• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
This would be way too deep a cut for Nintendo & Sakurai to ever do (and would likely only amuse me), but I'd love for the reveal to start off with live action video of people in full body Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, & DK costumes inside an office building. They almost come to blows ala the Smash 64 commercial, however they make their peace and are about to shake hands only for them to hear a loud voice outside the building yelling at them. They all look outside and see none other than this:

I really miss when it used to be common to have people in mascot costumes or just wacky and outrageous commercials in live action settings in the 90's and early 2000's when platformers were the biggest genre in gaming, You don't really see it much anymore.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Though I wouldn't mind having a continuation of the King K. Rool/Banjo-Kazooie trailer, I feel that it will likely wear out it's welcome the 3rd time.

It worked well with Banjo-Kazooie seeing how they are also Rare characters and were spunoff from the Donkey Kong franchise and are connected (Canonically Diddy Kong and Banjo-Kazooie are old friends), Kind of like how Crash and Spyro are too.

That being said Crash Bandicoot would fit in very well with the aesthetic/setting of DK jungle in the CGI trailer as the series (Mainly the 1st game) always gave me Donkey Kong Country vibes.

But as I have mentioned before I would like Crash's Smash trailer to center around the rivalry against Mario and maybe Sonic too as a throwback to the console war between Nintendo, Sega and Sony of the late 90's.
As cool as that would be for them to pull the treehouse fool ya once, fool you twice setting, I think it should only be reserved for follow Rare characters as DK partly, Diddy, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie are all Rare characters. Dixie Kong or Conker should get this setting for their trailer if by some miracle either of them get in this game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm, here's a twist.

That trailer idea would be amazing - you know what would make it better? Have them fighting Villager 2v1 before Crash swoops in, then at the end have the 3 mascots literally bury Villager's axe and give a high five - er, four. Sure, it's not subtle in the slightest - but I doubt subtlety would get across to the crowd that believes the console wars are still a thing.
Er, by "rescue", I meant more that it's to be a scenario in which they're pulled out of genuine danger. :ulthero::ulthero2::ulthero3::ulthero4:

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
As cool as that would be for them to pull the treehouse fool ya once, fool you twice setting, I think it should only be reserved for follow Rare characters as DK partly, Diddy, K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie are all Rare characters. Dixie Kong or Conker should get this setting for their trailer if by some miracle either of them get in this game.
I'm aware of that which is why I said Banjo-Kazooie made sense for that type of trailer.

All I'm saying is if any other guest character were to be featured in the same trailer for whatever random reason, Crash Bandicoot wouldn't really look that out of place as he is another animal mascot platformer character who's world and setting is pretty similar to Donkey Kong's.

Bottom Line: Like I mentioned before I want Crash's trailer to revolve around Mario and maybe Sonic as a throwback to their rivalry and show how big and important of an inclusion he is, Kind of like Sonic's Brawl trailer, But more cinematic and with wacky and slapstick humor.

I also like the idea that someone said that the 3 team up and fight off other enemies or rivals to show how the rivalry is history and form an alliance as a nod that all 3 franchises are available on Nintendo platforms (Even if it's been like that since the early 2000's) Something that would have been seen as impossible in the 90's.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah another thing is Crash isn't really as "unseen for several years" as K. Rool and Banjo were for it to have the same impact; Crash never meeting Mario or Sonic upfront besides him and Mario's associates both being available in Skylanders doesn't really fit that bill. Maybe even the same goes for Dixie. I could kinda see Geno moreso fitting that bill as he hasn't "been" in a game since the GBA days, but maybe from Mario and friends' point of view, where it doesn't even start out like the others until we see the one more fake-out that's comedically offset because it wasn't in that DK environment, more sped up as Mario has a "...really?" face right as Geno quickly comes out and eliminates the imposter, maybe Mii Gunner or something, give her a CGI animated appearance!

Back on track, if Crash had a Classic Mode route focusing on his fellow Sony cohorts... Could they get away with calling it "Station of Play"? Or something subtler? It could have Cloud, Snake, Simon and Richter, Joker if he wasn't DLC, and then just stretch it with Pac-Man, Ryu and/or Bayonetta, maybe in a multiplatform free for all. And as either another battle or the boss, you could have a team battle with whoever against Mario and Sonic! That'd be so rad.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of comebacks, the Tony Hawk rumors were true, and it seems that Vicarious Visions handled it. The first two games are coming in remade form via a collection, this Fall at the start of September.

Since Acti's hearing mentioned "two IPs" getting new releases that are on track for this year, Crash should theoretically follow.

