• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

zferolie

Smash Hero
Game looks good so far. I am happy they said Crash and Coco play exactly the same, as they gives me hope for her as an alt with crash

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
New game looks great

And we never have to worry about spirit waves ever again

Because min min was the arms character and she was a spirit

Spirits deconfirm is once and for all dead

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
New game looks great

And we never have to worry about spirit waves ever again

Because min min was the arms character and she was a spirit

Spirits deconfirm is once and for all dead
I mean, that’s cool and all, but that doesn’t really have anything to do with Crash as Spirits were never problem for him to begin with

Still glad for the fanbases that were affected by them.

That aside, new game is looking neat! I really want to see what other mask powers there are and how Cortex will play.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'm a bit baffled by the lack of PC or Switch release. Granted I think they'll come later, but still given the sales of the N'Sane Trilogy on both, you'd think they would strike while the iron is hot.

The only thing I can think of is that with Sony and Microsoft about to get new consoles they wanted to get the game out in the fall and focused their efforts on those two while they had the time.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
A lot has been said about the character designs (Cortex looks a bit wonky, I'm fine with the others), but I can't imagine anyone has anything negative to say about the environments, they look incredible.

The game will live or die by its level design and overall gameplay feel, so for me it's hard to judge before I have it in my hands. I just hope it doesn't get overly gimmicky, as much as Crash 3 is my favorite it did go a bit overboard on that front, and already here we see a lot of new things, granted it's expected that they market the new stuff right out of the gate. Crash is at its best with simple yet satisfying platforming imo, gimmick levels help shake things up a bit, but they should be the outliers.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Ignoring my Smash hype for a second, I am pretty excited for this game! The models and renders do look better in action so thats great. I am still hoping we get a Switch version, but for now I'll take what I can get.

Like the trailer said, its about wumping time! :D

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, if Tawna did indeed get a redesign, I can't say I blame them too much; her usual hairstyle is a bit of a pain to draw even for fan artists.

Ignoring my Smash hype for a second, I am pretty excited for this game! The models and renders do look better in action so thats great. I am still hoping we get a Switch version, but for now I'll take what I can get.

Like the trailer said, its about wumping time! :D
Speaking of the streams crossing...

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I will say, if Tawna did indeed get a redesign, I can't say I blame them too much; her usual hairstyle is a bit of a pain to draw even for fan artists.

Speaking of the streams crossing...

Yep that’s gonna be a new profile image.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm really excited for Crash 4, and I like all the designs so far. They even managed to make N. Gin look cool, and he's never looked cool to me in aaaallllll the games lol. Looks like we had to wait 22 years for Crash 4.
The game will live or die by its level design and overall gameplay feel, so for me it's hard to judge before I have it in my hands. I just hope it doesn't get overly gimmicky, as much as Crash 3 is my favorite it did go a bit overboard on that front, and already here we see a lot of new things, granted it's expected that they market the new stuff right out of the gate. Crash is at its best with simple yet satisfying platforming imo, gimmick levels help shake things up a bit, but they should be the outliers.
This is why Crash 2 is my favorite. There's far less gimmicky levels and emphasizes platforming. Plus Warped got a little generic Saturday morning cartoon vibe with its time periods. We've seen countless ancient Egypt, Arabian stuff, medieval settings, Great Wall of China and prehistoric stuff back in the 90s cartoons, especially since Mulan and Aladdin were popular around that time too.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This is why Crash 2 is my favorite. There's far less gimmicky levels and emphasizes platforming. Plus Warped got a little generic Saturday morning cartoon vibe with its time periods. We've seen countless ancient Egypt, Arabian stuff, medieval settings, Great Wall of China and prehistoric stuff back in the 90s cartoons, especially since Mulan and Aladdin were popular around that time too.
Crash 2 does a perfect job at finding the right balance with level variety, and it really helps that even when it does get a bit gimmicky it's not always in the form of vehicles (the bee levels for example). Crash 3 is my favorite because I love the additional movement options, the platforming levels that are there are superb, and it's got the best soundtrack in the series imo, but I'll never argue that it's straight up better than Crash 2, because it's admittedly a much bumpier ride to get through.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Crash 2 does a perfect job at finding the right balance with level variety, and it really helps that even when it does get a bit gimmicky it's not always in the form of vehicles (the bee levels for example). Crash 3 is my favorite because I love the additional movement options, the platforming levels that are there are superb, and it's got the best soundtrack in the series imo, but I'll never argue that it's straight up better than Crash 2, because it's admittedly a much bumpier ride to get through.
Warped did an excellent job with bosses I gitta admit, and if they applied his extra abilities to good old fashioned platforming I think they would knock it out the park.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Quick question: are they gonna use the time travel plot as an excuse to retcon all the later games? I'm assuming from that one joke at the end that, chronologically, this takes place between Warped and Wrath of Cortex. Problem is, time travel can make your head hurt real easily trying to figure things out.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, with two masks controlling time and gravity each, I bet that there is definitely a space mask yet to be revealed. I wonder what that would do? Cause gaps and platforms that are otherwise too far away to become closer to Crash or Coco?

