• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Admirable Exterminator: Stanley the Bugman exterminates the competition!

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice

Welcome to the Stanley Thread!

Who is Stanley, you ask? Allow me to explain about the backstory of the character as well as the history behind his games. And the reasons why I think he's a perfect fit for Super Smash Bros Switch.

First off, I'd like to start of by explaining who Stanley the Bugman is. Stanley is a character that originiated from a Game & Watch game called Greenhouse, which released back in 1982. Which starred a character named Stanley, he was known to be an exterminator, and the main objective of his game was to exterminate all bugs that infest in his garden also known as Greenhouse. He's also been known to be called "The Fumigator" in his game.

Fast-foward in time and we go to his next game which is actually a sequel to a game, I'm sure you're all aware of. It's none other than Donkey Kong Jr. The game actually had a sequel which was called Donkey Kong 3. Which released the following year, it featured the same lovable guy as you all know. Stanley was the main character in this game, and since it was straight after DK.Jr it did not include Mario nor Donkey Kong.Jr in the game. The game had a short but an enjoyable plot, which I can summarize in a few sentences.

The original Donkey Kong, who's currently named Cranky, had his sights on Stanley's Garden and decided to run amok and terrorize his flowers for whatever reason and because of that Stanley had to do what any hero would do and try to stop the threat of Donkey Kong. So in the game you control Stanley to stop Donkey Kong from ruining your garden and capturing your flowers. It's pretty self explanatory.

And after that game Stanley hasn't really had much of a major role as a character, in fact he hasn't been playable after that game. He's only had a minor easter eggs in a few games like Game & Watch Gallery 4, Wario Ware, and also Super Smash Bros Melee to name a few. He also had an interesting cameo in the Saturday Supercade 1980's cartoon in an episode called Greenhouse Gorilla. Oh and also he happened to be in NES Remix although it was the same game, Donkey Kong 3, only with a few minor challenges.

Anyway, now with the backstory and history explained allow me to tell you, why Stanley in Super Smash Bros for Switch, is an absoutely perfect idea. First off he's a part of Nintendo's history. While his game hasn't been critically acclaimed to be a success, he still has been a part of Nintendo's history. He's actually been there from the start and helped out the shift to a different genre then just a typical platformer. He's also in fact the missing part of the trilogy protagonists. Such as heavy-hitters like Mario and Donkey Kong, Stanley is the only one who's remained to be playable in that series. So having him in the roster would complete the trilogy of Donkey Kong.

"Why would you want to ask for another Mario/Donkey Kong character? He's just the same." I hear you thinking.

Well to answer your question. He's not the same, in fact he's quite different from them. While Donkey Kong was a platformer as well as Donkey Kong Jr. The game Stanley starred in was actually a fixed-shooter, sorta like the popular franchise Space Invaders. That is pretty interesting within itself. The only similairity between the characters is the fact that Stanley dressed simliar to Mario and sorta looks identical to him.

There's been several theories that he might be related to Mario, but unfortunately those are just speculations and nothing has been confirmed at all. I'd like to assume, Stanley is not related to Mario mainly because, he doesn't know him and he's never actually encountered him in any game.

"Mr.Game & Watch already has his bug-spray so he can't be a playable character because of that."

Now I hear counter-argument a lot and I've come to think of it quite sometime. If one character has a certain object or an ability does that immediately deconfirm a character or make a character not possible? No in fact, there has been instances where an object or ability can be in sync with another or altered in a different way.

Allow me to elaborate, there can be two bug-sprays which are the same but different. Take for example the Master Sword, it is said that only one Master Sword exist in the Zelda universe. But yet, we have Toon Link with the same Master Sword as Link, would that mean Toon Link can't be a possible character? No in fact having the same item doesn't mean anything. Same thing can be applied to Mario and Luigi with their fireballs, Fox and Falco with their gun blasters, Marth and Lucina with the Fachion... Among other characters with the same item/ability.

Just because Mr. Game & Watch has a bug-spray, doesn't mean that Stanley can't have one too.
Not to mention if that's an issue there is a simple solution to solve it. Have either Mr.Game&Watch change his A move to something else or make Stanley's bugspray a different kind.

Meaning, if Mr.Game & Watch has the 2D bugspray, Stanley can have the 3D altered version. But with a different code of paint. And speaking of Mr.Game&Watch, that brings me to my second reason.

As for my other reason, Stanley is apart of Game & Watch as well, with him having connections with certain characters in the Super Smash Bros series, it can lead to further connections and possible character developments. Sorta like in Supspace Emissary which is a good thing. With more connections, we can fill in the plot holes to each of the characters linked to Stanley as well as get the missing part of the history of Nintendo. Seeing as Stanley is apart of that, he should be included to fill that empty spot.

