• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Auto-Snap Alternative

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone tried to telecancel to the edge from the air or platforms? I'm just curious to see if anyone has done that. Is there a name for that technique?

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
don't know if there's a name for it, but yeah it's possible. The easiest way is to attempt it as you would before but make sure you're spaced just far enoguh from the edge that your full teleport ends by it and she'll snap to the edge simply by being in proximity to it. It doesn't give you flawless intangibility like it did before, but it's in keeping with most other Up bs that snap to the ledge. There are decent enough markers to look for to help with your spacing on most stages (just towards inner stage of the star on dreamland, for ex.), but even without markers it isn't the hardest spacing to eyeball, especially if you're used to aiming your teleport anyways. I'm not really a technical player either, so since I've managed to use it decently in combat, I think it's definitely still a viable AT.

You can of course, shorten your teleport to end near the ledge so you can start closer to the ledge, but that is probably more difficult and risky than it's worth when you can probably just grab the edge normally at near the same speed.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
I was actually doing this before I realized that the autosnap was a thing. You just need to know the timing and how fast Zelda is moving within the teleport. Given that you're close enough to the ledge, you have about a 4-5 frame window to press b and get the ledge. You do have one frame where you're vulnerable, but after that you'll grab the ledge. Just practice with it for a while, it'll be fairly easy after some time.

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
It is fairly easy. It's significantly more difficult to pull off from the ground though.

The best part is that if you mess up early, you can still do a swag as **** Wind Cancel. It's so lenient that it's very hard to be late.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Is the Tele-snap something similar to that or is it a completely different technique?
With Telesnap you would use Farore's Wind in the air, and then aim the control stick at the ledge. As long as you weren't holding down (which would cause you to SD) you would automatically grab the ledge with no other inputs needed. There were no frames of vulnerability once you had disappeared for the teleport so you could use it to snipe the ledge from other characters without fear of getting hit. The only thing you had to worry about was not holding down, and making sure you timed the teleport to grab the ledge before your opponent.

The telecancel method is pretty much the same thing just requiring the b input cancel to grab the ledge, and a one frame vulnerability window before Zelda has actually grabbed the ledge. It will also be slightly slower and adds a further element of user error. It is definitely usable but will likely require some practice.

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been able to find an alternative to telesnapping that's as consistent or as reliable it once was. The full distance teleport that Elf was describing is the most similar but is much more situational. It also has a hit box when she grabs the ledge since it's the end of the teleport which has some unique utility. Edge cancelled teleport>teleport ledge grab is the fastest and most consistent method of getting to the ledge, especially from the ground.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
With Telesnap you would use Farore's Wind in the air, and then aim the control stick at the ledge. As long as you weren't holding down (which would cause you to SD) you would automatically grab the ledge with no other inputs needed. There were no frames of vulnerability once you had disappeared for the teleport so you could use it to snipe the ledge from other characters without fear of getting hit. The only thing you had to worry about was not holding down, and making sure you timed the teleport to grab the ledge before your opponent.

The telecancel method is pretty much the same thing just requiring the b input cancel to grab the ledge, and a one frame vulnerability window before Zelda has actually grabbed the ledge. It will also be slightly slower and adds a further element of user error. It is definitely usable but will likely require some practice.
^ This is all correct. And a full distance "quick snap" also leaves you vulnerable for 1 frame, but with a hitbox

And autosnap still exists for recovery purposes

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
^ This is all correct. And a full distance "quick snap" also leaves you vulnerable for 1 frame, but with a hitbox

And autosnap still exists for recovery purposes
Wait. So all sweet spots are vulnerable for 1 frame before grabbing ledge? Because that is what a full-distance telesnap from on stage is right? Just a sweetspot?

What does this mean for my Sheik sweetspotting ledge (at full distance, not interrupted so it conveniently snaps)?

