Let's just settle down.

Besides, the Wumpas themselves can be used for things besides getting lives this time around.
of course activision throws in microtrsnactions....

So the coin rate is a lot better now in CTR? maybe I'll try playing iut again to unlock everyone

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
True, but isn't this new game saying they play 100% alike? and even if Crash belly flops, Coco still does the same effect but with a different animation..

She would fit better as as an echo but I think echos are very unlikely unless they are a bonus fighter or something, and since i really want her in I am hoping for her as an alt instead
Yes, but that's how it was in N. Sane Trilogy as well. She's basically an animation clone, like how Luigi in Mario titles occasionally plays identically, but has his own animations. I don't see echoes happening at all for the dlc, so I think we're better off hoping Coco gets a mii or something.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yes, but that's how it was in N. Sane Trilogy as well. She's basically an animation clone, like how Luigi in Mario titles occasionally plays identically, but has his own animations. I don't see echoes happening at all for the dlc, so I think we're better off hoping Coco gets a mii or something.
Coco as a Mii would look weird lol

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Coco as a Mii would look weird lol
We've gotten some pretty strange Miis before, at least in Ultimate the Miis are less weird looking. Compare Heihachi's smash 4 mii to the one in the Ultimate trailer. Looks like a mascot costume.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I hope Coco doesn't become a Mii costume as they absolutely do nothing for me and I don't like playing as generic avatars with skins, I want to play as the actual character.They were perfectly fine for games like Wii Sports and Party, But they can get pretty annoying when they invade games like Smash and Mario Kart, Kind of wished that Nintendo would have just retired them all together after the Wii/Wii U era.

If we don't get her as an echo fighter or an alt than honestly I would much rather have Coco appear in the background of Crash's stage instead of a Mii costume.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Every time I remember the Switch version of Crash 4 will probably only come out in like a year or so after release I die a bit on the inside.

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I may be the only person who feels this way, but the miis are essentially consolation prizes to me, if the character I thought would get in gets one, I like to assume that the character was considered in some form at some point.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Every time I remember the Switch version of Crash 4 will probably only come out in like a year or so after release I die a bit on the inside.
I'm in the same boat, I currently only have a Switch at the moment.

I sold both my Playstation and Xbox about 2 years ago after only having both for about 2 years because while it's nice to have all 3 consoles, It can get really expensive to juggle all 3 and since I'm very picky with games and mainly play 1st Party exclusives they mostly gathered dust, Especially my Xbox and who has time to play all 3 these days? So I went back to the basics and just play my Switch now.

But part of me is debating if I should pick up either a Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X, I know for a fact that I won't buy both because of what happen last time, But I am at least considering one of them sometime within the next year or so.

I'm currently somewhat leaning towards the PS5 (Even though I don't really like the design), Sony has the advantage when it comes to exclusives, But I like the design of the Xbox more and I feel like if Microsoft comes out swinging with some good exclusives and reviving some old franchises then I can definitely see myself getting an Xbox series X over the PS5.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm in the same boat, I currently only have a Switch at the moment.

I sold both my Playstation and Xbox about 2 years ago after only having both for about 2 years because while it's nice to have all 3 consoles, It can get really expensive to juggle all 3 and since I'm very picky with games and mainly play 1st Party exclusives they mostly gathered dust, Especially my Xbox and who has time to play all 3 these days? So I went back to the basics and just play my Switch now.

But part of me is debating if I should pick up either a Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X, I know for a fact that I won't buy both because of what happen last time, But I am at least considering one of them sometime within the next year or so.

I'm currently somewhat leaning towards the PS5 (Even though I don't really like the design), Sony has the advantage when it comes to exclusives, But I like the design of the Xbox more and I feel like if Microsoft comes out swinging with some good exclusives and reviving some old franchises then I can definitely see myself getting an Xbox series X over the PS5.
Eh, I can't help you much there. The reasons I don't get Sony consoles are largely personal...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Eh, I can't help you much there. The reasons I don't get Sony consoles are largely personal...
Any particular reason why? Sorry if I'm being nosy, Just curious and like hearing people's opinions.

I personally grew up with Nintendo consoles as my first console was the N64 back in the late 90's, Mario, Pokemon and Donkey Kong were my origins and foundation as the gamer I am today and have had every game console and portable from Nintendo ever since including the NES and SNES Classic, Still waiting for that N64 Classic as it's my most anticipated from the Classic line if it does happen for obvious reasons.

Sony Playstation was pretty much the only other console that I was aware of at the time as Sega was pretty much on life support with the Dreamcast and while I was perfectly happy with my N64, Playstation had some games that were appealing to me mainly Crash Bandicoot and to a lesser extent Spyro the Dragon because platformers are my favourite genre, Outside of my Nintendo bubble, The PS1 is probably the next console that I have any nostalgia for mainly thanks to Crash and Spyro, Didn't own my first Sony console until the PSP when I was teen and the PS4 was my first home console from Sony too and a Playstation Classic.

