• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Advanced How To Play Video (AHTP)

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wak's Website: http://wakvid.swordgard.com

The Advanced How To Play is based on the advanced techniques of the game Super Smash Bros. Melee. Before you download or watch the vid, it is ESSENTIAL that you read this text, otherwise, watching the video will be totally useless. YOU HAVE TO READ THIS TEXT TO UNDERSTAND THE VIDEO.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Introduction
My How To Play video (HTP) was conceived to teach people about the different advanced techniques in the game. No, I’m not talking about that time your friend used the hookshot to make it back on the stage with Link. I’m talking about the techs that the creators of the game unintentionally put in the game. These techniques may consist of only pressing one button (l-canceling). Others might be done by executing complex series of inputs (waveshielding). It’s imperative to note that 90% of the techniques showed in these 4 vids might seems easy to do, but it might take you many months of practicing and training to executed them flawlessly in your regular playing. Some of these techniques might even not be flawlessly executed 100% of the time.

Table of contents
Objective of the videos
Why should you use these techniques?
These techniques won’t make you better as soon as you learn them.
When is the best time to use a new technique?
In the video, you show a certain technique, but I can’t do it. How do I do it?
I know this technique, but I don’t use it.
Final Word

Objective of the videos
The objective of the videos is to help you learn the techniques needed to reach the tournament level. Of course, you may already beat your friends or some players with your actual skills, but unfortunately, without using the techniques in these videos, you are probably just a newbie.

Why should you use these techniques?
Like you will realize, I don’t spend a very big amount of time on each technique's example. The reason is simple: each technique is useful, but using them sometimes depends on the situation. I could make an hour long movie to cover all the different uses of a certain technique, but we don’t have that much time, do we.... I have given in some cases an example of what to do with some techniques. The best way of learning is if you actually go out there, and work on finding uses for each technique.

These techniques won’t make you better as soon as you learn them.
Obviously, these techniques will improve your playing. Question is, do you know WHEN to use each technique? Maybe you fail to use a certain technique. Unfortunately, EVERY technique is specifically used for a precise reason in the game, and is used regularly in every game. You have to realize that some techniques are used more with some characters and less with others. Wavedashing with Captain Falcon is not a necessity at high level, BUT it can still bring some advantages for spacing, etc. It’s all relative.

When is the best time to use a new technique?
Knowing when to use a technique is the first step towards improvement. To get a better idea of when to use a technique, you might have to go watch vs vids in the video section of www.smashboards.com. The single best way to improve, and to know when to use a technique is from playing other players. First hand contact with other styles, other types of playing is the best way to get experience. It helps you expand your vision as a smasher. Play people more experienced than you, and help people not as good as you reach your level. If they get as good as you, they might even come to surpass you, and you will them try to reach their level and so forth. Try looking on boards for tournaments, smashfests and players in your neighborhood or city (Watch out for Internet predators though!)

In the video, you show a certain technique, but I can’t do it. How do you do it?
Like I said before, these techniques require a considerate amount of practice. It can vary from a few weeks to even years when learning different characters. The only way you can achieve success is with practicing.
WARNING: If you really can’t do a technique in the video, DO NOT MAKE A NEW THREAD ASKING HOW TO PERFORM IT! People will tell you to look at the HTP, moderators will warn you to not make any more threads like that, and you might even get suspended or banned. Starting a new thread is the worst way to get what you want when you have all the info already. All the techniques are well explained and well defined. If you don’t know how to do a technique after watching, the only problem is you. It’s normal to not find a use for a certain technique at first, but that comes with experience.
IF you STILL don't believe me, watch This THREAD.

I know this technique, but I don’t use it.
You might not use it, but I’m sure that it would help your game in many ways. Using these techniques will, at the end of the day, make you better. Of course, the experience needed to use them only comes by playing other people better than you.

Final Word
These videos are meant to help you get better by showing you all what are the advanced techniques in the game. My vids will not show you “how to play”.

Even though the Advanced HTP is complete and well explained, it is possible that you may question some of the things you’ve just read. If you have comments about the vids, I STRONGLY suggest that you post in the thread where you found these vids instead of personally questioning me.

Please understand that this work was done in my own free time, and took hundreds of hours of work. I’m not doing it for the money, I made it out of my own will, and I’m proud of my work. Negatively degrading my work with some comments will not only hurt me, but will also show a total lack of respect, and a weak mind when it comes to criticism. I will accept constructive criticism though, if it helps me improve my work as well as the thinking process of all of us.

I hope, in the end, that you enjoy watching the vids, and that they help you improve to become a better smasher. Thanks for reading.

Text translated by Chesterr01

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Once you have read the text, you will be able to watch the videos without any problems.

You can see how my vid is going Here.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATE(28/05/06):
Okay, the first part of the vid is finally released!

UPDATE(10/06/06):
I corrected the grammatical errors in part 1. You can view the part 1.01 (lol...) only via rapidshare or youtube.

UPDATE(11/06/06):
Finally, the part 1 is still the same part 1 as before. When I finished my corrections on it yesterday, Adobe Premiere crashed and said everything has been saved. I trusted it and compressed it...

But the program didn't save anything... Too bad I guess.

HERE IT IS! The part 2 is now available! I hope you will enjoy watching it, and don't forget to leave me a comment!

I also give a date for the release of part 3: july 5. Stay tuned!

