• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, now we're entering the final day or so of the Nitro Tour Grand Prix. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get the rest of the Pit Stop stuff that's exclusive to it in time, so I presume that it won't come back in circulation until a few months later. Still, here's to hoping we get prompt news on the start of Back N. Time as soon as it's over with.

In the meantime, an art dump to celebrate this.

EAWqwFaXkAIG0cn.jpg

EAXktarWsAEpNBA.jpg

EAbyIesXUAE-RPN.jpg

EAVi-Q1XoAASbuA.jpg

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
In any case, nothing guarantees that Crash would get in, as much sense as it would make. Especially if the current FP keeps up the pattern of characters people wouldn't necessarily want at the end of a character reveal chain. :jigglypuff64::falcon64::ness64::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee::wolf::rob::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4corrin::4bayonetta::ultincineroar::ultpiranha:
Well to be fair, there probably has never been as many eyes on Smash as there are currently especially when you consider the rampant advertising of both the game and the FP. I don't remember advertising for Smash 4 DLC at all apart from Nintendo Directs. It would be extremely in-opportunistic on Nintendo's part to not capitalize on this attention by deciding to end with a bang. Granted, I could certainly be wrong and Crash might not even be that bang, but he is one of the few huge characters left. He's also THE largest titular character of a franchise that has yet to be included, which furthers his chances IMHO. For example, I would suggest Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed are more recognizable to a general audience than Jill Valentine and Ezio respectively. We'll just have to see I suppose...

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Well to be fair, there probably has never been as many eyes on Smash as there are currently especially when you consider the rampant advertising of both the game and the FP. I don't remember advertising for Smash 4 DLC at all apart for Nintendo Directs. It would be extremely in-opportunistic on Nintendo's part to not capitalize on this attention by deciding to end with a bang. Granted, I could certainly be wrong and Crash might not even be that bang, but he is one of the few huge characters left. He's also THE largest titular character of a franchise that has yet to be included, which furthers his chances IMHO. For example, I would suggest Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed are more recognizable to a general audience than Jill Valentine and Ezio respectively. We'll just have to see I suppose...
I wonder if maybe there could be a niche first party thrown in there at the end like Corrin, like if Nintendo wanted at least one new franchise of theirs in and it would help with the extreme costs, maybe one that couldn't make base game because of the prioritised ballot winners and new favourites that had to take up the limited slots to promote the game well, while they could throw in a more niche character at/near the end that's also a financially viable position because it's along for the ride as part of a package deal with much bigger characters, as opposed to being a standalone DLC that can only sell on its own.

Though I wouldn't blame them for going the all BIG characters route either, that's also pretty interesting and profitable. Heck, with how much promotion and hopefully resultant success the FP DLC is getting, CGI trailers and in-store DLC cards, maybe they'd be financially more open to another wave of DLC with perhaps less manpower and finance needed, though one must keep expectations reasonable.

So speaking as one not too familiar with her character, could they honestly get away with Dixie Kong being an echo of Duddy? I hear their abilities are too different to do it justice, but if she was Ken levels of unique could it work? I don't know if that's what Sakurai would have wanted when originally envisioning her and Diddy as a tag team in Brawl, but maybe she could have that gun she uses in Returns instead of Diddy's, helicopter hair for up special, throws where she uses her hair to have grabbed the opponent and some attacks using her hair?
EDIT: Whoops, that was a bit of a general question for the Crash thread so Ima post it over there.

Last edited:

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
There is a difference between who I want and who I think will be in. Who I want: Waluigi and Crash. I will take Steve in place of Crash but I prefer crash. Who I think will get in: Crash amd Doomguy. Add me.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I only did enough of the tour to get every character. I just have too many games to sing into getting everything.(FF14, Marvel, and more)

Have we heard anything about the next set? Pictures or videos of baby crash and Coco?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>detractors' faces when the next Grand Prix happens :p

I only did enough of the tour to get every character. I just have too many games to sing into getting everything.(FF14, Marvel, and more)

Have we heard anything about the next set? Pictures or videos of baby crash and Coco?
Not yet, I'm still waiting for the Nitro Tour itself to end in less than 10 hours. And I missed Biker Tiny...

