• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
I actually think the match-up is pretty even for Zard. With customs gone you can easily go out and challenge Villager's recovery without having to worry about exploding balloons. Without those balloons d-air wrecks him if he recovers low, f-air if he is coming in straight on and if he is going high you can go for the u-air. Your goal as Zard is to get people off stage and edge-guard the **** out of them and without customs it's a lot easier to do that against Villager. On the downside though, Villager f-air and n-air are hella annoying. They can carry you across the stage with that **** and it makes me want to pull my hair out.

But to answer your question, Falco seems to do pretty well. I noticed Rusty picked him up to help with the match-up since he tends to have trouble when he uses Marth.
Funny, I use Marth to cover up the Villager matchup vs. Shulk and it works out just fine for me, and Rusty is obviously a much superior player.

Maybe I wasn't playing good Villagers.

mattatat

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mtthwlol
Funny, I use Marth to cover up the Villager matchup vs. Shulk and it works out just fine for me, and Rusty is obviously a much superior player.

Maybe I wasn't playing good Villagers.
Now that I think about it he picked Falco up to help with custom Villager. Or maybe he just likes Falco. I just remember him switching to Falco a few times going against Ashen and it working out better for him.

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
Now that I think about it he picked Falco up to help with custom Villager. Or maybe he just likes Falco. I just remember him switching to Falco a few times going against Ashen and it working out better for him.
You have to get into a Villager's head and notice tendencies, and then take advantage of their habits. Marth seems to be the character that can react faster because overall he has less startup and ending lag on aerials and specials (versus Shulk), so it's easier to instinctively punish imo

EDIT: Just read that you said custom Villager.

There is no way out.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
TGCalt.jpg

Texas largest tournament series, TGC, is having its 4th event on August 15th 2015 aka 11 days away!

This month, we have a new temporary venue (or an old venue if you went to my HOBOs), Funplex! There is a room above the bar area solely dedicated to smash 4. The room also has a stage for important fights/streaming and a small back room with a couch to chill/have one set-up or whatever.

There is a new character challenge as well. If you place top 4 by ONLY using ROY or ONLY using FALCO or ONLY using GW then you will receive an extra 50$ from me on top of what you earned for reaching 4th place prize money.

Also, please check the rules for TGC 4 because i have changed things. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have your WiiU updated to the newest patch which is 1.10.

Finally, this will be the last TGC in its current form. There will be some major alterations after this event. Change is needed. Expect more details after TGC 4 comes to a close. But for now, please spread this event to all your friends and lets make this event as big as possible.

For more info about TGC 4, please go here: http://smashboards.com/threads/aug-...eat-roy-gw-falco-challenge-houston-tx.409722/

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
New PR is out!

http://smash4.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/8-4-2015.txt

Current Top 20 (including mains for everyone I know; please correct me if I'm wrong on any, or if there are any co-mains I missed):
8/5/2015

1. SMS Platypus :4fox:
2. Magik :4wario2:
3. TheRusBus :4marth:
4. SaSSy :4rob:
5. SMS Savage :4sheik:
6. MikEffect :4ness:
7. Blue Ninjakoopa :4wiifitm::4rob::4mario:
8. AoS | MassKirbycide :4megaman:
9. Zay :4link:
10. Gova :4kirby:
11. SB | Locuan :4mario::4marth:
12. TMG Dragonite :4luigi:
13. Alex :4zss:
14. DozingLeaf :4olimar:
15. SMS Yellocake :4yoshi:
16. AoS | Socks :4pacman:
17. AoS | Grandi :4luigi:
18. SA Face :4link:
19. Braun :4peach::rosalina:
20. RED :4peach::4zelda:

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Too many Links, too many Mario bros, too many Peaches, too many Ness', too many Shieks. We have no character diversity.

