• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The adorable balloon-wearing kid heroine! Alice from Balloon Kid for Smash Ultimate!

D

Deleted member

Well, well, well! Someone's been a busybody, huh? Seriously, this looks real nice! I hope to see the finished model soon!
Thank you. Also you won't have to wait long anymore, as the model is, in fact, finished by now. Right now I'm doing some basic texture work, though don't expect anything fancy, I'm still no 2d artist. It's definitely done by Sunday, if not sooner.

BTW, I can't remember if this was you, but someone was working was working on a Brawl mod that replaced... well, I can't remember what stage it was, but Pencilvania (Alice's hometown) was modded in, and it actually looked really nice. Was it you who did that, or am I thinking of someone else?
Yes, that was me. I did it back in 2014 to learn how to animate Brawl stages. I could definitely do a much better modeling job nowadays, but I don't think I'll ever remake it, sorry to say. At least not in the near future as I have other projects planned. To be exact, I have 4 specific character models planned that are of a high priority to me, some more well known than others.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pretty intrigued by how Alice's still not been added to Smash Ultimate as a Spirit. You'd think with everything there, she'd be among the "dead"...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Pretty intrigued by how Alice's still not been added to Smash Ultimate as a Spirit. You'd think with everything there, she'd be among the "dead"...

As morbid as this might be, I have to agree. Heck, the Nintendo Dream magazine thing I posted a while back even seems to imply that Ninty hasn't totally forgotten about her. Then again, it seems that Nintendo had a whole team to deal with Spirits, and maybe they just didn't do much research?

Thank you. Also you won't have to wait long anymore, as the model is, in fact, finished by now. Right now I'm doing some basic texture work, though don't expect anything fancy, I'm still no 2d artist. It's definitely done by Sunday, if not sooner.
Well, I still can't to see it! Heck, I'm pretty sure you'll be the first to make a 3D Alice model at all, so...

Yes, that was me. I did it back in 2014 to learn how to animate Brawl stages. I could definitely do a much better modeling job nowadays, but I don't think I'll ever remake it, sorry to say. At least not in the near future as I have other projects planned. To be exact, I have 4 specific character models planned that are of a high priority to me, some more well known than others.
Ah, OK. I thought that was you.

D

Deleted member

Well, here it is, textures not yet 100% done, just some very small details missing, nothing big. I don't have much time, so I'll go into detail later.
Basically, adjusted some colors, added bloomers, buttons and the rabbit to the dress. Also some proportions were changed. If curious, there's an easy comparison on the previous page.

Last edited by a moderator:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I have wanted Balloon Fighter as a retro rep since Brawl. He is just behind Dixie Kong and Banjo Kazooie for my most wanted.

That said, Alice has the potential to bring so many unique things such as a Pencilvania stage and balance out the male heavy roster, that I’d be more than happy for her to get in.

I love me some retro characters, from well known to obscure, and one of the charms of Smash is introducing new generations to such quirky old characters. Did I know who Ice Climbers were as a kid when they were in Melee? God no. And yet I was intrigued and charmed by them nonetheless. Relevancy is a boring fan-made criteria.

So count me a supporter and may the best balloon fighter win! (Or even better, both Alice and Balloon Fighter)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I have wanted Balloon Fighter as a retro rep since Brawl. He is just behind Dixie Kong and Banjo Kazooie for my most wanted.

That said, Alice has the potential to bring so many unique things such as a Pencilvania stage and balance out the male heavy roster, that I’d be more than happy for her to get in.

I love me some retro characters, from well known to obscure, and one of the charms of Smash is introducing new generations to such quirky old characters. Did I know who Ice Climbers were as a kid when they were in Melee? God no. And yet I was intrigued and charmed by them nonetheless. Relevancy is a boring fan-made criteria.

So count me a supporter and may the best balloon fighter win! (Or even better, both Alice and Balloon Fighter)
And you're on the support list, GillyGrime GillyGrime ! Congrats!

Well, it seems we have quite a bit in common! I absolutely love Nintendo's retro/obscure characters myself, and Alice and the Balloon Fighter are no exception. In fact, part of what I adore about Smash is its tendency to introduce their more retro/obscure/off-the-wall characters to a wider audience, such as the Ice Climbers, Mr G&W, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B.

