• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

CeLL

Smash Lord
So the blue Stadium worked for me the first time, but when I replaced some textures (including default Stadium), it just gives me normal Stadium (well, your C9 texture, anyway). I have not tried red Falcon alt.

noobird

Smash Journeyman
Follow the text file instructions in the download link to extract the vanilla root folder. After you've done that, copy all the replacement files into the root folder like normal. Then overwrite whatever files you want at this point. Finally, rebuild your ISO.

But after you've done this and you have a complete ISO with trophy files as textures, you should be able simply import new costumes over the trophy files (because they are now the correct [same] sizes).
Thanks, trying it now! I'm wondering how you got it to work so that pressing L gives an alternate skin - was hoping I could do this for the whole cast or something :). Also wondering if it's possible to give a character more than one alternate costume.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Words cannot express how awesome and professional version 3 of this pack is. I'm going through the menus and WOW. So many cool things in here I didn't notice. Too cool man, wow. Just wow....

Any plans for PAL Yoshi and Kirby? Their changes are huge... or is the whole cast planned just a matter of punching it out?

EMP Marth so cool....

Last edited:

Landry

Smash Ace
Awesome update Achilles. All of the extra alternate costume options are especially cool. You're doing great work, man!

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
This wouldn't be viable; if arbitrarily modified versions of the game can be played in tournament then it opens up a huge slippery slope: if the stages can be made more balanced, then why not the characters or the mechanics? Where does the line get drawn? How much are we allowed to diverge from the official versions of the game? There are also consistency issues; different tournaments really shouldn't be running different versions of the game; it only happens sometimes simply due to lack of available copies of 1.02 (and the NTSC version differences are very minor in most cases so it's not particularly concerning). Never mind all the possible mods (and versions of those mods) that could be run.

Do you think that an unofficial version of the game with modified gameplay ever stands a chance of getting into, for example, Evo? Unless it somehow becomes the standard version (which is extremely unlikely) then it's almost certainly not going to happen.

I would really like Melee to be better balanced and with more viable stages, but if they were to be added in then Melee could not really be considered the same game.
Just stages, that's the line. Project M exists so anyone who says a mod cant be uniformly implemented into tournaments is wrong. I think new stages would be great, and it would still be melee. Unlike Project M which is trying to mimic melee, the game would be the exact same, just with some more neutral or counterpick stages that aren't nutty. We are going on 15 years with this game, a "pro" version mod made for tournament would be very cool in my opinion.

And if anyone says play project m.....its just not the same. I really respect the game but the physics aren't as tight or something, and I do believe the newer characters aren't as deep. Its a work in progress though.

XxGUNZxX

Smash Apprentice
3.0 is awesome in so many different ways! I must say stellar job as well as thank you!

As far as future ambitions for the project: I think a debug option to toggle on Sd remix characters would be amazing! (I believe this was touched on before but i dont remember what the conclusion was).

Sd remix was a cool mod that didnt become nearly as popular as it deserved because it was a little difficult to set up. 20XX is far more popular and i think incorporating sd remix would be great for both projects.

Having a whole cast of viable characters would make the game much more diverse, change/advance the meta, and add so much to the game with so many different matchups. Who knows, maybe in the future when everyone is playing the 20XX hack, it could be the main version played in tourneys.

This could be the real melee 2.0 that everyone has been longing for.

Last edited:

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
I am also not able to use red falcon alt, and blue pokestad doesn't work either.

Loading from a usb, everything else so far works fine.

DiREKT

Smash Rookie
Game keeps on freezing after a few minutes of play

Using Dios Mios Lite

Using an 8GB SD Card

Noticed it freezes after input codes during gameplay and at the Title Screen while idle

Should I just use an older version?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Game keeps on freezing after a few minutes of play

Using Dios Mios Lite

Using an 8GB SD Card

Noticed it freezes after input codes during gameplay and at the Title Screen while idle

Should I just use an older version?
Something is not right. I would try remaking the ISO, and make sure your original ISO is 1.02. Those things shouldn't be happening though...

