• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Aura is Mine!" Lucario Social Thread! (With More Moderators!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Is it just me or does All star have a greater damage scaling

Lucario at 120% and I did 60+% with Fsmash and I was like wtf

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
That is the point of All-Star

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Hmm okay so yesterday, I recently took first in Colorado's first 1 v 1 smash 4 tournament. Only a 16 man bracket, but still, everyone seemed hype that a Lucario actually won the first one here. And i'd like to share some details if I can with you.

First off, Lucario still feels like a character that can deal with any situation relatively well, just like in brawl. His spacing game in nuetral is still strong enough to trump the majority of characters in the nuetral game, and at high percent only becomes stronger with the added benefit of gaining force palm pokes to wall off the opponent, and larger auraspheres to punish whiffed moves and landings. While there are characters who can reflect/absorb/ignore these tools, again, lucario's spacing game is usually enough to get by. All his moves still remain relativly safe, so just as long as your spacing game is on point and you play cautiously you are gonna be a ***** to kill!

I feel like in smash 4 if a move is not intended to kill, it will almost never do so. In brawl, it was viable to poke/throw lucario off the stage with whatever small attacks they can muster to punish what very little Lucario let you punish, but now, lucario's recovery is SO damn good, that they almost have to get reads just to finish you off, so don't be discouraged about getting sent to high percent. All that matters is you don't get read and KO'd. Place solid, and play safe.

Also, while many of you have pointed out that Lucario exchanged his brain dead combo potential for a brain dead recovery, I still believe this is a huge benefit. While he doesn't have massive combo's anymore, the new changes to the airdodge mechanic let you set up for follow attacks insanely well. One of the tricks I used incredibly often in tournament that seemed to work everytime was U-throw at low percent, u-air follow up, then just drift away from them on the way back while charging aurasphere. If they don't jump, you should be able to catch there landing every time, and even get to go in against possibly for a dash attack to f-air to catch there OTHER landing. Air dodging is REALLY bad in this game for the record. The amount of time your stuck on the ground before being able to take action is enough to punish from damn near any range and most aerials dont' seem to clank with FC aurasphere as far as I know.

In fact, catching landings with your aurasphere is so good in this game now, it's gonna be stale as ****. Seriously. My aurasphere was so ****ing stale every match and I used it almost exclusively just for punishing landings.

The finals btw were against a peach player. It went to game 5, I ended up coming from winners, and it came down to last round last stock. Peach, is a character that excels GREATLY in the air, while new-cario is a character that seems to want his feet planted firmly on the ground most of the time. I can safely say lucario comes equipped with some amazing tools for dealing with aerial based character.

Outside of the obvious b-air being an amazing air to air, f-air is still quick enough to be used and can be strung together with even more f-air, or even a u-air or aurasphere follow up attempt. But the real star of the show is his U-smash. U-smash. Is SO ****ing good, it's not even funny. The old one in brawl was quick, but unreliable for actually getting kills with thanks to the odd cone it shot up in, and how weak it got the longer it lingered out. It also had the biggest part of the hitbox behind him which was admittedly somewhat useless.

Lucario's new u-smash doesn't seem to really have a "weak hit." When used infront of him, the first hit reliably pops the opponent into the strong hit everytime, making me think this may EASILY be lucario's quickest kill options by far. Against peach anytime she d-air'd my shield if she didn't fall down with n-air I could punish with a u-smash out of shield. It really is a beast.

I have some MU specific stuff I can kinda spread too, but, that's not for this thread IMO.

Results thread will be coming soon to the Lucario boards once I decide on a cute format.

but yeah.
just.
Lucario's ****ing good.
Ha~

I really think he's going to be a forced to be reckoned with, and unlike brawl, this character will NOT fall into meer mediocrity~ I may also make a general Lucario guide for basic strats, known combos, that gives off a general gist of what each move is capable of doing alongside the damage they do at each percentage to help get people started in the right direction. (Thanks to the smash scientist who went out of there way to find that **** out btw. <3) New information will be continously added if suggested by other Lucario's of course. <3

Would everyone be okay with this?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Do it. More info is never a bad thing.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
It would be really useful, especially since he plays a bit differently then Brawlcario. Definitely do it.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Yeah. I could really get behind this. I'd be happy to assist as well.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
BTW has any figures out a use for dtilt? It seems so bad.

Also nair is nerfed. It has so much aura visual effect, but no hitbox.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Yessss! Alright, i'll get started on it tonight then~
To be honest, I freaking love making write ups like this so this should be fun.
Thanks for the support guys~

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I'm not even sure if I'm going to be staying Lucario for smash 4.
Thanks for all the fun during brawl however!
Lucario is REALLY good this game. Plus you have Brawl exp. You'd be doing yourself a favor by maining him.

USmash is like Lucario's strongest move now lol.