He's had connections to Super Smash Bros before, like I previously mentioned.
He actually had a 3D Model of a trophy in Super Smash Bros Melee. So there is already a trace of him in the series.

"No, he's not worthy a playable character status. He'd be better off as an assist trophy."

Before you tell me that, allow me to explain why making him an assist trophy would be a bad idea.
Now with the current assist trophies, they're usually correlated to franchises with characters already playable, aside from a few exceptions. Most of the time, assist trophies have a designated character within the roster. Like for example, Mario and Chain Chomp, Wario and Ashley, Captain Falcon and Samurai Goroh, to name a few.

And with him being a retro character not exactly placed within any franchise (as of now anyway) , that would only destroy his chances of becoming relevant. While the assist trophy chamber as I like to call it, is more of a placement to put characters that are either not considered worth the effort or possibly characters that have minor moveset potential. (Eg: Helirin, Metroid or Infantry and Tanks from Advance Wars)
And that is something I think Stanley does not fit in.

Either way, with that said. I'll move to my next point which is his moveset.
Now allow me to explain his moveset, which I made up myself actually.
The inspirations I've taken into consideration is mostly from his latest game, which is Donkey Kong 3.

Most of his attacks will include his trusty bug repellent as well as a few moves and items from his game. Now then, let's start of with his specials first.
B - Spray Cloud, just like Mr. Game & Watch neutral this move has Stanley blow a regular spray cloud with a minor projectile but the more you charge it the more damage it does, however the bigger the spray cloud is, the slower it moves.
Up B - Trampoline Spray, he sprays upward 3 times with his bug spray, he can damage the enemy slightly and also lightly push them from wind exposure. However once he sprays the third time he cannot use any moves aside from falling down.
Side B - Bee Jar, this is a second projectile Stanley has where he releases a bee from a jar. And it alters every time he does it. Sometimes he can get a big self-exploding bee as soon as it touches someone, and sometimes he can get a small bee that stings fast and sometimes just a worm, which does nothing.
Down B - Flower Power, this is an ability in which Stanley can self heal himself if timed correctly, sorta like Wii Fit Trainer's move called Sun Salutation. You try to time his ability to smell a flower, if done correctly you restore 3 HP, if not you get 0 HP and it takes a while to heal as well, so you can't do it as much as you like in the middle of a fight.

Now onto his tilts, jabs, air attacks, throws and smash attacks, taunts as well as the rest of his moves.
A - Spray, basically the same as Mr.Game & Watch and you can mash as many times as you like.
Side A - Twirling Bugspray, his Bug spray spins basically facing the outer end of his bugspray which hits similiar like Palutenas Side A but more faster.
Down A - Toe Poke, he lightly kicks with the front of his foot in a way where you can trip.
Up A - Cloud Patrol, with this ability Stanley only aims upwards and creates a poisonous cloud which can damage opponents from above but it is short ranged and very nimble.

Now for his air attacks.
Neutral Air - Flail, Stanley lightly flails in the air and hits whatever is closeby, it does minor damage if you're away but does more damage if you're closer.
Foward Air - Foward Spray, sorta like his neutral he sprays foward as he's in the air.
Back Air - Pointy End, Stanley simply hits with the back-end of his bugspray sorta like Pit's backair with his arrow.
Up Air - Up Spray, he does the same as foward air, except it's only upwards.
Down Air - Ground pound, simliar to Bowser's ground pound, Stanley hits the ground with his feet instead of his butt.

And now for his throws,
Pummel - he simply grabs and pummels you with his spray, sorta like a hammer.
Foward Throw - he sprays on the opponent while they struggle in their movement. And then throws them forward.
Back Throw - Stanley holds the opponent and turns around them and hits them with the pointy end of his spray.
Down Throw - Stanley sprays them downwards and stomps on them.
Up Throw - he grabs the opponent and throws them up and sprays them upwards.

And also time for his Smash Attacks,
Forward Smash - Maximum Explosion, Stanley charges his bug spray and makes an explosion from his bug spray.
Up Smash - Stinging Bee, Stanley holds up a huge bee ontop of his head and stings upwards. Think of it more as a spiny shell or some short of sharp needle.
Down Smash - Plant, you simply plant a flower on the ground and wait for an enemy to appear. The more you charge the attack, the longer you trap the enemy. It works like Snake's Down Smash but instead of exploding you off a distance, this one keeps you intact.

