• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The adorable balloon-wearing kid heroine! Alice from Balloon Kid for Smash Ultimate!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The brave little Balloon Kid wants to Smash!

So, wait...just who in the world is Alice, anyways?
Alice is a resident of the big, fictional city of "Pencilvania and the main protagonist of Balloon Fight's "semi-sequel", Balloon Kid. She went off on an adventure to rescue her little brother, Jim, who, after tying a large amount of balloons to his body, began to float away from home, resulting in Alice having to go rescue him. Her journey took her to various places, from her home town of Pencilvania, to a forest, an ocean with a giant whale, an icy mountain, and an industrial building. She prides herself on her large collection of balloons, and wishes to be a 'Balloon Fighter' when she grows up.

Okay, so what makes her so special? I mean doesn't the Villager already utilize her main gimmick?
While I know that Villager uses balloons as their recovery, think about it, Alice can do more than that since Villager simply uses the balloons as their recovery and in no other way. This gives Alice more options to fight with her balloons, allowing her to fight in a more creative way like other fighters in the Smash games. What's more, she could borrow weapons and attacks from the bosses and enemies from her game. I mean, Ness and Lucas already do that with their partners, so why can't Alice do it with her cast of characters?

Okay, so why should Alice be a playable character in Smash?
In 2008, Sakurai talked about some criteria he usually uses when choosing characters. I'd like to refer to that here.

The first one - "The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game." This one is pretty hard to pin down. Fans of Balloon Kid would most likely be excited to finally see Alice and her world of Pencilvania again after so long, and some players may want to give Alice a chance, seeing her among more notable characters like Mario, Link, and Donkey Kong, thinking of her to be an interesting character what with her balloons and all and choose to play as her from there. However, since she comes from such an obscure game, I'll admit that she probably wouldn't pull in many people on her own.

Second - "The character must be unique." Alice actually fits the bill on this - you'll see more about her as you continue reading the post, but she has unique attacks that could be utilized in Smash, as well as having the unique and eye-catching design of being a balloon-wielding little girl fighting among Nintendo's finest.

Third - "The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros." This applies to Alice too - with unique attacks and abilities from her balloons and other items from the Balloon Fight series, she'd fit right in with all of the other characters on the roster.

Fourth - "They must contribute to the game balance." I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to balance any potential newcomer, and Alice doesn't fall into a specific, identifiable fighting style, like a swordfighter, meaning her inclusion wouldn't make for "too many swordfighters" or anything similar.

While Sakurai had admitted that during Melee's development, he couldn't make Balloon Fighter work as he couldn't think of how to make him fight without his balloons, Alice has many things to pull from such as the weapons from the bosses she fights and other items that she picks up throughout her adventure.

Basically, Alice fits MOST of Sakurai's criteria well! Besides, Sakurai is known wanting to add characters with personality to Smash, and Alice would be no different!

For anyone still not sold on her, here's some AMAZING movesets below!

(From here!)

New Challenger Approaching!
ALICE TAKES TO THE SKIES!

SPECIAL MOVES----------------------------------------

Neutral Special – INFLATE BALLOONS - Pressing "B", will cause Alice to perform the special move: Inflate Balloons. Alice will take out a balloon pump when "B" is tapped, moving will cause her to put the pump away. Players must tap "B" to inflate balloons. Alice can inflate a maximum of two balloons. To fill each balloon Players must tap "B" four times each. Once Alice gains a balloon, her Special Ability "Floating Adjustment" is activated (for more information see: Special Abilities: Floating Adjustment).
DMG: 0%

Side Special – FLIPPER - Pressing "B" while also holding "left" or "right" on the directional pad, will cause Alice to perform the special move: Flipper. Alice will pull out of thin air a Flipper and toss it forward where it hangs in mid-air. Alice may only produce one Flipper at a time and cannot use another Flipper until the first Flipper vanishes from the stage. When hit, the Flipper will spin causing DMG to anyone who touches it while also knocking them back.
DMG: 2% (per hit)

Up Special – RELEASE BALLOONS - Pressing "B" while also holding "up" on the directional pad, will cause Alice to perform the special move: Release Balloons. As this Special Move's name would suggest, Alice will release any balloons she is holding- however doing this will also cause her to deploy a secret parachute this will allow her to drift slowly downward, if she is in the air. Players can also flick the Control Stick down to cause Alice to abandon her parachute and perform a crushing stomp to foes below her. This Special Move effects Alice's Special Ability: Floating Adjustment (for more information see: Special Abilities: Floating Adjustment).
DMG: 12%

Down Special – STATIC SPARK - Pressing "B" while also holding "down" on the directional pad, will cause Alice to perform the special move: Static Spark. Depending on Alice's balloon count, the animation for this Special Move varies. If Alice has no balloons, she pulls out two from nowhere. If Alice has one balloon she will grab that balloon and produce another balloon from nowhere, and if Alice has two balloons, she simply reaches up and grabs them both. Once Alice has her two balloons she strikes them together as one would a flint and steel to generate a spark and it just so happens that's exactly what Alice does: creates a Static Spark. This ball of electricity travels forward at a somewhat slow speed dealing DMG and stunning foes it comes into contact with. The force of the spark being generated is too much for the balloons to handle and both pop when it is generated leaving Alice with no balloons. This Special Move effects Alice's Special Ability: Floating Adjustment (for more information see: Special Abilities: Floating Adjustment).
DMG: 6%

