• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 40-Man Roster Game

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Does Pokémon Trainer count as one fighter?

Anyways, here is my roaster

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: Midna, :ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultpikachu::249::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer:(has :ultgreninja::ultincineroar: and Decidueye in his crew), :ultinkling::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultisabelle::ultolimar::ultlucina::ultike::ultpit::ultgnw: Issac, :ultfalcon::ultness::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt::ultsonic: Knuckles and :ultmegaman:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
For this, I’ll just assume that this is an SSB sequel.
Starters: :ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultvillager::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultpit::ultsonic:Tidus:ultsora:
Secret Fighters: :ultluigi::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultganondorf::ultridley::ultchrom::ultfalcon::ultkingdedede:Bandana Waddle Dee:ultwario::ultness::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultisabelle::ultolimar:(:ultmythra::ultpyra:)DJ Octavio,:ulticeclimbers::ultmiifighters:

I’ll start this off by going with the perfect attendance crew as they are mandatory for the thread (to be honest, I can’t see Sakurai or Nintendo going through with cutting one of them as they are the perfect attendance crew).
Then, I’ll go into the biggest Nintendo franchises absent from the starting eight: Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and Xenoblade. For Fire Emblem, I’ll just have Marth for now as he is the main representative of the series in the context of SSB. Animal Crossing is an A list franchise, so both Villager and Isabelle stay (Villager and Isabelle made it in over Zelda and Ganon in Mario Kart 8, so there is merit to assume both are safe).
In terms of Xenoblade, I’ll have Shulk in for now, but I also like Mythra and Pyra.
The next thing I’ll go into are the major “side“ characters:
I could bend the rules and give Luigi his own series, so Rosalina can join, but I’m fine with having the Mario roster as Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser. I’ll just tack Wario on here as he’s really a de facto Mario character in the same way Yoshi is.
Diddy, Zelda, and Ganondorf are self-explanatory.
While Octoling is the frontrunner for another Splatoon character, I think that DJ Octavio could lend to an interesting moveset.
Kirby is more complicated because of the three fighter limit, but I think I have a good compromise. I have Bandana Waddle Dee join because he is a huge request, and I decided to keep Dedede as the SSB community loves him based on what I’ve seen in the SSF2 and Smash Remix community (he’s finally in remix :)).
Fire Emblem’s the second most complex one given its rotating cast and lack of a true mascot. Having an Awakening character feels logical given that it was the most influential one in the series. In spite of Robin’s uniqueness, I’m actually adding Chrom here as he was requested in both For and Ultimate. I won’t go into another fighter yet, but it would be justified for how large the cast is.
Pokemon is the most complex one because there’s a four character limit, and the one character that I want to add makes the roster hit the limit (Pokemon Trainer). More realistically, the three spots would go to Charizard, Lucario, and a promotional pick, but I’d rather jut have no newcomers if we’re cutting down Pokemon. I like Jigglypuff, and if Captain Falcon’s (i.e. the king of relevancy through SSB) being encouraged, why not keep all 12 fighters (Jigglypuff was low priority pre-Ultimate, but I honestly don’t care for Captain Falcon). For the other pokemon, I’ll just go with Mewtwo and Charizard as Mewtwo represents legendary pokemon, and I’m pretty sure that I’d be forced to add Charizard. Ideally, I’d just break the rules and add the Trainer and Jigglypuff.
Now, it’s time to go into the third parties. If I’m being honest, there’d probably be at least 5 or 6 third parties at this point, but I’ll follow the rules. I’ll keep Sonic as he was the most requested third party in Brawl. Pac-Man and one of Mega Man or Ryu would be the least biased option, but I’m letting my bias take the wheel here, so Sora and Tidus join.
The next thing to go over are characters heavily associated with SSB. The most notable ones are Captain Falcon, Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Ridley, and King K. Rool (Banjo too, but I’ve hit my third party limit). For now, I’ll just put in all 6 and see what else I want.
I’d like to mention Olimar and Mii fighters, who were not addressed yet, but because the Mii fighters are technically three fighters, I’ll just give the Mii fighter a new moveset based on the Wii Sports and Fit games.
With the exception of Meta Knight and my third party choices, this probably satisfies both the corporate side and the vocal SSB fans, so I’ll just think of what else I’d like to see. The things that I’d like to see the most are Icies, Mythra, and maybe another character from LoZ and Fire Emblem. For this case, I’ll add Ice Climbers and Pyra/Mythra, and Mr. Game & Watch will be removed. I’d like to Sheik and one of Robin or Byleth, but there would be huge backlash for removing Ridley and K. Rool, and I already removed Meta Knight.