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Wait. So all sweet spots are vulnerable for 1 frame before grabbing ledge? Because that is what a full-distance telesnap from on stage is right? Just a sweetspot?

What does this mean for my Sheik sweetspotting ledge (at full distance, not interrupted so it conveniently snaps)?
Yes, you're basically just sweetspotting, and yes, you are vulnerable for 1 frame.

I'm not sure what you mean about Sheik. I don't know why you wouldn't always snap as Sheik but if you're not snapping, then you should be vulnerable for a frame. I haven't tested it, but I assume it works the same.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I'm not sure what you mean about Sheik. I don't know why you wouldn't always snap as Sheik but if you're not snapping, then you should be vulnerable for a frame. I haven't tested it, but I assume it works the same.
To clarify, I was asking if that 1 frame of vulnerability before sweetspotting was a universal mechanic. Obviously it wouldn't affect most characters, who have vulnerable recoveries by default. That's why I gave Sheik as an example...like if you're recovering from a distance and just manage to sweetspot the ledge. If there was a hitbox covering wherever I'd need to reappear on that 1 frame, would I get hit? Not including missed sweetspots that enter falling animation and then grab ledge. MK's dimensional cape and M2's teleport would also be applicable I guess, if their invisibility = no hurtboxes like our teleport.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I guess the 1 frame of vulnerability would just the iasa equivalent to grabbing ledge out of the reappearance animation endlag...

Last edited:

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
To clarify, I was asking if that 1 frame of vulnerability before sweetspotting was a universal mechanic. Obviously it wouldn't affect most characters, who have vulnerable recoveries by default. That's why I gave Sheik as an example...like if you're recovering from a distance and just manage to sweetspot the ledge. If there was a hitbox covering wherever I'd need to reappear on that 1 frame, would I get hit? Not including missed sweetspots that enter falling animation and then grab ledge. MK's dimensional cape and M2's teleport would also be applicable I guess, if their invisibility = no hurtboxes like our teleport.

EDIT: now that I think about it, I guess the 1 frame of vulnerability would just the iasa equivalent to grabbing ledge out of the reappearance animation endlag...
No, the 1 frame of vulnerability isn't universal (you can still sweetspot while perfectly invincible as Sheik, Zelda, or Mewtwo when recovering from offstage. Furthermore, fully invincible ledgestalls, within the 5 ledgegrab limit, would be impossible were the frame of vulnerability universal, and that isn't the case). The frame of vulnerability applies only when snapping from onstage.

EDIT: Also note that in order to not be vulnerable as Zelda when sweetspotting from offstage, you must do a no-poof ledgegrab (without the ending hitbox).

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Furthermore, fully invincible ledgestalls, within the 5 ledgegrab limit, would be impossible were the frame of vulnerability universal, and that isn't the case). The frame of vulnerability applies only when snapping from onstage.
Durr. This much should've been obvious to me. Welp.

No, the 1 frame of vulnerability isn't universal (you can still sweetspot while perfectly invincible as Sheik, Zelda, or Mewtwo when recovering from offstage.
Now that I'm done being dumb...would I have been right if we're only considering onstage sweetspots?

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Durr. This much should've been obvious to me. Welp.

Now that I'm done being dumb...would I have been right if we're only considering onstage sweetspots?
Sweetspots from on or offstage would have some vulnerability. Autosnaps (pre 3.6 beta for onstage) regardless of onstage or offstage, have no frame of vulnerability.

Drsms

Smash Cadet
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Zelda's new teleslash mechanic appearing on frame two instead of one with a full teleport give her new utility in this area? Before when the hit box was active frame one there would be times where instead of edge hogging your opponent you would hit them with teleburn and give them a chance to recover again. With the new mechanic a full teleport to ledge no longer has a hit box since you grab ledge on the second frame when the hit box is supposed to be out. This prevents accidentally saving opponents. I dislike the new teleslash but I believe this change to be beneficial to her edge game.

Top Bottom