Final Smash – BALLOON TRIP - After Obtaining the Smash Ball and pressing "B", the camera zooms into Alice who suddenly produces a blast of colored balloons all around her. If a Foe is within this area they will receive some DMG causing a scene to play: the different colored balloons Alice unleashed crowd the screen but quickly fly upward revealing the foes effected by the FS have been lifted high into the air by the balloons, they tumble helplessly as if they are on their way to a "star KO" the camera pans upward revealing Alice who is hanging onto a large array of balloons all in different colors. Alice sees her targets below and with a determined look oh her face she releases all her balloons at once creating a sort of balloon rainbow behind her. The scene is slowed down a bit for a dramatic flair, but soon speeds up as Alice slams down onto her target's backs leaping off them one to the other and finishes by grabbing hold of a single balloon as her enemies hurtle downward towards an open sea where a giant Fish leaps up out of the water to swallow them whole. The scene ends with the foes faces awash with horror as they enter hungry maw and the Fish's mouth slams shut dealing foes DMG. the screen fades to white. The screen fades back in as the foes effected are dealt a meteor effect causing them to violently ricochet off platforms. The FS ends with Alice touching down with her single balloon as it pops leaving her with no balloons. This Final Smash effects Alice's Special Ability: Floating Adjustment (for more information see: Special Abilities: Floating Adjustment).
DMG: 10% (Initial hit) 10% (Stomp) 35% (Swallowed) 55% (Total)

Kirby Hat - When Kirby swallows Alice, Kirby will gain a Balloon Fighter helmet while also gaining the Inflate Balloons Ability. It should be noted that this will enable Kirby the use of Alice's Special Ability: Floating Adjustment, Kirby can only get rid of balloons by taunting.

TAUNTS----------------------------------------

Taunt 1 – Alice faces the screen where she performs the "Directly to you" hand gesture made famous by the late Satoru Iwata. With a wink and a giggle, Alice re-enters fighter stance.

Taunt 2 – Alice is lifted off her feet a bit by her balloons- realizing this, Alice struggles a bit trying to touch back down onto the stage, she is successful and with a relieved sigh re-enters fighter stance. If Alice has no balloons, she will perform Taunt 1.

Taunt 3 – One of Alice's balloons pop and cause her to jump in fright. After a yelp, Alice re-enters fighter stance one balloon short. If Alice has no balloons, she will perform Taunt 1. This Taunt effects Alice's Special Ability: Floating Adjustment (for more information see: Special Abilities: Floating Adjustment).
Entrance
Alice floats in with two balloons, and then releases them upon landing, leaving them to float away. (Based on the mechanic from Balloon Kid that does exactly this - can be seen in this video from 8:58 to 9:00!)

Additional Note
Alice can do up to five jumps, rather than two. She'll pull out two balloons when she jumps. This allows her to be a master of the skies, and use aerial moves as she sees fit!

Ground Attacks
Neutral: Alice gets into a fighting stance, and then punches twice - the third A press will make her swing her air pump forwards. Each punch deals 2%, and the pump deals 3%. (The punches and fighting stance are based on one of the game's bosses, a wolf. Can be seen in this video from 8:55 - 9:17! In addition, the air pump can be seen at 9:16 in that same video.)

Forward Tilt: Alice headbutts forward, dealing 4%. (Not based on anything in particular!)

Up Tilt: Alice hops, punching above her head. Deals 2%. (Not based on anything in particular!)

Down Tilt: Alice pulls out a balloon and deflates it, spinning around once. The air will push opponents away a bit, but will not deal damage.

Dash Attack: Alice will hop and do a kick in the air. Similar to Bowser's, but with one leg only and faster. (Not based on anything in particular!)

Smash Attacks

Forward: Pulls out a small pipe, and begins charging. When released, the pipe launches a balloon that pops upon hitting something. If that thing is an opponent, then it deals 8% uncharged, 13% charged. (Based on the bonus game from Balloon Kid - can be seen in this video from 7:45 - 8:32!)

Up: Alice will begin to bring her hand down gradually and lean forward slightly. When released, she looks up and brings her hand up, throwing a large shrimp directly above her. Deals 6% uncharged, 12% charged. (This is based on one of the game's bosses, a shrimp. Can be seen in this video from 17:10 - 17:35!)

Down: Alice will begin pumping up two balloons - one on her left, and one on her right. When released, she pops them both, dealing damage to nearby opponents. Deals 7% uncharged, 12% charged.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral: Alice swings her air pump around in a circle around her, damaging nearby opponents. Deals 16%.

Up: Throws a shrimp upward, dealing 14%. (This is based on one of the game's bosses, a shrimp. Can be seen in this video from 17:10 - 17:35!)

Forward: Alice launches a balloon out of a pipe. The balloon will explode upon contact with something. Deals 15%.

Back: Alice tosses the air pump backwards, holding the cord, and then pulls it back. Deals 12% if it connects. (Based loosely on the air pump, which can be seen at 9:16 in this video!)