Baby Crash?
Basically, a baby version of Crash based on the Baby Crash skin in CTTR, and one of the endings in the DS version of Crash of the Titans, apparently.

isn't baby crash and baby coco in the next event?
Don't mind him, he's just puzzled.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I wonder if maybe there could be a niche first party thrown in there at the end like Corrin, like if Nintendo wanted at least one new franchise of theirs in and it would help with the extreme costs, maybe one that couldn't make base game because of the prioritised ballot winners and new favourites that had to take up the limited slots to promote the game well, while they could throw in a more niche character at/near the end that's also a financially viable position because it's along for the ride as part of a package deal with much bigger characters, as opposed to being a standalone DLC that can only sell on its own.

Though I wouldn't blame them for going the all BIG characters route either, that's also pretty interesting and profitable. Heck, with how much promotion and hopefully resultant success the FP DLC is getting, CGI trailers and in-store DLC cards, maybe they'd be financially more open to another wave of DLC with perhaps less manpower and finance needed, though one must keep expectations reasonable.
It would’ve been very misleading of Nintendo if it turns out that we’re getting someone like a Three Houses or Gen 8 rep. Reggie said Joker was an example of how they were approaching DLC: Someone you would not anticipate to be in Smash. To me this would mean that we can expect maybe obscure first party characters or third party characters. I’m not sure how else that can be interpreted. It would be extremely odd to me if they were to go against this.

As for a second fighter pass, yes, it’s important to keep our expectations in check. While it may be profitable it may simply also be the case that the devs don’t want to work on characters for another year or longer. If we were to get a second FP though, and Crash didn’t make it for the first one, I think we can almost guarantee that he’ll make it provided they don’t state that it’s only for first party characters or something.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is it really misleading if the first-party characters that could get included are newcomers that were never playable in Smash in the first place?

No one said they'd just be characters from new series, just that the characters themselves are new. Yet the influx of third-parties we recently got lead people to assume nothing but new series is the case.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
It would’ve been very misleading of Nintendo if it turns out that we’re getting someone like a Three Houses or Gen 8 rep. Reggie said Joker was an example of how they were approaching DLC: Someone you would not anticipate to be in Smash. To me this would mean that we can expect maybe obscure first party characters or third party characters. I’m not sure how else that can be interpreted. It would be extremely odd to me if they were to go against this.

As for a second fighter pass, yes, it’s important to keep our expectations in check. While it may be profitable it may simply also be the case that the devs don’t want to work on characters for another year or longer. If we were to get a second FP though, and Crash didn’t make it for the first one, I think we can almost guarantee that he’ll make it provided they don’t state that it’s only for first party characters or something.
I mean, if it'd be developers who'd have the power in making that decision over Nintendo execs themselves, sure.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Is it really misleading if the first-party characters that could get included are newcomers that were never playable in Smash in the first place?

No one said they'd just be characters from new series, just that the characters themselves are new. Yet the influx of third-parties we recently got lead people to assume nothing but new series is the case.
He said that they would be characters that we would NOT anticipate to be added in addition to saying they would be new. Why wouldn’t we anticipate some sort of 1st party new game advertisement rep? They’ve always done that.

Look at 3:19:

I mean, if it'd be developers who'd have the power in making that decision over Nintendo execs themselves, sure.
I’m not 100% on how that works, but I didn’t think Nintendo could force Sakurai and co. to work indefinitely. Was I mistaken? Wouldn’t there have been some sort of deal made beforehand?

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I got a list of songs for crash if he comes to smash bros(it's a mix of naughty dog and N. Sane trilogy)
1:N. Sanity Beach(Crash Bandicoot 1,Naughty Dog Version)
2:Hog Wild(Crash Bandicoot 1,Naughty Dog Version)
3:Cortex Boss(Crash Bandicoot 1,Naughty Dog Version)
4:Un-Bearable(Cortex strikes back,Naughty Dog Version)
5:Komodo Bros. Boss(Cortex strikes back,N. Sane Trilogy Version)
6:Cortex Boss(Cortex strikes back,Naughty Dog Version)
7:Tiny Boss(Cortex strikes back,Naughty Dog Version)
8:Medieval (Warped,Naughty Dog Version)
9:Future Frenzy(Warped,N. Sane Trilogy Version)
10:Dr. N. Tropy Boss(Warped,N. Sane Trilogy Version)
so do you think.

