• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The aura should never die! A Lucario's Guide

The aura should never die! A Lucario's Guide

Tdsholo

Smash Rookie
Hey ppl, just read this guide since I'm very excited in playing Lucario again, by far my favorite~

The guide is very cool so far, very well explained, but I have one question: In the F-tilt section it says you can pivot cancel F-tilt from a dash. I don't get that at all...does it mean just turn around and F-tilt? or something else?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Do a dash, then right when you do a pivot, do a ftilt. Just think pivot fsmash but with ftilt instead.

Tdsholo

Smash Rookie
I'll try that out, but when I imput the opposit direction I'm dashing I always get that slide turnaround animation

Edit: NVM I was doing it wrong, thank you for ur support :'D

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Eeveecario updated The aura should never die! A Lucario's Guide with a new update entry:

Update v0.3, Ground attacks and grabs

• Finished ground attacks (with the exception of recovery attacks and ledge attacks).
  • Updated the brief damage output to be more precise.
  • Some quick clean-up.
  • Added more sources.
  • Added grabs & throws (frame data of throws are missing).
  • Added some pros and cons.
  • Wish to start with specials soon.
  • Thank you guys for your support! I'm trying to play and write the guide to keep it fresh! Please forgive me in advance if I take too long writing the guide!.
Read the rest of this update entry...

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Hi everybody!
Thanks you all for your support to develop this guide! For now, I want to share with you my personal experience about my first local tournament after making this guide, hope it can motivate other players to participate on local tournaments soon!

Yesterday, I finally went for my first local tournament in Smash, And for the love of God it feels so awesome!

As a newcomer, spectators and staff members said we (my brothers and I) put some hype and level to the tournament, even that the previous champion (Called Xuma, and apparently a good one) had some trouble with us before earning the champion title.​

There were 12 players, double elimination, 3 stocks, 2 wins out of 3, Omega stages, no items and no time.
On quarter finals, I fell to Loser's bracket after losing against Xuma (Diddy) 2-1. Made it through Losers bracket reaching the Grand Final, resetting the brackets and... finally losing 3-0 :facepalm:, Grand finals where 3 out of 5

The final placing was:
  1. Xuma :4diddy:, :4littlemac:
  2. Eeveecario (Myself, with :4lucario:)
  3. Hades :4diddy:
  4. Fang (My brother, with :4fox:, :4tlink:, :4lucina:, :4robinm:)
  5. Tuki :4darkpit:, :4rob:, :4diddy:
Personally, making it through the Grand Finals as a newcomer is a big achievement for me, being the crowds favorite was an awesome feeling! (everyone was chanting my KOs and pseudo-combos, when I get KOed they supported me, man the hype! :colorful:). Maybe after looking to many Diddy and the same infamous combo setup (Do I need to describe it?), was like a hope to break Diddy's anarchy?

The truth is, I would like to be on a tourney again whenever the next one comes, but it's physically and mentally exhausting be 5 ~ 6 hours aware of the matches :ohwell:, I even feel my body tired as I write, but I wanted to share this experience to you.

And by the way, Xuma (The local champion) seems to have filmed the matches, whenever I have a copy on my hand, I'll upload it so you can see it.

Finally, this has enlighten me to make a Match-up section in my guide, trying to explain what you can do against other characters.

Please, feel free to support this guide, and thank you for your time reading this! Hope it can work for motivation!

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Eeveecario updated The aura should never die! A Lucario's Guide with a new update entry:

Update v0.4 - Aerials

• Added aerials attacks breakdown.
  • Added some (possibly unnecessary) images.
  • Added some sources.
  • The next update will bring down :4lucario: most versatile arsenal, his specials! Maybe after his specials breakdown I'll start creating some images and guide editing to help the style of this.
  • I apologize in advance for the slow develop of my guide, I do this during my job's free times and I try to be as clear as possible.
  • Once again, thank you for your feedback! Much...

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Sure, why not?

