• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Admirable Exterminator: Stanley the Bugman exterminates the competition!

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
So in the past few months I couldn't stay away from this fella. I've always liked Stanley, I first saw him in Melee, and I really liked his design, he was such a goofy guy! Then I discovered where he came from, but only played Donkey Kong 3, and it was actually really fun! Stanley would be a great DK "non-DKCountry" rep, as well as a retro rep! I kinda doubt Stanley would have the DK series icon, he could have his own, but not Mario's at all of course, we never technically saw him in any Mario game, since Donkey Kong... was Donkey Kong... The moveset you bring up seems to be lots of fun! I'd love to play as him if he ever got in, and maybe I'd even main him, I really like him! I got the idea of finding a Smashboards Stanley support thread (I'm surprised there's one btw!) after today seeing a leak that supposedly says Stanley will be in Ultimate, and that the leaker has footage which will be posted tomorrow, guess we'll just have to wait and see. Stanley maybe isn't the most retro rep requested for a Smash game, not as much as Excite Biker, Mach Rider or even Balloon Fighter, but I truly see this good boy making it into the battlefield some day! Count me in as support!

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
What about giving him for one of his specials the ability to form a cloud that damages over time anyone who enters it?

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
So in the past few months I couldn't stay away from this fella. I've always liked Stanley, I first saw him in Melee, and I really liked his design, he was such a goofy guy! Then I discovered where he came from, but only played Donkey Kong 3, and it was actually really fun! Stanley would be a great DK "non-DKCountry" rep, as well as a retro rep! I kinda doubt Stanley would have the DK series icon, he could have his own, but not Mario's at all of course, we never technically saw him in any Mario game, since Donkey Kong... was Donkey Kong... The moveset you bring up seems to be lots of fun! I'd love to play as him if he ever got in, and maybe I'd even main him, I really like him! I got the idea of finding a Smashboards Stanley support thread (I'm surprised there's one btw!) after today seeing a leak that supposedly says Stanley will be in Ultimate, and that the leaker has footage which will be posted tomorrow, guess we'll just have to wait and see. Stanley maybe isn't the most retro rep requested for a Smash game, not as much as Excite Biker, Mach Rider or even Balloon Fighter, but I truly see this good boy making it into the battlefield some day! Count me in as support!

Actually, I'm surprised to see another Stanley fan if I'm being honest, it's been so long since I last posted anything, but yeah. I'm happy you are willing to support Stanley, all the supporters are welcome in my book. So if you ever wanted to ask anything about Stanley, I can tell you all I know. Also thank you for your kindness, I appreciate you liking my moveset for him, I came it up by myself. It took a long while but in the end it was worth it.

Also as for the icon, I suggested my own with his bugspray, which you can see at the top of the thread. Since I do see him as a retro character more rather than a Donkey Kong character. But yeah, either way. I'm glad you like the thread so far. As far as the leak goes...

I've seen it and to be honest, I would love it if it were true. But seeing as it's barely credible and has any good track record of being real, I kinda doubt it'll end up being real. But I would love it if it does turn out to be true. At least that way, there'd be lots more people interested in the character and interested in his orgin/backstory. But yeah if it turns out to be fake, I will assume that they're going with a more popular retro character. Such as Excitebiker or Balloon Fighter. But only time will tell, let's hope for the best shall we?

Oh right before I forget, I'll definitely add you to the list of supporters. And I'll make sure to check out Pokey's thread in return for your support. :)

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
What about giving him for one of his specials the ability to form a cloud that damages over time anyone who enters it?
Actually his aerials have some cloud properties, while his specials are completely different from that. But good idea, I'll take that into consideration when thinking of other movesets for him. :)

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Count me as a supporter.

Stanley was always a forgotten face I’ve always wanted to be revived.

I don’t understand people who say he should be an AT, Duck Hunt could easily have been a dud AT with the dog laughing at you but where they are now.

My way of differentiating his jab with G&W’s is make it function more like Bowser/Charizard’s fire breath but with bug gas.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Count me as a supporter.

Stanley was always a forgotten face I’ve always wanted to be revived.

I don’t understand people who say he should be an AT, Duck Hunt could easily have been a dud AT with the dog laughing at you but where they are now.