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Can't believe I've never posted here before (I mean, I don't think I have, anyway). Long story short, I'm a big Crash fan. Been a big Crash fan since I was, like, three or four. I'd love to see him in Smash Bros. Please add me to the support list.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I got a list of songs for crash if he comes to smash bros(it's a mix of naughty dog and N. Sane trilogy)
so do you think.
A fine list, though personally, I’d throw in Dingodile’s theme from Warped as it is one of the more iconic boss themes in the series, so much so that it was reused in Crash Bash

MisterMike

Smash Champion
so do you think.
Cool list. Personally, I'd go with the following:
1 - N. Sanity Beach (N. Sane Ver. or New Remix)
2 - Boulders (N. Sane Ver.)
3 - Papu Papu (N. Sane Ver.)
4 - Turtle Woods (N. Sane Ver.)
5 - Road to Ruin (N. Sane Ver.)
6 - Tiny Tiger (Crash 2) (N. Sane Ver.)
7 - Piston It Away (N. Sane Ver.)
8 - Dingodile Theme (N. Sane Ver.)
9 - Future Frenzy (N. Sane Ver.)
10 - Dr. Neo Cortex (Crash 3) (N. Sane Ver. or New Remix)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
N. Brio, Nina, and Komodo Moe confirmed for the next Grand Prix after the baby one.

https://blog.activision.com/crash-b...-Crash-Team-Racing-Nitro-Fueled-on-August-2nd

I'm probably gonna pass on the baby Grand Prix (since I'll be busy with Three Houses and I think the two babies look weird) but I'm so going all-in for N. Brio and Nina.

Glad to see official confirmation for all those three at last. I do wonder if Baby Cortex and Tropy either are coming later or got scrapped though.

Edit: Welp, never mind, I guess! They're in it: https://crashynews.wordpress.com/20...ncluded-in-the-back-n-time-grand-prix-season/

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Gotta say, it's hilarious seeing people freak out over Nitro-Fueled getting microtransactions. This game had a ton of content at launch that everything else just feels like a bonus. Not to mention it is ridiculously easy to grind for all of new the characters. Nitro-Fueled is extremely generous with its free content especially when compared to other games.

Yes I'm looking at you Street Fighter V.

D

Deleted member

Gotta say, it's hilarious seeing people freak out over Nitro-Fueled getting microtransactions. This game had a ton of content at launch that everything else just feels like a bonus. Not to mention it is ridiculously easy to grind for all of new the characters. Nitro-Fueled is extremely generous with its free content especially when compared to other games.

Yes I'm looking at you Street Fighter V.
Microtransactions got revealed?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Microtransactions got revealed?
Yep.

https://blog.activision.com/crash-b...-Crash-Team-Racing-Nitro-Fueled-on-August-2nd
As always, the Pit Stop will be stocked with new and returning characters and cosmetic items, which players can unlock using Wumpa Coins*. With all this content available, there will also now be a way for players to fast-track their Wumpa Coin collection if they like. Starting in early August, players will have the option to purchase Wumpa Coin bundles from their game console stores to supplement the Coins they earn by playing. This option won’t change the game’s core mechanics – players will still earn Wumpa Coins by playing the game in any mode, just as before. They will just able to purchase additional coins if they choose.
Unless they get rid of things like extra coins on weekends and such I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yep.

Unless they get rid of things like extra coins on weekends and such I don't think it's that big of a deal.
People freak out over an optional paying option? Unbelievable. :facepalm:

A lesser-known game like Let It Die does it, barely anyone blinks an eye, a high-profile game does it, everyone loses their minds. It's like people want to get extorted by companies, from how used they are to some other ones abusing them with P2W tactics.