For fun, this is what it would look like if this was the first game instead.
Starters: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultbyleth::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultvillager::ultisabelle::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultpacman::ultsonic:Tidus
Secret Fighters: :ultrosalina::ultdiddy:Ganon:ultlucina::ultkingdedede:Bandana Waddle Dee:ultwario::ultfox::ultness::ultmewtwo:Cinderace,:ultolimar:(:ultmythra::ultpyra:)DJ Octavio, Spring Man:ultpit:Isaac, Barista Dog:ultmiifighters:

Luigi will represent his own franchise, so Rosalina can join. I chose her as she is popular and is a more interesting choice than Toad, Bowser Jr., or Waluigi.
I dropped King K. Rool and Ridley as I wouldn’t have the knowledge of their popularity in this timeline.
Ganondorf becomes Ganon.
I assume that a promotional pokemon is going to be mandatory, and Cindarace is a placeholder more or less to reflect when I first made the roster, so Jigglypuff was replaced. I like Jigglypuff, but I find it hard to justify keeping it over Mewtwo in a scenario where SSB64 did not exist.
If Jigglypuff is getting dropped, I’m also dropping Captain Falcon as there are other retros that I’m more inclined to add.
I entertained the idea of a standalone Pokemon Trainer, but it makes more sense to have them use pokemon for battle.
Fire Emblem becomes tricky as Marth doesn’t have SSB to back him up. In this case, I’ll go with Byleth as Three Houses was the most relevant game when I made these rosters. As a complete guess, I’ll go with Lucina as my other fighter I think she’d only have to compete with Lyn in terms of popularity in this timeline, and Awakening was a more important game to the series than Blazing Sword (I prefer Blazing Sword though).
I kept Pyra and Mythra as they are because this was the most feasible thing outside of making Rex a solo fighter, and I think the transformation gimmick is cooler.
Pac-Man replaces Sora as I’m sure there would be pressure for me to add Pac-Man, but I’m still keeping Tidus as he’d be my most wanted third party.
While Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and LoZ have room for another fighter, I think that they’re represented well enough, and I’d like to give other series a chance. In this case, I added Isaac and Barista Dog as they seem interesting. I like Ice Climbers, but I don’t think that I’d come up with their gimmick. I didn’t know what to do with my last spot, so I just went with Spring Man as a filler pick more or less.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
I'm doing this under the assumption that this would be for an alt universe where Smash didn't already exist, yet everything else happened as normal.

Starters: Mario, Bowser, Peach, Pikachu, Lucario, Link, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Kirby, King Dedede, Samus, Ridley, Yoshi, Wario, Villager, Marth, Inkling, Olimar, Mr. Game & Watch

Unlockables: Luigi, Mewtwo, Greninja, Ganondorf, Midna & Wolf Link, King K. Rool, Meta Knight, Kamek, Robin, Lyn, Fox, Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, Captain Falcon, R.O.B., Duck Hunt Dog, Pac Man, Sonic, Mega Man

Not really in the mood for giving an essay of reasonings like I normally would for roster games, so here's a very simplified one instead.

Mario, Bowser, Peach, Luigi, Pikachu, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Samus, Ridley, Yoshi, Wario, Villager, Marth, Inkling: Outright mandatory for a 40 character roster if you want to actually represent Nintendo's biggest all-stars.

Lucario, Mewtwo, Greninja: Pokémon's a much more complicated franchise compared to others, so I focused on generation diversity and prominence over all else.

Mida & Wolf Link: Arguably the most popular and unique pick for Zelda outside of the Triforce Trio.

Kamek: While not quite a Nintendo all-star, he's honestly pretty close, plus the best fit for a character who's about buffing themselves and debuffing the opponents.

Robin: An Awakening character pretty much has to be the second FE character due to how important the game has been to the series, and Robin's the most unique out of the main three Awakening characters.

Lyn: Really popular within the FE fanbase, and imo one of the more unique options out of the mostly sword-wielding main characters.

Olimar, Fox, Little Mac: While not major franchises, I think they've earned a spot in a roster of this size.

Isaac, Shulk: Pretty much just two filler choices that made the most sense for the last two spots while staying within thread rules tbh.

