• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Adorable Assistant of ACNL: Isabelle Discussion Thread

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.deviantart.com/professorfandango/art/SMASH-150-116-ISABELLE-729732544

Aside from liking Isabelle anyway after his initial skepticism, Fandango brings up an important point in the updated description. While Villager made sense as an AC inclusion, that character is not the main draw of the series, the animals are, and up until now they were mostly just background or AT characters in Smash. As such, Isabelle's inclusion is an important one, even putting aside her popularity, so that aspect of the series is now finally being given justice.

Here's something neat you might enjoy

Neat, it's almost like if she and Rosalina were merged.

You know what I just realized? Isabelle is a bell. Her head looks like a bag of bells (the currency in AC), and her name sounds like the statement 'is a bell'
Also, the headband holding up her hair bun? It has bells on it. Never thought about it this way.

Maybe this is why her name was randomly changed to Marie in France, they couldn't think of anything that'd make the pun work.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

Made a mock-up of what some of Isabelle's other alts could be. Judging by how her Pink and Red alts seem to be based off Pelly and Digby, I made the rest based off of other special characters as well. Tried to make them diverse enough in color, too.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm really surprised she didn't get tagged as an echo. Pleasantly surprised, but surprised still.

I also love the little deviousness she had when considering taking over as mayor. She's got a little dark side now.
That cute pup has bit more of a depth than you think - just check out the trivia for her you find on AC-Wiki:

• Talking to jock villagers will reveal some hidden depths to Isabelle's character:
    • They will sometimes that Isabelle taught them a new workout regimen where they pull weeds out from the ground, which, quite obviously to the player, is actually Isabelle shifting her duties to the villagers. This could hint to a possible mischievous side of Isabelle's character. More evidence to this side of Isabelle can be found in the Welcome Amiibo update, in which, after losing to Isabelle in Puzzle League, she will taunt the player by, as "leader of the Puzzle League," offering them a secretary position. Additionally, in Happy Home Designer Isabelle will playfully taunt Digby by calling him the "baby brother."
    • Jock villagers also mention that breaking a window will cause Isabelle to go "Isabellistic," hinting that Isabelle is not always as nice and respectful as she seems, and can be pushed into feelings of frustration, rage, and anger. This side of Isabelle has yet to be explored further in the series.
    • Another dialogue option has her remark on how she's "rediscover[ed]" the beauty of the player's town, causing her to remark, "Technically, I think that makes this a work trip for tax purposes, right?" possibly hinting Isabelle commits tax evasion. (Isabelle's Van Dialogue)

We better fear for her, because like Retsuko the Aggressive Red Panda, she's gonna now let loose

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
One thing I like about her confirmation is that it makes this happy little song all the more relevant again:

Now she doesn't have to get left behind again. What? I'm not crying... SHUT UP!
I'm not crying, you're crying! lol that's a really good song. Thanks for sharing it

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
That cute pup has bit more of a depth than you think - just check out the trivia for her you find on AC-Wiki:

• Another dialogue option has her remark on how she's "rediscover[ed]" the beauty of the player's town, causing her to remark, "Technically, I think that makes this a work trip for tax purposes, right?" possibly hinting Isabelle commits tax evasion. (Isabelle's Van Dialogue)
Isabelle commits tax fraud.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Made a mock-up of what some of Isabelle's other alts could be. Judging by how her Pink and Red alts seem to be based off Pelly and Digby, I made the rest based off of other special characters as well. Tried to make them diverse enough in color, too.
I do like the yellow jacket, regardless of the half-baked spin-off it's attached to, so I hope it's in here.

Although I'm admittedly a tad disappointed we didn't see her toss a dice as an attack. :p

Edit: By the way, I posted this in the Isaac thread, I thought you folks might like it since Isabelle having a mischievous side is the current topic:

I honestly wonder which design he would go for, the burly Bluto type, or the '98 Waluigi-esque one.

Also, Stoic Seraphim has struck again, though without referencing Isabelle's previous AT status:

View attachment 164455

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Since there was some negativity surrounding her, I wanted to show a reaction mashup of several Youtubers getting hyped for Isabelle in Smash. I suggest you turn down the volume.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I still can’t get over how BOTH of my most wanted characters somehow got into Smash. K. Rool and Isabelle are dreams come true, and the Ice Climbers (my old Brawl mains) are back as well... the only challenge will be figuring out who to main!

I went into this season of Smash speculation with no hopes, not expecting to get anyone I really wanted, and well... things are going great! :grin:

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Can someone explain the Yoshi tax fraud thing to me?
It started as a joke on tumblr where someone posted a pick of Yoshi saying "I committed tax fraud," and from there it spiraled into a meme.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I don't know if it's been posted yet but here's the reaction people had to Isabelle at the Nintendo World store in NY (at about 48:06):

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Can someone explain the Yoshi tax fraud thing to me?
It started as a joke on tumblr where someone posted a pick of Yoshi saying "I committed tax fraud," and from there it spiraled into a meme.
It also spun off from a similar joke someone did, saying "there is no such thing as a bad Kirby game", that resulted in Kirby Does His Taxes.

DJDave189

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DJDave157
I can't believe that we're in a time where a Shih Tzu secretary will be fighting against a extraterrestrial dragon, lol this is great and I also find funny how some people were probably expecting Isabelle to be playable and once she was revealed to be playable some of those people are now being salty.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I've had somebody call me toxic for defending Isabelle's inclusion, when they we're insulting me by calling me a "austic super fan" the irony is hilarious

Luigi580

Smash Apprentice
I've had somebody call me toxic for defending Isabelle's inclusion, when they we're insulting me by calling me a "austic super fan" the irony is hilarious
Holy crap, really? I can understand them not believing Isabelle will make it in, much less a unique fighter, but "autistic super fan?"

