• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bandicoot Returns (and It's About Time!) Crash's Nitro-Fueled Smash Thread

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'd like to be taken off the Supporter's list. I'm actually not supporting Crash or Spyro in Smash.
Not to say that's not something you can do, or that it's wrong in any way at all, but I just have to say that this is literally the first time I've ever seen this happen lol.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I've commented on this forum a few times before. Unless I'm mistaken; I've not stated that I support him to be in Smash. I don't want to seem like I dislike Crash or anything. However, it would be strange to be listed as a Supporter to a character I'm not supporting. No offense.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am currently playing through Crash 1 for the first time, via N. Sane Trilogy. I am nearly finished collecting the remaining gems. Playing this game feels like a special experience. Even though the game controls like an average licensed platformer, the difficult levels are extremely fun and keep me coming back for more. I feel a strong emotional connection whenever I play it now. I would legitimately like to see Crash Bandicoot in Smash. Now I can truly understand why the series was so popular back in the 90s and why Crash is a popular request for Smash Ultimate. I support.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hello again, everyone! Got another moveset idea for our mutant marsupial. Shall I begin?

Forward Tilt: Wumpa Whirlwind

Crash begins his Tilt by rotating with his arm extended, swinging it forcefully to hit foes while turning. The strength of the punch is slightly below average in terms of knockback but reliable.

Then, using that same momentum from the rotation, Crash follows up with an immediate kick that has slightly more power than his initial punch. Pressing the Forward Tilt input results in the 2 strikes you see above in one swift motion. It is both quick and decently strong, boasting enough force to push foes away with a level of speed that can catch enemies by surprise. However, if you're not satisfied the attack doesn't end here...

In fact, if you press the Attack Button before the animation ends, Crash will transition into a handstand pose, perform a split while his legs stay airborne and.....

Spins his lower body in a cyclone, creating a Wumpa Whirlwind! It seems that somehow, Crash is able to defy physics/reality and spin select bodyparts like a tornado at will! How is this possible?! It seems Taz isn't the only one able to boast powers like these, and Crash puts it to good use in Smash Bros.! With this move, Crash is able to whirl his legs indefinitely as long as you hold A--making this a sort of Pseudo-Infinite Jab--but of course there's a drawback: this move has no finisher. His punch and kick actually make for a good way to end the move, but since those hits are how the attack sequence starts, they can't be used to end it. Once you're done whirling, he simply stops.

Although it follows the game plan of an Infinite Jab, it is at the end of the day a tilt and so doesn't get that final perk. This shouldn't weigh Crash down too much, as this move is optional and best used if you wanna secure some extra damage OR, if a foe is pressed between a barrier and a potential whirlwind. This move, along with his Up Tilt and Neutral Special are the only Tornado attacks Crash has in my moveset; while the UTilt is inspired by Crash 2 (from the PSX), this is actually inspired by Crash's Skylanders moveset. The main difference is that he transitions into a partial tornado after a punch and kick here while a full one in the source material.

Hope y'all like. I know Crash is known for spinning so I wanted to make a couple ideas with it besides his obvious attack, but aside from his Neutral Special and 2/3 Tilts I'm not gonna have any. I gotta give that Skylanders game credit though; I had a hard time believing Crash could fight--even with the Titans games--but they showed it looking pretty in-character for him, so I wanted to make something inspired by it. See y'all later.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Hey we're talking about the guy who can spin on monkey bars despite his arms clearly holding onto them normally here!

Yeah he should totally use his spinning in different attacks, maybe that's really bring out his uniqueness and spinning ability.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Has anyone brought up the bazooka he gets in three?
That could be one of his attacks, maybe a special? I could see his main special and other moves involving spinning, maybe up to the death tornado and its fall slowing. His slide could easily be the run smash attack, and his bellyflop could be his down aireal or special. Add in crate throwing and maybe a recovery involving his jetpack as specials and you've got yourself a faithful moveset that also encompasses all the Crash 3 powerups.

Also, if this does happen and it has an animated trailer, wouldn't it be great if Crash was joined by other characters like Snake, Mario, Sonic, Ryu and others in doing Crash's dance?

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/soyungnomo/art/Super-Smash-Brothers-ULTIMATE-E3-2018-749411590

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Would the thrusting be too much for this game in this day and age? Like didn’t they change it in the remake.

Like Smash is trying to get away from any thing subjective , The black hole under the dress, the sizing down of Samus’s chest and Snake’s but

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Would the thrusting be too much for this game in this day and age? Like didn’t they change it in the remake.

