• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Ask Seagull" Thread

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:metaknight:, :diddy:, :wario:, :toonlink:, and :snake: are all excellent partners. He should be used as a tank and as someone who kills reliably.

:018:

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Any tips on doing Wolf's DACUS consistently?

When/Where should I be using Wolf's DACUS in singles (and/or doubles) gameplay?

How do you open up very defensive players?

I seem to have problems right now with people who do stuff like walk forward, power shield through my bairs and lasers and/or spotdodge accordingly when I get in close. Even after I try to 'fake' them out with bairs and air dodges.

I'd need a good video on this problem though and if anything I hope to post it here after my next tournament on the 25th January should I get some Wolf games in there. Although I want to go all Marth in that one but I'll try to get some videos nontheless.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Any tips on doing Wolf's DACUS consistently?

When/Where should I be using Wolf's DACUS in singles (and/or doubles) gameplay?

How do you open up very defensive players?

I seem to have problems right now with people who do stuff like walk forward, power shield through my bairs and lasers and/or spotdodge accordingly when I get in close. Even after I try to 'fake' them out with bairs and air dodges.

I'd need a good video on this problem though and if anything I hope to post it here after my next tournament on the 25th January should I get some Wolf games in there. Although I want to go all Marth in that one but I'll try to get some videos nontheless.
I'm gonna answer all these questions in order.

I have my Z set to attack and tap jump off. It makes it easier for me to Dacus. :wolf:'s Dacus is still probably the most difficult to do consistently so you're gonna have to practice accordingly.

Dacus should be used as a mixup, true combo out of bair at mid percents, to an opponent trying to land, and in doubles.

You do not "open up" defensive players. You play the patient game. :wolf: will lose if you play recklessly/aggro vs most characters. You have great spacing tools and a projectile. Few characters should force an approach from :wolf:.

Don't spotdodge. It's never a good option for :wolf: except to catch the end seconds of :metaknight:'s nado. Don't try to fake out with airdodges. It's simply useless in my opinion unless you're dodging a move that has great range (mach tornado for example). Space your bairs better. You should not be punished for bairs unless you are:
1) Fighting a D3
2) Respecting your opponents moveset
3) Spacing poorly

Get some videos and post them to my wall. I'll provide feedback and tell you where I see you need improvement.

:018:

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Dacus is easy, lol, but I learned how to dacus with sheik first, so :o

Dacus is good for punishing MK's tornados cool down. I've gotten kills vs actual good players (Kansas) who didn't respect the cooldown. I think I got 2 stocked though because I died at like 40 % on my 2nd stock :/

"You should not be punished for bairs unless you are:
1) Fighting a D3"

Fact.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Is the dacus absolutely necessary to have a competent wolf? I ask this because I would have to change my control scheme a bit to being able to accommodate the Dacus. Also, what are good uses or times to use wolf's tilts and d-air?

Slyer

Smash Cadet
So...I keep losing on All is Brawl ladder. MKs are the worst, everything else I am to blame.

I tend to laser them out of tornadoes and shuttle loops and am so evasive at times it almost seems like I'm moonwalking. This doesn't help much, as you might imagine.

The better the connection the better I do, which is a paradox as MKs are said to be very technical, or is this hype?

Ironic as it is, I'm told I DI way too far out before using non-shortened side b's in recovery, yet when MK pursues there's a good chance of a flash spike.

Is there anything I can do besides abuse wifi with smashes and laser vs. MK? I've watched your matches and use reflector as well but by the time we both land MK is...

lol

Bair is great when it breaks through but that's not very often because the sword is everywhere.

Long story short guess you've had this one before but since this is the present and not the past, was wondering what you favor. Thanks for your time.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Is the dacus absolutely necessary to have a competent wolf? I ask this because I would have to change my control scheme a bit to being able to accommodate the Dacus. Also, what are good uses or times to use wolf's tilts and d-air?
Well I ain't Seagull, but I find dair useful against inexperienced opponents as a spike, or for short hop mind games and free damage (short hop over as they approach and land a dair, works well against many characters except for a few like Marth.

D-tilt is an excellent disruption option. Its fast and has good range, which I use when someone is trying to jab lock me or I need to space myself or regain my composure.

I rarely use S-tilt or U-tilt. S-Smash is a better tool than side tilt and isn't as punishable against shields, and U-Smash offers bigger hitboxes (or you just short hop aerial an opponent above you instead). Sometimes I'll use U-tilt as a surprise KO option against fast opponents, and I usually use S-tilt as combo filler.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
Is it worth pursuing brawl, especially when maining wolf and when it has deteriorated to the point of near irrelevancy?

Top Bottom