Well, back in brawl, the force palm chain was a great tool, 1F grab, deals damage, and had a great KO potential.
But I didn't liked his aura nor his air speed. In brawl you were forced to fight at high numbers if you really wished to land a KO blow easily. and he floated a lot more

DaRedMage

Smash Cadet
I loved Brawl Lucario. He was fun, combo crazy and great. Not too sure about Smash 4 Lucario. He feels slower and clunkyer. I feel like he lost all of his comboing and speed for some stupid broken so called "Comeback Mechanic".

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
I personally don't think that Lucario's Aura mechanic is broken. Also, since the damage multiplier portion of the mechanic was buffed, the stock multiplier portion isn't as strong as it was in Brawl.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
I loved Brawl Lucario. He was fun, combo crazy and great. Not too sure about Smash 4 Lucario. He feels slower and clunkyer. I feel like he lost all of his comboing and speed for some stupid broken so called "Comeback Mechanic".
Yes, and no.

He lost a lot of stability and combos are hard to detect, but now the aura buff makes more sense, KO foes is easier, and I feel him faster. He might be the "easiest" fighter to make a comeback, but it feels like a Sudden Death character at that point. Rather than a Comeback fighter, I would call him a "All-or-nothing" fighter.

I personally don't think that Lucario's Aura mechanic is broken. Also, since the damage multiplier portion of the mechanic was buffed, the stock multiplier portion isn't as strong as it was in Brawl.
I think that too.

Back in Brawl you have to kill one or two stocks to hit hard. The penalty was too harsh and achieving the Aura buff was a pain rather than a buff. Now you can actually fight an even match, and can KO foes in fresh stocks.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario

Update 0.5: Specials

• Added Specials breakdown topic.
  • Added some more sources.
  • Added some images.
  • Updated some frame data of the moves breakdown.
  • Updated aerial moves breakdown - general tips.
  • Added more general advanced topics.
Finally, the specials breakdown is here!
It's a big topic to talk about, as we need to cover some frame data, what changes occurs with the aura mechanism, and, maybe the most important topic, the advanced stuff you can do with them.

Please, I explained...

Sloooooooooooow

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bearissoslow
i think this is a good guide for people curious about lucario. i wish there had been more on advanced techniques and such but the metagame's stilld eveloping so i don't begrudge you for it.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
i think this is a good guide for people curious about lucario. i wish there had been more on advanced techniques and such but the metagame's stilld eveloping so i don't begrudge you for it.
Thanks for the feedback!

On the advanced techniques, I mentioned the stuff I currently know or have memory of. As I mention in every move breakdown, there ARE more advanced moves that mostly I missed or forgotten to mention.
Have you checked the sources section yet? There's some in-depth advanced techniques there if you want to investigate deeper (I just mention them in order to avoid double-posts or overgrow this guide).

Of course, it's still prior to version 1.0 (Still in development), if you have any pro-tips, please feel free to share it with us, and maybe I'll mention it on the guide (with the proper credits, of course)

EDIT: You can also expect a clean-up and more style with the guide (which I'm currently working on during my free times), in order to be easier to read.

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario

Update v0.6 - Style & Match-ups!

• Added the match-up section (Thanks for @Croi and the community for allowing me!)
  • Added NECESSARY Images.
  • Added more sources.
  • Cleaned up the guide (maybe not perfect, but OK).
  • Updated some contents.
Finally, update v0.6 is here (That took a while...)! Maybe you have seen most of the pictures and style before this update, while I was working on this (Sorry for any inconvenience it did ^^u).

The match-up section is currently being discussed, and I'll post a brief...

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
As to input some data. Ness can bat FP. And it will deal full distance and bonus damage to Lucario. I even got killed by it.

I actually can link a video of this situation from my friend's stream if you want to see.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
As to input some data. Ness can bat FP. And it will deal full distance and bonus damage to Lucario. I even got killed by it.