:gova:

mattatat

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mtthwlol
New PR is out!

http://smash4.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/8-4-2015.txt

Current Top 20 (including mains for everyone I know; please correct me if I'm wrong on any, or if there are any co-mains I missed):
8/5/2015

1. SMS Platypus :4fox:
2. Magik :4wario:
3. TheRusBus :4marth:
4. SaSSy :4rob:
6. MikEffect :4ness:
7. Blue Ninjakoopa :4rob::4mario::4wiifitm:
8. AoS | MassKirbycide :4megaman:
9. Zay :4link:
11. SB | Locuan :4mario::4marth:
12. TMG Dragonite :4luigi:
13. Alex :4zss:
14. DozingLeaf :4olimar:
15. SMS Yellocake :4yoshi:
16. AoS | Socks :4pacman:
17. AoS | Grandi :4luigi:
19. Braun :4peach::rosalina:
20. RED :4peach::4zelda:
Not sure if it matters, but I believe BNK has only gone WFT since the PR reset.

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
You guys think Marth's a good coverup matchup for high tiers? I struggle horrendously with Shulk against high tiers, but I do really well against mid/low tiers, like I did really good against Red's Zelda. I had to play Ashen and I was expected Villager but he picked Sheik and I got destroyed. Following that, I played Marth and went mostly even with him until the end, so I was thinking of Marth was a good idea.

EDIT: I could put the time to get good at Roy but I can't afford him :( He does seem to be the solution to my problems though.

Last edited:

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
GGs everyone tonight, I had fun and placed pretty satisfactorily for being out of practice.looking forward to next week!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
**FINAL TGC 4 ANNOUNCEMENT. LOTS OF INFO SO PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST**

1. TGC 4 is TOMORROW! August 15th 2015!

2. Please be at the venue by 9:00 am for early registration, check-in and friendlies ( i will be there at this time). Doubles start at 12pm and Singles start at 2pm. The lines will be long so don't show up last minute. I will not allow anyone to join the events after this time.

3. I BEG OF YOU, please bring a full set-up (WiiU+TV+Smash 4+Adapter). If you bring a FULL set-up you will get half your venue fee back, free drink vouchers and more. If you cannot bring a full set-up, please bring whatever you can. TGC events always get over 100 players so we need all the equipment we can get. Having plenty of set-ups is the most important aspect of this event. I have the ability to get us out of the venue by 9-10pm (like last time) if we have many set-ups.

4. If you bought your venue pass online, please bring a paper receipt or show me the receipt on your phone when you check-in/register tomorrow. If you have not bought your venue pass online, you can always buy it at the door with no extra fees/costs. All fees can be paid at the door. Online is optional.

5. Even though i accept all forms of cash (1, 5,10, 20, 50 and 100), i highly recommend you bring $1's and $5's when paying for the venue, 1vs1 and 2vs2 passes. This will make transactions faster and will make payout easier. Just a recommendation, not an obligation.

6. The rules of the game have changed since TGC 3. It is your responsibility to understand and abide by these rules. For more info on rules, times, locations of venue/Smash 4 room, fees and pretty much anything else concerning TGC 4 can be found here: http://smashboards.com/threads/aug-...eat-roy-gw-falco-challenge-houston-tx.409722/

7. Dont forget that there is a new character challenge at TGC 4. If you reach top 4 and you used ONLY Falco or ONLY GW or ONLY Roy, you will get an extra 50$ on top of what you already made for placing top 4.

8. Remember, these events only get huge if you spread the news to your friends. So tell your friends about the event and ill see you all tomorrow.

9. If you have any questions about TGC that is not answered in the rules ( http://smashboards.com/threads/aug-...eat-roy-gw-falco-challenge-houston-tx.409722/ ), please contact me on Smashboards/FaceBook/Twitter or shoot me a text at 409-692-0697

10. The Luigis are coming......

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Nobody told me how easy it was to dash dance with Rosaluma. BRB picking up that character

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Warning Received
First Jmart, then Graham, then Braun, then Rusbus, then Magik, and now Saturn on the Rosalina train. ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I thought censor dodging was when you exploited letter modifiers (putting them in between letters to show the entire bad word, since the censor won't recognize something like "cr[ i ][ /i]ap"), not when you covered the vowel and silent letter with asterisks.