Edit: Someone's already found an easter egg, too:

Edit 2: Beenox pitched in as well!

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Here's my classic mode for Crash.

90's Shakedown
Round 1::ultrichter:
Round 2::ultsnake:
Round 3::ultcloud:
Round 4::ultmegaman:
Round 5: Dracula
Round 6::ultpacman:
Final Round::ultsonic::ultmario:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's my classic mode for Crash.

90's Shakedown
Round 1::ultrichter:
Round 2::ultsnake:
Round 3::ultcloud:
Round 4::ultmegaman:
Round 5: Dracula
Round 6::ultpacman:
Final Round::ultsonic::ultmario:
Here’s my interpretation:

Round 1: :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard:(free-for-all) on Pokémon Stadium (Main Theme - Pokémon Red and Blue (Melee))
Round 2: :ultbanjokazooie:on Spiral Mountain (Main Theme - Banjo-Kazooie)
Round 3: :ultcloud: on (Stamina Battle, 150HP) on Midgar (Fight On!)
Round 4: :ultryu: (Stamina Battle, 150HP) on Suzaku Castle Ω (Ryu Stage)
Round 5: :ultsnake:x5 (horde battle) on :shadowmoses: (Encounter)
Round 6: Marx
Final Round: :ultmario::ultsonic:
on :battlefieldb: (Time Twister Theme - Crash Bandicoot WARPED)

Here’s a thread for Classic Mode ideas: https://smashboards.com/threads/create-a-classic-mode-for-your-most-wanted.464868/

Last edited:

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
If Crash did get added in it really would cool if they could add Spyro in some shape or form. Adding him as an assist trophy if you purchase Crash would something cool & unprecedented; though realistically I'd love it if he was just swooping around in the background in Crash's stage like Bottles & Mumbo in Spiral Mountain. I could see Cortex, N.Gin, Coco chilling in background but every once in a while, we see Spyro flying around.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If Crash did get added in it really would cool if they could add Spyro in some shape or form. Adding him as an assist trophy if you purchase Crash would something cool & unprecedented; though realistically I'd love it if he was just swooping around in the background in Crash's stage like Bottles & Mumbo in Spiral Mountain. I could see Cortex, N.Gin, Coco chilling in background but every once in a while, we see Spyro flying around.
I really hope they go the extra mile and make Coco an echo fighter seeing how she has pretty much the same moveset as Crash, But I assume it comes down to what existing fighter they use for the "Base/Foundation".

As for the background characters, Definitely Cortex and his 2 main henchman (Also my favorite baddies) in Tiny Tiger And Dingodile. And maybe some allies too in Polar and Pura.

I like the idea of Spyro showing up, But would be somewhat annoyed if they got the rights only to use him as a background character, But at the same time can kind of understand because I don't think anyone sees Spyro showing up in the same pass and definitely not before Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I really hope they go the extra mile and make Coco an echo fighter seeing how she has pretty much the same moveset as Crash, But I assume it comes down to what existing fighter they use for the "Base/Foundation".

As for the background characters, Definitely Cortex and his 2 main henchman (Also my favorite baddies) in Tiny Tiger And Dingodile. And maybe some allies too in Polar and Pura.

I like the idea of Spyro showing up, But would be somewhat annoyed if they got the rights only to use him as a background character, But at the same time can kind of understand because I don't think anyone sees Spyro showing up in the same pass and definitely not before Crash Bandicoot.
I'd want Ripper Roo to make some sort of cameo in this theoretical stage - he's my personal favourite, and he's also tied for most recurring non-final boss in the original trilogy with Tiny.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I mean, I could see a Spyro spirit at worst, but I think he likely won't be in a Crash stage itself. Call it a gut hunch.

Coco would be a very easy Crash echo, imagine how many people will all of a sudden become huge fans of her when it happens. Combine that with how NST onward has treated Coco, I lowkey think it is decently likely. I think Crash has like a 90% Chance of getting in, he is imo the second most likely character overall. Coco being his echo i would give about a 35% chance if that makes sense.

NIckynickreviews

Smash Cadet
While I can't see why they both wouldn't get it, how do you guys feel about crash and rayman potentially being competition with each other?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
saying Crash and Rayman have competition with one another is like saying Geno and Waluigi have competition with one another. They don't.
Yeah, it's mainly a matter of "Do we have enough time/money to include/negotiate for them/get around their programming limitations"? If neither character gets in, it would mainly be because they didn't get around to them before time for including DLC ran out.