Special Attacks

Neutral: When B is held, Alice will begin to crouch. When released, she spins around and tosses several spikes out! The distance, angle, and strength depend on how long it was held for. (Based on the game's final boss, a robot! Can be seen in this video from 34:40 - 35:40!)

Side: Alice pulls out a bucket and smashes it forward as a projectile. Deals 5%. (Based on the snowman boss! Can be seen in this video from 25:55 - 26:28!)

Up: When B is held, Alice will pull out an air pump, and start pumping up a balloon rapidly. When B is released, Alice will release the balloon, which will begin to deflate, sending it and Alice flying. Alice can control her direction during this. When the balloon is fully deflated, Alice begins to fall. There is no opport (Based on the air pump, which can be seen at 9:16 in this video!)

Down: Alice pulls out a large balloon and opens the bottom. The balloon will take any projectiles that it catches - these make the balloon larger. When the balloon has taken in five projectiles, Alice will tie it - it can now be used the next time you use the down special, dealing the combined damage of all of the projectiles that it took in.

Grabs

Pummel: Alice punches quickly with one hand. Deals 2% per hit.

Up Throw: Alice releases the opponent, and then pops a balloon below them, sending them upwards and dealing 6%.

Down Throw: Knocks the opponent over, then stomps on them. Deals 6%.

Forward Throw: Punches the opponent forward in the same style as the wolf boss. Deals 5%.

Back Throw: Turns around, holding onto the opponent, and then slams them with the air pump. Deals 7%.

Miscellaneous Attacks

Getting Up from a Fall: Hops up, kicking out her legs as she does so. Deals 4%.

Ledge Attack: Hops and lands face-first into the ground next to the ledge. Deals 5%.

Taunts

Up: Pulls out a Game Boy, tosses it from one hand to the other, and then back. Then she puts it away. (The level exits in Balloon Kid are Game Boys, and the game is for the Game Boy, so it seems like a good fit.)
Side: Tries to blow up a balloon using her mouth instead of the pump, but quickly starts panting.

Down: A ton of multicolored balloons appear above her, and she floats a little before pulling them back. (Based on the bunch of balloons that her brother accidentally gets carried away on!)

Final Smash

In order for the Final Smash to work, Alice must be right next to any opponents she hopes to hit. When activated, Alice will trap nearby opponents in a balloon, which floats directly above her. She then pumps up a massive amount of balloons and puts them around the opponents' balloons in a cinematic sequence similar to Mega Man and Shulk's Final Smashes. With hundreds of balloons above her, she smirks, winks at the screen, and then pops them all at once, damaging anyone she trapped inside the cluster of balloons. Deals 65% to each opponent trapped inside, and 20%-30% to any non-trapped opponents who accidentally get near the cluster when it pops. (Loosely based on the cluster of balloons that carry Alice's brother away!)

Alice's Balloon-wearing pals!
smashkirby
kool2419
SEGAGameBoy
Arcadenik
FamicomDisk
Calane
~ Valkyrie ~
lady_sky skipper
WonderSmash
Taigiry
GillyGrime
smash puffle

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
"Toddler"? I don't think people would like the idea of beating up a toddler in Smash. Just call her a "balloon kid" or a "balloon fighter".

smashkirby

Smash Hero
"Toddler"? I don't think people would like the idea of beating up a toddler in Smash. Just call her a "balloon kid" or a "balloon fighter".
I'm legit serious when I say this... I wonder if that's why this thread hasn't been picking up much traction...

I know, it sounds pretty silly, but Alice had a couple more supporters than this pre-Smash 4...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm legit serious when I say this... I wonder if that's why this thread hasn't been picking up much traction...

I know, it sounds pretty silly, but Alice had a couple more supporters than this pre-Smash 4...
Oh good. You changed it from "toddler" to "kid heroine". That's better at least.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

I kind of doubt it, since Smash already has kids duking it out. I think it's probably just the obscurity!

To discuss the character a bit, I'm curious - how is Alice different from Balloon Fighter? Besides design, are there any notable differences between the two that sets Alice stand apart from him? I've seen a bit of Balloon Kid before, and it's a lot like Balloon Fight with actual levels and bosses, so I'm curious to hear what the differences are character-wise.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh good. You changed it from "toddler" to "kid heroine". That's better at least.
Yeah. You know, now that I read the title out loud, "kid heroine" DOES sound better.

I kind of doubt it, since Smash already has kids duking it out. I think it's probably just the obscurity!
Yeah, you might be right. Still though, your Demille thread seems to have really picked up in a shorter amount of time than my Alice thread, and I'm pretty sure they're both pretty obscure as it is, with the only difference being age.

Specifically, Alice has been around since 1990 and Demille would hit the scene about 12 years later. (BTW, I say all of this with NO ill-intent, especially considering how I support him for Smash and all).

To discuss the character a bit, I'm curious - how is Alice different from Balloon Fighter? Besides design, are there any notable differences between the two that sets Alice stand apart from him? I've seen a bit of Balloon Kid before, and it's a lot like Balloon Fight with actual levels and bosses, so I'm curious to hear what the differences are character-wise.
I suppose beside design (and personality), she could use obstacles in battle. For example, she could use the pencil-like spikes as a projectile that she could lay around, or maybe as a javelin...?

If you have any ideas too, I'd like to hear them.