I hope it was just some chump on 4chan and not someone IRL.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Holy crap, really? I can understand them not believing Isabelle will make it in, much less a unique fighter, but "autistic super fan?"

I hope it was just some chump on 4chan and not someone IRL.
It was some chump on instagram

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Congrats to all Isabelle fans, she’s a great addition and Animal Crossing deserves it.

I love how her moveset it’s just doing her daily tasks, she’s not directly fighting you and people are just getting in the way, i mean, Villager kinda does this already but he’s definitely trying to hurt you with the slingshot and the axe.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Congrats to all Isabelle, she’s a great addition and Animal Crossing deserves it.

I love how her moveset it’s just doing her daily tasks, she’s not directly fighting you and people are just getting in the way, i mean, Villager kinda does this already but he’s definitely trying to hurt you with the slingshot and the axe.
Yeah, as weird as it sounds, I kind of wish part of her getting her own unique moveset was more her just doing her job. Though come to think of it, the gyroid mine could be the donations gyroid. It is kind of funny to imagine that she's so busy doing her secretary duties that fighting is an afterthought for her in Smash.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
Why is everybody obssesed with making Isabelle a semiclone? Like she is more unique than Wolf and Lucas, at least she has a totally unique side b and down b.

But you hear constantly "SHE IS LIKE DR.MARIO" "SHE IS LESS UNIQUE THAN WOLF WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" "HOW CAN SHE BE UNIQUE WHEN SHE SHARES HALF OF HER MOVESET WITH VILLAGER" (which isn't true but alas)

I get that a lot of hardcore Smash players didn't want her in but it's kinda annoying tbh

Luminario

Smash Lord
Why is everybody obssesed with making Isabelle a semiclone? Like she is more unique than Wolf and Lucas, at least she has a totally unique side b and down b.

But you hear constantly "SHE IS LIKE DR.MARIO" "SHE IS LESS UNIQUE THAN WOLF WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT" "HOW CAN SHE BE UNIQUE WHEN SHE SHARES HALF OF HER MOVESET WITH VILLAGER" (which isn't true but alas)

I get that a lot of hardcore Smash players didn't want her in but it's kinda annoying tbh
She could reasonably be classified as a semi-clone due to parts of her moveset being ripped from Villager's (namely grab and pocket) but from what we've seen she's more unique than clone. Sakurai probably borrowed from Villager to fill in the blanks.
The real reason some people say Isabelle is on the clone-y end of the semi-clone scale is due to downplaying how much development time she took, so they feel that there's less reason to panic about their fave character not getting in.
Keep in mind we haven't seen most aerials, grabs, jab, down and side tilt, or how Up B works. How similar she is to Villager is something we don't fully know yet.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just for fun, look at the character row on the official Smash Ultimate site after selecting a character and compare and contrast the last four fighters on that row before Isabelle.

Why is everybody obssesed with making Isabelle a semiclone? Like she is more unique than Wolf and Lucas, at least she has a totally unique side b and down
Now that you mention it, that's absolutely true.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
remember in new leaf when lazy villagers would send you a letter saying they had a dream that isabelle was 40ft tall? hoe great would it have been if that had been ger final smash

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
remember in new leaf when lazy villagers would send you a letter saying they had a dream that isabelle was 40ft tall? hoe great would it have been if that had been ger final smash
That would have been a cooler FS for sure. Don't know what Isabelle could have, but I kind of wish it wasn't a copy of Villagers. It seemed like in this Smash the team was trying to avoid clone FS, with Zelda and Sheik both getting new ones, only one Link (to my knowledge) retaining the Triforce Slash, etc., Though Simon/Richter, and the Starfox characters all have similar FS to their respective series. Still, Villager builds more than Isabelle, and at least he's responsible for his own house, whereas Isabelle doesn't build the town hall in New Leaf. I kind of wish she had a FS that pertained to being the secretary, or funding public work projects, or something. Maybe she organizes a town festival with a dazzling fireworks show that singes all opponents on screen.

Though now I'm just imagining Isabelle copying Bowser's FFS with a giant Giga Isabelle punching her adorable fists into the foreground.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can't wait to just put her in the background of my posts as my mains.

I can't see anyone else other than maybe Geno taking main status away from her.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
It seemed like in this Smash the team was trying to avoid clone FS, with Zelda and Sheik both getting new ones, only one Link (to my knowledge) retaining the Triforce Slash, etc.,Though Simon/Richter, and the Starfox characters all have similar FS to their respective series.
We haven't seen Young Link's, nor Richter's.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
We haven't seen Young Link's, nor Richter's.
That is why I said "That I know of)" for the Links, bearing in mind that Yink hasn't had his FS shown yet. Still, I thought Richter was confirmed Holy Cross too. Maybe I'll re-watch the little Richter gameplay we have again. Richter should have Holy Cross, since technically it comes from his game over the original Castlevania, and Sakurai already said Simon and Richter kind of copy each other, so neither is necessarily the de facto clone of the other.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not sure if it’s fan made or not but remember when :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool: got added to the portrait at the ending of direct

Well here’s Isabelle getting that

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Not sure if it’s fan made or not but remember when :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool: got added to the portrait at the ending of direct

Well here’s Isabelle getting that

So far as I know, the video is fan edited, but the art and placement is real. You can see it on the Smash Bros. Ultimate site. Personally, I was a little disappointed the Direct didn't give us the banner update showing where Isabelle is like this fan did for this video.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
The blog confirmed that the fishing pole can be used as a tether recovery.
I feel like most people were pretty sure it would be, but it's still nice to have 100% confirmation.

Top Bottom