• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Vergeben rumor mentioned an Alolan Pokemon?
Last night Verg said an Alola Pokémon is coming and that it isn't Decidueye, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So I went a took a look at Nintendo's Investor Relations section on the their website and found some interesting things from the Oct. 29, 2015 presentation (which would have been in formative days of Smash Ultimate) Here's a link to the IR events page
Nintendo said:
And now, I would like to explain how Nintendo is dealing with its new businesses.
As you know, Nintendo’s basic strategy has consistently been “expansion of the gaming population.”

Nintendo said:
A variety of popular characters, including Mario and Link, appear in Nintendo’s video games and these characters are the source of Nintendo’s IP value.

Nintendo said:
By increasing the number of people who have access to this Nintendo IP or video game characters, music and world view, and by increasing the value of Nintendo IP, we aim to further expand the gaming population.

Nintendo said:
More specifically, we will provide people with new applications on their smart devices by utilizing our Nintendo IP. We are also planning to offer new attractions at theme parks by using Nintendo IP. Further, by using Nintendo IP in a variety of other ways, such as licensing and commercializing this IP for visual content and merchandizing products, we are planning to maximize the value of Nintendo IP, which has traditionally been used mainly for our dedicated video game systems.
Needless to say, there is no change to the fact that dedicated game systems remain at the core of Nintendo experiences.

Now what does this have to do with Isabelle you might ask? Well besides Animal Crossing and Isabelle receiving considerable prominence when nintendo was showing off their most valued IPs, I believe Smash Bros. is the place where Nintendo is going to really try to bridge the gap between the casual mobile market and their dedicated video game system. Nintendo has sown a large mobile following with Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, Smash Bros. is an easy place where Nintendo can reap the casual popularity of both IPs and promote the switch. The pokemon company is following this "reeling in the casuals" model as well, Pokemon GO --> Pokemon Let's Go --> Mainline Pokemon game on switch.

I can't say I know what exactly what it's going to be like, but I expect Smash Bros. to become the "synergy between games" hub of Nintendo with whole shared account aspect, much like how Smash Bros. was the Amiibo hub of the last generation. I could easily see some cross promotional content for both Smash and the mobile games.

Furthermore, Isabelle appeals to an important market for the Switch, the female demographic. (these images come from multiple different presentations)
Capture 4.PNG

Capture 5.PNG

Capture 3.PNG
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 2.PNG
If Nintendo's goal is to expand the gaming population through an influx of the mobile market consumers, then I expect they'll try to attract the female demographic. I think this applies to smash as well. If you can remember, the smash ballot asked 4 things, the character you want, what game they are from, why you think they should be in smash, and what gender are you?

I don't believe the gender requirement was added for no good reason. The smash ballot was not only a way for Nintendo to gauge the raw popularity of characters, but also their popularity by region and gender. Even if Isabelle didn't score well in the ballot due to her role as an assist trophy, it seems like Nintendo at least had gender popularity on their mind.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
The good thing about Isabelle, and Animal Crossing as a whole, is that there is a wide appeal for both genders. I doubt putting her in would really draw in enough female players (that aren't already interested in Smash regardless of her inclusion) to be all that noticeable, but she certainly wouldn't alienate anyone.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Based on what I've been hearing I feel like the Direct will reveal either Isabelle or Ashley. Either way I'll be completely happy since they're both some of my most wanted newcomers. I can't wait for Wednesday.

EDIT: Well I feel stupid now.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well, it seems like Simon is almost guaranteed now thanks to the "Bloody Tears" mishap. If we see him tomorrow, Isabelle is oh so close to becoming a reality!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well no Isabelle today, but at least she managed to survive the assist trophy massacre.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
...I think it's probably safe to say she made it, then.

I really didn't want her in as a playable character, not because I don't like her, but because I don't want to beat that cute little pup up.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The Kapp'n Assist Trophy is a good sign for sure.

The whole time in the Assist Trophy and Pokeball section, I was having heart attack wondering if Isabelle is an Assist.

Thank god she is not.

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
Guys we might have our Secretary in Smash after all. I can imagine her being revealed during a Direct with AC content in it.

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
One step closer! I was worried for her for a second when I saw Ashley disconfirmed since Nintendo advertises them both similarly hard but Verge still might be onto something.

It'll have to wait another day but this is the next best outcome for now. :)

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Isabelle survived

I think we are in the clear guys

Although with k rool and Ridley playable

For me who the **** cares who fails now

Hope for viridi for playable

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Simon's in and no indication of Isabelle leaving. Since Dark Samus got upgraded from AT to playable, I think Isabelle's fate is looking much better than before.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Simon's in and no indication of Isabelle leaving. Since Dark Samus got upgraded from AT to playable, I think Isabelle's fate is looking much better than before.
Not to mention Kapp’n is the new Animal Crossing Assist Trophy.

I have a really good feeling about Isabelle, just gotta wait for the right time for her debut.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Isabelle is literally confirmed, there's no questioning rather when. She's ** in.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
I better not be seeing from everyone that they always knew she was obvious.

mortal1385

Smash Rookie
I don't post much on Smashboards, but I support Isabelle and hope to see her confirmed next direct!