Now for his taunts,

Side Taunt - Dancing Spree, just like the winning jingle in Donkey Kong 3, Stanley dances randomly to a victory jingle.
Up Taunt - Catching Bugspray, Stanley simply throws up his bug-spray in a rolling motion and grabs it with one hand and looks happily to the camera.
Down Taunt - Watering Time, he holds a random flower from his garden and waters it and sometimes the flower grows into something cute. There can be three variations of this flower, one is a regular pink flower which makes Stanley happy, one is a smelly brown flower which makes Stanley disgusted, and one is a Piranha Plant, which scares Stanley slightly.

And lastly we finish it off with his Final Smash,
Final Smash - Pollinating Season
His final smash works the best if you're close to your enemy, if you activiate your final smash you trap them in a plant and when they're stuck, Stanley sprays his spray around the opponents with an odour and makes the bees and bugs attack them until they're done. Usually it takes around 3-4 seconds and it does around 35-45 damage as well.
And it also has knockback.

And that's all of his movesets. There's also more stuff to mention, like his victory animations, losing animation, idle animation, music tracks, items etc. Although, I'd love to hear you guys offer your suggestions for that part, even though I have a few ideas myself. I am willing to listen to your ideas and suggestions. I'll be happy to hear what you all have to share.

According to a friend of mine who recently discovered this. There has been documented files of an old game featuring Stanley the Bugman, and this game was just discovered after it being hidden for about 33 years. And it is a supposed sequel to Donkey Kong 3, it was called Donkey Kong 3: Dai Gyakushuu. It's supposedly based after the events of Donkey Kong 3, and you simply control Stanley as the main character to get Donkey Kong away from touching the ground. It's the same basic premise as the previous game, except this time it's slightly different in that, Stanley moves slightly slower, but he fires further away. And also it was created by Hudson Soft in 1984, as a direct sequel. Here's a few videos showcasing the different levels of the game as well as, the prototype images for the game. It's worth a watch, in case you're interested in watching undiscovered games that have been discovered.

UPDATED!

We're now open!

The official server for Stanley the Bugman, this is a server based on both Smash related content as well as Mario Spin-offs among other things, if you like Stanley or have any sort of interest in supporting him. Make sure to join this official Stanley the Bugman support server. In terms of content, you're allowed to post your original art, post things regarding Stanley for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, fan art of anything you like (as long as it's not NSFW), among other things. So if you'd like to join, don't be afraid. The more supporters we get the better. That's all. Thank you for listening and have a nice day!

https://discord.gg/JnUmeTz

Music Options/Music Selections

Title Theme:
Stage Theme 2:
Power-Up Theme:
Donkey Kong 3 - Game & Watch Gallery 4:
Victory Theme:
Credits List:
JoeAdok (Deviantart)
Fryguy64 (Deviantart)
@Little-Mac!! (SmashBoards)
Kevandre (Deviantart)
Lunoz (Deviantart)
Mariowiki.com
Stanley Supporters List:
Mr.J Mr.J
Wonks Wonks

This is a thread primarily for Stanley the Bugman. So all off-topic discussions will have to be taken outside of this thread.

Last edited:

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
An interesting choice for a retro character. Supported him last time when Smash 4 was on the brink of getting released, but now we have a bit more time to ponder, it is a real shame his game didn't get the recognition it deserved as it was quite innovative for its time. He also needs to make a massive comeback in the Mario games at the very least.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have a soft spot for extremely retro yet important characters.

That said, I am so infatuated with the idea of him as an assist trophy, I would prefer that above all.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
While I would love him as an Assist Trophy, the moveset is so well thought out I can’t help but get behind the idea of him being playable. Kudos for that.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
An interesting choice for a retro character. Supported him last time when Smash 4 was on the brink of getting released, but now we have a bit more time to ponder, it is a real shame his game didn't get the recognition it deserved as it was quite innovative for its time. He also needs to make a massive comeback in the Mario games at the very least.
Indeed, the fact that the last thread of Stanley didn't do so well, I thought making one in the start of the hype of a game would better its chances of making more of a crowd and perhaps more interest to the character, rather than doing it at the end of the game's release and possibly having a much more decreased interest in character suggestions.

With that being said.
Stanley does need to make a comeback, now with characters like Marx from Kirby being in Star Allies, and Pauline in Super Mario Odyssey, I would say bringing old characters to new games would make a lot more sense than say, bringing just another for example, Fire Emblem character or a generic sword fighter. But that's just my opinion.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I have a soft spot for extremely retro yet important characters.