Microsoft Xbox was always kind of "Alien" to me when I was a kid, I always thought it was a console for adults or teens/older kids, I would always associate cartoony mascots as the face and icons of brands, Nintendo (Mario/Pikachu/DK), Sony (Crash/Spyro/R&C), So anytime I went into the game section at a store and looked at the Nintendo games and to a much lesser extent Playstation, I would look at Xbox and say to myself "Where are the platformers?" "Who is the face of this brand?" and "This is only for much older kids and adults". Of course we all know that Halo and Master Chief is Microsoft's flagship franchise, But I was a 8 years old at the time I didn't know any better, I have the least amount of history with Xbox, Though I did own a 360 and a One temporarily and while Halo does look cool and I can see it's appeal, The main reason I got an Xbox was to play "Rare" games because of the history with Nintendo and while it didn't work out at first it looks like Microsoft in recent years is starting to actually revive some of those franchises (Killer Instinct, Rare Replay and Battletoads) and for me that is the big "X-Factor" (No pun intended) that will determine if I decide between an Xbox Series X or PS5.

I enjoy both Playstation and Xbox, But I will always mainly be a Nintendo gamer at my core.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I may be the only person who feels this way, but the miis are essentially consolation prizes to me, if the character I thought would get in gets one, I like to assume that the character was considered in some form at some point.
Never thought I'd come across someone who shared the same thoughts I did in regards to Mii Fighter costumes. I've always thought ATs and Mii Fighter costumes consisted of characters who were considered for Smash at some point as well.

Well, I guess Sakurai kind of implied that ATs were this in his design documents for Brawl anyways, so...

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Never thought I'd come across someone who shared the same thoughts I did in regards to Mii Fighter costumes. I've always thought ATs and Mii Fighter costumes consisted of characters who were considered for Smash at some point as well.

Well, I guess Sakurai kind of implied that ATs were this in his design documents for Brawl anyways, so...
It seems like the idea of them being consolation prizes became much stronger in Sm4sh and Ultimate, because I remember a majority of Brawl's assists being side characters, obscure characters and generic enemies.

Shovel Knight still hasn't gotten a swordfighter mii I'm so upset.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Any particular reason why? Sorry if I'm being nosy, Just curious and like hearing people's opinions.

I personally grew up with Nintendo consoles as my first console was the N64 back in the late 90's, Mario, Pokemon and Donkey Kong were my origins and foundation as the gamer I am today and have had every game console and portable from Nintendo ever since including the NES and SNES Classic, Still waiting for that N64 Classic as it's my most anticipated from the Classic line if it does happen for obvious reasons.

Sony Playstation was pretty much the only other console that I was aware of at the time as Sega was pretty much on life support with the Dreamcast and while I was perfectly happy with my N64, Playstation had some games that were appealing to me mainly Crash Bandicoot and to a lesser extent Spyro the Dragon because platformers are my favourite genre, Outside of my Nintendo bubble, The PS1 is probably the next console that I have any nostalgia for mainly thanks to Crash and Spyro, Didn't own my first Sony console until the PSP when I was teen and the PS4 was my first home console from Sony too and a Playstation Classic.

Microsoft Xbox was always kind of "Alien" to me when I was a kid, I always thought it was a console for adults or teens/older kids, I would always associate cartoony mascots as the face and icons of brands, Nintendo (Mario/Pikachu/DK), Sony (Crash/Spyro/R&C), So anytime I went into the game section at a store and looked at the Nintendo games and to a much lesser extent Playstation, I would look at Xbox and say to myself "Where are the platformers?" "Who is the face of this brand?" and "This is only for much older kids and adults". Of course we all know that Halo and Master Chief is Microsoft's flagship franchise, But I was a 8 years old at the time I didn't know any better, I have the least amount of history with Xbox, Though I did own a 360 and a One temporarily and while Halo does look cool and I can see it's appeal, The main reason I got an Xbox was to play "Rare" games because of the history with Nintendo and while it didn't work out at first it looks like Microsoft in recent years is starting to actually revive some of those franchises (Killer Instinct, Rare Replay and Battletoads) and for me that is the big "X-Factor" (No pun intended) that will determine if I decide between an Xbox Series X or PS5.