My way of differentiating his jab with G&W’s is make it function more like Bowser/Charizard’s fire breath but with bug gas.
Oh another supporter? By all means join us. You're always welcome aboard. And I agree, people like to suggest the AT role only because of 2 reasons.
1. They either don't like the character and wants to end up seeing that character as an assist trophy so they're out of the way of making it in the roster.
2. They can't imagine them as a character or they don't have any idea how they work so that's why they want to put less effort to them and rather put them as an assist where they only use 2-3 moves overall.

And that's a very nice idea, I do like how you emphasized on the fact that that his Bugspray works in a similar way like Charizard and Bowser's flames. It makes him somewhat unique with a feature like that compared to Game & Watch.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
He’s one of the retro reps that I’d love to see make it including Donkey Kong Junior, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, Mach Rider, Mr. You from Sky Skipper, Ryu Hayabusa, Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble, Billy and Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon, and Arthur from Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
He’s one of the retro reps that I’d love to see make it including Donkey Kong Junior, Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, Mach Rider, Mr. You from Sky Skipper, Ryu Hayabusa, Bub and Bob from Bubble Bobble, Billy and Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon, and Arthur from Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins.
Oh that's awesome, I am actually surprised you want Mr. You from Sky Skipper, he's often neglected to many all around. But yeah, I like your list actually. And the support for Stanley makes me even happier I'll admit. You have a lot of interesting choices.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Oh that's awesome, I am actually surprised you want Mr. You from Sky Skipper, he's often neglected to many all around. But yeah, I like your list actually. And the support for Stanley makes me even happier I'll admit. You have a lot of interesting choices.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
If Stanley was in and Geno wasn't, it will be so ****ing hilarious that I would play as him just for trolling. Also, I think we should see him in a new Mario Sport title, alongside Lubba, Tatanga, Wart, MIPS, Donkey Kong Jr, Toadworth, E.Gadd, Boshi and Pauline.

Add me on the list please ;) !

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
If Stanley was in and Geno wasn't, it will be so ****ing hilarious that I would play as him just for trolling. Also, I think we should see him in a new Mario Sport title, alongside Lubba, Tatanga, Wart, MIPS, Donkey Kong Jr, Toadworth, E.Gadd, Boshi and Pauline.

Add me on the list please ;) !
I like your enthusiasm actually. I do think it's overdue how most of those characters still hasn't made it into a spin-off game yet, but in due time hopefully.
And sure, any support is welcome in my book. So I'll make sure to include you as well.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I decided to do a few Stanley color options.

Regular Stanley
Flipped overall and shirt colors in the same way Mario and Luigi's colors flipped
The colors frequently used on the Arcade flyers
Game and Watch inspired
Inspired by Mario from Super Mario Bros
Inspired by Luigi from Mario Bros
Wario's more subdued colors he had in early artwork
based on nothing in particular, just "almost his colors but not quite"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So in the past few months I couldn't stay away from this fella. I've always liked Stanley, I first saw him in Melee, and I really liked his design, he was such a goofy guy! Then I discovered where he came from, but only played Donkey Kong 3, and it was actually really fun! Stanley would be a great DK "non-DKCountry" rep, as well as a retro rep! I kinda doubt Stanley would have the DK series icon, he could have his own, but not Mario's at all of course, we never technically saw him in any Mario game, since Donkey Kong... was Donkey Kong...
I can easily see his "series" be represented by Donkey Kong 3 itself, much like how :ultbayonetta: 's is Bayonetta 2 in Ultimate.

Regular Stanley
Flipped overall and shirt colors in the same way Mario and Luigi's colors flipped
Game and Watch inspired
Pretty nice work on these!

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice

Regular Stanley
Game and Watch inspired
Very nice, I like these options, especially the one with black and white colours.
Great job!