That said, I am so infatuated with the idea of him as an assist trophy, I would prefer that above all.
While I do appreciate your enthusiasm and kind feedback. I do have to disagree on your statement.
What I think of the assist trophy arguement is that, he's simply not fit to be an assist trophy.
Like I said before, to use a retro character as an assist trophy would be out of the question.
Take for example characters like Takmaru and Prince Sablé, while they have franchises of their own.

Putting them as assist trophy not only ruined their chances to become actual characters, but also made it difficult for them to gain a fanbase. Compared to if they were playable.
Seeing how most of the fighters turned out to be Fire Emblem or a generic anime sword fighter, it only lead to an inbalanced in terms of the roster as well as making most assist trophies retro related. Which is why we see to this day, people complaining of Takamaru's inclusion as an assist trophy, because there's not a lot of people that see him as one, myself included.

Which in term is why, I'm mentioning the fact that Stanley, while being a retro character. Does not fit the bill as an assist trophy. Because retro characters are not represented enough in the actual roster. Now you could argue with the fact that Takamaru is a generic sword fighter.
But I would disagree on that part as well. Mainly because, he does not only use a sword as a weapon, he also has other abilities as well as scrolls in his game which he utalizes. But that's a different discussion for another time. What I'm trying to conclude is that. Stanley is not a character that's meant to be an assist trophy, because he offers more than a simple set of moves.

And once again, most characters assosiated with assist trophies already have a representative of their franchise. Like for example, Villager and Isabelle. While Isabelle is an assist trophy, we do have in fact the representative of her franchise as a playable character, and that happened to be Villager himself.

Now with that said, I appreciate you taking the time to listen and I want you to keep in mind that. I do think everyone has the right to express their opinions. But I do not agree on your opinion unfortunately. But that does not mean I disregard your opinion. I am in fact glad to see what others have to say as well. So I want you to keep that in mind.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
While I would love him as an Assist Trophy, the moveset is so well thought out I can’t help but get behind the idea of him being playable. Kudos for that.
Why thank you, I appreciate your kind comment. I hope my thread is good enough for you to support, as I'll be making further updates for it.
And having more of people's support can always lead to more possibilities.
But again, thank you so much for the kind comment. I appreciate it a lot! :bee:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Putting them as assist trophy not only ruined their chances to become actual characters, but also made it difficult for them to gain a fanbase. Compared to if they were playable.
I would say making a character an Assist Trophy does the opposite of that. If anything, it proves the characters are aware of the character, and may give them more exposure for them to grow a fanbase. Even if not, some of the Assist Trophies have EXTREME fan support (e.g: Lyn, Takamaru, Isaac, Ashley, Skull Kid) or fewer but very dedicated supporters (e.g: Dillon, Sable, Ray, Phosphora). Just look at Little Mac as an example: he was always destined to become playable, he just took a while.

Why thank you, I appreciate your kind comment. I hope my thread is good enough for you to support, as I'll be making further updates for it.
And having more of people's support can always lead to more possibilities.
But again, thank you so much for the kind comment. I appreciate it a lot! :bee:
Hey, no problem, keep up the good work. It’s not easy to make a moveset good enough that will sway an opinion, so I’m sure you’ll do fine.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I actually got kind of really focused on Stanley the other night. almost made a support thread for him myself. but I already have my Qbby page to focus on. so kudos to you for making this.

My brief Stanley craze has passed now so while I'm not opposed to seeing him get in to smash bros and be a playable character. and also seeing him make a return to the Mario franchise. there are other retro characters I would rather see added over him.
I'd still be happy to see him be playable. but yeah. I'd rather see characters like Takamaru take the "retro spot"
He'd make a cool assist trophy though if he didn't get in.
Really wanting to play DK3 again now....

During my Stanely-Craze the other night I also drew this. so i guess I'll share it here (I can't get it to not be sideways...)

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I would say making a character an Assist Trophy does the opposite of that. If anything, it proves the characters are aware of the character, and may give them more exposure for them to grow a fanbase. Even if not, some of the Assist Trophies have EXTREME fan support (e.g: Lyn, Takamaru, Isaac, Ashley, Skull Kid) or fewer but very dedicated supporters (e.g: Dillon, Sable, Ray, Phosphora). Just look at Little Mac as an example: he was always destined to become playable, he just took a while.

Hey, no problem, keep up the good work. It’s not easy to make a moveset good enough that will sway an opinion, so I’m sure you’ll do fine.
It's funny you mention that, because I remember you mentioning Isaac, and turns out he got cut from the Assist Trophy roster along with a few other characters without being added as DLC or in the initial roster despite having quite a vocal fanbase who's been very open to the fact of him being playable in Super Smash Bros.4.

