• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

zferolie

Smash Hero
The thing is Capcom did this exact thing with Street Fighter V.

SFV launched at $60 with almost no content, not even an arcade mode which is a staple of literally every fighter. The main gimmick of the game was that you could buy characters/stages with in-game fight money, but the prices for characters are insanely high. For each online win you earn 50 FM, and each new character costs 100,000 FM. So to get a new character you'd have to win 2,000 matches. Yes there were some ways to get extra FM like by doing each character's story, but when the arcade edition launched Capcom went out of their way to remove all those old ways of farming FM. All the character story and survival mode FM rewards were completely removed and the weekly challenges went down from 5,000 FM to a mere 50 FM (when this happened I just quit the game).

I know this is the third time I've trashed on SFV on this page alone, but it really is the prime example of how not to run an in-game money system. I'm not defending Activision for adding microtransactions into NF (in fact it was super scummy of them to not publicly announce it on launch), but my whole point is that Nitro-Fueled's way of in-game currency is nowhere near as bad as other games. Even when you don't compare NF to anything else, earning coins isn't that bad and I think this whole thing is getting really overblown.
I honestly didnt bother with sf5, but didnt know it was that bad. That being said, just because ones games microtransactions arent as bad as another we should give them a free pass, especially when how its put into the game effects how the game is. The reason crash is so grindy is to force people to buy the coins. If, lets say, there was an option to just buy the characters only, but everything else still needed cpins, and the grind wasnt that terrible, then i wouldnt be so against this games microtransactions.

There are modern game masterpieces with microtransactions included which don’t really harm the game at all, tbh.

Some examples are God Of War 4 or Uncharted 4.

If the microtransactions are as decently pulled as in those games, I won’t really mind their presence.
Yes some games use dlc and microtransactions well. I mean i play smite and while i dislike its chest system as a whole i think they do other dlc and microtransactions ok. That is a free to play game though.

Its just that ea, Activision, and others are ****ing over the consumer to get as much money as they can, regardless if it kills the gaming industry.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Even when you don't compare NF to anything else, earning coins isn't that bad
Uh, considering how long it takes to grind coins offline (and you still need an internet connection for coins to register), or heck, even with online playing, yes it is that bad.

Mind you, indifference is exactly what Activision and other scum companies bank on to get away with crud like this and Male it worse gradually.

Heck, they already nerfed offline coin rates a few months ago. What's to stop them from doing so again?

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
Can we please not have this talk here? If you want to rant about Activision and their scummy business practices, go to Reddit or Twitter. Sorry if I sound like I'm blowing my temper but I'm just sick to death of Activision/microtransaction rants plagueing other communities such as this one. I don't think a lot of people in a Crash support thread are going to feel very enthusiastic in their support with people saying "Activision bad so Crash shouldn't be in Smash!"

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Mind you, I still support Crash for Smash despite his current holders' clear lack of player care and morals.

What they're doing is a bad thing yes, but if we let stuff like horrendous companies or owners hinder our requests, then Snake wouldn't be back, and lord knows the DQ fanbase didn't let that stop them.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Gonna repost this from the Social Thread:

If a character coming to the Smash DLC after their most recent game came out then it might give me even more hope for Crash and increase the bandicoot’s chances much higher.

Persona 5 and Dragon Quest 11 (both came out in 2017 as did N.Sane Trilogy....and remember :ultjoker: & :ulthero: didn’t just represent one entry specifically but the entirety of their franchises and :ultbanjokazooie: also putting western platformers on the table now.

He isn’t a lock, nobody is but I can’t help but feel Crash’s chances may have skyrocketed a bit.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I would love to see both Crash and Doom Guy in the Fighters pass as they are the only two characters that I like that have a solid chance.