Video 1:
http://www.wakvid.swordgard.com/AHTP_p1_demo1.avi
(principal host)
Thanks to Swordgard who host this video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6291416880228194155
(google video link)

http://rapidshare.de/files/22718446/AHTP_Part1_Final.avi.html
(rapidshare link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
(youtube link)

http://www.filefactory.com/?b4cf63
(Other link)

Video 2:
http://wakvid.swordgard.com/AHTP_Part2_Final.avi
(principal host)

http://rapidshare.de/files/22775167/AHTP_Part2_Final.avi.html
(Rapidshare link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E
(Youtube link)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4671997040953353873
(google video link)

Video 3:
wakvid.swordgard.com/AHTP_Part3_Final.avi
(Principal host)

http://rapidshare.de/files/24969273/AHTP_Part3_Final.avi.html
(Rapidshare link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM
(Youtube link)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2617644260287560179
(Google video link)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6268917341431368191
(ALL IN ONE VIDEO, really poor quality)

NOTE: You need divx codec to play this video. It's available Here.

Link_Wins

Smash Apprentice
wow this is looking great, it so9unds like it will help new members ALOT at their game (like me) i cant wait to see the video itself!

airball

Smash Apprentice
Trying to find out why kids love Cinnamon Toast Cr
I've got to hand this one to you, I wouldn't have been able to stay focussed and organized long enough to pull this off.

Personally, I find it easier to learn from reading the forums and guides, but some people learn better through visuals. This video might help answer questions from those who have a hard time learning via text only. Great job, it will surely help many newcomers.

Razorcloud

Smash Cadet
thank you!!! i started with bowser because he is easy to push to high levels. you dont really need any fancy tricks. (compare the techniques in boozer cute to shined blind or soldier of fotrune) but i want to go falco. i can wave dash and stuff but i dont know how to recover really fast in the air to do the shine pillar combo. Im sure i will walk away from the video twice as good.

Sensai

Smash Master
This....

Is great. Thanks a ton. I'm not a complete n00b, but it'll definitely help to cement those few things that I'm not excellent at (Waveshielding, Smash outta Shield, Fox Trotting, Meteor Cancelling, and Pwershielding).

Once again, thanks a ton in advance.

Gugeno

Smash Rookie
In my opinion you should make an indepth part for every technique on the finger movements. Just a split screen of how you move your hands to do it, and how it goes on the screen. Wave dashing as an example.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Gugeno said:
In my opinion you should make an indepth part for every technique on the finger movements. Just a split screen of how you move your hands to do it, and how it goes on the screen. Wave dashing as an example.
Read this thread to know why I will not capture my hands performing a wavedash or anything else related in the video.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Zefyrinus said:
Yay! What kind is it, I mean lika youtube, rapidshare, megaupload? (Please say it's youtube or google.)
Put it on multiple sites, in case some people prefer one over the other or one of the sites goes down..

F8X

Smash Ace
It's tomorrow already XD

Anyway Wak I just wanted to congratulate you and all of the other people who helped you out with this video. IMO I think that if done correctly (not implying that you did a crappy job, of course) will be the greatest melee vid of all time because it will help break the gap between the being a "n00b" and a "pro". Or at least help it.

Wak said:
Try looking on boards for tournaments, smashfests and players in your neighborhood or city (Watch out for Internet predators though!)
The best advice on smash I have ever read, no joke.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, the first part of the vid is finally released!

wakvid.swordgard.com/AHTP_p1_demo1.avi

Copy paste this link to your navigation toolbar, it should works.

F8X

Smash Ace
Very Well done wak, there was really nothing bad about the video that I could find. It was a good mix of text and video. I personally thought the wavedashing part was well done with the demonstration. The L-Canceled part, and the SHFFLED parts were very well done wak. Can't wait for the next vid :)

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
F8X said:
Very Well done wak, there was really nothing bad about the video that I could find. It was a good mix of text and video. I personally thought the wavedashing part was well done with the demonstration. The L-Canceled part, and the SHFFLED parts were very well done wak. Can't wait for the next vid :)
thanks a lot for leaving a comment, f8x =)

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
It doesn't work anymore :( just says page could not be displayed, please fix!
I can't dl off rapidshare and the other link just says page cannot pe displayed. Please either fix the link or host on megaupload of filefactory, I really want to see this

Nurok

Smash Lord
Inferno, it does work..
i just saw it.
what i would like to say, Two thumbs up. I have been wtaching the progress of how this video was made since the beginning, and you pulled through. VERY nicely done.
teh n3wbst3rs would be proud to see this and FINALY achieve a new level of playmanship
-edun

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Doesn't work for me, I copy the link into my web browser and it just goes to a page cannot be displayed, maybe you need firefox :/

Switched to firefox and it works :D

Smashmaniac_91

Smash Journeyman
Very good job, Wak. Each tech is explained correctly and the ways to practice them are good too. I think in the future when someone asks how to perform one of those, everybody will give them a link to your vid^^ Well done.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Wow just watched it. That was amazing, I enjoyed it all, the little bits of humour were great. you could litterally sell this, it's good enough, if anyone asks me how to do stuff I'll link em here :D I can't wait for the next bit.

amnesiac

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to say anything, except for: vote 4 sticky, not later than after finishing all of the parts :)

awesome job, seriously. this should help some players =)
and I mean the part with the sticky. I'd like to contact a moderator on this.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
wow thanks a lot for this guys =)
I got a friend saying that my video was not egnouth explaining things. Even after watching my 2 fist parts of the vid, he didn't know how to use wavedashes... It disrouraged me...

but you guys cheer me soo much... I really want to finish the video now ;)

InS

Smash Rookie
Can someone put it somewhere other then rapidshare that site is whack for downloading.

Top Bottom