• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
He mentioned the first one. The second one isn't really a reason against her
I mean those are the ONLY arguments I've seen against her.

Some people feel she fits the assist role better than she does a fighter in the same way it's been mentioned on this page some prefer Nook as a Final Smash and K.K. as a stage feature.

For the record though, I'm supporting Isabelle. Add me to that list. Definitely in my top ten right now.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
I made mockups for Isabelle's alt, making 4 color swap for each costumes as per the standard like with Wario, Bayonetta, the gender swaps, ect. I focused on diversity and the source material, with half of her alts being her ouffits and the others are based the Special characters from Animal Crossing.
Capture+_2018-04-22-16-40-34.jpg

From left to right

1. Spring & Summer Uniform: Her default main appearance as seen in Animal Crossing and marketing.
2. Causal Clothes: Based on the ouffit that she wears at her home in HHD and RV in NLWA
3. K.K Slider: Based on her fellow musician doggo.
4.Pelican Sisters' uniform: Based on her predecessor, primarily uses Pelly's design with a dash of Phillis'.
5. Fall & Winter Uniform: Her 2nd costume, it's the clothes that she wears during the colder months.
6. New Year's Eve Tuxedo: Based on the clothes that she wears on December 31th.
7.Lottie's Happy Home Academy Uniform: Based on the character that was introduced in HHD.
8. Booker and Copper's Police Uniform: Based on her fellow doggo's uniform from the OG AC and NL.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I made mockups for Isabelle's alt, making 4 color swap for each costumes as per the standard like with Wario, Bayonetta, the gender swaps, ect. I focused on diversity and the source material, with half of her alts being her ouffits and the others are based the Special characters from Animal Crossing.

From left to right

1. Spring & Summer Uniform: Her default main appearance as seen in Animal Crossing and marketing.
2. Causal Clothes: Based on the ouffit that she wears at her home in HHD and RV in NLWA
3. K.K Slider: Based on her fellow musician doggo.
4.Pelican Sisters' uniform: Based on her predecessor, primarily uses Pelly's design with a dash of Phillis'.
5. Fall & Winter Uniform: Her 2nd costume, it's the clothes that she wears during the colder months.
6. New Year's Eve Tuxedo: Based on the clothes that she wears on December 31th.
7.Lottie's Happy Home Academy Uniform: Based on the character that was introduced in HHD.
8. Booker and Copper's Police Uniform: Based on her fellow doggo's uniform from the OG AC and NL.
These are really nice edits. Love them all.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Isabelle’s day on RTC is here, come show your support.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
The results of Isabelle's RTC day:
46.08% Chance
41.76% Want

She did better than I expected on both parts; Top 9 on most expected, unfortunately but not surprising, bottom 12 on most wanted.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Showing my support for Isabelle.

And the proletariat liberty.

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
I really like the idea of a "accidental" fighter, and I'd be even more interested in seeing how Sakurai would actually go about making it.

Some people might say her spot as an assist trophy already fits the character, and while that may be true, if Animal Crossing gets another rep I definitely see it being Isabelle.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I have to be honest: I've never played Animal Crossing before. But, I am planning on getting New Leaf for my 3DS. I support!!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How do you guys feel about the idea of incorporating town ordinances into Isabelle's play-style. Like for example, if Isabelle places down a clock-post in the battlefield and Isabelle makes it a law so that for a certain customized period of time, opponents are not allowed to move around the clockpost. And when the opponents pass by the clock-post's zone at the wrong time, they freeze until the time period is over, which allows Isabelle to attack when she wishes because opponents broke the law. She can set the time period of the clock post by holding down the button longer to make the freeze period and non-freeze period longer.

Does this sound like a good idea? I think time based laws would suit her best in this regard. Would this make playing against her un-fun?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
How do you guys feel about the idea of incorporating town ordinances into Isabelle's play-style. Like for example, if Isabelle places down a clock-post in the battlefield and Isabelle makes it a law so that for a certain customized period of time, opponents are not allowed to move around the clockpost. And when the opponents pass by the clock-post's zone at the wrong time, they freeze until the time period is over, which allows Isabelle to attack when she wishes because opponents broke the law. She can set the time period of the clock post by holding down the button longer to make the freeze period and non-freeze period longer.

