• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Atlantic North Interview Thread.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
I saw this a midwest thread like this, so I thought we could copy it. Try to answer as extensive as you can, so it makes it more fun :)

When did you first get into smash?

What was your favorite tournament and why?

What's your favorite moment you've had during your time in the smash community?

What's your funniest moment in the smash community?

Whom do you enjoy being around the most in the smash community?

What is your favorite soda?

ShippoFoxFire

Smash Lord
Late Fall/Early Winter '08, one of those Denville tournaments.

Apex, it was my first large scale tournament ever, and showed me how the scene can be so chill, and Denny's.

Red Robin, but seriously, when me/Atomsk/Ninjalink/Ally took a road trip to MD/VA.

The car ride with me/Atomsk/Ninjalink/Ally down to MD/VA, I don't think there was ever a dull moment.

EE and MVD.

Sparkling Water.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Late 06/Early 07 Competitively (Earlier than that casually)

Pound 3 - My first national, like my third tournament, over 100 setups for the same game, got to play Brawl a few days after it came out in Japan, first OOS tournament, meet all the pros, etc

Free weekend trip to Vegas

Probably either the Wedding Crashers spam in the Smashpocalypse thread, being chased by Velocity on a pogo stick, Eggm almost beating Inui in Brawl, or drunk Teczero

ToS members, vVv members, and Yes

Dr. Pepper

Coney

Smash Master
I always used to play casually with my small group of friends. I wanted to get into competitive Melee but didn't have the drive to learn the technical stuff, so I (and we) just said I'd be good at Brawl. Started playing competitively about year after it came out, and nearly all my friends lost interest in the game shortly thereafter.

It's really hard to say--it'd probably be APEX though. Though I was a little burnt out by the final day of the bracket, the whole thing was just run really well. Enjoyed everything from TK + I riding up on Friday to hitting up a Fuddruckers and getting, like, 50 rubber ducks on the way home.

Probably winning Xanadu, I guess. It may not seem like much since people look down on MD/VA but to win a regional with the entire PR + more in attendance was huge for me personally. I got a little lucky to be sure, but it was the tournament where I officially broke past whatever mental block was inhibiting me prior. To finally break past the "pretty good" barrier was cathartic after stagnating for a while around 5th.

Probably FNB smashfests, at a point we stop actually practicing and put on Smash Balls and ****, it's great.

There are very few people I actively distance myself from. I like this community a lot. I gravitate to my crew but generally I like being around everyone. If I gotta pick someone out of my own region though, Long Island is like, everything I love about the Smash community.

Pepsi Throwback, ******s.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
around 2006.

SNES - I love having a hotel be the venue for an event. It was hella fun and there were other things to do that weren't smash related.

money back@cot4.

^see above.

Everyone in ny/nj. :D

**** soda.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero

Late 2006, Doyoung asked me to play him in a 1 stock match. 7 seconds later, the match ended with an upthrow rest.

Probably the blue battle circuit where I did really well. 2-0'd Spam and 3-0'd Inui. Made it to top 2 and split with Frankieee.

I loved the ZB crew meets when Rookie and I would shiz talk each other to no end.

When I heard that at one point Pride didn't like me as a person because I counterpick him with wolf every set :laugh:

I enjoy being around anyone I can tolerate, really.

Vanilla Coke.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
When did you first get into smash? Tourney scene- September 2008. I've played since smash 64 was out, but not tournament wise.

What was your favorite tournament and why? Apex 2, because it was so awesome.

What's your favorite moment you've had during your time in the smash community? Beating Excel Zero at pound 4 was my favorite moment to this day.

What's your funniest moment in the smash community? I have so many unintentional troll moments that I'll just let Coney answer this question for me since he'll know lmao.

Whom do you enjoy being around the most in the smash community? Coney, Pink Fresh, Shadofiend, SSR, Tiger, and a lot of people, but those are some of my favorites.