I for one don't take the lazy way out.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
People freak out over an optional paying option? Unbelievable. :facepalm:
It's pretty disturbing that you don't see the issue with this. A remake of a highly beloved game baiting people into microtransactions AND paid online by intentionally gimping the online coin payout and gimping the offline payout to near nothing. This is like if Mario Odyssey introduced the option to buy Moons with real life money. There's no excuse. It's pure vile filth and you can't think otherwise without being part of the problem. When does the money grubbing end? When you run out of money? Enjoy the streets.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Honestly, I’m just about sick of speculation at this point. I just want to know who the last two are already so we can move on... I’m constantly bouncing back and forth between being certain he’s in to trying to convince myself why it’s okay if he isn’t (and it will be okay everyone, but then also kind of not lol). It’s driving me crazy! In the end it will definitely be sad if he doesn’t make this one since it’s likely we may never again see this many iconic characters together in one place. Sometimes I wonder if I should just count myself lucky I got B&K. I don’t want to get too greedy... One thing that does make me hopeful is when Nintendo stated during the Crash Trilogy for Switch announcement that this was once thought to be impossible until now. They recognize the significance of the moment. It also fits with Reggie saying the FP would have characters we wouldn’t anticipate. Make the impossible happen again Nintendo.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
by intentionally gimping the online coin payout and gimping the offline payout to near nothing.
They haven't said anything about lowering the current coin rate and the current way of getting coins really isn't that bad. I played both offline/online for about 3-4 hours a day, and in just 2 days I earned enough coins to get the 4 trophy girls while still having coins to spare. Keep in mind that I almost never placed in the top 3 during online races.

If they truly nerf the amount of coins you earn then I'll start getting annoyed over this. Considering how generous this game has been especially when compared to other in-game money type of games, they'd have to go to SFV levels of really nerfing their in-game currency for it to have any effect on me.

This is like if Mario Odyssey introduced the option to buy Moons with real life money.
Bad comparison since the Moons in Odyssey are required for game progression, whereas all the things you can get via wumpa coins are purely cosmetic and have no effect towards game completion. Even the additional characters (which don't cost that much to begin with) are all technically just reskins since there are only 4 types of stats in the game (beginner, turn, speed, and acceleration).

Considering how this game launched with more than enough content (all the CTR AND Nitro Kart stages for free?!?!?!), everything else just feels like a bonus. To be more specific, more like bonuses that I can get without spending a penny on unless I was obsessed with owning every decal for some reason.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So Jim made a video about this. I didnt like how grindy the game qas and now i see why they did it. I was praising how they were releasing all this free content but now i see its either free if you grind all day, which i do not have the time to do, or paid in a scummy post launch update. I only blaim Activision for this, they are the assholes that do this. The actual developers probably had no choice but to do this ****.

**** you Activision. Now i hope you dont getcrash in for being a scummy company

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
**** you Activision. Now i hope you dont getcrash in for being a scummy company
In all fairness, Konami, maybe to a lesser extent Capcom and Microsoft? aren't exactly the most kindhearted companies in gaming...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
In all fairness, Konami, maybe to a lesser extent Capcom and Microsoft? aren't exactly the most kindhearted companies in gaming...
Konami was pretty scummy for awhile, though recently they do seem to be turning it around. Plus Castlevania is such a huge NES game. And none of those companies are doing what ea and Activision are doing with microtransactions, lootboxes, and other predatory systems in there game. Capcom in fact have outright said they would never do something like ctr is doing in monster hunter(pay for less grinding for mats) because it would destroy the core of the game and take away the fun.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Capcom in fact have outright said they would never do something like ctr is doing in monster hunter(pay for less grinding for mats) because it would destroy the core of the game and take away the fun.
The thing is Capcom did this exact thing with Street Fighter V.

SFV launched at $60 with almost no content, not even an arcade mode which is a staple of literally every fighter. The main gimmick of the game was that you could buy characters/stages with in-game fight money, but the prices for characters are insanely high. For each online win you earn 50 FM, and each new character costs 100,000 FM. So to get a new character you'd have to win 2,000 matches. Yes there were some ways to get extra FM like by doing each character's story, but when the arcade edition launched Capcom went out of their way to remove all those old ways of farming FM. All the character story and survival mode FM rewards were completely removed and the weekly challenges went down from 5,000 FM to a mere 50 FM (when this happened I just quit the game).

I know this is the third time I've trashed on SFV on this page alone, but it really is the prime example of how not to run an in-game money system. I'm not defending Activision for adding microtransactions into NF (in fact it was super scummy of them to not publicly announce it on launch), but my whole point is that Nitro-Fueled's way of in-game currency is nowhere near as bad as other games. Even when you don't compare NF to anything else, earning coins isn't that bad and I think this whole thing is getting really overblown.

D

Deleted member

There are modern game masterpieces with microtransactions included which don’t really harm the game at all, tbh.

Some examples are God Of War 4 or Uncharted 4.

If the microtransactions are as decently pulled as in those games, I won’t really mind their presence.

Top Bottom