So really, it is a very case when it comes to assist trophies, in some instances you can argue that they bring a lot of relevance to a character, but in other cases. They can simply be scrapped and not be seen at all after they've been cut.

Like I mentioned of Isaac, Mr.Resetti etc. So really, there are both ends on the coin, it can be a good thing to be relevant in the assist trophy catagory, but that doesn't mean that they're guaranteed as characters in the game. Some are just forgotten afterwards. Unfortunately.
But yeah, I do hope that the retro characters don't end up the same way those assist trophies did. Because if that was the case, then they'd be in big trouble.

Why thank you, your words mean a lot to me. So I greatly appreciate that, I hope I can entertain you in any way possible and that my further posts will make you feel enlightened.

Last edited:

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I actually got kind of really focused on Stanley the other night. almost made a support thread for him myself. but I already have my Qbby page to focus on. so kudos to you for making this.

My brief Stanley craze has passed now so while I'm not opposed to seeing him get in to smash bros and be a playable character. and also seeing him make a return to the Mario franchise. there are other retro characters I would rather see added over him.
I'd still be happy to see him be playable. but yeah. I'd rather see characters like Takamaru take the "retro spot"
He'd make a cool assist trophy though if he didn't get in.
Really wanting to play DK3 again now....

During my Stanely-Craze the other night I also drew this. so i guess I'll share it here (I can't get it to not be sideways...)

That's pretty impressive, that you were making a support thread for Stanley. And I love your picture of him as well. It looks very nice. As for your comments I understand that people prefer some characters over certain others. but however that does not really mean you shouldn't exclude them as characters. But yeah, I appreciate your kind words. And I hope things goes the same for you and your thread as well.

As for the retro spot, there hasn't been any confirmation that there is only one retro character in each game, Usually Sakurai likes to surprise people by bringing in several unexpected characters, with Melee having 2-3 retro characters and Brawl having 2. With Super Smash Bros 4, you could argue that only Duck Hunt Dog was considered a retro character. But I kinda would argue that Little Mac was one as well, even though he's revitalized, I still consider him to be retro more then modern.

Either way, let us hope for the best for both retro characters in general as well as Qbby, although since Hal. Laboratories are working on this title, it is possible that Qbby could be included. Assuming Sakurai doesn't only focus on Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus, this time around. But who knows. Anything can happen with that guy honestly.

Also regarding the assist trophy arguement, I'd rather not repeat myself over and over, so I'll explain briefly how I feel regarding that... Since most characters have representation already in Super Smash Bros, I can see that work with having a separate character as an assist trophy within that franchise. But if it's a retro character without anyone from his/her franchise that is in a playable form I think it's a wasted potential character to use as an assist trophy rather than a playable one. Not to mention I prefer seeing retro characters playable rather than being assist trophies. But that's just me, either way.
Best of luck and let's cheer on each other and hope for the best.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty impressive, that you were making a support thread for Stanley. And I love your picture of him as well. It looks very nice. As for your comments I understand that people prefer some characters over certain others. but however that does not really mean you shouldn't exclude them as characters. But yeah, I appreciate your kind words. And I hope things goes the same for you and your thread as well.

As for the retro spot, there hasn't been any confirmation that there is only one retro character in each game, Usually Sakurai likes to surprise people by bringing in several unexpected characters, with Melee having 2-3 retro characters and Brawl having 2. With Super Smash Bros 4, you could argue that only Duck Hunt Dog was considered a retro character. But I kinda would argue that Little Mac was one as well, even though he's revitalized, I still consider him to be retro more then modern.

Either way, let us hope for the best for both retro characters in general as well as Qbby, although since Hal. Laboratories are working on this title, it is possible that Qbby could be included. Assuming Sakurai doesn't only focus on Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus, this time around. But who knows. Anything can happen with that guy honestly.