However I think the Bandicoot missed his chance for this Fighters pass since I don't think Nintendo is going to catch on to Crash Bandicoot's hype that quickly. I mean it took Nintendo this long to finally add Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo Kazooie as playable characters. I'm hoping that Sakurai and Nintendo consider a second Fighters pass or just add characters with stages periodically throughout the Switch's life and continue to support Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Meanwhile, Doom Guy will probably get in to Smash Bros via a similar process to the Dragon Quest heroes by being an iconic franchise that kickstarted a genre and now trying to appeal to the overseas market. Dragon Quest for the West and Doom for the East.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
N. Brio, Nina, and Komodo Moe confirmed for the next Grand Prix after the baby one.

https://blog.activision.com/crash-b...-Crash-Team-Racing-Nitro-Fueled-on-August-2nd

I'm probably gonna pass on the baby Grand Prix (since I'll be busy with Three Houses and I think the two babies look weird) but I'm so going all-in for N. Brio and Nina.
I'd do it just for Baby T. The only worthy character of the Grand Prix atm

Long, tan and handsome!

View attachment 233007
NERD!

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
However I think the Bandicoot missed his chance for this Fighters pass since I don't think Nintendo is going to catch on to Crash Bandicoot's hype that quickly. I mean it took Nintendo this long to finally add Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo Kazooie as playable characters. I'm hoping that Sakurai and Nintendo consider a second Fighters pass or just add characters with stages periodically throughout the Switch's life and continue to support Super Smash Bros Ultimate.
IDK what about Sonic in Brawl though? Does he count? Also those three also had the issues of size, irrelevancy and being owned by a competitor? Plus Joker was pretty new for an addition.

Though you could also say similar of your statement for Doomguy, right? How does he get a pass?

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
IDK what about Sonic in Brawl though? Does he count?
We know now that Sonic had been in the Project plan for Brawl originally. However Sega initially said no, but later changed their minds later. If DLC had existed for the Wii. It's quite possible Sonic would have been the first DLC character. Perhaps Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff as well.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
We know now that Sonic had been in the Project plan for Brawl originally. However Sega initially said no, but later changed their minds later. If DLC had existed for the Wii. It's quite possible Sonic would have been the first DLC character. Perhaps Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff as well.
I think it’s possible Roy, Mewtwo, and Doc would’ve joined the DLC roster there too

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
IDK what about Sonic in Brawl though? Does he count? Also those three also had the issues of size, irrelevancy and being owned by a competitor? Plus Joker was pretty new for an addition.

Though you could also say similar of your statement for Doomguy, right? How does he get a pass?
Characters like Joker, Cloud, Hero and Snake are characters that don't necessarily get in due to fan demand but more so because higher ups want them in which I think would be the case for Doom Guy. I've already stated why he would get in regardless of fan demand.
Meanwhile, Doom Guy will probably get in to Smash Bros via a similar process to the Dragon Quest heroes by being an iconic franchise that kickstarted a genre and now trying to appeal to the overseas market. Dragon Quest for the West and Doom for the East.
Also unlike Activision Blizzard, Bethesda seems really keen on working closely with Nintendo with trying to port their games onto the Switch.

Meanwhile Sonic has been requested since Sega went third party and it took 6 years for that to come true (Probably 12 years if Sega was still adamant) and Sonic caused the game to be delayed just for his inclusion. Crash Bandicoot from what I can tell is entirely fan requested which means Nintendo won't catch on until a few more months (Or a few more years if another Fighters pass isn't a possibility).

So again, I don't think Crash Bandicoot is going to make it for this Fighters pass but I'd be happy to be wrong. If there is a second fighters pass or they just add more characters with stages without a pass (Which I truly hope they do), he is probably one of the only few frontrunners left to choose from.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Characters like Joker, Cloud, Hero and Snake are characters that don't necessarily get in due to fan demand but more so because higher ups want them in which I think would be the case for Doom Guy. I've already stated why he would get in regardless of fan demand.
How does Crash not fall into this tho?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How does Crash not fall into this tho?
Activision Blizzard is why Crash Bandicoot does not fall into that category. Activision for the most part don't really support the Nintendo Switch that much (They haven't released any Call of Duty games on the Switch for one) and have never shown interest in Smash Bros. The Crash developers seem interested but Activision hasn't really said anything about it.

