• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Aura is with him! - Lucario Thread

Ajani

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys,

Sorry to bother but how do you guys practice Lucario? I used to main him in Brawl but haven't picked up the game for several years, did not have a chance to play Smash4 due to playing Competitive overwatch. A lot has changed and it seems Lucario (according to Zero) is pretty dam good. Is here a tutorial guide on how people like to play him? I noticed lots of people dont short hop with him, any reason for that?

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I think ASC->USmash, ASC-> bair and up/down throw->up air as well as just chucking Aura Sphere give Lucario a healthy amount of ways to seal a stock, especially since you can just bully the hell out of people at the ledge or suddenly land on someone with ASC. What I'm concerned about is what are we going to about shield pressure because Browny raised a good point about Lucario's lack of out of shield options outside of risking a parry. Like closest thing that comes to mind is slightly delayed dair since shield grab has been universally gutted.
Oh right. I keep on forgetting to lab Air Walk. Have you also being using Shield DI? Not a fan of how much stun is on rapid jabs tho.

OoS options may improve with Shield DI. A quick OoS NAir or Fair may be good too.

Anyone know anything about hitstun in this game? Once we get that info I can almost guarantee that I will find a combo or two.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Oh right. I keep on forgetting to lab Air Walk. Have you also being using Shield DI? Not a fan of how much stun is on rapid jabs tho.

OoS options may improve with Shield DI. A quick OoS NAir or Fair may be good too.

Anyone know anything about hitstun in this game? Once we get that info I can almost guarantee that I will find a combo or two.
Nair is F10 now and completely changed. Unlikely to work at all since you will be too high up.

Ajani

Smash Apprentice
What are the Lucario combos in ultimate?

So far I see, UGrab->FAir->Fair and Dash -> Aura sphere

Also any thoughts on Zero believing Lucario to be a top 10 in ultimate?

Ajani

Smash Apprentice
Im looking at doing some Frame data analysis. As this is my first time, does this sound right to you guys?

Move..................Frames..................Upstart

F-Smash.............65-70..................15

U-Smash.............60........................1-8 (dependent positioning)

D-Smash.............62........................16

I found each position from the start of the position to when he returned to regular stance. Sorry for the poor formating, I dont know how to make tables.

Last edited:

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Hey guys,

Sorry to bother but how do you guys practice Lucario? I used to main him in Brawl but haven't picked up the game for several years, did not have a chance to play Smash4 due to playing Competitive overwatch. A lot has changed and it seems Lucario (according to Zero) is pretty dam good. Is here a tutorial guide on how people like to play him? I noticed lots of people dont short hop with him, any reason for that?
I'm still getting back into the swing of him myself, but I'll pass on what I know and hopefully some of the others can give you some advice too.

Get in the habit of using Aura Sphere Charge for movement/mixups, it's one of the best things about him. You can B reverse it and new to Ultimate, you can jump during a charge as well, combine that with B Reversals and there you go.

The tradeoff for him now is Aura (and rage) being weaker but he's more solid all around. He's faster and he's actually a threat at low percents due to his dash speed and his Nair getting a hitbox buff to where it drags people down. ExtremeSpeed also has less landing recovery so it's easier for him to be unpredictable when he needs to get back on the stage and it has a hitbox as well. I've actually tagged more people with it than I probably should just by ramming into them.

Down tilt and Forward tilt for footsies, up tilt for juggles, down air helps with his momentum, fair is combo filler, bair and upair are some of your kill moves, Force Palm for when people get too defensive(also doubles as a spacing tool when he's around 60% or so due to the projectile), throw out Double Team every once in a while so your opponent doesn't get overly aggressive.

Oh yeah, and dash cancel tilts, specifically forward and uptilt.

Ajani

Smash Apprentice
I'm still getting back into the swing of him myself, but I'll pass on what I know and hopefully some of the others can give you some advice too.

Get in the habit of using Aura Sphere Charge for movement/mixups, it's one of the best things about him. You can B reverse it and new to Ultimate, you can jump during a charge as well, combine that with B Reversals and there you go.