What is your favorite soda? Diet coke.

pwiito

Banned via Warnings

Mid 09, I started picking the game more up other than that not really into smash.

Any viridian and JG smashfests, 4 got about em
Piercing through orion with my drill.
Playing mafia, and me just don't knowing the rules XD
Besides my crew duh(Sergio, Tyrell, jesus, keitaro), Zucco,Nairo,Doom and Gunblade.
DAT PURPLE DRANK

M@v

Subarashii!
Casually, since n64 was released.

Competitively, late '07. Started as my friends and I playing more seriously(FD/BF only, 4 stocks), and learning the tech basics. We then decided to start going to tourneys once brawl came out.

MLG orlando, and for a few reasons.

1. It was my first ever MLG experience, and it was overwhelming; the venue, the setups, the scale, everything.

2. I was in Florida at Disney for an internship at the time, so it was right in my backyard.

3.Florida had a breakout tourney here. It was super hyped.

4. I met one of the people I look up to most in the smash community, DEHF, for the first time here. I actually picked him up from the airport the night before with GDX. The rest of west coast was awesome as well.

5. My first national that I didn't do terrible at, lol. Top 50 was a so-so performance, but I gladly took it.

6. My first 3 day tourney.

What's your favorite moment you've had during your time in the smash community
It would be one of the many "All players swarm X food place after tourney and have a great time." A notable one to me was an invasion of a waffle house after one of HBOX's WATO tourneys, where we took up almost every single seat in the place.

Also, All the Hyped MLG Matches I saw + M2K vs Brood. GNES vs San at Apex as well.

Lastly, Watching DEHF win APEX 2010.

There were a lot of funny ones, but one I remember distinctly was D1 and I playing friendlies at COT4 as the venue was getting shut down, and us faking to stop several times before proceeding to play again.:troll:

This is more so a WTF moment than funny, but when I was a Wendy's with Ally, Atomsk, and Tyrant at MLG orlando, Atomsk proceeded to buy 12?(I dont remember the exact amount) Double stacks, then gave some of them away at the venue the next day :3

There are a lot of funny moments though; I can't remember them all off the top of my head. Maybe i'll update this later when I remember.

-My crew because they are also really good friends outside of smash, and I see them all the time.
-HungryBox because I'm really good friends with him, and hes such an awesome guy to be with at tourneys.
-D1, he's so much fun to be around. I met him at Cot4 and have seen him several times since. I really wish I could hang out with him more often, but I usually only see him at nationals D:
-DEHF, because of all of the awesome advice he's given me. Plus he's such a nice person.

Pepsi Throwback, ******s.
Coney knows what good soda is.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
The day before Brawl came out I got a Wii as a gift and I went to a midnight release for Brawl at a Gamecrazy store. Ended up winning the Melee tournament and got the 1st copy of the game there. The hype from that scrub tournament made me want a lot more. I didn't know there was a tourney scene until AiB. Then I went to SWR Presents 3 and well.... yeah

The New York one where I took 4th, Bum hosted it. I took out a lot of good players and did well for once. Doing well in the state that ***** me was a good feeling. The tourney fixx for that tournament was fun too.

I also liked Heero's 2nd tourney cuz Street Fighter with Edd was better than Brawl. Maybe even D1's little SF tournament at Viridian 8 too, cuz that was my first SF tournament ever.

So many moments with ZB and LOF to even mention.

but the best one was probably Oscar and I walking in the streets of Teaneck/Ridgefield Park yelling at the top of our lungs because we thought we were about to get run over.

SWR Smashfests have a place in my heart too, yo - them OG events were the ****.

Wendy's with Leap of Faith.
Watching my brother beat Cheese in the $30 moneymatch was also pretty hype.

Oscar, Zucco and Ether...

Oscar has them funny as jokes.
Zucco likes 10 year olds.
Ether is smart and plays other fighters. (TvC, NS:CoNR, SF)

Everyone is pretty chill for the most part.