Plus, it seems that they favour Sony more than Nintendo. The N.Sane Trilogy releasing on the PS4 a year before any other console and Exclusive content only for the PS4 seem to hint at this. If Crash Bandicoot is going to get into Smash Bros, it'd be from fan requests alone so again Crash does not fall under the corporate higher ups wanting their character in Smash. He's under the same fan request roof that Banjo and Kazooie were under and that is not a bad thing. We just gotta show Activision that we want Crash Bandicoot in Smash Bros.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
They made bundles more expensive and they even removed a set of tires from the bundle. this whole thing is seriously harming my desire to see Crash in Smash... I'm not sure I want Activision to get their claws into Smash Bros.

bundles more expensive.png

If they truly nerf the amount of coins you earn then I'll start getting annoyed over this.
You gonna get mad yet?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
They made bundles more expensive and they even removed a set of tires from the bundle. this whole thing is seriously harming my desire to see Crash in Smash... I'm not sure I want Activision to get their claws into Smash Bros.

View attachment 233291

You gonna get mad yet?
Yeah this pricing is just stupid. Even I'm not gonna defend this. Brio and Nina are the only things that would make me use wumpa coins and then I'm never gonna open up the store again.

Even with this microtransaction nonsense, I still want Crash in Smash since I love the first three games and it'd be crazy to see him fight with Mario.

D

Deleted member

I still want to see Crash in Smash, since I never gave up on this personal dream for years.

Now regarding microtransactions: they hopefully bomb hard so Activision goes back on foot soon.

They are getting money only because up to this point they did Crash right. Now they will hopefully stop gaining as much and say “****, we need to do things right again to keep getting money”.

Activision Blizzard is why Crash Bandicoot does not fall into that category. Activision for the most part don't really support the Nintendo Switch that much (They haven't released any Call of Duty games on the Switch for one) and have never shown interest in Smash Bros. The Crash developers seem interested but Activision hasn't really said anything about it.

Plus, it seems that they favour Sony more than Nintendo. The N.Sane Trilogy releasing on the PS4 a year before any other console and Exclusive content only for the PS4 seem to hint at this. If Crash Bandicoot is going to get into Smash Bros, it'd be from fan requests alone so again Crash does not fall under the corporate higher ups wanting their character in Smash. He's under the same fan request roof that Banjo and Kazooie were under and that is not a bad thing. We just gotta show Activision that we want Crash Bandicoot in Smash Bros.
>Activision wants Crash in Smash
>Outside of CoD, Activision is literally giving all of their new products on Switch. Crash and Spyro being highlights.
>They made Sony exclusive content because the games that inspired the current remakes used to be PS1 exclusives.
>Crash is of corporate interest due to how much money the IP prints.

I don’t agree with your post, ngl.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
>Activision wants Crash in Smash.
I have never found an article or video that says Activision wants Crash in Smash. The only video that comes close to that is of the Vicarious Visions developers saying they would like Crash in Smash Bros and even then they say it's out of their control. The company itself has never said anything regarding Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

>Outside of CoD, Activision is literally giving all of their new products on Switch. Crash and Spyro being highlights.
Those are the only games that Activision have published on the Switch. Outside of Crash and Spyro, there has been no support for the Switch.

>They made Sony exclusive content because the games that inspired the current remakes used to be PS1 exclusives.
That is true. However Activision still shows a lot more support for Sony than Nintendo, especially when they make timed exclusive content come first on the PS4.

>Crash is of corporate interest due to how much money the IP prints.
Also true but again they haven't talked about or shown any interest in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Even then, Crash Team Racing is making them a lot of money already so they probably see no point in making him join Smash Bros until the fans keep pestering them about it.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I would love to see both Crash and Doom Guy in the Fighters pass as they are the only two characters that I like that have a solid chance.

There’s another way to look at this. Yes, it took awhile to get these fan demanded characters, but had this been a conventional Smash game we probably would’ve gotten half of what exists in Ultimate including when it comes veterans. This is Smash fan demand the game, so it likely doesn’t matter how long a character has been desired. As long as the demand is there, substantial, and both companies want the character I see them as probable.