Also regarding the assist trophy arguement, I'd rather not repeat myself over and over, so I'll explain briefly how I feel regarding that... Since most characters have representation already in Super Smash Bros, I can see that work with having a separate character as an assist trophy within that franchise. But if it's a retro character without anyone from his/her franchise that is in a playable form I think it's a wasted potential character to use as an assist trophy rather than a playable one. Not to mention I prefer seeing retro characters playable rather than being assist trophies. But that's just me, either way.
Best of luck and let's cheer on each other and hope for the best.
You raise a good point Mr.J, whose really to say there's only going to be 1 "retro character" there really are not "spots" in the game. if Sakurai decides he wants them in, and that he can do them. he'll probably use them. Stanley is pretty obscure, but he is a noteworthy part of Nintendo's history. So let's hope for the best

As for Assist trophies. it is unfortunate when a character who could have repped their series/game doesn't get to be playable and it feels like they were instead "relegated to being an assist trophy" though sometimes the character themselves just fits better as an assist trophy. like I doubt many people are too upset they can't play as Devil or Excitebiker or Nintendog (ok, I'm sure there are people who do actually want to play as those characters, but you get my point) Stanley does have more to draw from for a moveset than someone like Excitebiker. plus as characters like Captain Falcon have shown. Sakurai can get creative and just make stuff up. so that shouldn't hurt Stanley's chances either.
That said. Would Stanley rep his own series? since technically his most prominent appearance was in Donkey Kong 3. he could potentially be viewed as a distant/obscure Mario/Donkey Kong series character. like Pauline. or he could be viewed as repping "Greenhouse" from the Game & Watch since that was sort of his actual debut. i guess that just comes down to personal opinion and either way shouldn't hurt his chances. I'm just kind of rambling now since part of me still really would like to see Stanley be playable and likes getting to discuss the character.

And yes, best of luck. Let's hope for the best for the characters we want

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
You raise a good point Mr.J, whose really to say there's only going to be 1 "retro character" there really are not "spots" in the game. if Sakurai decides he wants them in, and that he can do them. he'll probably use them. Stanley is pretty obscure, but he is a noteworthy part of Nintendo's history. So let's hope for the best

As for Assist trophies. it is unfortunate when a character who could have repped their series/game doesn't get to be playable and it feels like they were instead "relegated to being an assist trophy" though sometimes the character themselves just fits better as an assist trophy. like I doubt many people are too upset they can't play as Devil or Excitebiker or Nintendog (ok, I'm sure there are people who do actually want to play as those characters, but you get my point) Stanley does have more to draw from for a moveset than someone like Excitebiker. plus as characters like Captain Falcon have shown. Sakurai can get creative and just make stuff up. so that shouldn't hurt Stanley's chances either.
That said. Would Stanley rep his own series? since technically his most prominent appearance was in Donkey Kong 3. he could potentially be viewed as a distant/obscure Mario/Donkey Kong series character. like Pauline. or he could be viewed as repping "Greenhouse" from the Game & Watch since that was sort of his actual debut. i guess that just comes down to personal opinion and either way shouldn't hurt his chances. I'm just kind of rambling now since part of me still really would like to see Stanley be playable and likes getting to discuss the character.

And yes, best of luck. Let's hope for the best for the characters we want
I appreciate you agreeing with me on that point, just because there can be a spot for a retro character, doesn't mean there's only one avaliable, I mean most people thought only 1 Fire Emblem/Kid Icarus character would be added to Smash Bros 4 and look how that turned out? We got more than we bargained for. Not saying it's a bad thing that we got more, but I'm pretty sure people can agree that we did not expect getting more than the regular amount. Same goes for Mario in some instances, where they added more Mario characters as well as include old veterans like Dr.Mario back into Super Smash Bros. So in this instance I would say any number of retro characters is possible.

Indeed, although personally I see him more retro more than a Donkey Kong/Mario representative, since his game hasn't been revived for so long and he hasn't been really included in anything for those two franchises recently. He's more seen as an easter egg in Wario ware for whatever, reason. But yeah, last appearance he was playable was in NES REMIX, and that was among all other retro games included. So anything can be said about Stanley about this point.

Anyway, as for Pauline, you bring up a solid arguement, but the thing is Pauline hasn't been more relevant thanks to Odyssey, and because of that. I imagine Nintendo EAD including her in most Mario spin-offs because of that, I wouldn't be surprised if she was added in Mario Tennis Aces as well, I mean if I'm being honest, I'd rather take her than Pink Gold Peach and Metal Mario, having several of the same character just bugs me off to no end. I know it's to fill out the roster due to development time and cost etc... But really, if they're having problems with coming up with simple moves or abilities, just paint in another model and adjust it differently. Don't build it from ground up if it's that tedious.

But anyway, I'm going off-topic for too long.
Pauline has the same position as Stanley when it comes to Super Smash Bros, but I think since Sakurai likes his Mario characters, she has a possibility to make it in. But that really depends whether he actually played most of those recent games that included her in as well as any other character. Who knows though? He is a busy man after all.
I just hope for the best of my characters as well as any other character that's not from a franchise that's already overrepresented, like Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus for example.