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I love retro characters, they are one of the most unique things SSB has to offer. Admittedly I don't know how much I would like to actually see Stanley specifically, I'd have to see him in action and then make up my mind, but no SSB game is complete without a humorous retro fighter, and I've always gravitated towards these fighters.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
Well, it was an impressive attempt after yet another whole era gone by, but it seems our beloved bug man didn't quite get his spotlight shine once again, spotted here as a ''spirit'':

And on top of this... it seems the ''link'' to Game and Watch will never cease to end, as he now seems to transform into Stanley when he uses his bugspray:

Really a complete mistreat that no new retro character has been revealed as of now, DLC perhaps? But not extremely likely knowing how those seats tend to get filled up pretty fast with the sheer cue of characters, modern or third party alone awaiting their addition.

No doubt, every single one of us who devote their feelings and creativity to these characters, all of our excitement riled up, I wouldn't want to throw it all away in the garbage; but this is coming from someone who was lucky enough to receive two characters from my top five that couldn't make it to Smash 4. I can sort of understand the pain of loss which fans are feeling, to their respective characters.

I would like to use this opportunity to thank everybody here that was generous to support and/or otherwise acknowledge him, sparking this thread with curiosity, you know who you are:

Stanley Would Approve:

Mr.J Mr.J

GoodGrief741

lady_sky skipper

SSBCandidates

Wonks

MasterWarlord

RealLuigisWearPink

smashkirby

Sailor Waddle Dee

SEGAGameBoy

Ninten DS Ninten DS

sman3579

pupNapoleon

Dee Dude Dee Dude

FalconFire93 FalconFire93

Crap-Zapper

dangeraaron10

Ura

Manonymous Manonymous

MeatOfJustice MeatOfJustice

Oddball Oddball

KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465

You all proved that creativity and support is not limited to what your positions are, whether it be importance in the gaming/Smash industry or forums. And staying confident and strong that someday our patient bug man will get fully recognized, and elevated into a better state, for his next appearance in a video game.

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Well, it was an impressive attempt after yet another whole era gone by, but it seems our beloved bug man didn't quite get his spotlight shine once again, spotted here as a ''spirit'':

And on top of this... it seems the ''link'' to Game and Watch will never cease to end, as he now seems to transform into Stanley when he uses his bugspray:

Really a complete mistreat that no new retro character has been revealed as of now, DLC perhaps? But not extremely likely knowing how those seats tend to get filled up pretty fast with the sheer cue of characters, modern or third party alone awaiting their addition.

No doubt, every single one of us who devote their feelings and creativity to these characters, all of our excitement riled up, I wouldn't want to throw it all away in the garbage; but this is coming from someone who was lucky enough to receive two characters from my top five that couldn't make it to Smash 4. I can sort of understand the pain of loss which fans are feeling, to their respective characters.

I would like to use this opportunity to thank everybody here that was generous to support him, you know who you are:

Stanley Would Approve:

Mr.J Mr.J

GoodGrief741

lady_sky skipper

SSBCandidates

Wonks

RealLuigisWearPink

smashkirby

SEGAGameBoy

Ninten DS Ninten DS

Dee Dude Dee Dude

FalconFire93 FalconFire93

Manonymous Manonymous

You all proved that creativity and support is not limited to what your positions are, whether it be importance in the gaming/Smash industry or forums. And staying confident and strong that someday our patient bug man will get fully recognized, and elevated into a better state, for his next appearance in a video game.
Even though I'm loss for words personally, I do believe I have a few things to say before the time is up.
With all the characters being revealed and the game not having a retro character, makes me question Sakurai's development process. But again, it's his game, so he'll do as he pleases. At the end of the day, no matter how bad it turns out. Or how many character got deconfirmed. We're all in it for fun.

Anyway with all that said, I'd like to thank everyone who's been sticking around. Everyone who's supported Stanley and in fact, and I'd like to thank everyone for all the comments and all the feedback as well, but most of all.

I'd like to thank you Sir Ridley XII Sir Ridley XII for helping me out with making this thread, and helping me to get to know all of these people. Without you I wouldn't have experienced this place and meet such awesome people. It has been an amazing experience, and I hope to go through with this again in the future.

And with that, I'd like to end with a final statement. Even though some of us aren't winners, that doesn't mean it's all over. We got through the development from start to finish. And was a long and an enjoyable journey, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is quite the ultimate game and I'm happy for just about anyone and everyone who managed to get their character in one way or another.

Once again, it's been a blast, and even though Stanley didn't get in this time around. There's always next time. <3

Top Bottom