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I better not be seeing from everyone that they always knew she was obvious.
I can't speak for others, but I'd be immensely surprised if she didn't make it in. She's the last Nintendo owned character worthy of the title "All-Star" that hasn't been made playable, so she's probably the safest character to bet on.

Smithn

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4332 5240 6154
After seeing the new Kapp'n AT, Isabelle went from likely to practically confirmed imo. Can't wait to see her even if she's a villager echo. Hoping for a unique moveset though, Sakurai could definitely pull it off.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
...I think it's probably safe to say she made it, then.

I really didn't want her in as a playable character, not because I don't like her, but because I don't want to beat that cute little pup up.
no you've got it all wrong. Its not about pummeling Isabelle, it's about beating the living snot out of characters like Ridley or Cloud with Isabelle. This is the sole reason why I want Isabelle in; she would bring in a new era of dumb matchups.

Last edited:

Anop

Smash Apprentice
Since my girl Ashley died, Im gonna support Isabelle now :)

I really think she will make it! The Vergeben leaks + surviving the AT massacre + other Animal Crossing character being an assist to represent the series, make her chances really strong!

farvin111

Smash Journeyman
She and Shadow are an absolute shoo-in. I think Isabelle has a 99% chance of being an echo fighter, but here's something to think about: Chrom is a hybrid echo character, isn't he? He takes moves from multiple Fire Emblem characters, so that actually makes him unique and... not unique, I guess.

That said, as the "rules" of smash seem to bend all the time, why not give Isabelle other moves from other series? Peach's down B would translate well for Isabelle, since it's hard to imagine her chopping a tree down (though it's hard to imagine her fighting at all lol). Also, I don't believe Villager uses a fishing rod at all, right? That's a huge part of Animal Crossing, so perhaps she could have it in some capacity.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So like Verge was right, and he said Isabelle is in, so she's basically confirmed. With Chrom being an echo, I have no clue wth echos are supposed to be any more so maybe she'll get a bit of her own stuff?

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I'm happy to see Isabelle in. I wonder if she will be an echo of the Villager though, since I struggle to see what her moveset could be?

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Isabelle is definitely not my favorite AC character, but let's be real... Neighbors don't have a chance. So yeah, I'd support her.

I feel like shell probably be an echo with a twist it two. Maybe she'll have Roman candles, sparklers, or a megaphone?
If she has the same DownB as villager, I could also see her having random fruit in her tree that heals.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I believe Isabelle will join Ultimate as an Echo semi clone. I mean she's been the poster girl for Animal Crossing for some time now and she is a charming character. And she has a chance even without the Vergeben leaker, which I still don't believe is legit because he never mentioned Richter Belmont or that a Castlevania song was going to get leaked.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I added her to my sig, if only because I couldn't find a good png for Medusa. But she is there regardless, and I do hope she makes it. <3

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I’m still very much betting on Isabelle being unique instead of an echo.

I could see her being revealed at a nintendo direct where smash is not the main focus, kind of like the Rosalina or Inkling reveals. Maybe in the next Nintendo direct they’ll announce some new Animal Crossing content(AC for switch please!), and end the direct with an Isabelle reveal trailer.

What would y’all want to see in a Isabelle reveal trailer? I’m hoping Fox, Falco, and Wolf can play apart in it, since they’re the other humanoid animals on the roster.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I’m still very much betting on Isabelle being unique instead of an echo.

I could see her being revealed at a nintendo direct where smash is not the main focus, kind of like the Rosalina or Inkling reveals. Maybe in the next Nintendo direct they’ll announce some new Animal Crossing content(AC for switch please!), and end the direct with an Isabelle reveal trailer.

What would y’all want to see in a Isabelle reveal trailer? I’m hoping Fox, Falco, and Wolf can play apart in it, since they’re the other humanoid animals on the roster.
I'm all for her being unique, but what would she do that villager doesn't already do? Maybe she could be our first supporty smasher, that shines more in doubles then singles, but could still hold her own

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Of the remaining assist trophies of past games, Isabelle's got the best choice IMO.

Japan's already lost Ashley so they'll need another cute small one to fill the gap. Only less Magical Girl and more Office Lady.

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
Isabelle I’d say is 2nd place to Shadow in terms of likely echo fighters getting in the game. Meaning that I’m sure she’s getting in. I could also see her having a unique moveset from Villager’s as well, making her a full character and not an echo. But she IS super popular. We’ll see what happens :)

Luminario

Smash Lord
I'm all for her being unique, but what would she do that villager doesn't already do? Maybe she could be our first supporty smasher, that shines more in doubles then singles, but could still hold her own
Moveset in the OP has got that all covered for you~
Villager doesn't even cover all that much of AC, only a few things you can personally do such as pull weeds and use tools. They don't even use all the main tools, the fishing rod is nowhere to be seen, and some moves are completely made up like the bowling ball and the stick. They have nothing on the plethora of home or character customisation, Public Works Projects, or even abstract things like flowers, emotions, or character summoning.

Top Bottom