InsaneStar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Johan7
3DS FC
2492-4240-2632
Seems the post-ND games after Warped like Wrath of Cortex, Twinsanity, Titans, and Mind Over Mutant are still existing. No retcons.

https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1275088784875495424

https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1275175215820156930

Thank goodness it's not ignored cause of many people blaming the Titans series for killing the franchise which wasn't the case AT ALL. It was more of Crash Landed that was the cause of it for being overambitions and messed up production. Here's the story here why the franchise went to dormant about 9 years.

https://twitter.com/jumpbuttoncb/status/1202664512693948418

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Going by this game's plot, I think it's safe to say that the punk-looking Tawna we saw in that merchandise is an alt. universe version of her.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This interview confirms at the end that we'll most certainly see TFB's usual protagonist at some point. :dr^_^:

Going by this game's plot, I think it's safe to say that the punk-looking Tawna we saw in that merchandise is an alt. universe version of her.
I wonder if the Tropy-looking design on this concept art is an alternative version, too.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This interview confirms at the end that we'll most certainly see TFB's usual protagonist at some point. :dr^_^:

I wonder if the Tropy-looking design on this concept art is an alternative version, too.

Wait, you mean there's a chance they'll acknowledge Skylanders? Don't do that... don't give me hope...

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If Crash were to have some sort of gimmick, even if it were a small one like Wonder Wing, what do you guys think they'd go with?

I feel like he'd be able to pull out Aku Aku somehow (either manually or automatically) to negate one or two attacks per stock.
Like maybe he'd have Aku Aku at the beginning of each stock and it would negate any move that does more than 15%.

I'm not sure how balanced that would be, but I feel like it'd be something like that.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If Crash were to have some sort of gimmick, even if it were a small one like Wonder Wing, what do you guys think they'd go with?

I feel like he'd be able to pull out Aku Aku somehow (either manually or automatically) to negate one or two attacks per stock.
Like maybe he'd have Aku Aku at the beginning of each stock and it would negate any move that does more than 15%.

I'm not sure how balanced that would be, but I feel like it'd be something like that.
I was thinking more along the lines of Aku Aku appearing and halves damage whenever Crash takes too much damage within the span of 2 seconds.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
*Sees in transcript that the devs mention Crash 4 technically being the eight game in the series.*
*Looks at Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and sees there's a Challenger Pack 8.* :nifty:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://venturebeat.com/2020/06/22/crash-bandicoot-4-its-about-time-is-coming-october-2/
>production started right after N. Sane Trilogy
They were working on this game for 2 years, while making Reignited at the same time!? That's some insane multitasking.

Those Quantum Mask suits are Final Smash material, that's for sure.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Crash is my current prediction for the next fighter.

I'm thinking had COVID-19 not been a thing to begin with, we already would had been getting an double reveal of him at E3 to coincide with his new game, obviously now that this happened he and his game were delayed to Fall.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Crash is my current prediction for the next fighter.