Either way, with that said, thank you once again for the support and I hope the best of luck for you as well.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Also before I forget, if any of you wish to share any ideas, potential movesets of your own, pictures, etc. Be sure to do so in the following posts, and I'll be sure to include them on this thread as well. Since the more people support this thread.
The likely we have of more people joining and supporting Stanley for Super Smash Bros, any ideas, movesets, pictures etc are acceptable. As long as they following the guidelines with the website and don't actually break any of their rules.

So be sure to go all out, I'd be very happy to see what anyone of you have to share in this thread.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Could you put me on the list? Stanley needs the support since Donkey Kong 3 tends to get ignored because Mario isn't in the game.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Could you put me on the list? Stanley needs the support since Donkey Kong 3 tends to get ignored because Mario isn't in the game.
Why of course, I'd be happy to add more supporters of Stanley to the thread. And also, you do have a point on that. Since Mario is the face of Nintendo and video games in general, he tends to sell out copies more. But since Stanley doesn't have as many fans, he didn't sell as much. Compared to the other arcades, Stanley's game was the one that sold the least.

Probably because he didn't appeal to the wider audience and the fact that he's not Mario. Which is a shame, since I would argue Stanley offers more of a character/personality than Mario does. But people rather have Mario to be the main character solely for the reason that he's well-known and simplistic.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Add me as a supporter please.
Sure thing, I'll make sure to update a list of Stanley supporters by tomorrow hopefully, so I hope you can wait until then.
I would like to thank you for supporting Stanley, and I look forward to adding more to this page in the near future.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I thought he would appear in Wii U. I'd since backed off, but this thread gives me new hope. I fully support.

We need Original Donkey Kong to go along with him, too.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I thought he would appear in Wii U. I'd since backed off, but this thread gives me new hope. I fully support.

We need Original Donkey Kong to go along with him, too.
That's great, that you decided to change your mind of things. I appreciate you took the time to read what I had to share and the fact that you would change your mind because of it. That certainly makes me a lot happier to see there being some supporters left, still holding hope. But nevertheless,I'll make sure to include you on the list as well. And hopefully, you'll look forward to upcoming updates to this thread in the near future.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I'll support! Donkey Kong 3 is a very underrated game and Stanley would be a good addition to Smash
Why thank you, indeed it is and indeed it would.
Hopefully, he doesn't get ignored this time around, as he's been in the shadows for far too long. In fact I'd say he's been ignored for several generations now. So let's hope he makes it in this time.
Thanks again for the support and I'll make sure to include you to the list as well. Thanks again and remember to stay awesome.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I can't say I support this choice as I am not a fan of the DK Arcade games. I don't like how, say, DK Arcade got more attention in DKCR than DKC did practically. You'll also get some fierce competition from Pauline and Cranky Kong.

Regardless, I feel like this moveset by BKupa666 shouldn't go to waste. https://smashboards.com/threads/mak...thing-to-see-here.256788/page-14#post-9335937
Oh wow, this is quite an interesting moveset. Mind if I add it to my thread, or should I just leave it?
As for your reasoning, I can understand you not liking Arcade games which is fine. But then again the game was ported for the NES as well. So there's more to it than it just being an arcade game.

But yeah, as for competition, it all depends on where he's placed, if he's retro, then there's plenty of competition, if he's place with DK, then he's just got a few to worry about, but that leaves the final franchise, which is Mario and with Mario...It's hard to say, as Mario is mostly represented of modern characters and not really classic ones. But yeah, it's entirely possible he could make it in one way or the other.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I wasn't even talking about the larger representatives of Mario and DK like Captain Toad, Waluigi, K. Rool, and Dixie Kong. Pauline and Cranky Kong are specifically from DK Arcade.

I really doubt BKupa would say no, but he's the one who made the moveset. PM him on here or Discord.

Sir Ridley XII

Smash Cadet
That Dai Gyakushuu game looks very interesting. Stanley travelling into space (even before Mario), now he can spray some space pirates and Star Wolf members!

And wow, the background designs for the levels looked so ahead of its time.

sman3579

Smash Cadet
You know at first I didn’t know how I felt about Stanley the Bugman being a playable character, but thinking about it I wouldn’t mind him being playable. I think he could be a really fun and interesting character. He definitely isn’t my most wanted retro character, that would go to Excite Biker or Balloon Fighter, and of course I want the Ice Climbers to return. Although if the Biker and Balloon don’t make it as playable characters, I would be on board with Stanley being a retro rep.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't even talking about the larger representatives of Mario and DK like Captain Toad, Waluigi, K. Rool, and Dixie Kong. Pauline and Cranky Kong are specifically from DK Arcade.