In fan fiction they would maybe compete with each other, but that's the extent of it as far as it goes as a determining factor.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While I can't see why they both wouldn't get it, how do you guys feel about crash and rayman potentially being competition with each other?
I honestly believe one of them is gonna make it in Season 2, Who it is? I don't know, But I Based on what's happen so far in Smash, Rayman seems to have the edge/advantage.

I don't have much history with Rayman or really played the series, But I'm a big fan of "Most" platformers and cartoony platform mascots as it is probably my favorite genre in gaming, But I would be cool with him joining Smash as I find his design appealing and his games look fun, Might even give "Legends" a try on Switch if he makes it in, So yeah I'm somewhat pulling for him.

If we can get both in Season 2, That's even better, But seeing how Season 1 only got one (Banjo-Kazooie) western character, I'm probably expecting the same for Season 2.

If I can only choose between one of them than I'd much rather have Crash seeing how I somewhat grew up with the franchise, Have some history with it and find his world more appealing overall.

Bottom line: I kind of do see both Crash and Rayman as competition as they are some of the biggest and last remaining platformer mascots left to make it into Smash that also happen to be Western and with only 5 roster slots left and we'll see if Activision or Ubisoft were willing to play ball.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well then, it looks like a First 4 Figures statue for Dr. Neo Cortex has just been unveiled!

The timing for this is interesting. We wouldn't get merch like this unless they knew that a new major console game would be coming...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I get the sense June will have a significant reveal for Smash given that we got Everyone is Here/Ridley at E3 2018 and the twofer of Hero and Banjo last year. Crash feels like one the biggest third party characters (outside a Master Chief or Sora) that could be shown off especially given the revival of the series these last couple of years.

2017: N'Sane Trilogy's Release
2018: The NST ports to PC/Xbox/Switch
2019: Release of the CTR Remake

With another game possibly on the way, being revealed as Fighter 7 would be some great timing for both that series and Smash. No guarantee obviously, but it is something that would make the internet go nuts.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well it's about damn time Sony.

If the next mainline Crash Bandicoot game does get unveiled hopefully it's not timed exclusive to Playstation again, But seeing how CTR: Nitro Fueled didn't follow the same way of N.Sane Trilogy maybe not, But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, it's mainly a matter of "Do we have enough time/money to include/negotiate for them/get around their programming limitations"? If neither character gets in, it would mainly be because they didn't get around to them before time for including DLC ran out.

In fan fiction they would maybe compete with each other, but that's the extent of it as far as it goes as a determining factor.
Fanfiction writer: The Crash and Rayman fanbases were battling it out to determine who would reign surprime in the Smash community and who would be making it in over the other. Sakurai had to choose wisely to not anger either of the fanbases, so he made a reckless decision and added Bubsy instead. And than everybody lived happly ever after. :troll:

I honestly believe one of them is gonna make it in Season 2, Who it is? I don't know, But I Based on what's happen so far in Smash, Rayman seems to have the edge/advantage.

I don't have much history with Rayman or really played the series, But I'm a big fan of "Most" platformers and cartoony platform mascots as it is probably my favorite genre in gaming, But I would be cool with him joining Smash as I find his design appealing and his games look fun, Might even give "Legends" a try on Switch if he makes it in, So yeah I'm somewhat pulling for him.

If we can get both in Season 2, That's even better, But seeing how Season 1 only got one (Banjo-Kazooie) western character, I'm probably expecting the same for Season 2.

If I can only choose between one of them than I'd much rather have Crash seeing how I somewhat grew up with the franchise, Have some history with it and find his world more appealing overall.

Bottom line: I kind of do see both Crash and Rayman as competition as they are some of the biggest and last remaining platformer mascots left to make it into Smash that also happen to be Western and with only 5 roster slots left and we'll see if Activision or Ubisoft were willing to play ball.
I honestly think Crash has the edge over Rayman to be honest. He is currently more popular and he was literally the PlayStation mascot in the 90s. Crash's popularity is on a similar level for Smash and he has a much bigger resume so I think Crash will be chosen if either of them. There really isn't any competition here as they're mascots from two different companies.

Well then, it looks like a First 4 Figures statue for Dr. Neo Cortex has just been unveiled!

The timing for this is interesting. We wouldn't get merch like this unless they knew that a new major console game would be coming...
I'm getting Banjo-Kazooie/Conker merchandise figure vibes here. I think Crash is in.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Here's my latest moveset idea for Crash.