View attachment 233291

You gonna get mad yet?
I’ve never understood this argument. First of all, Crash is blameless, and is only a guest character. You think him coming to Smash would cause Nintendo to adopt micro-transactions or something? Unlikely.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
There’s another way to look at this. Yes, it took awhile to get these fan demanded characters, but had this been a conventional Smash game we probably would’ve gotten half of what exists in Ultimate including when it comes veterans. This is Smash fan demand the game, so it likely doesn’t matter how long a character has been desired. As long as the demand is there, substantial, and both companies want the character I see them as probable.
The problem is not that he is not going to be in Super Smash Bros. The problem that he's too late to be in this Fighters pass because fans will have to convince Activision to work with Nintendo to make it happen. This is why I say that Crash would be a fan request instead of higher ups wanting to advertise their games like the Dragon Quest heroes and Doom Guy if he gets in.

The reason that Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are alive and booming today is because the fans have been pestering Activision for years to finally get them to make the remakes. Getting Crash Bandicoot into Super Smash Bros is going to be the same deal as Activision barely even supports the Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
IDK man, Crash was still a really popular character worldwide (?) even at the time of his Switch port/Smash Ultimate reveal. And hell, maybe his hypothetical 4th/5th fighter inclusion negotiations could have been a bit later in 2018 with the sales of N Sane on Switch? And if this pass is meant to give us wildcards, why not? Keep in mind that Joker's main game is still only available on a competitor's systems, and you still can't play Banjo currently on a modern system that isn't Nintendo's other competitor.

Come to think of it, Japan didn't even need any new Banjo release to be excited for his return as well, so no doubt they could do the same for Crash with his Japan popularity, even if N Sane kinda didn't sell well in Japan at least the first time around...

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
The problem is not that he is not going to be in Super Smash Bros. The problem that he's too late to be in this Fighters pass because fans will have to convince Activision to work with Nintendo to make it happen. This is why I say that Crash would be a fan request instead of higher ups wanting to advertise their games like the Dragon Quest heroes and Doom Guy if he gets in.

The reason that Crash Bandicoot and Spyro are alive and booming today is because the fans have been pestering Activision for years to finally get them to make the remakes. Getting Crash Bandicoot into Super Smash Bros is going to be the same deal as Activision barely even supports the Nintendo Switch.
I don’t get how you could possibly know that it’s too late. We can’t see what’s going on behind the scenes, or what Activision’s thoughts are on Smash. Obviously we don’t always know a company is interested in Smash before we see their character appear.

As for Activision’s support of the Switch, yes, it may be minor in terms of quantity, but the games their releasing are significant and sell well. Regardless, this isn’t a sole indicator of whether we get a character from any given company when we look at companies like Konami. What have they been doing to support the Switch? A handful of anniversary collections and Bomberman R. Not exactly impressive, and yet look at all the love for MGS and CV!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
There are modern game masterpieces with microtransactions included which don’t really harm the game at all, tbh.

Some examples are God Of War 4 or Uncharted 4.

If the microtransactions are as decently pulled as in those games, I won’t really mind their presence.
Hang on, what microtransactions does GoW4 have?
Can we please not have this talk here? If you want to rant about Activision and their scummy business practices, go to Reddit or Twitter. Sorry if I sound like I'm blowing my temper but I'm just sick to death of Activision/microtransaction rants plagueing other communities such as this one. I don't think a lot of people in a Crash support thread are going to feel very enthusiastic in their support with people saying "Activision bad so Crash shouldn't be in Smash!"
I disagree with the 1st part, it is relevant to Crash, so Activision starting a shady trend on the most recent Crash game is IMO worth talking about. It gives us a glimpse of what they might mandate for future Crash games--especially multi-player Crash games--and is likely the tip of the iceberg. I think it's fair to criticize Activision over this and become diligent with future updates, but this shouldn't mean Crash should be "cancelled" from DLC hype. Crash still has too much going for him to let this kill people's hopes; and there's far worse that either Crash or his brand could be depicted doing to make everyone--Nintendo especially--refuse to have him in Smash, like peeing on key Nintendo personnel or something.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
IDK man, Crash was still a really popular character worldwide (?) even at the time of his Switch port/Smash Ultimate reveal. And hell, maybe his hypothetical 4th/5th fighter inclusion negotiations could have been a bit later in 2018 with the sales of N Sane on Switch? And if this pass is meant to give us wildcards, why not? Keep in mind that Joker's main game is still only available on a competitor's systems, and you still can't play Banjo currently on a modern system that isn't Nintendo's other competitor.