Like Smash is trying to get away from any thing subjective , The black hole under the dress, the sizing down of Samus’s chest and Snake’s but
It's actually completely intact in N-Sane. There's a lot of reasons why it'll probably remain:

Smash will be rated at least E10+ anyways (might even be T thanks to Bayo and Snake)

Mario Strikers Charged was allowed to have Waluigi's far more blatant thrusting with an E10+

Sakurai already mentioned it was a pain to adhere to ESRB's censorship for Smash 4 and nearly led to a delayed release

Activision might push them to retain the thrusting since it's iconic to Crash

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Well thrusting here was made less blatant as Crash now runs in spot instead of just standing and... thrusting the air. Coco also does it! And she's like what, eight?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well thrusting here was made less blatant as Crash now runs in spot instead of just standing and... thrusting the air. Coco also does it! And she's like what, eight?
I'd say she's around 13, given her Remastered model.

But yeah, this isn't going to be a Kyuranger situation where parents get worried about it, especially if Crash gets in as DLC.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1021937136906395649?s=19

FINALLY got news on an October release date for Japan's Switch N Sane port and... its being released by Sega?

Huh.
This is definitely interesting, as it makes you wonder who would Nintendo have to go through to negotiate for Crash in Smash. Since Sega is already on board, maybe they can act as a contact between Nintendo and Activision?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
He's getting a dlc slot for sure if Japan loves him

And I guess sega is adopting crash from Sony now I guess
If Sony can adopt Banjo for their toy thing, Sega can adopt Crash!

Japan DID love Crash, though N Sane was initially a flop over there in its PS4 release, but hopefully that can change this time around...
(Seeing as we got new costumed Crash ads for N Sane., it'd be cool if they were to bring back Japan costume Crash ads)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That could be one of his attacks, maybe a special? I could see his main special and other moves involving spinning, maybe up to the death tornado and its fall slowing. His slide could easily be the run smash attack, and his bellyflop could be his down aireal or special. Add in crate throwing and maybe a recovery involving his jetpack as specials and you've got yourself a faithful moveset that also encompasses all the Crash 3 powerups.

Also, if this does happen and it has an animated trailer, wouldn't it be great if Crash was joined by other characters like Snake, Mario, Sonic, Ryu and others in doing Crash's dance?

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/soyungnomo/art/Super-Smash-Brothers-ULTIMATE-E3-2018-749411590
There's no way a Crash trailer doesn't start in the jungle with DK. Perhaps him wandering through it and the usual bananas and barrels slowly turn into Wumpa fruit and crates, before Crash shows up.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
As of now, I wouldn't mind seeing Crash as an Assist Trophy. Obviously, he would use his signature spin attack, and maybe footstool players. I think he at least deserves that much, since he was quite popular back in the day, and that his games are being brought to the Switch.
My jimmies would rustle from having my favorite video game character being in Smash as an AT

It was pretty easy. I have basically embodied the Crash controls in my brain and body after playing several time trials.
Holy hell, even I played Crash as a kid and there were some levels I could BARELY even get passed on the PS4. Just HOW did you even finish it?

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I started playing Crash 2 this morning. The controls feel a lot tighter, and I love to sliding, jumping, and spinning quickly to gain speed and height. Though, it kind of makes the levels that go backwards like the boulder levels a lot more frustrating to do when it comes to time trials. :/

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey we're talking about the guy who can spin on monkey bars despite his arms clearly holding onto them normally here!

Yeah he should totally use his spinning in different attacks, maybe that's really bring out his uniqueness and spinning ability.
Oh yeah! I remember that blowing my mind as a kid in Crash 2 & 3 LOL. Some detractors say "All Crash can do is spin" but they don't realize there's a lot of ways you can play with that idea. Turning certain parts of his body into a tornado sounds like something he'd definitely do; that and circular movements for attacks doesn't sound out of character either.

Has anyone brought up the bazooka he gets in three?
Yea, it seems that most people have it as a Special, which makes sense IMO.

I'd say she's around 13, given her Remastered model.
She comes off as 11 at most to me in the remaster but that's just me. She seems like a teenager in Nitro Kart onwards but this current Coco's still got the childish charm here, which is nice.

If Sony can adopt Banjo for their toy thing, Sega can adopt Crash!

Japan DID love Crash, though N Sane was initially a flop over there in its PS4 release, but hopefully that can change this time around...
(Seeing as we got new costumed Crash ads for N Sane., it'd be cool if they were to bring back Japan costume Crash ads)
I'm not too surprised it was a flop TBH. Don't get me wrong I loved it, it's well-crafted and I usually don't buy remasters, but from what I gather of the original Japanese version, ND went above and beyond to cater to Japan with their localized version by giving them exclusive content while VV seems to have mostly just translated the American/European version into Japanese. I'm not 100% sure, but does the Japan N.ST have the Japanese tracks? Or the Aku-Aku voice acting from the 1st game? If it's a straight up translation they probably won't see it as a recreation of the series they loved the way they remembered it.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I've been playing through the Nsane trilogy on the Switch. Near the end of Crash 2. I've been aiming to "mostly complete" the games. I'm not going to obsess over platinum relics and will mostly aim to atleast get sapphire relics for all levels.