Down Throw: Twinsane Slam

For his DThrow, Crash flips his victim upside down and slams them like a hammer. It's exactly what he does to Cortex in Twinsanity. The heavier the foe, the more damage dealt to both the victim and whoever gets hit by the swing; thus the damage percentages hinge on his foe's weight class. It is overall a hard-hitting throw. Here's the layout:

Pretty straightforward. Be mindful of where Crash slams his target, as that will hurt whoever's caught in the middle pretty badly.
And that's his Down Throw; most of his throws are taken straight from Twinsanity, whereas his Back Throw isn't from any game whatsoever.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
On the topic of Crash vs. Rayman, for me both characters aren't mutually exclusive. I love them both and WANT them in the roster. With that out of the way, I feel like Crash has to come this June. The timing, the significance, the last of the late 90s console war mascot trio to finally join the battle! I NEED that reveal moment where everyone loses their **** and starts going "WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!" Crash gonna pull up with his kart and throw a Nitro box at Mario's Circuit and be like, "hey plumber boy, remember ME?!?!" :2gud:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
On the topic of Crash vs. Rayman, for me both characters aren't mutually exclusive. I love them both and WANT them in the roster. With that out of the way, I feel like Crash has to come this June. The timing, the significance, the last of the late 90s console war mascot trio to finally join the battle! I NEED that reveal moment where everyone loses their **** and starts going "WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!" Crash gonna pull up with his kart and throw a Nitro box at Mario's Circuit and be like, "hey plumber boy, remember ME?!?!" :2gud:
Imagine if the reveal trailer begins like Rosalina's in where you think it's a trailer for Mario Kart and Crash comes out of nowhere and throws the Nitro Box at Mario like you said. Man that would be a sick trailer.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I honestly think Crash has the edge over Rayman to be honest. He is currently more popular and he was literally the PlayStation mascot in the 90s. Crash's popularity is on a similar level for Smash and he has a much bigger resume so I think Crash will be chosen if either of them. There really isn't any competition here as they're mascots from two different companies.
I want Crash more than Rayman and while it's nothing against Rayman (I will be happy for him to make it in), Crash is the bigger icon and had a much bigger impact in gaming overall.

But seeing how Nintendo and Ubisoft have already worked together on Mario and they already have Rabbids and Assassins Creed content in Smash Ultimate, Not to mention the Rayman trophy in Smash Wii U, Kind of weird that Ubisoft would go through some of this trouble to not get the company mascot in Smash. Which is why I see that Rayman has the advantage.

I kind of still see it as competition, There are 5 roster slots left, Nintendo favors more characters and companies of Japanese origin than the west and there are many factors that determine which character they will prioritize and what companies they are willing to negotiate with and fan demand too.

We got lucky that Microsoft was willing to play ball for Season 1.

Like I said multiple times before, I'm willing to bet that we are getting at least 1 western character for Season 2 and 2 of the most obvious choices in that category are Rayman and Crash Bandicoot, Who it is? We don't know. Hopefully both, But all signs are so far are pointing to Rayman right now.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Like I said multiple times before, I'm willing to bet that we are getting at least 1 western character for Season 2 and 2 of the most obvious choices in that category are Rayman and Crash Bandicoot, Who it is? We don't know. Hopefully both, But all signs are so far are pointing to Rayman right now.
What signs are in Rayman's favor over Crash exactly? Please enlightened me.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
What signs are in Rayman's favor over Crash exactly? Please enlightened me.
- Rayman already had a trophy in Smash 4, Ubisoft was even willing to go as far and provide a 3D model for it.

- Ubisoft already has content in Ultimate in the form of spirits and just recently costumes for both Rabbids and Assassin's Creed.

- Nintendo and Ubisoft's strong partnership has led to them collaborate not just with Mario, But Donkey Kong and Star Fox too.

- Apparently there has been rumors recently of Rayman regarding Copyright and an Ubisoft A.I assistant or something that may be in the know of Rayman's inclusion in Smash.

Maybe Nintendo just wants us to think he's coming, But seeing all this makes me think it"s only a matter of time.

While Crash Bandicoot is the bigger icon overall, Nothing as of lately shows Nintendo working with Activision as closely Ubisoft, Now that doesn't mean Crash Bandicoot isn't more likely, But I would imagine Rayman would be much easier and cheaper to negotiate than Crash as we don't know if or how much Activision is willing to play ball,

Activision wouldn't play ball with Sony regarding "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" and that's when Crash Bandicoot was a dead, washed up franchise, Now that the IP is revitalized and valuable, I wonder what it would take to licensed it out to Nintendo?

That being said I still think Crash Bandicoot is more likely than your average 3rd party character.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
- Rayman already had a trophy in Smash 4, Ubisoft was even willing to go as far and provide a 3D model for it.