Come to think of it, Japan didn't even need any new Banjo release to be excited for his return as well, so no doubt they could do the same for Crash with his Japan popularity, even if N Sane kinda didn't sell well in Japan at least the first time around...
I don't deny that Crash Bandicoot is popular and has games on the Nintendo Switch, I just don't think he is going to make it for this fighters pass for these two reasons.
1. Activision is apathetic towards the Super Smash Bros series and requires fan requests to motivate them. It took them years to finally respond to fans about getting a new Crash Bandicoot game. It'll probably take them a couple of more years to care about going to Nintendo to put Crash Bandicoot in Smash Bros.
2. Requests are only starting to rise while back before the N.Sane trilogy, he wasn't as popular. If he was popular during the Smash Ballot era (Like Banjo Kazooie, Ridley, King K. Rool, Geno and Sora levels of popular), this would have tremendously helped his chances but due to the state he was in, he didn't receive a lot of requests. Keep in mind that Sakurai has said certain characters were chosen from the ballot such as Simon, King K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie.

I don’t get how you could possibly know that it’s too late. We can’t see what’s going on behind the scenes, or what Activision’s thoughts are on Smash. Obviously we don’t always know a company is interested in Smash before we see their character appear.
Of course we don't know. I'm just assuming what their mindset is based on how they've acted in the past as I have explained above. If Activision were interested in Smash Bros, they would have expressed their interest in an interview similar to other companies like Bethesda or Ubisoft but there are no articles or videos that show that they have an interest in Super Smash Bros.

As for Activision’s support of the Switch, yes, it may be minor in terms of quantity, but the games their releasing are significant and sell well. Regardless, this isn’t a sole indicator of whether we get a character from any given company when we look at companies like Konami. What have they been doing to support the Switch? A handful of anniversary collections and Bomberman R. Not exactly impressive, and yet look at all the love for MGS and CV!
I'm not saying that it is a sole indicator. We have Banjo Kazooie for that matter. Sure Konami hasn't supported the Switch that much but characters like Snake and Simon being requested by fans for years and in the Smash ballot helped a lot. Crash does have years of requests but they weren't as significant as they are now and top that off to Activision's apathy towards the series, I don't think Crash Bandicoot is going to make it for the fighters pass.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
TBF, if anything Activision mentioning Smash like that could raise worry if they were like "oh, we'd LOVE to see Crash in Smash Bros", thus implying they weren't on board with Smash to begin with, unless they're lying under NDA or so.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
TBF, if anything Activision mentioning Smash like that could raise worry if they were like "oh, we'd LOVE to see Crash in Smash Bros", thus implying they weren't on board with Smash to begin with, unless they're lying under NDA or so.
Well it'd still express that they do have interest. Phil Spencer has expressed interest in Banjo & Kazooie being in Super Smash Bros since the ballot days and actually doubled down on his statement in an interview. Pete Hines from Bethesda also gave a simple "Oh yeah" when asked if he talked to Nintendo about Super Smash Bros.

I mean it's not all doom and gloom if the fighters pass does well as we could expect another fighters pass and Crash will probably fare much better than this one as fan support for him will be a lot stronger.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Evil Trapezium said:
Of course we don't know. I'm just assuming what their mindset is based on how they've acted in the past as I have explained above. If Activision were interested in Smash Bros, they would have expressed their interest in an interview similar to other companies like Bethesda or Ubisoft but there are no articles or videos that show that they have an interest in Super Smash Bros.

I'm not saying that it is a sole indicator. We have Banjo Kazooie for that matter. Sure Konami hasn't supported the Switch that much but characters like Snake and Simon being requested by fans for years and in the Smash ballot helped a lot. Crash does have years of requests but they weren't as significant as they are now and top that off to Activision's apathy towards the series, I don't think Crash Bandicoot is going to make it for the fighters pass.
I just want to say that I respect your opinion, but I just feel a bit more optimistic. That said, I do understand that there are things working against Crash’s inclusion.