Speaking of which, Arcadenik Arcadenik and FamicomDisk FamicomDisk ...can I add you two to the support list?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess you can add me to the support list. I am not actively supporting her. I kinda like Balloon Kid on the 3DS Virtual Console. What I really want from Balloon Kid is Pencilvania stage in Smash.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you might be right. Still though, your Demille thread seems to have really picked up in a shorter amount of time than my Alice thread, and I'm pretty sure they're both pretty obscure as it is, with the only difference being age.

Specifically, Alice has been around since 1990 and Demille would hit the scene about 12 years later. (BTW, I say all of this with NO ill-intent, especially considering how I support him for Smash and all).
Hm, that's true. It might just be because of how much stuff I packed into the opening post! Anyone who reads the post has a pretty good idea of who DeMille is, what he can do, what new and unique things he could bring to Smash, and what's going for and against him, even if they've never heard of him before that. So maybe expand the opening post a bit? There isn't too much information there, so it's hard to know why people should want to support her. :)

Could also be that Alice's game is kind of a more obscure version of Balloon Fight. I think when a balloon-based character comes to mind, it's Balloon Fighter, so people might need a bit of convincing to support Alice over the original one.

I suppose beside design (and personality), she could use obstacles in battle. For example, she could use the pencil-like spikes as a projectile that she could lay around, or maybe as a javelin...?

If you have any ideas too, I'd like to hear them.
I honestly don't know very much about Alice, so I can't offer too much - that's why I was curious how she differed from the original Balloon Fighter. :p Maybe she could utilize abilities that bosses from her game use?

And sure, you can add me to the support list!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I guess you can add me to the support list. I am not actively supporting her. I kinda like Balloon Kid on the 3DS Virtual Console. What I really want from Balloon Kid is Pencilvania stage in Smash.
Alright. Aaannnd...you're there!

BTW...if you don't want to be added/if you want me to take you off of there, that's fine. I don't want it to be like I'm making you or anything.

Hm, that's true. It might just be because of how much stuff I packed into the opening post! Anyone who reads the post has a pretty good idea of who DeMille is, what he can do, what new and unique things he could bring to Smash, and what's going for and against him, even if they've never heard of him before that. So maybe expand the opening post a bit? There isn't too much information there, so it's hard to know why people should want to support her. :)

Could also be that Alice's game is kind of a more obscure version of Balloon Fight. I think when a balloon-based character comes to mind, it's Balloon Fighter, so people might need a bit of convincing to support Alice over the original one.
Yeah, you have a point. In fact, it's not that I haven't noticed this. The truth is... I hate to say it (I mean, I REALLY hate to say this), but I'm getting worried that Alice doesn't have too much to differentiate herself from Balloon Fighter. I mean, I'm not going to give up on thinking of a moveset for her, but it's trickier than you think to make up something. I mean, I'm not Sakurai...

It also doesn't entirely help that Balloon Kid is just a more obscure Balloon Fight...

Well, anyways. You're on the support list. Congrats!

Actually...can I use some of your arguments? They do seem to put Alice in a similar spot...

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you have a point. In fact, it's not that I haven't noticed this. The truth is... I hate to say it (I mean, I REALLY hate to say this), but I'm getting worried that Alice doesn't have too much to differentiate herself from Balloon Fighter. I mean, I'm not going to give up on thinking of a moveset for her, but it's trickier than you think to make up something. I mean, I'm not Sakurai...
Yeah, I think you might want to pull from Balloon Kid as a whole instead of just what Alice can do in it, since that's where it'll stand apart from Balloon Fight, and where Alice can stand apart from Balloon Fighter. I'll check out the game a bit more and see if I can come up with anything else, but since she's very similar to Balloon Fighter in her origin game, her moveset would be best if it pulled from other aspects of Balloon Kid. For example, I remember that one boss throws out something like pins that pop your balloons, so maybe she could use those pins as projectiles!

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
You can add me to the support list. I don't know how good her chances are, but I prefer her over Balloon Fighter.

On the topic of a moveset, I honestly feel like she should revolve around the "attach - detach" mechanic in Balloon Kid. Perhaps she could be the only character in Smash who can fight normally in the air, like being able to perform normal Smash Attacks and tilts, when equipped with her balloons. She could also detach those balloons and fight on the ground, this making her play like a normal character with traditional aerial attacks and such. Like the game, it would be possible to drop down from her balloons and attack opponents only to leap back up and reconnect with them before they float away (which would make for some sick offstage play). If she loses her balloons or has them popped, she would have to pump up new ones like in the game.

Never played Balloon Kid yet, but going by a video I watched about it, that's the best I got. Sure, this concept is pretty weird and would require quite a lot of careful consideration to make work in Smash, but it's an idea.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
A little fun fact: been a fan of Alice many years back and really love the game she's from - one of those cute gems of GB I cherish.

Which is why I'd be absolutely delighted to see her in Smash - mostly as alternative costume to Balloon Fighter if ever, but I would just wish she'd be in the fray.

Anyway, do chalk me in as a supporter. She's a fun thought, but it's nice to see fans like I out there.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Which is why I'd be absolutely delighted to see her in Smash - mostly as alternative costume to Balloon Fighter if ever, but I would just wish she'd be in the fray.
Yes. I think this is the best option for Alice. She could get in Smash as a Balloon Fighter costume... like male Robin and female Robin. Balloon Fighter / Balloon Kid could work.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You can add me to the support list. I don't know how good her chances are, but I prefer her over Balloon Fighter.