D

Deleted member

Big update time. The model is now 100% done, textures and all. I shrunk the hair slightly and increased the poly count a bit compared to last time which I think makes it looks much better this way. So here it is:

And as a little joke, I did this:
An Alice inspired outfit
So that's it. Model is fully completed, including texture work (I didn't get any feedback, so I assume there's nothing to complain about). Personally, I'm kinda happy with how it turned out. Also you might have noticed I did another slight bonus by making an alternative shirt. One is a normal t-shirt, the other has puffy sleeves. The normal shirt is on most official artwork, but I didn't want to let the work I did on the other one go to waste.

Well, with Alice finished I'll be taking a short break and then move on to one of the other three characters I wanna make: Ayumi, Mach Rider or Valkyrie. I find those old and obscure (some more, some less) characters interesting and like to bring some more attention to them by making 3d model, especially when I have a personal history with them like those 3 mentioned above. But that's for another time and place.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Big update time. The model is now 100% done, textures and all. I shrunk the hair slightly and increased the poly count a bit compared to last time which I think makes it looks much better this way. So here it is:

And as a little joke, I did this:
An Alice inspired outfit
So that's it. Model is fully completed, including texture work (I didn't get any feedback, so I assume there's nothing to complain about). Personally, I'm kinda happy with how it turned out. Also you might have noticed I did another slight bonus by making an alternative shirt. One is a normal t-shirt, the other has puffy sleeves. The normal shirt is on most official artwork, but I didn't want to let the work I did on the other one go to waste.

Well, with Alice finished I'll be taking a short break and then move on to one of the other three characters I wanna make: Ayumi, Mach Rider or Valkyrie. I find those old and obscure (some more, some less) characters interesting and like to bring some more attention to them by making 3d model, especially when I have a personal history with them like those 3 mentioned above. But that's for another time and place.
I'm sorry for not responding to this sooner. I can't speak for anyone else, I personally like the model. Although, I feel like the hair may need a bit more 'polish'. Also, nice take on the alt. for Alice. Honestly, I see it working as an alt. for Alice, if she ever made it into Smash.

Speaking of which, do you all think someone like Alice has a shot at being one of the additional DLC characters past the Fighter's Pass? In fact, do you all think we'll ever get a Spirit event that focuses on adding new retro spirits to the game? With that, do you all think Alice would be added into Smash Ultimate through something like this?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Didn't expect to get feedback after so many months. Well, sorry to say it's coming a bit too late, I'm done with the model for good and have no intention of picking it up again, sorry.

And to answer your other question, I'm afraid to disappoint you as well. I've stopped with all kinds of Smash speculation. It's just not worth the headache, so I'll just go with the flow when it comes to Smash Bros nowadays.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Didn't expect to get feedback after so many months. Well, sorry to say it's coming a bit too late, I'm done with the model for good and have no intention of picking it up again, sorry.
Yeah, my account didn't alert me that people were still posting in the Alice thread. That said, I apologize for replying to you SO late in the game.

As for the second thing, I totally understand. TBH, even I'm not all that serious with Smash speculation anymore myself. Heck, if I'm being absolutely honest with myself, I guess I just wanted to bump this thread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't sweat it, the notifications can be a bit finicky. It's just that, at least for the time being, I've stopped messing with 3d models completely, as I don't find any joy in it right now.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Don't sweat it, the notifications can be a bit finicky. It's just that, at least for the time being, I've stopped messing with 3d models completely, as I don't find any joy in it right now.
Oh, yeah. Definitely gets a tad annoying at times having to look through so many pages just to see what I've been missing out on. Anyways, I'm just glad you even bothered to do the Alice model at all. Heaven knows she's not exactly a character who's got anything big going on recently.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, yeah. Definitely gets a tad annoying at times having to look through so many pages just to see what I've been missing out on. Anyways, I'm just glad you even bothered to do the Alice model at all. Heaven knows she's not exactly a character who's got anything big going on recently.
She did at least get a re-release on the 3DS (though only Japan still gets the GBC one, beggars aren't choosers). It's still more than some people get (just look at the poor fellow Pax Softnica hero Goku, guy got his game skipped on GBA and onwards for dumb reasons...).