I just don’t think it necessarily matters that his requests have spiked only recently. Recent or not, Nintendo was sure to take notice. Also, was there always an expressed interest made by a company before their character was added to Smash? No. It would be nice to know if Activision was interested, but I wouldn’t say it really affects his chances without knowing anything else.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I just want to say that I respect your opinion, but I just feel a bit more optimistic. That said, I do understand that there are things working against Crash’s inclusion.

I just don’t think it necessarily matters that his requests have spiked only recently. Recent or not, Nintendo was sure to take notice. Also, was there always an expressed interest made by a company before their character was added to Smash? No. It would be nice to know if Activision was interested, but I wouldn’t say it really affects his chances without knowing anything else.
Just want to point out that I'm not telling it like you should take my word to heart. I could still be wrong about everything I said at the end of the day and I would be happy to be wrong just to see Crash Bandicoot put his long standing rivalry against Mario and Sonic to the test. Like with everything in Smash Bros, nothing is set in stone. I'm just making assumptions based on past experiences.

His recent requests do matter. Like I've said before, Ridley, King K, Rool and Banjo & Kazooie were top rated in the Smash ballot, let alone the massive amounts of requests for them since Melee and that helped them get into Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Crash Bandicoot, he didn't do as well from what I've seen, he wasn't mentioned as much as those three characters. Keep in mind that Nintendo's character projects are made a year in advance before they're officially revealed and the DLC lineup was completed back in November 2018 so it's not like a surge in popularity within a year and a half is going to make Crash Bandicoot appear on Nintendo's radar.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Do you think Crash would get Fake Crash as an alternate character, with F.C using Uka Uka as a mask? I definitely do. It just makes so much sense, and if one of Crash's victory screen animations is his dance, F.C could even do his own dance, since victory animations can be as different as they want (The only real example of this would be the Inklings, where the two have different animations for the Splatshot animation).

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Do you think Crash would get Fake Crash as an alternate character, with F.C using Uka Uka as a mask? I definitely do. It just makes so much sense, and if one of Crash's victory screen animations is his dance, F.C could even do his own dance, since victory animations can be as different as they want (The only real example of this would be the Inklings, where the two have different animations for the Splatshot animation).
I mean, Fake Crash also had his popularity in Japan, and it'd be hilarious to see him join the fight as well, so why not?

SwitchButton

Just want to point out that I'm not telling it like you should take my word to heart. I could still be wrong about everything I said at the end of the day and I would be happy to be wrong just to see Crash Bandicoot put his long standing rivalry against Mario and Sonic to the test. Like with everything in Smash Bros, nothing is set in stone. I'm just making assumptions based on past experiences.

His recent requests do matter. Like I've said before, Ridley, King K, Rool and Banjo & Kazooie were top rated in the Smash ballot, let alone the massive amounts of requests for them since Melee and that helped them get into Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Crash Bandicoot, he didn't do as well from what I've seen, he wasn't mentioned as much as those three characters. Keep in mind that Nintendo's character projects are made a year in advance before they're officially revealed and the DLC lineup was completed back in November 2018 so it's not like a surge in popularity within a year and a half is going to make Crash Bandicoot appear on Nintendo's radar.
Joker didn't even exist during the ballot. Your entire argument is completely invalid. Not to mention that Crash utterly destroys all three of those characters when it comes to actual, natural popularity. Just because he doesn't have as much borderline fake Smashboards push as those three does not mean he isn't highly requested.

N.Sane trilogy came at the perfect time to make him possibly stand out during DLC selection. I mean it singlehandedly triggered a rush of 90's game revivals.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Joker didn't even exist during the ballot. Your entire argument is completely invalid.
Nope. Joker is a corporation pick which is one of the two possibilities of being picked for Smash Bros. The others being Corrin, Inkling, Incineroar, Piranha Plant and Hero. It is clear that he was picked because Sakurai wanted him. There wasn't that much support for Joker because no one thought he was a possibility.