On the topic of a moveset, I honestly feel like she should revolve around the "attach - detach" mechanic in Balloon Kid. Perhaps she could be the only character in Smash who can fight normally in the air, like being able to perform normal Smash Attacks and tilts, when equipped with her balloons. She could also detach those balloons and fight on the ground, this making her play like a normal character with traditional aerial attacks and such. Like the game, it would be possible to drop down from her balloons and attack opponents only to leap back up and reconnect with them before they float away (which would make for some sick offstage play). If she loses her balloons or has them popped, she would have to pump up new ones like in the game.

Never played Balloon Kid yet, but going by a video I watched about it, that's the best I got. Sure, this concept is pretty weird and would require quite a lot of careful consideration to make work in Smash, but it's an idea.
Hey, not a bad concept there. I mean, I get what you mean that there'd have to be some considerable planning to make it work, but after everything Sakurai has done, I wouldn't put it past him to make this work.

A little fun fact: been a fan of Alice many years back and really love the game she's from - one of those cute gems of GB I cherish.

Anyway, do chalk me in as a supporter. She's a fun thought, but it's nice to see fans like I out there.
Really? Well, it's always nice to see more fans of Alice around! Anyways, Calane Calane and ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ , you two are officially on support list! Congrats!

Yes. I think this is the best option for Alice. She could get in Smash as a Balloon Fighter costume... like male Robin and female Robin. Balloon Fighter / Balloon Kid could work.
You know, I'll be honest...at first, I was sort of against the idea of Alice being an alt. skin of Balloon Fighter, but thinking more on it, it wouldn't be too much skin off my back if she was playable like that. As long as she's given the treatment that Alph and the Koopalings were given, I guess that'd be OK with me.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I said yesterday I'd look into the game a bit more and come up with some ideas, so I decided to make a moveset! I constructed her with two ideas in mind. First, she's quick and agile, and is built specifically to dodge attacks easily while she builds up damage on her opponents. She also prioritizes aerial combat - while she's capable enough on ground, her ground attacks are weaker, and her aerial attacks are where she shines.

I also decided not to follow the mechanics of her game super closely - many Balloon Fighter and Alice concepts have the recovery as the usual balloon floating, one special as a pump, and etc., but since Villager already has that as a recovery, I decided to make the recovery unique, and use the air pump mostly as a weapon.

Entrance
Alice floats in with two balloons, and then releases them upon landing, leaving them to float away. (Based on the mechanic from Balloon Kid that does exactly this - can be seen in this video from 8:58 to 9:00!)

Additional Note
Alice can do up to five jumps, rather than two. She'll pull out two balloons when she jumps. This allows her to be a master of the skies, and use aerial moves as she sees fit!

Ground Attacks
Neutral: Alice gets into a fighting stance, and then punches twice - the third A press will make her swing her air pump forwards. Each punch deals 2%, and the pump deals 3%. (The punches and fighting stance are based on one of the game's bosses, a wolf. Can be seen in this video from 8:55 - 9:17! In addition, the air pump can be seen at 9:16 in that same video.)

Forward Tilt: Alice headbutts forward, dealing 4%. (Not based on anything in particular!)

Up Tilt: Alice hops, punching above her head. Deals 2%. (Not based on anything in particular!)

Down Tilt: Alice pulls out a balloon and deflates it, spinning around once. The air will push opponents away a bit, but will not deal damage.

Dash Attack: Alice will hop and do a kick in the air. Similar to Bowser's, but with one leg only and faster. (Not based on anything in particular!)

Smash Attacks

Forward: Pulls out a small pipe, and begins charging. When released, the pipe launches a balloon that pops upon hitting something. If that thing is an opponent, then it deals 8% uncharged, 13% charged. (Based on the bonus game from Balloon Kid - can be seen in this video from 7:45 - 8:32!)

Up: Alice will begin to bring her hand down gradually and lean forward slightly. When released, she looks up and brings her hand up, throwing a large shrimp directly above her. Deals 6% uncharged, 12% charged. (This is based on one of the game's bosses, a shrimp. Can be seen in this video from 17:10 - 17:35!)

Down: Alice will begin pumping up two balloons - one on her left, and one on her right. When released, she pops them both, dealing damage to nearby opponents. Deals 7% uncharged, 12% charged.

Aerial Attacks

Neutral: Alice swings her air pump around in a circle around her, damaging nearby opponents. Deals 16%.

Up: Throws a shrimp upward, dealing 14%. (This is based on one of the game's bosses, a shrimp. Can be seen in this video from 17:10 - 17:35!)

Forward: Alice launches a balloon out of a pipe. The balloon will explode upon contact with something. Deals 15%.

Back: Alice tosses the air pump backwards, holding the cord, and then pulls it back. Deals 12% if it connects. (Based loosely on the air pump, which can be seen at 9:16 in this video!)

Special Attacks

Neutral: When B is held, Alice will begin to crouch. When released, she spins around and tosses several spikes out! The distance, angle, and strength depend on how long it was held for. (Based on the game's final boss, a robot! Can be seen in this video from 34:40 - 35:40!)

Side: Alice pulls out a bucket and smashes it forward as a projectile. Deals 5%. (Based on the snowman boss! Can be seen in this video from 25:55 - 26:28!)

Up: When B is held, Alice will pull out an air pump, and start pumping up a balloon rapidly. When B is released, Alice will release the balloon, which will begin to deflate, sending it and Alice flying. Alice can control her direction during this. When the balloon is fully deflated, Alice begins to fall. There is no opport (Based on the air pump, which can be seen at 9:16 in this video!)

Down: Alice pulls out a large balloon and opens the bottom. The balloon will take any projectiles that it catches - these make the balloon larger. When the balloon has taken in five projectiles, Alice will tie it - it can now be used the next time you use the down special, dealing the combined damage of all of the projectiles that it took in.

Grabs

Up Throw: Alice releases the opponent, and then pops a balloon below them, sending them upwards and dealing 6%.

Forward Throw: Punches the opponent forward in the same style as the wolf boss. Deals 5%.

Back Throw: Turns around, holding onto the opponent, and then slams them with the air pump. Deals 7%.

Miscellanious Attacks

Ledge Attack: Hops and lands face-first into the ground next to the ledge. Deals 5%.

Taunts

Up: Pulls out a Game Boy, tosses it from one hand to the other, and then back. Then she puts it away. (The level exits in Balloon Kid are Game Boys, and the game is for the Game Boy, so it seems like a good fit.)
Side: Tries to blow up a balloon using her mouth instead of the pump, but quickly starts panting.

Down: A ton of multicolored balloons appear above her, and she floats a little before pulling them back. (Based on the bunch of balloons that her brother accidentally gets carried away on!)

Final Smash

In order for the Final Smash to work, Alice must be right next to any opponents she hopes to hit. When activated, Alice will trap nearby opponents in a balloon, which floats directly above her. She then pumps up a massive amount of balloons and puts them around the opponents' balloons in a cinematic sequence similar to Mega Man and Shulk's Final Smashes. With hundreds of balloons above her, she smirks, winks at the screen, and then pops them all at once, damaging anyone she trapped inside the cluster of balloons. Deals 65% to each opponent trapped inside, and 20%-30% to any non-trapped opponents who accidentally get near the cluster when it pops. (Loosely based on the cluster of balloons that carry Alice's brother away!)

I think there's stuff that could use some tweaking - for example, a lot of her attacks utilize the air pump, since there isn't too much to use from Balloon Kid, so expanding that a little bit would be nice. Feel free to use and modify this as you see fit!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I said yesterday I'd look into the game a bit more and come up with some ideas, so I decided to make a moveset! I constructed her with two ideas in mind. First, she's quick and agile, and is built specifically to dodge attacks easily while she builds up damage on her opponents. She also prioritizes aerial combat - while she's capable enough on ground, her ground attacks are weaker, and her aerial attacks are where she shines.

I also decided not to follow the mechanics of her game super closely - many Balloon Fighter and Alice concepts have the recovery as the usual balloon floating, one special as a pump, and etc., but since Villager already has that as a recovery, I decided to make the recovery unique, and use the air pump mostly as a weapon.

Entrance

Additional Note

Ground Attacks

Smash Attacks

Aerial Attacks

Special Attacks

Grabs

Miscellanious Attacks

Taunts

Final Smash

I think there's stuff that could use some tweaking - for example, a lot of her attacks utilize the air pump, since there isn't too much to use from Balloon Kid, so expanding that a little bit would be nice. Feel free to use and modify this as you see fit!
Wow! This is amazing! I hate to admit it, but I was afraid I wouldn't b able to come up with anything that truly differentiated her from Balloon Fighter, aside from MAYBE a couple of physical attacks here and there. That said, I have three questions.

1. Can I post your Alice moveset to the OP?

2. Could I also use YOUR Alice moveset as inspiration for MY Alice moveset?

3. Could I use a few of your arguments in Demille's favor for Alice? Honestly, I feel that Alice seems to be in a similar position to him, outside of the Japan-only issue.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the compliment! :) I'm glad you like it.

1. Can I post your Alice moveset to the OP?

2. Could I also use YOUR Alice moveset as inspiration for MY Alice moveset?
Of course! I made it to help you out since you said you were struggling to come up with stuff. Use it however you want!

3. Could I use a few of your arguments in Demille's favor for Alice? Honestly, I feel that Alice seems to be in a similar position to him, outside of the Japan-only issue.
You don't need my permission to do that, haha! :p If you think the same points apply, then of course you'd use the same arguments!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Of course! I made it to help you out since you said you were struggling to come up with stuff. Use it however you want!
Oh, I see!:lol: Thank you very much!

You don't need my permission to do that, haha! :p If you think the same points apply, then of course you'd use the same arguments!
Really? Thank you!

BTW, as we all know, the chances of Alice are slim to none, but may as well post this here.

So... I've heard that RelaxAlax isn't the type to risk his credibility all willy-nilly, but I guess take this with a grain of salt.