I actually can link a video of this situation from my friend's stream if you want to see.
Please, If it's not a problem. So I can verify myself the distance of the Force Palm returned.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Doesn't Ness's side smash attack cause projectiles that it reflects to travel faster?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I want some one to explain to me how you kill Lucario once hes max Aura...it feels like fighting in sudden death. If he gets to over 100 it becomes almost impossible to kill him for some characters.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
http://www.twitch.tv/txkhotsauce/c/6408621 Go to about 9 minutes and watch from there.
As for speed and power, yeah it has been confirmed. But i'm still not sure about the length of the FP being reflected =(. In that video, Ness reflected a bit more than half of the FP (as for the bat position). I'll hit the lab once more and check this out. Thanks for the feedback!

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario

Update v0.7 - Combos & Mix-ups!

• Added combos and mix-up content and banner
  • Added a bit more of sources.
Sorry for taking too long for the release of this update.
After the 1.0.6 patch, We were worried about noticing what changes has been made and the match up situation, that writing down the combos while keeping track of update changes was time consuming.
I should mention, that there's already a thread explaining detailed information about combos, and copy-pasting that information can be non-honest work...

SNchilly

Smash Rookie
Made an account to thank you for this well written guide and its frequent updates :) Going to be a real lifeline for me

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Wow bro, thanks for taking your time in making your account ant thank me!
I'm glad you liked it! Just remember, that not all the information is written down here, you must discover the missing information! (But the most important or vital is here, don't worry!)

Happy smashing bro!

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario

Update v1.0 - Advanced Techniques!

• Added Advanced techniques section.
  • Added even more sources.
  • Fixed some of the links.
  • Added Customs and doubles plan!
It's finally done!
The guide which we expected at first it's done! We have covered all our first goals and the guide now has a first, "complete" release!

BUT!
As we were working on the guide, some others section were discovered, and some others were recommended by guys who were giving their feedback. We would like to...

Kyzael

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raiyn
3DS FC
0104-3086-6937
It's very very small piece of information but it's information all the same.

With Extreme Speed, when sliding on the ground (During the burst mode, as I call it), right when the attack frame comes out. You can choose to face the other direction in the slide. This doesn't end up reducing the sliding, I tested to see that you just end up the same area.

The only trick I manage to find this "useful" is that if you ES along the stage and are going to zoom off the ledge, doing this will quickly start DI'ing you to the ledge and land in instant edge grab.

Again it can only be done on the ground and when the attack frames are coming out, you'll turn around if you input the opposite direction.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
I've already written that technique on the guide.

I haven't found an official name for it, nor threads talking about it, so I'll call it (for now) the Vacuum ES. (You can Ctrl + F it to find it on the guide).
In addition to what you said before, it doesn't only turn you around, it also reverses the angle to where your foe is sent flying. It makes ES even more risky, but it can punish bad edge guards and get some early KOs.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario

Update v1.1 - More advanced techniques! (Shield drop!)

• Added more terms in the terminology (duh) section.
  • Updated the missing killing percentages and angle in the move breakdown.
  • Updated Aura Sphere breakdown.
  • Added more points in the advanced techniques section
  • Added more links and sources!
If you have been looking on the guide recently, you might have noticed some changes not mentioned on the last update. I can't post updates every time I post a minor update, so I was looking for a big change in order...

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
What the hell is this thread, and why are there so few "warning received" messages. I came to learn about Lucario and was returned to middle school-level drama.

Regardless, @ Eeveecario Eeveecario this is an excellent guide with very helpful data. I'll be referencing it over the next few weeks, should I decide to pickup the character. Also, considering how useful it is, is there a reason it isn't pinned?

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
What the hell is this thread, and why are there so few "warning received" messages. I came to learn about Lucario and was returned to middle school-level drama.

Regardless, @ Eeveecario Eeveecario this is an excellent guide with very helpful data. I'll be referencing it over the next few weeks, should I decide to pickup the character. Also, considering how useful it is, is there a reason it isn't pinned?
Hello ( ^w^) / and thank you!

Well, I don't really know, maybe admins haven't checked the guide, and I wouldn't like to ask for a pin for a work I've done. If this deserves a pin, I'll let the people who read it ask for it... (I don't know, I feel like it's like a writer asking to make his book top 10, where the one who decides are the people who read this).