Does this sound like a good idea? I think time based laws would suit her best in this regard. Would this make playing against her un-fun?
Now I'm imagining Isabelle getting all this work done, her opponent ****ing it up, and Copper and Booker beating them with their night stick for breaking the law

Luminario

Smash Lord

I took quite a bit of time trying to figure out how ordinances would work, but I never actually come up with a way that's accurate or balanced or practical.
I think ordinances would work as a AC stage hazard better, as they're ways to passively affect the town. An Item Rain ordinance could double the rate of items appearing, a Beautiful Town ordinance could spawn flowers on all platforms that stop people from running, stuff like that.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I took quite a bit of time trying to figure out how ordinances would work, but I never actually come up with a way that's accurate or balanced or practical.
I think ordinances would work as a AC stage hazard better, as they're ways to passively affect the town. An Item Rain ordinance could double the rate of items appearing, a Beautiful Town ordinance could spawn flowers on all platforms that stop people from running, stuff like that.
I think town ordinances is the best idea I've heard for Isabelle so far, and I'd like to see someone work it out.

No offense, but imo something like your emote moveset only fit for Dr. Shrunk.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think town ordinances is the best idea I've heard for Isabelle so far, and I'd like to see someone work it out.

No offense, but imo something like your emote moveset only fit for Dr. Shrunk.
It's all good, it was just the one idea for her moveset I liked the most. There's enough material with the misc held items to fit into every emote on my moveset.
The problem with the ordinances is that they're really passive and non-material of a concept without some serious creative liberty. I'm finding it hard to come up with anything that can use them that's practical.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So here me out, a lot of people's hangups on Isabelle is because she's so innocent and helpful. If we get similar reveals trailers to Smash 4, all we'd need is for the mayor to tell Isabelle she needs to join the fight. Boom, problem solved.

I think her one "weapon" can be her clipboard. When she wants an ordinance or project done she scribbles something down, and it happens. Bell Boom can have money rain from the sky, Night Owl can turn the battlefield dark, Beautiful Town can summon flowers that do flower damage idk.

Public Works is a little more difficult. I think certain things like BluePikmin11's idea could work, maybe Solar Panels, and Windmills could work well too.

Tailisu10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TailisuTheTen
3DS FC
3566-1548-8575
Has anyone seen Isabelle in any of the gameplay?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I was pondering on something today. While I think that Isabelle has plenty of ways to stand out, how would you all feel if she ended up being an Echo Fighter for Villager?

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
How would you all feel if Isabelle ended up being an Echo Fighter for Villager?
Is it actually possible to make them both use the exact same animations, given that their proportions are different, without having to chibi her?

It’d be a bit disappointing, and it probably wouldn’t be super fitting anyway as Villager has a mischievous personality that she doesn’t really share, but, compromises have to be made in game dev, right?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Is it actually possible to make them both use the exact same animations, given that their proportions are different, without having to chibi her?

It’d be a bit disappointing, and it probably wouldn’t be super fitting anyway as Villager has a mischievous personality that she doesn’t really share, but, compromises have to be made in game dev, right?
Yeah, I feel like a semi-clone role would fit much better if a fully unique character isn't an option. I just think back to the troubles Sakurai had with Villager back in Brawl and I'd wonder if he really could pull it off again so soon with Isabelle.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I was pondering on something today. While I think that Isabelle has plenty of ways to stand out, how would you all feel if she ended up being an Echo Fighter for Villager?
It's certainly a possibility now that we've seen Daisy as an echo even though her personality doesn't exactly mesh all too well with Peach's moveset. I'll take it though, I want my girl in the game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Sakurai stated to not expect too many newcomers. That's definitely more of a positive for her. I expect her by the next reveal.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
At this point, speaking as an outsider without a horse in the race (I think Isabelle's cute, but I already got my character), I think Isabelle probably has the best chance of any as an echo character.

Changing the properties of Villager's unconventional moves to make a second character out of it shouldn't be incredibly difficult. And while her proportions are slightly smaller than Villager's, the size differences between Young Link/Link and Cap. Falcon/Ganondorf were certainly larger in Melee, and that had a much more condensed development cycle by the sound of things.

But most importantly, she's the recognizable face of the past two mainline AC titles and their successful mobile game. Unlike many predictions for echo characters I've seen, Isabelle might actually be the only "main character" who hasn't been included outright yet. (Unless we're counting Isaac as an echo character possibility. But I feel like Isaac fans would rather him not even be in the game than become a clone.)

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Besides being a popular character from animal crossing and Nintendo in general, Isabelle could work great as an echo, since I believe you could actually make her feel distinct without having to change her combat animations. Villager's moveset use a lot of "items" (as in objects that are not apart of his character model), these items could be altered while the animations could stay the same, like pit having the Upperdash arm and Dark pit having the Electroshock arm.

For example. Her dash attack could use the same animation of falling over while carrying an object, but the object could be replaced with a stack of papers and letters rather than Villager's potted seedling. Or perhaps her forward smash could use the same animation, but have her drop a soccer ball that bounces instead of a bowling ball. Maybe her down special can grow a tree like villager, but instead her tree drops fruit to be eaten and can't be chopped down.