The tradeoff for him now is Aura (and rage) being weaker but he's more solid all around. He's faster and he's actually a threat at low percents due to his dash speed and his Nair getting a hitbox buff to where it drags people down. ExtremeSpeed also has less landing recovery so it's easier for him to be unpredictable when he needs to get back on the stage and it has a hitbox as well. I've actually tagged more people with it than I probably should just by ramming into them.

Down tilt and Forward tilt for footsies, up tilt for juggles, down air helps with his momentum, fair is combo filler, bair and upair are some of your kill moves, Force Palm for when people get too defensive(also doubles as a spacing tool when he's around 60% or so due to the projectile), throw out Double Team every once in a while so your opponent doesn't get overly aggressive.

Oh yeah, and dash cancel tilts, specifically forward and uptilt.
Thank you, that was very helpful.

On the note of dash cancel tilts, I was looking into it, from what I can tell it seems Lucario does not have it in ultimate? Do you hace your c-stick set to tilt?

Solaris_Noid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koga_Noid
3DS FC
0619-3734-0827
Switch FC
1232-9460-2152
Thank you, that was very helpful.

On the note of dash cancel tilts, I was looking into it, from what I can tell it seems Lucario does not have it in ultimate? Do you hace your c-stick set to tilt?
Yeah, I do pivot f tilt and up tilt. Dash cancel tilts are a universal mechanic, it just looks like it's not possible because the cancel isn't really immediate, it comes out of the first dash animation.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
FInally! I made into Elite Smash with Lucario at 1,628,179 GSP. Sweet Aura Spheres that took quite a while!

Considering I literally haven't seen any other Lucario players in my time online, and the way that getting into ELite Smash works (top 10% of players' GSP score with a given character). I can only assume that the current player base for Lucario is awfully small, and pretty damn skilled to boot.

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
I've given Lucario some more playtime, and WOW this dog is speedy now. I love it. His dashdancing, his horizontal aerial speed. His great slide distance with pivot-tilts and pivot-fsmash. I'm not comfortable with his combo game yet, but I'm gonna keep working on him.

Someone earlier mentioned that you can B reversal with Aura Sphere...
Uh... How?
While you're in the air with horizontal momentum, press B, then immediately flick the control stick opposite the direction you're facing.

Last edited:

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Honestly with the old grab frame data and a better startup hitbox on jab and lucario would feel perfect to me

Ajani

Smash Apprentice
Do we have any frame data? Seems like people are split on Lucario. Leffen feels he isnt good and Zero thinks he is top tier

PF9

Smash Lord
Lucario is one of five mammalian Pokemon playable in the game.

The others are Pikachu, Pichu, Incineroar and Jigglypuff (confirmed to be mammalian in the Detective Pikachu movie, she seems to be a fox, but her evolved form is more rabbit-like).

Having half the Pokemon be mammalian is really cool.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
So I decided to pick up Lucario, and whilst I didn't play him in Smash 4, I do think he's at least a mid-to-high tier character this game. I love the aura mechanic since it gives me the chance to make comebacks. Though mastering Extreme Speed as well as making good use of the B-reverse is difficult.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
OK, has anyone else noticed that a fully-charged, really close to max aura AS gets completely run through by Inkling's roller? That doesn't seem fair...

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
OK, has anyone else noticed that a fully-charged, really close to max aura AS gets completely run through by Inkling's roller? That doesn't seem fair...
Just ran into this yesterday. Full charged aura sphere at 119% aura did absolutely nothing to an Inkling who’s roller was out... pretty ridiculous..

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Does Aura affect the size of our aerial and smash hitboxes or only the knockback, damage and hitstun?

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
The hitboxes on ASC are actually SMALLER when AS is fully charged. Wild ain't it? Can't tell if it's a glitch or if it's deliberate (I sincerely hope it's the former...).

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
The hitboxes on ASC are actually SMALLER when AS is fully charged. Wild ain't it? Can't tell if it's a glitch or if it's deliberate (I sincerely hope it's the former...).
Although I agree that’s really sad, I was referring to the size of the hitboxes on our aerials and smash attacks/tilts when we’re at 0% vs for example 150% high aura

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
The hitboxes on Lucario's normals stay the same regardless of Aura outside of damage, it's his specials that grow larger with Aura.

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
Man, nobody plays this character, huh? I was expecting competitive discussion and everything :(

Top Bottom