I enjoy both Playstation and Xbox, But I will always mainly be a Nintendo gamer at my core.
I won't go into too much detail because A) it's technically off-topic, and B) I don't want to attract... THOSE people, but it's basically this: my problem isn't necessarily with the products they make (I'd love to try Sly Cooper or Gravity Rush), but rather, it's with Sony themselves. I don't know if you'll find that very satisfying, but again, I'd rather not go into too much detail.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I won't go into too much detail because A) it's technically off-topic, and B) I don't want to attract... THOSE people, but it's basically this: my problem isn't necessarily with the products they make (I'd love to try Sly Cooper or Gravity Rush), but rather, it's with Sony themselves. I don't know if you'll find that very satisfying, but again, I'd rather not go into too much detail.
I myself really hate their censorship policy as of late, especially since they are hypocrites to it, especially with japanese content. Games like senren kagura get heavily censored, but last of us 2 has full gore and a mo caped sex scene complete with topless stuff...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I myself really hate their censorship policy as of late, especially since they are hypocrites to it, especially with japanese content. Games like senren kagura get heavily censored, but last of us 2 has full gore and a mo caped sex scene complete with topless stuff...
It is weird how Sony acts like an American company despite being Japanese, I'll agree with that.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Crunch Bandicoot may not be a dead character!!!

zferolie

Smash Hero
J8m Sterling has a video about Activision throwing in microtransactions into Crash 4, and no matter how good this game turns out to be, its still a super shady scummy thing that Activision is doing with this, you cant deny it. They are known for being probably one of the most corrupt shady game publishers around, maybe even worse then EA now.

Im still getting the game but there is no way in hell i am gonna buy any microtransactions. Hell, even if they are just cosmetic, why can't we just unlock them in game? Remember when that was the norm guys?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
It is weird how Sony acts like an American company despite being Japanese, I'll agree with that.
If i remember correctly, Sony Playstaion's main headquarters are now in California. That may have something to do with it.

Wasn't the sex scene censored in the japanese version though?

zferolie

Smash Hero
If i remember correctly, Sony Playstaion's main headquarters are now in California. That may have something to do with it.

Wasn't the sex scene censored in the japanese version though?
Thats even worse, as these anime games are censored in japan too, but the more realistic hard for sex scene is ok in america at least.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Happy 3rd anniversary to the N. Sane Trilogy! It's sold 10 million units since launch.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
It's official: Crash 4 will not have microtransactions:

Big shoutout to Jim Sterling who jumped the gun and made an 8 minute rant today on Crash 4's microtransactions (though knowing him I'm not surprised he'd do something that stupid).

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Big shoutout to Jim Sterling who jumped the gun and made an 8 minute rant today on Crash 4's microtransactions (though knowing him I'm not surprised he'd do something that stupid).
Well im glad this is the case. Honestly though i dont blame Jim at all. As Activision would do something that scummy.

Papa Pope

Smash Cadet

That's a relief.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Now we just have to hope we don't get a repeat of CTR:NF.

What? This is Activision we're talking about.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Now we just have to hope we don't get a repeat of CTR:NF.

What? This is Activision we're talking about.
That is what i am worried about, but in CTR they never said there would be no microtransactions to then add them in. If they say there is none, and then add it in later, thats a big lie to be caught in, and doesnt seem like toya for bob wants to do that. So far they seem like a genuine good game company

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Happy 3rd anniversary to the N. Sane Trilogy! It's sold 10 million units since launch.
I know nostalgia played a big factor, But very impressive for a platformer not named "Mario" to be that successful considering how much different the gaming landscape is in today's modern era.

It's really great to see a gaming icon like Crash Bandicoot brought back from the dead and come full circle to finally get a long awaited sequel the franchise really deserves, Crash Bandicoot is really leading the charge and teaching on how to make a major comeback for all washed up 90's platforming icons.

Hopefully this light's a fire under Microsoft's ass to revive Banjo-Kazooie and for Nintendo to consistently push and make Donkey Kong a major IP again.

I love Mario, But I want some more platforming variety too.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I know nostalgia played a big factor, But very impressive for a platformer not named "Mario" to be that successful considering how much different the gaming landscape is in today's modern era.

It's really great to see a gaming icon like Crash Bandicoot brought back from the dead and come full circle to finally get a long awaited sequel the franchise really deserves, Crash Bandicoot is really leading the charge and teaching on how to make a major comeback for all washed up 90's platforming icons.

Hopefully this light's a fire under Microsoft's ass to revive Banjo-Kazooie and for Nintendo to consistently push and make Donkey Kong a major IP again.

I love Mario, But I want some more platforming variety too.
I would love some new banjo games, but nintendo should use some of its other forgotten franchises even though a dk game would be nice

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
So, is it guaranteed that Crash would recycle voice clips instead of brand new stuff due to the current situation? I don't know if that really mattered for Min Min considering Spring Man's assist also uses recycled clips. I ask because I'd be 100% fine with that, Harnell's voice in CTR:NF and Skylanders (I guess the 10 or 11 samples in N.Sane work too?) provides more than enough voice clips for a Smash character. Heck, I'm surprised Banjo had enough where only one or two were used twice.

That being said, I've always wondered why so many characters just recycle clips for Smash. Weirder that Marth has gotten new ones since like, Brawl or Melee, but English Puff uses the 15 or so Smash 64 clips.

Somewhat related, but from small snippets of Crash 4, it seems like Crash is more vocal this time? It wasn't just the usual woah or silence this time around.

Top Bottom