Blah-blah-blah....Eeeehhh....yeah, you all know the drill, I suppose.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, while Alice might not be playable, do you all see her appearing as a Spirit? Personally, I feel as if this medium is her best chance to appear in Smash.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Put me on as a supporter for Alice in Smash, I'll support just about any Balloon Fight hero as a playable character, including Balloon Man for the Game and Watch Balloon Fight.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
She's adorable, and we need some less "perfect" female protagonists. I wouldn't call myself a supporter, but I'd be really cool with her as long as she doesn't deconfirm Muddy Mole as a Game Boy rep.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Put me on as a supporter for Alice in Smash, I'll support just about any Balloon Fight hero as a playable character, including Balloon Man for the Game and Watch Balloon Fight.
And you're on there, lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper ! Congrats! Personally though... I see Balloon Man appearing in Smash via Mr. Game & Watch's moves than as a separate character. You know, if I'm just being honest, that's all.
As for the actual Balloon Fighter... well, Alice may be obscure, but let's give the girl some credit for even having an identity, right?

She's adorable, and we need some less "perfect" female protagonists. I wouldn't call myself a supporter, but I'd be really cool with her as long as she doesn't deconfirm Muddy Mole as a Game Boy rep.
While I wish I could add you to the support list, I do respect your choice to not have your name listed among everyone else. Heck, it's just nice to see more support for Alice anyways, and considering Sakurai's recent interview about 'WTF' characters, maybe Alice would fit in that category as a character that isn't your typical male/female protagonist that's handsome/'drop-dead' gorgeous.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about Alice deconfirming Muddy Mole as a playable character. Whether or not one or the other gets in, I don't think they're mutually-exclusive or anything. What's more, I'm actually a Muddy supporter myself, and let me tell you that I was hyped to see him appear in Smash Ultimate as a Spirit. He may not be playable right now, but at least Smash finally acknowledged his existence (unlike Alice).

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
I would definitely welcome her addition but I don't think I could bring myself to attack her using another fighter :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Eh, is this a new thread? Well, "new" compared to the old one, at least, which was from pre-Smash 4. That would explain why I never got any notifications, I guess and why I'm missing on the supporter list up there. Man, 2014-2015... it sure has been a while.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I would definitely welcome her addition but I don't think I could bring myself to attack her using another fighter :laugh:
Hey, if characters like Ness, Lucas, Duck Hunt and Isabelle are fair game to be playable in Smash, and Alice at least has SOME method of defending herself...

Actually, it just occurred to me that we don't have any playable 'little human girl' characters in Smash yet, right?

Eh, is this a new thread? Well, "new" compared to the old one, at least, which was from pre-Smash 4. That would explain why I never got any notifications, I guess and why I'm missing on the supporter list up there. Man, 2014-2015... it sure has been a while.
It sure has been... you know, maybe I could copy-and-paste the old support list here...

That said, WonderSmash WonderSmash and @Taigiry I take it I can put you two on the support list then?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Hi Smashkirby, could you put me on the support list for Alice from Balloon Kid in Smash Ultimate. We NEED a playable Balloon Fight rep.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hi Smashkirby, could you put me on the support list for Alice from Balloon Kid in Smash Ultimate. We NEED a playable Balloon Fight rep.
Alright, lady_sky skipper lady_sky skipper ! You're on the support list! Congrats!

By the way, everyone... I don't think Nintendo has completely forgotten about Alice (and Balloon Kid) as a whole after all! How do I know that, you ask? Well, Nintendo has been releasing a series of mini-videos featuring various characters from the WarioWare games (in order to celebrate the release of that series' newest game in 5 years, WarioWare Gold).

Just yesterday, Ninty just released what appears to be the last of this series of mini-videos, this time being focused on a newcomer to the WW games, Lulu. Actually, it's very possible that Lulu herself (Going by appearance AND personality) might just be Nintendo's shout-out to the original balloon-wearing heroine herself!

I won't go into too much detail, but basically her character video features that of a shout-out to Balloon Fight by featuring her bumping into an enemy Balloon Fighter. In fact, Lulu herself gets around large distances by, you guessed it, tying balloons either to her back or on an object that she rides.

Here's the video for those who wish to get a better idea of everything I'm talking about:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to deny the possibility that Nintendo might have even designed Lulu with Alice in mind! It's nice to see Nintendo hasn't completely forsaken Balloon Kid after all, with all the references to Alice and that game as a whole here!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, yeah. I know who you're talking about. In fact, that little girl (from Wrecking Crew '98) was named Onnanoko (which literally translates to 'Little Girl', no less).

Honestly, I think that for Lulu, Nintendo took cues from both girls. Onnanoko's general design, and we can't ignore Lulu's affinity for balloons... that she uses to fly from place to place, just like a certain balloon-loving little girl.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I just remembered that Sam, the character the second player controls in Balloon Kid vs. mode could make a good Echo Fighter for Alice.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey, guys! Been a while, huh? I just wanted to post a little something here. Remember my last post on how Nintendo appears to have NOT forgotten about Alice, thanks to WarioWare Gold making couple of subtle references to her (especially with the character of Lulu being an outright shout-out to her)?

Well, it looks like Nintendo really does still keep Alice herself in mind after all, as she recently appeared as a sticker in Nintendo Dream Magazine's 300th issue! She can be seen at the very bottom under the Xenoblade 2 characters.