Captain Falcon, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B. Duck Hunt Dog: The unpredictable characters.

Pac Man, Sonic, Mega Man: Third parties were mandatory, picked these three in particular due to A) being among the most important in gaming (obviously) and B) having the closest overall connection to Nintendo.

A special mention to Toad, who would have been on the roster if thread rules allowed Mario to have five characters.

Pski

Smash Cadet
I would personally do away with third parties entirely, make a smash game in the vein of melee all about the nintendo all-stars
BASE ROSTER: :ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultfox::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdiddy::ultpokemontrainer::ultrobinf::ultkingdedede::ultzelda::ultmiifighters:
UNLOCKABLE: :ultfalcon::ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultgreninja::ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultlittlemac::ultmewtwo::ultmetaknight::ultmarth::ultluigi::ultminmin:ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultridley::ultroy::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultwolf:

NOTES: some characters i would redesign a little bit
-DONKEY KONG- up and neutral special now replaced with blast barrel and barrel toss respectively
-GANONDORF - actually just takes most of his falcon clone moves and repaces them with byleths old moves (using his own trident in place of areadbahr and aymr)
-SAMUS - much faster overall movement and some way to change between ice beam, plasma beam, etc
-ROY - more decloned animations from marth
-LUCINA - now a marth palette swap like alph.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
40 man roster.png

Something like this. Decided against third parties for now.

Cheesing it by Luigi being his own series rep.
I think three Luigi's Mansion games under his belt should suffice for him to be his own series. I was umming and erring between him and Toad for which would be their own series and which would be the fourth Mario character.
Also whilst Puff is recommended, I can't. I just can't. There's so many better Pokemon options than Puff even in Gen 1 alone. Ditto was used as a compromise to allow Puff to appear briefly at least.

Other notes:
Chrom is actually Chrom AND Robin in a Pair Up style moveset, which was an important mechanic in Fire Emblem Awakening.
Think Ice Climbers meets Rosaluma. Robin is CPU controlled, but charges up magic attacks to fight with, whilst Chrom has to protect him. If Robin is KO'd, Chrom's recovery and range is greatly reduced. Where Chrom goes, Robin follows....but he's a lot slower so there's your strategy.

Ike is here because he's the most popular Fire Emblem character bar none. Chrom and Robin are the faces of modern Fire Emblem and the ones who saved the franchise from death. Marth just missed out(very controversial I know) because I wanted to include more obscure franchises and Ike and the pair up Awakening team felt more interesting to me than Marth has ever done. Sorry Marth.

Ditto can transform into several different Pokemon to allow more Pokemon representation whilst sticking to the rules.

Meowth is here because I love Team Rocket, and he can summon Arbok, Weezing and Wobbuffet to aid him for certain attacks.

Springman is here over Min Min. I have no real preference, he just seems like the more obvious pick despite what Sakurai did.

Pyra/Mythra(or Pyra and Rex, I couldn't pick) just missed out by a hair's bredth. If I could include two more it'd be them. Then Marth. Then like Dixie Kong.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Also whilst Puff is recommended, I can't. I just can't. There's so many better Pokemon options than Puff even in Gen 1 alone. Ditto was used as a compromise to allow Puff to appear briefly at least.
Keep in mind that I said Puff is not recommended, but strongly encouraged. We all know if one of the OG12 had to go, Puff's on the top of the list for sure

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Roster with 40 character slots but with more than 40 playable fighters. No third-party characters.

Green = Unlockable

Mario series
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach & Toad (team like Rosalina & Luma)
4. Bowser

Donkey Kong series
5. Donkey Kong
6. Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (team like Ice Climbers - Down B to switch between Kongs)

Zelda series
7. Link
8. Zelda
9. Ganon (NOT Ganondorf)

Fire Emblem series
10. Marth
11. Lyn

Kirby series
12. Kirby
13. King Dedede
14. Meta Knight

Pokemon series
15. Pikachu
16. Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle / Ivysaur / Charizard)
17. Mewtwo
18. Team Rocket (Meowth & Ekans team / Meowth & Koffing team - Down B to switch between Poison-type Pokemon)

Other Nintendo series
19. Mr. Game & Watch
20. Little Mac
21. Duck Hunt
22. R.O.B.
23. Takamaru
24. Samus
25. Pit
26. Captain N
27. Yoshi
28. Captain Falcon
29. Wario
30. Fox
31. Ness
32. Lip
33. Villager
34. Isaac
35. Pikmin & Olimar
36. Wii Fit Trainer
37. Shulk
38. Inkling
39. Spring Man
40. Mii Fighters (Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner)

HARBlNGER

Smash Apprentice
Do the Mii Fighters count as one slot with 3 in one or can I have have the 3 types and be counted individually on the roster?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
This seems fun. Weirdly enough I had an easier time dropping roster spots than I thought.