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
She did at least get a re-release on the 3DS (though only Japan still gets the GBC one, beggars aren't choosers). It's still more than some people get (just look at the poor fellow Pax Softnica hero Goku, guy got his game skipped on GBA and onwards for dumb reasons...).
Oh, right. Balloon Kid DID get that 3DS re-release. In fact, I almost forgot that Nintendo recently revealed that they haven't forgotten about her either. Aside from the 3DS re-release of her game, Alice herself also appears as one of MANY Nintendo character stickers that can be found in the 300th of Nintendo Dream (Japan's equivalent of Nintendo Power Magazine in the U.S.).

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I was near-convinced Alice would get into Ultimate. Eh, it's not totally out of the question yet, though.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I was near-convinced Alice would get into Ultimate. Eh, it's not totally out of the question yet, though.
Yeah, Alice may be obscure as heck, but it seems like the #1 rule that Smash has is that you must have gotten your start as a video game character. Otherwise, anything else seems to be fair game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
smashkirby, you can put me in the support list.
Sorry for the wait, I've had a LOT to do these last couple of days. Anyways... You're officially on the support list, smash puffle smash puffle ! Congrats!

As for the StarTropics thing, I just want to say that I really am sorry about that, dude. Seriously, the fact that it hasn't gotten a trademark thing yet makes me wonder... does Ninty really intend to leave it to fade into obscurity just like that? I get the game isn't all that Japan-centric, but still...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm glad to see that even the more obscure characters have their supporters.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm glad to see that even the more obscure characters have their supporters.
Isn't that the truth. Still though, I do wonder what the fanbase's reaction to Alice would be like... I mean, she's a 1st party character, but I can't imagine she's on many people's wish-lists.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Isn't that the truth. Still though, I do wonder what the fanbase's reaction to Alice would be like... I mean, she's a 1st party character, but I can't imagine she's on many people's wish-lists.
Balloon Kid is extremely obscure, but I think that Alice has more moveset potential than Balloon Fighter.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Balloon Kid is extremely obscure, but I think that Alice has more moveset potential than Balloon Fighter.
Yeah, I kind of feel like Alice and the Balloon Fighter are in a similar position to Isabelle and the Villager. In the sense that one has more of a character and personality, while the other is something of a blank slate. Although, the level of popularity is reversed somewhat.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, considering the recent rumor of an 'Iwata-tribute' character being added to Ultimate via DLC, combined with the hopeful possibility of FP2 being Nintendo-focused, does anyone think Alice has a shot now?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
So, considering the recent rumor of an 'Iwata-tribute' character being added to Ultimate via DLC, combined with the hopeful possibility of FP2 being Nintendo-focused, does anyone think Alice has a shot now?
I hope so, of course the rumor about an Iwata-tribute character could be Balloon Fighter himself, but I'd be happy with either one. (We also can't discount the idea that Alice might be an alt for Balloon Fighter the way Alph was for Olimar and the Koopalings were for Bowser Jr.)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I hope so, of course the rumor about an Iwata-tribute character could be Balloon Fighter himself, but I'd be happy with either one. (We also can't discount the idea that Alice might be an alt for Balloon Fighter the way Alph was for Olimar and the Koopalings were for Bowser Jr.)
Oh, yeah! There is that possibility!

Even though Alice has a more 'descriptive' personality than that of the Balloon Fighter, I feel like she's in a similar position to that Alph in particular where even though she and her hypothetical base character are totally separate characters within their own 'canon', they're just 'non-descriptive' enough to work as alts. of each other. Not to insult either character and their fanbases, of course.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would have loved to see Alice get in the game. I never quite felt that third parties as retro characters carried the same emotional pull as the retro characters of Nintendo. I miss getting refamiliar with Old Nintendo characters, and Simon did not hold the same gravity- nor Megaman in SSB4.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would have loved to see Alice get in the game. I never quite felt that third parties as retro characters carried the same emotional pull as the retro characters of Nintendo. I miss getting refamiliar with Old Nintendo characters, and Simon did not hold the same gravity- nor Megaman in SSB4.
Same here. Heck, I would have liked to see Alice get a Spirit or something. Speaking of... what do you all think Alice's Spirit Battle would be like?

Also, there are people who legit consider Mega Man and Simon/Richter as the retro reps for Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate respectively, and I just hard disagree with those notions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom