• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide The art of the can ~In Progress~

NZ Vampir3

Smash Rookie
NZ Vampir3 submitted a new guide:

Cans ~ Explained - The up, down, left, right, centre and inside-out of his cans.

Ah, Duck Hunt. The majestic dog and duck (DHD) have been, in my opinion, is very underrated. Maybe that's because I main him? But it doesn't matter, his cans are easily one of the best moves in his arsenal. DHD has trouble killing because his only realistic kill moves are U-air and his cans, therefore, knowing how and when to use his cans is great knowledge. So without further ado, let's get into it!

Data:
The can explodes on contact or over time dealing 11% damage, but it...
Read more about this guide...

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
The thing to remember about good can tactics is that the duck can do some great things through dash and tilt attacks. A dash atk to the can will send it in an arching lob if you initiate the dash atk cleanly. You can interrupt it's trajectory by pressing b. This is good for making your foe drop shield because it looks to soar over and past them. Just press b and suddenly it's falling like a brick. If you dash atk while half past the can it will actually lob behind you. I call it reverse lob. Those unfamiliar with duck hunt can be caught off guard by this. Proper placement can make this a good edge guarding tool. Again, midair b will interrupt it. However, this time it will rebound towards you. Learning to reverse lob and rebound effectively takes some practice, but it pays when you already have the upper hand.

Dtilt will send the can furthest and fastest forward. Ftilt is a marginally shorter distance. Utilt will send it above and slightly horizontal in the direction of whichever side you hit it. If you utilt with it in front of you it'll land behind you. U tilt is my least favorite outside of surprise kills. The can's constant proximity can catch you in the explosion.

Aerial atks against the can are ineffective in the air. Utilt would be better if they weren't, but you can only use aerials on a grounded can. In my research the difference between Nair Fair and Bair is so negligible that there isn't any significant advantage to any of the three. All three result in good horizontal coverage. Nair launches the can respective to where the contact is made. I find Nair easier.

I'm not going to get into throws and percentages that link up with the can. There is already a ton of data out there on that. The last thing I want to talk about is can fuse. Ten seconds after it is tossed it will glow the explode on it's own. Pressing b 8 times consecutively after tossing it will also light the fuse. 6 utilts will result in fusion lob upwards. I dunno if anyone or duck hunt community has a better name for the technique, but I call it a fusion lob when a tilt, dash, or aerial starts the fuse while launching the can. I only recently started trying to control this. Time, hits taken, and type of hits all affect the fuse. Knowing exactly how to control the circumstances is a bit unpredictable. However, fusion lobs travel much quicker and soar higher than normal lobs, thus resulting in earlier kos if landed. When I learn more about setting up fusion lobs I will expand further on the tactic.

Last edited:

KingNemba

Smash Cadet
Utilt is a good option for reversing can direction without hopping. Or if you happen to be standing on it. Face the direction you want it to go, utilt, once it lands it will pop that direction.

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
I only see u tilt as a very situational use with can. The time/frames spent make it risky if your opponent is up close. sure you hit them, but you get hurt too.

If they are far enough away you can better spend your time positioning for a tilt or aerial against the can. The more you hit it the less range each respective blow will cause. U tilt is mostly meaningless if you are constantly in range to punish your opponent with a tilt or Nair.

Only a fellow duck hunter will be able to actively track which direction the can will trick shot at all times, so generally they will attack it as safe as possible or largely dedicate to working around it.

I understand that there may be times that it can be smart to do that, but I definitely wouldn't bank on it. Dtilt and aerials will get that can moving way further and faster outside of a fusion lob. Fusion up tilt can KO at good percents, but the set up takes precision.

Last edited:
Top Bottom