Not to mention that Crash utterly destroys all three of those characters when it comes to actual, natural popularity. Just because he doesn't have as much borderline fake Smashboards push as those three does not mean he isn't highly requested.
"Actual, natural popularity" =/= support for Smash Bros. Not everyone who plays Crash Bandicoot is automatically pushing him for Smash. Characters like Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie are mostly if not all of their fans are dedicated Nintendo fans and have pushed their characters for years to be in Super Smash Bros. More than half of Crash's fanbase are Sony users with the developers favouring Sony with the N.Sane trilogy releasing a year before any other console and Sony getting exclusive content in CTR:NF. He has had less than stellar Smash support over the years.

N.Sane trilogy came at the perfect time to make him possibly stand out during DLC selection. I mean it singlehandedly triggered a rush of 90's game revivals.
While the N.Sane trilogy did incredibly well over in the US and Europe, it tanked in Japan so there is not going to be a very steady stream of support for Crash over there.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
While the N.Sane trilogy did incredibly well over in the US and Europe, it tanked in Japan so there is not going to be a very steady stream of support for Crash over there.
For the initial PS4 release at least, yeah. Did it fare better on the Switch? I remember it being #7 on the eShop at some point and selling some thousand copies or so, so it and currently Nitro-Fueled at least sold alright maybe?

And in terms of at least Japanese reception rather than specifically support, I say if they can be excited for the return of Banjo whose been inactive and non-Nintendo for years, they can certainly also be excited for this Western franchise they held great admiration for if not more so, even having specially developed a couple of the franchise's (extremely less than stellar) handheld titles for a Western.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Nope. Joker is a corporation pick
Every character is a corporation pick. Corporations make the game. Joker got in because his game was a genuinely popular game, albeit a flavor of the month game. He did not need bandwagonning

"Actual, natural popularity" =/= support for Smash Bros. Not everyone who plays Crash Bandicoot is automatically pushing him for Smash. Characters like Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie are mostly if not all of their fans are dedicated Nintendo fans and have pushed their characters for years to be in Super Smash Bros. More than half of Crash's fanbase are Sony users with the developers favouring Sony with the N.Sane trilogy releasing a year before any other console and Sony getting exclusive content in CTR:NF. He has had less than stellar Smash support over the years.
If a character is LEGITIMATELY popular then that inherently gives them Smash Brothers appeal. That's more important then all 4 people that cried for a decade over some extremely niche character. Crash is a HUGE icon in all of gaming. He transcends platform. Nintendo fans ADORE him and I can promise you that Crash has more Nintendo fans then Ridley, K.Rool, and Banjo. Especially Ridley and Banjo considering Nintendo fans don't even BUY their games.
Let me put it another way: Nobody talks about Banjo, K.Rool, or Ridley outside of Smash roster bickering. Meanwhile Crash is one of the most iconic characters in all of gaming despite not being in the game.

Crash is famous for being unquestionably popular in Japan. He's one of the few western gaming mascots to actually succeed and become MASSIVE in Japan. The N.Sane trilogy sold great over there.

Honestly? You have let the circlejerk of this TINY insular website cloud your perspective.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
I agree with Door Key Pig. Fake Crash was so popular in Japan that in their version of Crash Bash, he was added in for the sake of having more of those live action costume videos. F.C. also got some of these videos in CTR. The rivalry between Crash and F.C. out here in America is hardly acknowledged; only CTR and Nitro Fueled have ever even hinted at it. Heck, the only time F.C. was actually shown being a bad guy (on purpose) was in Skylanders, and even then he was just being...himself. It would probably be a huge misstep to not include F.C. , even if N. Sane Trilogy didn't do as well in Japan.

In addition, why miss an opportunity to represent multiple characters/forms? As of now, every Fighter Pass character (Banjo probably won't imo) has gotten special treatment.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium regarding the N. Sane trilogy in Japan, this needs to be pointed out: it's a straight up translation of the western Crash trilogy, which is a huge difference from what Japan originally got in the 90's. The Japanese Crash games were tailored to Japan with different music, bonus content, and other things that the western audience NEVER got despite being Crash's home demographic. N. Sane Trilogy is simply not the Crash they remember growing up with, but he was no doubt a phenomenon back in the day, which is outstanding because western titles couldn't crack that market no matter how hard they tried. If Miyamoto's offering to head hunt and buy your studio right from under Sony's nose, you know you're doing a lot right.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
There's just so much incredible potential when it comes to a Crash Bandicoot moveset. Just from the first three Crash platformers on PS1 and CTR, there is a plethora of ways the developers can make Crash interesting and fun- perhaps a meter of sorts where he then gets to wear Aku Aku briefly, and it works as a Deep Breathing-esque mechanic.