Mountain Dew mixed with Hawaiin Punch, but I actually like Juice a lot more than soda.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Since day 1 of smash 64. I played with my friends in the neighborhood and it was our favorite game to play.

Uh, definitely MLG DC. It was what I always dreamed of when I started playing smash is that smash would be a big stage and that I could compete on it. I was able to do that. It was an experience I'll never forget.

I think for me was either beating Coney the last time we played or losing to June the 2nd time. When I beat coney it was when he was officially good so people couldn't say it was him playing bad because he beat me 2 weeks prior. But losing to june was significant because that's when I realized he was going to be the best player in our region soon. I recruited him and he became that.

Beating M@V with ddd or anytime i've beaten sin

YA BOI EE, Coney, Seagull, Allied, Blackanese, Atomsk, Inui, Cheese, Nakat, Keitaro, Pink Fresh, Thunderhorse, Junebug, Smash GOD, LLOD, B0NK and SOVAMan

Throwback Mountain Dew

ksizl4life

Smash Hero

SWR event 1 in spring 2008. was really taking it casually and not so seriously until m2k and rest of montage went to swr event 3. then the drive to get better and take it seriously arose in me.

Both Apex's were my favorite. Apex 1 was because I finally reached my goal of not being underrated and being know and Apex 2012 was just a perfect tourney.

Beating Ally at Pound 4 was pretty special to me, proving to myself and many others that last time i beat him wasn't a fluke like many thought.

Being around dmbrandon

Shadow, Atomsk, Zucco, dmbrandon, JG

Welsch Grape

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Early 2006. I met Inui through chess club and played him in Melee. I got introduced to the tournament scene through him.

Smashtastrophe 2. It was the biggest tournament I had been to up until that point, there was an epic car ride there, I got my revenge on Jason for beating me previously in a low tier tournament, and I beat Chu and Vidjo in singles.

In-game, me and Teczero had a gdlk series of Fox dittos on one of his visits to Rutgers. That was the absolute best gameplay I've ever played at and he was certainly playing absurdly well as well. Out of the game, there's waaay too many moments to pick a specific one.

Me, LK, and Xeorogue were playing Melee at LK's place and Inui calls LK asking for us to pick him up. I tell LK "tell him he has to get us food" so LK tells him "Kashif's driving, he's saying he's not going to bring us unless you get us Wendy's." When we park, me and Xeorogue swap seats(he was the one who actually drove) then LK knocked on Inui's door and we proceeded to have Wendy's paid for by Inui :). Inui finds out right before we get back in the car :).

Teczero. He's hilarious and one of the few people left from the NJ Melee scene from back when I used to play frequently.

Mountain Dew: Baja Blast

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Early 2006. I met Inui through chess club and played him in Melee. I got introduced to the tournament scene through him.

Smashtastrophe 2. It was the biggest tournament I had been to up until that point, there was an epic car ride there, I got my revenge on Jason for beating me previously in a low tier tournament, and I beat Chu and Vidjo in singles.

In-game, me and Teczero had a gdlk series of Fox dittos on one of his visits to Rutgers. That was the absolute best gameplay I've ever played at and he was certainly playing absurdly well as well. Out of the game, there's waaay too many moments to pick a specific one.

Me, LK, and Xeorogue were playing Melee at LK's place and Inui calls LK asking for us to pick him up. I tell LK "tell him he has to get us food" so LK tells him "Kashif's driving, he's saying he's not going to bring us unless you get us Wendy's." When we park, me and Xeorogue swap seats(he was the one who actually drove) then LK knocked on Inui's door and we proceeded to have Wendy's paid for by Inui :). Inui finds out right before we get back in the car :).

Teczero. He's hilarious and one of the few people left from the NJ Melee scene from back when I used to play frequently.

Mountain Dew: Baja Blast
That's a great ****ing story bro, but...who are you?

Top Bottom