Thank you for your feedback, and happy smashing!
:133:

Last edited:

Lightsoul

Tricky Fox
NNID
Lightsoul101
3DS FC
3969-4786-4826
One of the best guides I have ever read and is by far the #1 Lucario guide on here. I main Lucario for two reasons, because he fits my play style and because of this guide giving me so much more insight an awesome character. The MU section is not bad and if you need help on completing it I can give you my experience since I think by now I have fought every character on the roster with Lucario at least 3 to 5 times.

Lucario's toughest but funnest match up is against Ness simply because most Ness main's think that as long as they can throw up their shield that they are safe. They can not be more wrong since a good Lucario player will start to play mind games with them and charge the AS and never throw it until they least expect it.

Falco I found to be the worst match up because his shield can be thrown out and used to not only block our attacks but also can cause a trip hazard. But one cool thing people forget about is that AS can go though his slow lasers and hit him in the middle of his animation. You might take a bit of damage but if the Falco player is not expecting return fire at the time you could take a stock or scare them into firing less.

Lucario is all about being slow and steady. If you can not find a way to play him at all levels of his Aura then you are not playing him correctly.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Being heavily defensive means that you're aiming to bait unsafe moves and punish them and relying a bit on aura. While it can work, there will be times that you'll be overfed with attacks that you won't be able to read them properly. And sometimes reading your foe is not enough on a match.

Being heavily offensive means that you'll have a lot of combos and you can fight even at low aura. If you really know lucario that well, you'll realize how to approach and what moves you can challenge. But, most of the fighters have that moves which allow them to challenge/break attacks that makes Lucario approach really hard to perform.

IMO, if you find a really defensive Lucario, they're going to play campy/punishing game. Throwing safe moves or mixing up your approaches can shut them down, honestly. Either that is the reason... or they're still figuring out Lucario... Most of the good players I know are offensive now, and the only time they're defensive is when they have a back-up plan.

DoogDoofDoor

Smash Rookie
For the combos section, can you do some combos if the opponent is at lower percents but you have higher aura? Would the higher aura compensate for their lower damage (Higher knock back from aura compensating for lower knock back @ low percents)?

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Uuuhm... it is kinda hard to explain. But I'll try to be as simple as possible.

I'll call (for the sake of simplicity) the potential of a combo to break: "Scaling".

First, I'll briefly explain how the aura - target knockback scaling works.

:4lucario: Low aura ~ Low % :4mario: = Low scaling (no problem here)
:4lucario: Mid aura ~ Low % :4mario: = Low scaling, nothing very noticeable.
:4lucario: High aura ~ Low % :4mario: = Low-Mid scaling, can begin with a low % opening and a variant finish
:4lucario: Low aura ~ Mid % :4mario: = Low-Mid scaling. Opening can be different, but combo finisher might be the same
:4lucario:Mid aura ~ Mid % :4mario: = Mid scaling (As expected)
:4lucario: High aura ~ Mid % :4mario:= Mid-High Scaling. Might need to improvise a bit.
:4lucario: Low aura ~ High % :4mario:= Mid scaling. UpThrow will send at a good angle
:4lucario: Mid aura ~ High % :4mario: = High scaling. Might have trouble with combos
:4lucario: High aura ~ High % :4mario: = Highest scaling, you know what to do here. Bop his nose already.

In other (and shorter) words, knockbacks rely more heavily on the target's % than in Aura. Aura slightly alters the knockback in comparison to current damage.

IMO, try to be more focused in your foe's % rather than your Aura IN TERMS OF COMBO POTENTIAL!

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario

Update v1.2 - The 1.1.3 Update!

Heey! It has been a long time after the last update huh?

Yeah, the 1.1.3 Patch: "Everyone gets buffed or left unchanged while Lucario gets the corner" ... Not really.

For those who are used to Lucario at this point, you might feel difference on the ASC: "There's something different on ASC... but I can't tell what.." You're probably saying that right now. Don't worry, it's an actual thing. You have your foe less time trapped on your ASC.

Yup. The exact changes:
  • Knockback...

Top Bottom