Last edited:

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Wait RusBus is playing Rosa? I've said on stream I was hoping Rusty would pick up Rosa, he's obviously so talented but he mains low tiers. If he's picked up a top tier I don't see any reason he can't challenge for best in Austin/best in Texas.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Yeah he's picked her up but only for certain match-ups I think. He's definitely not switching mains from what he told me.

Last edited:

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
New PR is out!

http://smash4.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/8-18-2015.txt

8/18/2015

1. SaSSy :4rob:
2. Magik :4wario2:
3. SMS Platypus :4fox::4dedede:
4. TheRusBus :4marth:
6. Haruki :4rob::4sheik:
7. MikEffect :4ness:
8. Blue Ninjakoopa :4wiifitm::4rob::4mario:
9. DozingLeaf :4olimar:
11. AoS | MassKirbycide :4megaman:
12. Zay :4link:
13. SB | Locuan :4mario::4marth:
14. AoS | Grandi :4luigi:
15. Braun :4peach::rosalina::4villagerf:
16. SA Face :4link:
17. Ditto :4mario:
18. Ashen :4villager:
19. Scrub :4ness::4villager:
20. SMS Yellocake :4yoshi:

Finally dropped out of the top 10 after a strong start. Hopefully I'll be able to start attending events frequently again to turn things around!

Also, just for kicks, here's a character breakdown (I'll adjust this if I'm wrong on any mains/co-mains):
3x:4rob::4villager::4mario:
2x:4sheik::4link::4ness::4marth:
1x:4wario2::4fox::4dedede::4wiifitm::4olimar::4kirby::4megaman::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4yoshi:

Last edited:

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Seems like I'm stuck at #10 forever. :gova:

edit: welcome dion! this place is the coolest obv

Last edited:

Dion_SageSennin

Smash Rookie
Aww yea I'm excited I feel like I'm getting better just need more practice and go to more tournaments when I can good luck to anyone going to San Antonio today

Comboman77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Comboman77
3DS FC
3995-6665-4886
I'm ranked lower than Suneel?

Blasphematic! I need to get good now lmao

also if DT is here, I'm a freshman at your high school, please help me

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
Bleh, did awful this week, and when I went to leave, my car's engine is borked. Why did I even come this week ._.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
BECAUSE YOU MISSED ME? :D
Seriously, sorry to hear that, buddy. :<

MassKirbycide

Smash Cadet
New PR is out!

http://smash4.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/8-25-2015.txt

8/25/2015

1. SaSSy :4rob:
2. SMS Platypus :4fox::4dedede:
3. Haruki :4rob::4sheik:
4. Magik :4wario2:
6. TheRusBus :4marth:
7. MikEffect :4ness:
8. DozingLeaf :4olimar:
9. Blue Ninjakoopa :4wiifitm::4rob::4mario:
11. Zay :4link:
12. AoS | MassKirbycide :4megaman:
13. AoS | Grandi :4luigi:
14. Alex :4zss:
15. Ashen :4villager:
16. Braun :4peach::rosalina::4villagerf:
17. Scrub :4ness::4villager:
19. SB | Locuan :4mario::4marth:
20. Ditto :4mario:

Slipped another rank after dropping a close set to Zay. He and I have been going back and forth lately, so I'll get him next time!

As for the character breakdown, not much changed, but Alex's return to the top 20 brings a ZSS back into the mix, and drops Yellowcake's lone Yoshi. Here's the breakdown as it stands:
3x:4rob::4villager::4mario:
2x:4sheik::4link::4ness::4marth:
1x:4wario2::4fox::4dedede::4wiifitm::4olimar::4kirby::4megaman::4luigi::4peach::rosalina::4zss:

Top Bottom