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
Hey guys, I looked into Lucario as a main for SSB4 and I tried playing him. I really like him, but he's slow. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Hey guys, I looked into Lucario as a main for SSB4 and I tried playing him. I really like him, but he's slow. Any recommendations?
Slow like ground speed slow?
You should space with Side B

Don't try to approach through the air.
He is not the hit and run type imo.

Also welcome to Smash boards :)

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
Slow like ground speed slow?
You should space with Side B

Don't try to approach through the air.
He is not the hit and run type imo.

Also welcome to Smash boards :)
Hmm. I also try and tank when I'm at high health for damage purposes. How should I approach?

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
That custom side-b where his force palm extends out is ridiculous. Like halfway across FD at max aura.
It doesn't really matter if the power drops (I have the damage on the changes thread for Luc)
It still retains its grab power
Most importantly it spaces incredibly well

Hope customs are allowed lol

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
I believe the most struggle I have had was getting a finisher off, and preventing myself from getting edge guarded. I play very aggressive so I don't know if that's a downfall or not.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
I believe the most struggle I have had was getting a finisher off, and preventing myself from getting edge guarded. I play very aggressive so I don't know if that's a downfall or not.
Your KO moves are your smashes

FP (more specifically the grab) and Aura sphere KO nicely at high aura

I got read by a little mac while landing from Extremespeed and took a KO punch squarely to the face

Brendan Stepladder

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3626-0125-2928
Lucario is awesome in 3DS! I've always loved characters who get stronger over time.

Also, has anybody else discovered the wonder that is thr Devil's Pact power in Smash Run with Lucario? It gives you 300% damage but temporarily maxes your stats. With Lucarion, he turns into a death machine and it's beautiful. Especially when combined with Super Armor.

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
Your KO moves are your smashes

FP (more specifically the grab) and Aura sphere KO nicely at high aura

I got read by a little mac while landing from Extremespeed and took a KO punch squarely to the face
Would it be better to Ep towards the ledge than over The stage?

Last edited:

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I take it back. I used Lucario a lot yesterday and he's really growing on me. Plus, I feel like he's the only character I have in my pocket who I can fight Little Macs with. They've been giving me a lot of trouble so far.

Last edited:

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
Out of habit I would EP over the stage (esp at high aura)
But idk this move might be risky
I just played some matches during my lunch period, and I really like his air game. I can juggle floater charas also I feel DI is very important for maximum damage output for Lucario

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Would it be better to Ep towards the ledge than over The stage?
It really depends on what character you are fighting against. Against a fast character or someone who has a good projectile, it'll get you killed if you recover back on stage improperly.

Last edited:

AFeralFurry

Smash Cadet
So, I used Lucario earlier, because why not as I mained him in Brawl, and he's my best character again.

Yet I've only used him less than 10 times in SSB4.

Guess my former experience pays off, definitely staying in my main 3.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Lucario has a lot of interesting tools in Smash 4. I'll probably write some of my findings up soon...

I HIGHLY recommend doing For Glory when you know some Japanese are around. I noticed their method of play is a bit more advanced than ours. I played a godly Falcon that destroyed me until I learned the matchup.

Vector DI seems interesting too. I recommend blowing up some Smart Bombs in training to get a feel for it.

I noticed when I waggled downward I survived longer from the Smart Bomb explosion... Perhaps multihit moves add to Vector DI based off of each input?

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
My school is offering a smash tournament sometime, im honing my skills with Lucario, and practiced with him. I discovered pairing his custom down b that paralyses with forward smash at 100%+ will kill. Thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
So how useful is the custom SideB 3 (Long Distance Force Palm)? I know it's a bit weaker, but the hitbox is huge and the grab doesn't have any less damage so it should be good; the cooldown feels too long for it to be good though. Am I just using it wrong?

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
Loved Lucario from Smash 4, I think I maybe dual main him with Shulk but I feel comfortable with him, especially with his recovery and force palm buff.

But I feel slow in the air, It's more difficult to combo his aerials, there are some air strings with him?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I added Alexoftheaura on Skype, could someone part of the Lucario group chat add me (jfvissing)?

EDIT: nvm I got added but chat doesn't work for me yet for some reason

EDIT2: someone re-add me, it wasn't working properly

Last edited:

GreenBread

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceformation
3DS FC
1203-9525-6346
Anyone feel short hop dair is a useful utility?

So how useful is the custom SideB 3 (Long Distance Force Palm)? I know it's a bit weaker, but the hitbox is huge and the grab doesn't have any less damage so it should be good; the cooldown feels too long for it to be good though. Am I just using it wrong?
Haven't tested. From what I've heard it wont be that useful, I feel regular Force Palm is the best

Last edited:

SuperSmashKing009

Smash Ace
NNID
SSK009
3DS FC
0404-7569-9294
His short hop dair is still useful in this game. I use to main Lucario in brawl he still does carry over a lot of his moves. He definitely is stronger and most of all his Up B kills as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom