• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The announcer

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Who would you like to see as the announcer for SSB Switch? For me personally, i hope SSB Switch is first game with a female announcer. I'm not an radical feminist or anything, i just would think it'd be cool.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Female announcer would be neat but Xander was so great and I'd rather he just return tbh, he's been the best announcer the series has had so far.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
The fact that people on the Internet have to clarify that they’re “not an SJW or anything” just because they’d like to see a woman or a minority take on a role is one of my least favorite things about digital society. Diversity should not be demonized. If believing that makes me an evil, bloodsucking SJW, then so be it.

...Anyways, the only concern I would have with a woman taking the role would be that, iirc. Master Hand is supposed to be the announcer. I know he changes voices every time anyways, but it might be a bit odd for the character to change that drastically.

Other than that, I wouldn’t mind at all, as long as they can bring the hype like the previous announcers. I just want someone to shout “SUPER SMAAAAAAASH BROTHERRRRRRSSSSSS” like the good old days.

Last edited:

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
The fact that people on the Internet have to clarify that they’re “not an SJW or anything” just because they’d like to see a woman or a minority take on a role is one of my least favorite things about digital society. Diversity should not be demonized. If believing that makes me an evil, bloodsucking SJW, then so be it.
I guess i should've used the word radical feminist

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I guess i should've used the word radical feminist
Nah it wasn’t your word choice, I just think it’s kind of silly that people feel the need to defend themselves because they support something as simple as a woman voicing a character in a video game, or playing one in a movie. It’s like saying “I like eating fruit sometimes, but don’t get me wrong I’m not a vegan or anything!”

I wasn’t trying to call you out in particular, so I’m sorry if I came off as rude... It’s just something I see a lot on the Internet, and it’s a bit of a pet peeve.

But anyways, this is getting way off topic so I’ll just call it off at this point. Sorry mods and OP.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I really loved the feature to change the announcer's voice in Fire Emblem Warriors. It may be different for Smash because the announcer has to sound EPIC! at all times, but then again, that's what editing/altering is for.

So there'd be different announcers besides the default, which would be Xander again hopefully. If they had one for every speaking character that'd be amazing. They wouldn't even have to sound epic, just believable for the character. EPIC!Announcer is pretty much a generic trope for fighting games anyway. Having some variation might be good for once.

Like Palutena would just state the name of the fighter matter-factly. As would Ike or Fox. Bayonetta would just describe them instead of naming them, (Dark Pit is Angsty Angel, Mac is Shorty, etc). Peach would happily announce everyone, but stumble a bit before announcing Bowser/Bowser Jr/Maybe Ganondorf.

If this becomes a thing then :4bayonetta2: better call herself "a total witch" when she's selected. :^)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Why not both male and female? It can be an option, and I'd dig that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I want to see Jeff Manning (the 64 announcer) return with his over the top announcer calls.

"A NEW RECORD!!!!!" (screaming at the top of his lungs :))

Xander's good though so I wouldn't mind if he returns.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Who would you like to see as the announcer for SSB Switch? For me personally, i hope SSB Switch is first game with a female announcer. I'm not an radical feminist or anything, i just would think it'd be cool.
As Unrealistic as it sounds! I think it would be cool to for Smash 5 to have either James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman, Or Christopher Sabat as announcers!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
As Unrealistic as it sounds! I think it would be cool to for Smash 5 to have either James Earl Jones, Morgan Freeman, Or Christopher Sabat as announcers!
Sabat as the announcer would be hilarious!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I still hold out hope that Terry Crews could possibly be the announcer.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
As awesome as a female announcer is, I think male announcers deliver a bit more power in their lines.

You know, they just have that OOMPH that is vital for building hype. (To be fair, the first 4 Dead or Alive games had a pretty good female announcer).

Though, nothing compares to the KI announcer, Mike, yelling out ULTRAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:

However, I do think that having the option to change the announcer voice would be fantastic.

D

Deleted member

It'll probably be some guy we never heard of. If series tradition says anything, Mobus won't be back.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Seriously, after playing the original Super Smash Flash when I was younger, I've been quite partial to the idea of a female announcer. Honestly, I'd like for Smash for Switch to have an option where you can switch between a male and female announcer.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Just get Wayne June to reprise his voice of the Darkest Dungeon narrator, except he commentates his dreadful monologues as my character teeters on the verge of a KO.

Just wait till you reach 300%:
"Pushed to the precipice of its use, the body cavorts & crumbles under the exhausting fumes of duress."

Last edited:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Maybe the devs could be ambitious and have multiple announcers.

You would have the default announcer, but then you could have, say, Mario be an announcer. Or how about Robin? Ganon? ZSS? Other fighting games (mainly ArcSys games) have had the fighters be announcers, so it would be cool if Smash did something like that too.

CursedKaiju

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinion but basically anyone besides Xander, I don't know specifically why I don't like him but I just don't.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
A woman announcer with a really powerful voice could be awesome, it would indeed be a big change so maybe add man/woman options so people can choose, like ppl mentioned before?

And I just don't want Xander to come back. His voice in Smash kind of aged like milk to me, especially in that 50-fact extravaganza Direct

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
Dean Harrington from Melee. He made the best Master Hand, and we could also have Xander for Crazy Hand

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
Co-announcers! I like that!

Male: Choose your character.
Female: Marth! Fox!
Male: Wii Fit Trainer! Bayonetta!
Female: Choose your stage.
Male: Mute City!
Female: 3
Male: 2
Female: 1
Female & Male Together: Go!

edit:
Just thought of something I think could be quite wicked, though EXTRA extra, if you know what I mean.

FIRST of all, the Phonetic Guide!
Yes, with this, players can get the announcer to say their alias precisely as they'd want. They could even say some other things that come from your profile or things about your match history.

So let's retract the kind of talk that happens @ "Choose your stage" in the original example above. By now, the announcers are talking as if live tournament commentators.

Male: jwillenn (says it as I told it to using the phonetic guide) hasn't won a match since last week. Today he's trying this Mallo+Wii Fit Trainer duo he has never used before in an online match, so it will be interesting to see if his luck changes with any new ideas he may have working on.
Female: Yeah, and with the "Sonic" half of gottagoslow's duo being a known hurdle for Mallo's movement speed, I can imagine he'll want to Swap to Wii Fit Trainer more often, so I expect a lot of Smash Gauge to be spent on that.

Maybe all of that went down at some point immediately after characters are selected, through a stage vote phase, and the typical brief warm up phase.

So you have to think of Splatoon dialogue between the squid sisters during update notification phase. There always seems to be something new. Well, Smash brings that flavor to the announcement game with brief statements pre and post match!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
a female announcer would be cool

is it weird that part of me wants the job of the announcer?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Unpopular opinion but basically anyone besides Xander, I don't know specifically why I don't like him but I just don't.
Maybe it's because he's a pretty boy. Or perhaps his name sounds unrealistic, like it was something the parents thought would be cool. Or it could be because he's a young voice actor. Either way, when he says "Greninja", he sounds like Homer Simpson. When he says, "Bowser . . . Jr.", it makes me think, "Why not just say 'Bowser' as you do when Bowser is being selected?" "Jr." sounds forced when he says it. Anyway, antipathy is what you're experiencing.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'd rather just stick to one. I like that each game has a single announcer unique to that specific title. Plus, there's the "tradition" of having the announcer also voice Master Hand, which is always fun.

I'd be more than fine with a female announcer though, but if they do that I want it to be the announcer in the game. And in the end, if they do have the option, it'd kinda feel like "okay, we can do a female announcer but only if it's optional!"

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I don't really care who it is so long as they treat everything as if shouting it enthusiastically will get them a million bucks lol

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Xander and a female announcer working together (maybe we’d also get a female Hand...Mistress/Queen Hand or something like that)

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I... thought I was in the newcomer speculation thread. Was picturing a guy in a suit that would summon different fighters by calling their names.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I hope Xander returns this time. (I do wonder if he also did Biff from the Arms trailers and the NWC announcer with a different voice than in Smash?)

Also, I'd like to hear some bonus dialogue if the 2nd place finisher loses their last stock in a unique way instead of the usual "Game!" or "Game set!"
which is
"EXCELLENT!" (When the battle ends with a Final Smash KO. The announcer in Pokken Tournament says that when the losing Pokemon is KO'd by a Synergy Burst attack.)

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather not have a female announcer just for the sake of it being female (SJWs incoming)

I really loved Xander, but i believe every smash needs to have its own announcer to feel unique, also if Smash 5 is a port/sequel like Splatoon 2, a new announcer will help feel like a new game even more.

bipedal

Smash Rookie
If we had the option of a female announcer, Ellen McClain would be cool, since she does a lot of gaming work. When she doesn't have the voice filter that makes her sound like GLaDOS, she is pretty commanding (she's also an opera singer!)

Top Bottom