I think that would be neat- I keep daydreaming about this, figured I'd make a post. It would be so great to have this character in Smash Bros, PS1 and N64/GC were my childhood.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Every character is a corporation pick. Corporations make the game. Joker got in because his game was a genuinely popular game, albeit a flavor of the month game. He did not need bandwagonning
I say a corporation pick as an influence for Joker's inclusion. Sure you could look at every character as a corporation pick but some characters wouldn't have got in if were not for the fans of Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie no matter how niche you think they are nor how much you think no one talks about them outside of Smash.

Crash would undoubtedly be influenced by fan requests because unlike Square Enix's Dragon Quest series, Activision doesn't need help in getting Crash Bandicoot out there. Activision has already been successful with the N.Sane trilogy and Crash Team Racing; Nitro Fueled so there isn't much of a reason for them to approach Nintendo to include Crash in Smash on their own. Fan requests would be the reason Crash gets into Smash bros but because his popularity surged more recently than most characters, I don't think he has a chance at being in this Fighters Pass. In a second one, definitely but since the dlc lineup was complete in November 2018 and the N.Sane Trilogy released on the Switch back in June 2018, that doesn't really leave Crash Bandicoot a lot of room to be included and by then, Activision already knew the N.Sane trilogy was popular enough on it's own.

If a character is LEGITIMATELY popular then that inherently gives them Smash Brothers appeal. That's more important then all 4 people that cried for a decade over some extremely niche character. Crash is a HUGE icon in all of gaming. He transcends platform. Nintendo fans ADORE him and I can promise you that Crash has more Nintendo fans then Ridley, K.Rool, and Banjo. Especially Ridley and Banjo considering Nintendo fans don't even BUY their games.
Let me put it another way: Nobody talks about Banjo, K.Rool, or Ridley outside of Smash roster bickering. Meanwhile Crash is one of the most iconic characters in all of gaming despite not being in the game.
If you learn anything from the Banjo vs Steve debacle, you'd know that being cool and happening doesn't guarantee you a spot in the roster. Steve is from the best selling video game of all time and he was still out matched by the fan requests for Banjo & Kazooie. You have characters like R.O.B, Mr Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, etc. who are from series that are past their prime and they still get in before any popular characters like Rex, Rhythm Heaven or Waluigi.

Keep in mind that Crash Bandicoot has been on the down low before the N.Sane trilogy came out so he was just as niche at that point as the other characters you call niche. As soon as Naughty Dog left the series, the Crash series suffered because of it and if it wasn't for the requests from fans to remake the games, you wouldn't be seeing Crash Bandicoot come back so you can thank "all 4 of the people that cried for a decade over some extremely niche character" for giving Crash a second chance to shine. It's thanks to them that he is a "HUGE icon" once again.

Crash is famous for being unquestionably popular in Japan. He's one of the few western gaming mascots to actually succeed and become MASSIVE in Japan. The N.Sane trilogy sold great over there.
For the initial PS4 release at least, yeah. Did it fare better on the Switch? I remember it being #7 on the eShop at some point and selling some thousand copies or so, so it and currently Nitro-Fueled at least sold alright maybe?
Now I admit, I did not think this comment through so I'll let you have this one. I was thinking mostly about it's initial PlayStation 4 release of the N.Sane Trilogy rather than overall sales.

And in terms of at least Japanese reception rather than specifically support, I say if they can be excited for the return of Banjo whose been inactive and non-Nintendo for years, they can certainly also be excited for this Western franchise they held great admiration for if not more so, even having specially developed a couple of the franchise's (extremely less than stellar) handheld titles for a Western.
Again, I don't doubt that Crash Bandicoot is popular and would have worldwide appeal but it takes Nintendo a while to notice a trend in popularity. I just don't think Nintendo will be quick enough to get Crash Bandicoot in this fighters pass.

Last edited:
Top Bottom