I've been enjoying it so far, some gameplay/controls quirks aside.

As for Crash in Smash, he's not exactly one of my most wanted, but I'd be okay with inclusion and he'd be a nice fit for Smash.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Not sure what the Japanese consensus is on having Crash as a character, but if it suddenly became a popular suggestion after his revival in the west, whose to say it can't if the Japanese Switch port does good over there?

So, more than ever before when I say this.

Don't screw this up, Sega.

Also... Are we sure Crash is getting released to Xbox in Japan as well or is it just the Switch and previous PS4 releases?

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Not sure what the Japanese consensus is on having Crash as a character, but if it suddenly became a popular suggestion after his revival in the west, whose to say it can't if the Japanese Switch port does good over there?

So, more than ever before when I say this.

Don't screw this up, Sega.

Also... Are we sure Crash is getting released to Xbox in Japan as well or is it just the Switch and previous PS4 releases?
Sega are they porting Crash to the switch

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sega are they porting Crash to the switch
They're the publisher for the Japanese release of the Switch version. However, we don't really know how much control Sega has over the release, exactly. As pointed out earlier, Sony and VV just did a straight translation job on the PS4 release, compared to ND's extra bells and whistles provided to the Japanese releases of the original PS games, so we'll see what happens.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
They're the publisher for the Japanese release of the Switch version. However, we don't really know how much control Sega has over the release, exactly. As pointed out earlier, Sony and VV just did a straight translation job on the PS4 release, compared to ND's extra bells and whistles provided to the Japanese releases of the original PS games, so we'll see what happens.
If anything gets added it will be something with amiib

It’s Crash, if shovel knight gets an amiibo

Last edited:

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
I support fully. If Crash gets into Smash (HAHA I made a Rhyme) I'd try to main him as soon as he is part of the Roster.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Do yall agree on the idea that Crash can only be in Smash with Spyro in there too or something? Like yeah they're sister franchises but Spyro never went outside Nintendo's building with a megaphone talking about the PlayStation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do yall agree on the idea that Crash can only be in Smash with Spyro in there too or something? Like yeah they're sister franchises but Spyro never went outside Nintendo's building with a megaphone talking about the PlayStation.
Maybe, but one factor to consider is that unlike Crash, Spyro was never globally recognized due to his first game or so having been butchered in the transition to Japan (resulting in every other one never having been exported there since), so unless he has a massive cult fanbase, Spyro may not make it.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
If Spyro got in it would be a 2 for one sort of deal, cheaper liscensing for more potential profits.

Crash and Spyro would be ideal, but crash must come first.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Spyro needs the 2for1 (unfortunately) but Crash doesn't. As has been pointed out Crash got a Japanese following with their translation, and Crash was pushed as the direct rival thanks to the series being more similar to Mario and Sonic, while Spyro is more like B&K/DK collectathons (with just a little less collecting :p ).

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
A 2 for 1 (Spyro as the negotiating additive, not Crash) might actually be fairly likely if Reignited pulls similar numbers to N-Sane, especially in Japan (and especially on Switch. It's been leaked twice, it's happening).

Then again, Crash himself probably won't come until DLC. We'll see if Sakurai and co. would be willing to devote two characters worth of post-launch resources to represent the same company. It's also very possible that the 2 for 1 would be getting a Spyro AT as a bonus for Crash ala Bomberman for Snake returning.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Activision will do a giveaway of 3 different Crash themed Nintendo Switches.

https://twitter.com/Motwera/status/1023617646577766405?s=19

At this point, I'm okay with Crash hitting DLC since it is possible Sakurai considered him after making the official roster while making some DLC candidates.

I'm gonna say no for this one. And that's mostly due to Spyro never really having a rival plus his star power isn't as strong as Crash was. To me, Skylanders killed his name and now they're trying to revive him. So I'd say Spyro may just show up as a guest AT similar to how Bomberman was (and I'm still exploding in my mind over Bomb being AT instead of playable)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Okay sorry for the double post here, but seems like no one's making a comment

At this point, I think it's safe to say that Crash is gonna hit the DLC roster. And it would be cool if we get Geno and Crash revealed in the same Direct or trailer

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Okay sorry for the double post here, but seems like no one's making a comment

At this point, I think it's safe to say that Crash is gonna hit the DLC roster. And it would be cool if we get Geno and Crash revealed in the same Direct or trailer
Same trailer seems unlikely; the only double reveals that come to mind are from the same series, like Simon and Richter or Robin and Lucina.

Getting them both revealed in the same Direct would be great, though.

Top Bottom