I'm thinking had COVID-19 not been a thing to begin with, we already would had been getting an double reveal of him at E3 to coincide with his new game, obviously now that this happened he and his game were delayed to Fall.
You may be on to something, since Fatmanonice Fatmanonice allegedly heard some info about those plans being heavily implied.

Also, whether it's from coincidence or not, several Smash reveals coincided with major Crash news.
- Nitro-Fueled being revealed on the same night as :ultjoker: in the VGAs 2018
- The first batch of Nitro-Fueled DLC characters and :ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: both being announced on E3 2019
- Min Min being revealed roughly an hour before Crash 4's announcement

Sooner or later they'll eventually cross paths, and it feels like Activision are trying to tell us something.

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
I get the feeling the periods between fighters are going to be loooooooooooong.

So i guess because June is Crash month, which could probably line up with character 8 or 9 if things go at the pace it's going now, then it would be nice to reveal him in June of next year.

Or not. Gib Bandicoot as soon as possible

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I get the feeling the periods between fighters are going to be loooooooooooong.

So i guess because June is Crash month, which could probably line up with character 8 or 9 if things go at the pace it's going now, then it would be nice to reveal him in June of next year.

Or not. Gib Bandicoot as soon as possible
I don't think it would necessarily work that way. Remember that Nitro-Fueled was unveiled on a December, June is simply the likeliest time to hear Crash news, not the only time. If we hear anything, it'll be sometime during Fall, if not earlier than that.

*Sees in transcript that the devs mention Crash 4 technically being the eight game in the series.*
*Looks at Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and sees there's a Challenger Pack 8.* :nifty:
And their official Twitter accounts acknowledged the really weird Ocho meme that was going around before 4's unveiling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Game looks awesome I will see more from Crash N. Sane Trilogy and it one day.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time here we come.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While I still like the N.Sane Trilogy "Classic" Crash, It kind of looks inferior now compared to what they showed off yesterday, The eye pupils, realistic fur and textures, Especially around the muzzle and belly area kind of seems a little off or too much now.

cory-turner-crash-3.jpg

This to me now is the "Definitive" Crash Bandicoot and not only do I hope this is the model they use moving forward with the franchise, But also the one they use if Crash Bandicoot joins Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

867499.png

They absolutely nailed his design and I love how they turned the "Cartooniness" up to 11 with the art style and just look how freaking adorable he looks !!!

qr66cji4ah651.jpg

His maniacal look and grin did get toned down a bit in favor of adorableness, But I for one love it and He can still pull it off with his trademark tongue sticking out.

Man, Seeing this new Crash Bandicoot 3D model, Cartoony art style and all new game, Make me want him in Super Smash Bros Ultimate even more and really hope this is all part of Activision's grand master plan.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
You may be on to something, since Fatmanonice Fatmanonice allegedly heard some info about those plans being heavily implied.

Also, whether it's from coincidence or not, several Smash reveals coincided with major Crash news.
- Nitro-Fueled being revealed on the same night as :ultjoker: in the VGAs 2018
- The first batch of Nitro-Fueled DLC characters and :ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie: both being announced on E3 2019
- Min Min being revealed roughly an hour before Crash 4's announcement

Sooner or later they'll eventually cross paths, and it feels like Activision are trying to tell us something.
At first you had my curiosity. Now, you have my attention.

Guess the reason he did not show up in June is he is still responsibly practicing social distancing and wearing a mask.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Alright, so, bringing back the amiibo theory.

So far, we just know that Joker and Hero arrive this Fall, so we may hear about the next fighter or two shortly before the end of Summer (especially if September has a Direct) or shortly after Fall starts. I know it would take a while, but it would guarantee that said fighter(s) would be nearly finished by the time we get there.

Alternatively, if they really do believe in the whole "8" pattern the Crash fanbase had been fixated on lately, we could hear Smash reveal news for FP7 and FP8 on August, the 8th month of the year, but that seems silly...right?

By the way, here's an account providing thinking Crash character emojis for any of this.

https://twitter.com/TaylorTrap622

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
While I do love the About Time design, I guess I'm the odd one out who'd like to see a revamped (and FAR more expressive) version of Crash's Twinsanity design as his Smash design.

Top Bottom