I really doubt BKupa would say no, but he's the one who made the moveset. PM him on here or Discord.
Fair point, I'll do that. And also I see what you mean by that, I wouldn't say they're out of the loophole as they have appeared in other games than just the arcades. Pauline specifically has appeared in a lot of Mario VS Donkey Kong spin-offs, and as for Cranky. He's been playable in Tropical Freeze, so there's that. But yeah, I hope that it doesn't deminish Stanley's chances. As long as he's part of the retro newcomers, I think he should be fine.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
That Dai Gyakushuu game looks very interesting. Stanley travelling into space (even before Mario), now he can spray some space pirates and Star Wolf members!

And wow, the background designs for the levels looked so ahead of its time.
That is indeed true, and I do appreciate the suggestion you offered me.
So thanks for that. :)

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
You know at first I didn’t know how I felt about Stanley the Bugman being a playable character, but thinking about it I wouldn’t mind him being playable. I think he could be a really fun and interesting character. He definitely isn’t my most wanted retro character, that would go to Excite Biker or Balloon Fighter, and of course I want the Ice Climbers to return. Although if the Biker and Balloon don’t make it as playable characters, I would be on board with Stanley being a retro rep.
I appreciate the kind support, and yes I hope the best for your characters as well.
In fact I actually made a post on their Balloon Fighter's thread supporting him. So he's one of my choices as well.
But currently I would like Stanley more, but that does not mean. I don't want to see other retros, I would be quite the opposite. I'm all for them as well. So may the best retro win. And also, you've got my support as well.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Put me on that support list, please! I've never played Donkey Kong 3, but he does sound like an interesting character.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Still support Stan here!
That's great, I'll be sure to add you on the supporters list then. Good to see you back by the way.
It's been a while hasn't it?

Put me on that support list, please! I've never played Donkey Kong 3, but he does sound like an interesting character.
Sure thing, I'll be sure to add you as well.
And I appreciate your support, hopefully Stanley makes it in the end in Smash. He's been long overdue as a playable character. It'd be nice to see him finally return back in action for once.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
Phew, long time no see... It's been a while since I was in this thread. Now with Smash Ultimate finally being revealed. I can go back to supporting my characters. Now first things first. I would like to point out that, it is a shame that some of my wanted characters are already deconfirmed at such a short notice. However, I am still glad Stanley was not one of them.

Him being uptop on my list makes me happy to see. And well, things are a bit rough now since the character choices were given to veterans this time around. But nevertheless, I'm hoping for the best.
Stanley may be at a disadvantage for being a retro rep, that's long forgotten, but knowing how Sakurai plays his cards. He always loves to keep surprises, above anything else.
So, here's hoping one of them turns out to be Stanley again.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
This is not meant negative at all.
I think Stanley the Bugman would be a fantastic Assist Trophy. I really do.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
This is a bit off topic but...

In this particular art, Stanely looks like a younger/teenage Mario

Just add a cap and mustache. Maybe it's the nose, ears, eyes, overalls, shoes, hair color, but I can see it.

Like if you dialed back the lock 15-20 years on Mario, he'd look like this.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Just add a cap and mustache. Maybe it's the nose, ears, eyes, overalls, shoes, hair color, but I can see it.

Whoa, is this official art from Nintendo? It looks like the modern artstyle Mario's series has taken.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
This is not meant negative at all.
I think Stanley the Bugman would be a fantastic Assist Trophy. I really do.

While I have stated several times why I think it's a bad idea to include a retro character as an assist trophy, I am not going to end up repeating myself...
Let's just agree to disagree.

Whoa, is this official art from Nintendo? It looks like the modern artstyle Mario's series has taken.

Actually that's not official, that belongs to an artist on deviantart named Fryguy64, who's been creditted on the credits list.
He's pretty much known for redrawing old classic NES character in a more modernized design. You guys should definitely check out his channel if you are interested in seeing more forgotten Nintendo characters.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I always wondered who Stanley was when I saw his Melee trophy as a kid. Even wondering how he would work as a Smash fighter.

Mr.J

Smash Apprentice
I always wondered who Stanley was when I saw his Melee trophy as a kid. Even wondering how he would work as a Smash fighter.
Oh that's actually where my interest of him as a character started, from Melee. And yes I wondered that too, until I played his game. And then it was pretty simple to come up with a unique moveset based on his bugspray, plants and bugs. So it was quite enjoyable to come up with a moveset for him. Since he is one of the unique fighters out there that doesn't resolve on using his fists, guns or swords most of the time.

Top Bottom