Starter:
:ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultfox::ultpikachu:
:ultfalcon::ultpeach::ultbowser::ulticeclimbers::ultzelda::ultpit::ultolimar::ultlittlemac:
:ultinkling::ultminmin + Takamaru + Mike Jones

Unlockables
:ultluigi::ultness::ultfalco::ultmarth::ultganondorf::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultmetaknight:
:ultwario::ultpokemontrainer::ultdiddy::ultkingdedede::ultrob::ultvillager::ultridley::ultkrool:
+ Mach Rider + Wonder Red + Akira&Legion + Tin Star

Alts - Like how Olimar can alt to Alph in Ultimate

Peach/Daisy
Marth/Lucina
Olimar/Alph

Dark Samus, Dark Pit, Dark Link - All costumes for respective fighter

Inkling/Pkmn Trainer/Villager have gender options like Ultimate

Had to sneak Tin Star in there. Regret nothing.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
DK
Mario
Samus
Kirby
Link
Yoshi
Pikachu
Fox
Captain Falcon
Luigi
Jigglypuff
Ness
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Banjo
Pichu
Ice Climbers
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Shulk
Dark Samus
Ridley
Bowser
Sonic
Pac Man
Lucas
Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont
Pit
Dark Pit
Palutena
Marth
Roy
Ike
Zelda
Ganondorf
Min Min
Pyra/Mirtha
Little Mac
Isabelle

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
DK
Mario
Samus
Kirby
Link
Yoshi
Pikachu
Fox
Captain Falcon
Luigi
Jigglypuff
Ness
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Banjo
Pichu
Ice Climbers
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Shulk
Dark Samus
Ridley
Bowser
Sonic
Pac Man
Lucas
Simon Belmont
Richter Belmont
Pit
Dark Pit
Palutena
Marth
Roy
Ike
Zelda
Ganondorf
Min Min
Pyra/Mirtha
Little Mac
Isabelle
You may want to edit your roster a bit. You missed one part of it as you have too many third parties in it.

4. Only a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3 3rd party characters are allowed. This is to keep the guessing game going. Because of 3rd parties being allowed, 4th parties are NOT allowed in anyway. So no Goku, Bugs Bunny, Shrek, etc.

Mine:
Starter:
1. Mario
2. DK
3. Diddy & Dixie
4. Yoshi
5. Link
6. Samus
7. Kirby
8. Fox
9. Pikachu
10. Captain Falcon
11. Pit
12. Olimar
13. Villager
14. Pit
15. Inkling
16. Min Min
17. Little Mac
18. ExciteBiker
19. Chibi-Robo
20. Mii

Unlockable:
1. Luigi
2. Ganondorf
3. Krystal
4. Mewtwo
5. Marth
6. Mr. Game and Watch
7. Ice Climbers
8. Shulk
9. Takamaru
10. Wario
11. Meta Knight
12. Bowser
13. Wii Fit Trainer
14. Tiki (FE)
15. Akira & Legion
16. Lip
17. Chorus Kids
18. R.O.B.
19. Sonic
20. Banjo-Kazooie

Oddball

Smash Lord
Base Roster
  1. Mario
  2. Link
  3. Donkey Kong
  4. Yoshi
  5. Wario
  6. Samus
  7. Captain Falcon
  8. Ness
  9. Pikachu
  10. Kirby
  11. Fox
  12. Inklings
  13. Ice Climbers
  14. Pit
  15. Villager
  16. Mike Jones
  17. Mr. Game and Watch
  18. Olimar
  19. Spring Man
  20. Mii Fighter

Unlockable
  1. Luigi
  2. Peach
  3. Bowser
  4. Zelda
  5. Ganon (the big blue pig, not Ganondorf)
  6. Mewtwo
  7. Falco
  8. King Dedede
  9. Little Mac
  10. Duck Hunt
  11. Marth
  12. Roy
  13. Meowth
  14. Mach Rider
  15. Ayumi Tachibana
  16. Captain N
  17. Pious Agustus