Also I don't know if its been mentioned, but if she gets in, maybe Digby could be an alt costume for her like Alph or the Koopalings.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm not certain if I'm comfortable with Isabelle being an echo character. Enough users already made well thought out potential.

The term is just introduced and users are already jumping the gun, geez.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I'm not certain if I'm comfortable with Isabelle being an echo character. Enough users already made well thought out potential.

I want Isabelle to be a unique character too, but i'll take what i can get. I guess i'm just trying to keep my expectations low when it comes to unique newcomers so I don't end up disappointing myself.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord

I agree. It also doesn't sit well with me that it would set the precedent that Animal Crossing could only have Villager clones and nothing else. I feel like there's enough in the series that could be worked into another unconventional moveset.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I agree. It also doesn't sit well with me that it would set the precedent that Animal Crossing could only have Villager clones and nothing else. I feel like there's enough in the series that could be worked into another unconventional moveset.
Especially when Isabelle has an obvious antic, Public Works.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Indiferent. I think Isabelle could take queues from more recent AC games but if she's an Echo thats fine too. I could see it going either way.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Especially when Isabelle has an obvious antic, Public Works.
True. Her own role and activities should have some baring on her abilities. It'd be like expecting Peach to behave like Mario because that's what players do in Mario games.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
There was one anomaly however. For the html on the website under the other fighters section, all of the series with fighters were listed as:

<p class="fighter-series__header-txt">Other Fighters From This Series</p>

All of the series with a solo fighter were listed as:

<div id="fighter-series-list" class="is-series-list-empty"></div>

All of them except Animal Crossing

https://imgtc.com/i/WiwKWQo.png

It has a section for "Other Fighters From This Series"

No other solo fighter series says this."
So, since I haven't seen this posted here, I thought I'd give Isabelle fans some hope. Apparently someone found the "Other Fighters From This Series" line in the HTML for Villager's Smash Bros. page, which other solo characters (like Shulk, for example) don't have.

And considering Tom Nook is still used in Villager's final smash, I'd assume Isabelle is the only reasonable second fighter from Animal Crossing.

This could be a coding oversight, or it could be a placeholder for what's to be announced later. Here's to hoping!

Last edited:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
So, since I haven't seen this posted here, I thought I'd give Isabelle fans some hope. Apparently someone found the "Other Fighters From This Series" line in the HTML for Villager's Smash Bros. page, which other solo characters (like Shulk, for example) don't have.

And considering Tom Nook is still used in Villager's final smash, I'd assume Isabelle is the only reasonable second fighter from Animal Crossing.

This could be a coding oversight, or it could be a placeholder for what's to be announced later. Here's to hoping!

So we looked into it further and couldnt find what the original poster had found, essentially it appears all the fighters have that same code on the website for the "Other Fighters From this Series" part of the code. R.O.B. has it, game and watch has it, Villager of course does have it too but the original poster said his was unique and the other fighters did not.

So unless we are looking in the wrong part of the code (entirely possible it was sort of unclear where the original finder of this info was looking) it seems to be a false alarm.

But that said, again we might just be looking at the wrong part of the code for the website im no expert on this at all so take it as you will essentially SOMEONE claims they found a discrepancy between Villagers data for it and the rest of the cast that only has a single character for their series, but no one else seems to be able to find what code he was talking about.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So we looked into it further and couldnt find what the original poster had found, essentially it appears all the fighters have that same code on the website for the "Other Fighters From this Series" part of the code. R.O.B. has it, game and watch has it, Villager of course does have it too but the original poster said his was unique and the other fighters did not.

So unless we are looking in the wrong part of the code (entirely possible it was sort of unclear where the original finder of this info was looking) it seems to be a false alarm.

But that said, again we might just be looking at the wrong part of the code for the website im no expert on this at all so take it as you will essentially SOMEONE claims they found a discrepancy between Villagers data for it and the rest of the cast that only has a single character for their series, but no one else seems to be able to find what code he was talking about.
Nope, you're right. I just checked myself on multiple pages. Guess I jumped the gun on re-sharing that information.

The coding used is a placeholder that's put on for every page. I'm not familiar enough with HTML5 to say what the indicator is of whether that part of the page is showing or not. My knowledge is pretty restricted to basic HTML & CSS.

Sorry, false alarm.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Nope, you're right. I just checked myself on multiple pages. Guess I jumped the gun on re-sharing that information.

The coding used is a placeholder that's put on for every page. I'm not familiar enough with HTML5 to say what the indicator is of whether that part of the page is showing or not. My knowledge is pretty restricted to basic HTML & CSS.

Sorry, false alarm.
its all good I jumped the gun myself.

Top Bottom