- Ubisoft already has content in Ultimate in the form of spirits and just recently costumes for both Rabbids and Assassin's Creed.

- Nintendo and Ubisoft's strong partnership has led to them collaborate not just with Mario, But Donkey Kong and Star Fox too.

- Apparently there has been rumors recently of Rayman regarding Copyright and an Ubisoft A.I assistant or something that may be in the know of Rayman's inclusion in Smash.

Maybe Nintendo just wants us to think he's coming, But seeing all this makes me think it"s only a matter of time.

While Crash Bandicoot is the bigger icon overall, Nothing as of lately shows Nintendo working with Activision as closely Ubisoft, Now that doesn't mean Crash Bandicoot isn't more likely, But I would imagine Rayman would be much easier and cheaper to negotiate than Crash as we don't know if or how much Activision is willing to play ball,

Activision wouldn't play ball with Sony regarding "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" and that's when Crash Bandicoot was a dead, washed up franchise, Now that the IP is revitalized and valuable, I wonder what it would take to licensed it out to Nintendo?

That being said I still think Crash Bandicoot is more likely than your average 3rd party character.
Well that all doesn't make Rayman more likely. In that regard you could say Rayman was more likely than Banjo & Kazooie before they got revealed. There wasn't much evidence going for Banjo & Kazooie except for the cut Blast Corps and Jetforce Gemini Spirits found in the game's files yet they got in over Rayman. Plus Banjo & Kazooie and Rare had stronger ties to Nintendo's history and were N64 mascots back in the day.

Crash was the mascot for Sony's PS1 and is the bigger icon than Rayman so his resume makes him more likely to get chosen. Sure Rayman could get in over him, but for now I I'm thinking if either of them it's Crash that's getting in.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Couldn't Bowser's and DK's playable appearance in Skylanders (alongside Crash, Cortex and Spyro, mind you) be a sign that Activision is probably also very friendly with Nintendo, just as much as Ubisoft?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Couldn't Bowser's and DK's playable appearance in Skylanders (alongside Crash, Cortex and Spyro, mind you) be a sign that Activision is probably also very friendly with Nintendo, just as much as Ubisoft?
Yeah, it's very understated. Most folks wouldn't realise it until Crash got in.

Also, the fact that VV wanted to port N. Sane Trilogy to the Switch, just because they could.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well that all doesn't make Rayman more likely. In that regard you could say Rayman was more likely than Banjo & Kazooie before they got revealed. There wasn't much evidence going for Banjo & Kazooie except for the cut Blast Corps and Jetforce Gemini Spirits found in the game's files yet they got in over Rayman. Plus Banjo & Kazooie and Rare had stronger ties to Nintendo's history and were N64 mascots back in the day.

Crash was the mascot for Sony's PS1 and is the bigger icon than Rayman so his resume makes him more likely to get chosen. Sure Rayman could get in over him, but for now I I'm thinking if either of them it's Crash that's getting in.
It also doesn't hurt his chances, It definitely helps more if you ask me, If Microsoft being very cooperative with Nintendo can get Banjo-Kazooie than Ubisoft being very cooperative with Nintendo can get Rayman.

Why Banjo-Kazooie got in first is anyone's guess, Maybe the demand and Phil Spencer help speed up the process, One could argue that Crash should of went first since he's a bigger icon than Banjo-Kazooie and Rayman, But of course that wasn't the case, But if you ask me the reason Banjo-Kazooie got priority first by Nintendo was because of serious demand and he just resonates more with older and hardcore Nintendo fans than Crash and Rayman, Hell they used to own the character so maybe that's part of the reason they decided to go the extra mile for them.

But like what I have stated before just like with Season 1, I really, really believe we are going to get at least 1 western character in Season 2, Crash and Rayman are safe bets and likely frontrunners in that category, I'm pulling for Crash, But because of what I mentioned before, Rayman to me personally feels like a little bit more of a safer bet if we do happen to only get one.

I'm cool with Rayman and wouldn't mind both, But if we can only get one western character this time around than without a doubt Crash Bandicoot's got my vote.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But if you ask me the reason Banjo-Kazooie got priority first by Nintendo was because of serious demand and he just resonates more with older and hardcore Nintendo fans than Crash and Rayman, Hell they used to own the character so maybe that's part of the reason they decided to go the extra mile for them.
That's what I was saying:

Plus Banjo & Kazooie and Rare had stronger ties to Nintendo's history and were N64 mascots back in the day.

Top Bottom