By the way, for those who don't know; Nintendo Dream Magazine is essentially Japan's equivalent of Nintendo Power Magazine in the U.S.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Sorry I'm late with the post, had to go to work. But it's awesome to see that Nintendo fans haven't forgotten about Alice.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sorry I'm late with the post, had to go to work. But it's awesome to see that Nintendo fans haven't forgotten about Alice.
Oh, it's no problem. Still, it really is great to see that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about Alice after all. Honestly, I wish I could who else is part of this sticker collection, as it appears to be jam-packed with all kinds of characters from Ninty's history.

I think it's even safe to say that almost every character who appeared as a Spirit in Smash Ultimate is a sticker here.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Been a while since I've visited here. About the sticker sheet above. while it's nice to see her, I do find it kinda odd that the OG Balloon Fighter isn't there. Unless he's on a different page? Though I'd find it unlikely they'd separate Balloon Fight and Balloon Kid like this. Also Balloon Man gets like no love at all.

Oh btw, unless I somehow missed it, this thread isn't in the directory. You might want to drop a message to have it added, it would only be beneficial.

Anyway, some might remember the old 3d model I made of her back in 2014. Unless I never actually showed it, in that case oops. I've actually been remaking it from scratch and thanks to having gained a lot of experience over the years, it goes pretty smoothly, although I did get distracted for a few months, hence me keeping quiet about this.
Now for a short description of each of them:
2014: While the oldest one doesn't look too bad at first glance, looking closer will reveal just how uneven and badly optimized the entire model was, Some parts were way too high-poly, while other had barely any at all (see below).
2018: Remade pretty much from scratch, creating actual custom model parts, something i wasn't able to do back in 2014, due to lack of experience. Doing this gives me more control over the poly count, thus not inflating it artificially.
2019: Found some time to work on it and nearly finished it now. The most obvious change from the 2018 one are the body proportions. Shorter body, thicker legs and bigger head for a more "chibi" look, closer to her official artwork. Last noteworthy change is the hair. I completely made the bangs from scratch and gave the top of the hair a bump to make them look more natural. This Alice model also has a modeled mouth (seen better in the wireframe render below), which I borrowed from my Lip model. It still needs some adjustments, like making the shoes smaller, the head less round and adjusting the waist area. But those are some very quick changes.

Those renders should give a good look at what i mentioned above. Just compare the 2014 model to the 2019 one. The first one has a lot of poly in unneeded places, like the shoes, head and knees while the hair had barely anything. coming from a low-poly Animal Crossing one. Meanwhile the 2019 model is much more optimized. The 2018 render is just the for completion's sake.

Well, I think this wall of text should pretty much cover everything I've done in the background.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Been a while since I've visited here. About the sticker sheet above. while it's nice to see her, I do find it kinda odd that the OG Balloon Fighter isn't there. Unless he's on a different page? Though I'd find it unlikely they'd separate Balloon Fight and Balloon Kid like this. Also Balloon Man gets like no love at all.
Yeah, I'e seen it myself that Balloon Fighter is on a different page. In fact, the page he's on seems to consist of... I guess you could call them Famicom (NES) All-Star characters?

Oh btw, unless I somehow missed it, this thread isn't in the directory. You might want to drop a message to have it added, it would only be beneficial.
Oh, it isn't? Yeah, I better get that taken care of. You're right on how it certainly might help this thread pick up a bit more traction.

Anyway, some might remember the old 3d model I made of her back in 2014. Unless I never actually showed it, in that case oops. I've actually been remaking it from scratch and thanks to having gained a lot of experience over the years, it goes pretty smoothly, although I did get distracted for a few months, hence me keeping quiet about this.
Now for a short description of each of them:
2014: While the oldest one doesn't look too bad at first glance, looking closer will reveal just how uneven and badly optimized the entire model was, Some parts were way too high-poly, while other had barely any at all (see below).
2018: Remade pretty much from scratch, creating actual custom model parts, something i wasn't able to do back in 2014, due to lack of experience. Doing this gives me more control over the poly count, thus not inflating it artificially.
2019: Found some time to work on it and nearly finished it now. The most obvious change from the 2018 one are the body proportions. Shorter body, thicker legs and bigger head for a more "chibi" look, closer to her official artwork. Last noteworthy change is the hair. I completely made the bangs from scratch and gave the top of the hair a bump to make them look more natural. This Alice model also has a modeled mouth (seen better in the wireframe render below), which I borrowed from my Lip model. It still needs some adjustments, like making the shoes smaller, the head less round and adjusting the waist area. But those are some very quick changes.

Those renders should give a good look at what i mentioned above. Just compare the 2014 model to the 2019 one. The first one has a lot of poly in unneeded places, like the shoes, head and knees while the hair had barely anything. coming from a low-poly Animal Crossing one. Meanwhile the 2019 model is much more optimized. The 2018 render is just the for completion's sake.

Well, I think this wall of text should pretty much cover everything I've done in the background.

Well, well, well! Someone's been a busybody, huh? Seriously, this looks real nice! I hope to see the finished model soon!

BTW, I can't remember if this was you, but someone was working was working on a Brawl mod that replaced... well, I can't remember what stage it was, but Pencilvania (Alice's hometown) was modded in, and it actually looked really nice. Was it you who did that, or am I thinking of someone else?

Top Bottom