Cloud7z

Smash Cadet
And no, there is not a way to save debug toggles without a memory card. The only way you could change the defaults would be to manually hex edit the DOL file. But idk if you're interesting in only changing the defaults.
How would I go about doing that? I know how to do basic dol mods if that helps.

Acryte

Smash Ace
I'm playing on a hardmodded wii with a burned disc and it runs great. Everything works as advertised.

Doser

Smash Ace
Loving the update overall, thanks for your hard work.

By the way, my PS without transformations is still green instead of blue. Not a big deal at all I was just wondering if anyone else is noticing that.

quiKsilverItaly

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for this beautiful pack. Even PAL characters can be used, this is so good. I won't use anything else!

Wolfeh123

Smash Rookie
Whenever I leave the debug menu it crashes.

Playing on Dolphin if it matters.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Whenever I leave the debug menu it crashes.

Playing on Dolphin if it matters.
Sounds like you need to remake the iso. Your DOL file seems to be messed up or something. Are you using a memory card?

Isn't the red Falcon alt file just misnamed? I remember this from a few pages back.
It's PlCaRe.dat. I fixed it when I was first notified that it was incorrect.

Words cannot express how awesome and professional version 3 of this pack is. I'm going through the menus and WOW. So many cool things in here I didn't notice. Too cool man, wow. Just wow....

Any plans for PAL Yoshi and Kirby? Their changes are huge... or is the whole cast planned just a matter of punching it out?

EMP Marth so cool....
Hey, thanks man! PAL Yoshi and Kirby....uhhh idk. Maybe. Does anyone play those characters???? @Anutim 's textures are super top tier.

@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 i keep getting the message "&&systemdata folder is not found" when its clearly there.
what should i doo
Hmm that's odd. Have you tried re-extracting the root folder again? I've never got that message before.

How would I go about doing that? I know how to do basic dol mods if that helps.
I'll try and get around to posting my notes as to where these debug menu defaults are in the DOL. If you want to figure them out yourself, play Melee in Debug Dolphin, and go to the memory addresses around 0x3fa3d8. Change debug toggles and then look back at the memory addresses in Debug Dolphin and you will see what changes. 0x3fa3d8 in the RAM is 0x37a3d8 in the DOL. Make the corresponding change in the DOL that happens in the RAM.

I can't play pal versions of characters
when I press R nothing happens
Have you still not gotten it to work? Just select fox then hit R. If thats not working, then...idk...something must be wrong with your ISO, I'd assume.

Thanks, trying it now! I'm wondering how you got it to work so that pressing L gives an alternate skin - was hoping I could do this for the whole cast or something :). Also wondering if it's possible to give a character more than one alternate costume.
It's just some ASM code to switch the filename while at the CSS, based on what costume the cursor is currently on...for the specific player that hit the button activator. When L is hit on a certain character/costume, a flag value for the alternate costume is toggled on. These flag values are monitored every frame while on the CSS. When the flag value is ON and the character is chosen/highlighted, the CSP color will change and the file name will change (because it is checking every frame). It's nothing mindblowing, just a little involved, especially when there's a lot of costumes to deal with.

I have the alt costumes code grouped with other CSS codes and it totals like 1300 lines long atm.

I couldn't. : /
And I'm booting from USB with DIOS MIOS booter r30.
Dios Mios version is 2.10.

They are playing on Wii.
I think Japanese also can play 20XX 3.0 if you would contain not only Start.dol but also other files in "&&SystemData".
In short, AppLoader.ldr, Game.toc and ISO.hdr for converting Japanese version to USA version by ourselves.
Could you upload them with 20XX package?

IE said, Japanese version and USA version are almost the same.
the different points are that there is "usa.ini" (empty file, 0 byte) in root folder and files in "&&SystemData".
So if we have other "&&SystemData" files of USA version, Japanese can convert our version.
USA Stuff.zip. The DOL file in this download is old. Make sure you replace it.

Last edited:
My experiment from the day!

Need to add two baby hitboxes on the bottom left and right (maybe), a frame speed mod to make it a little faster, and then also make it jump cancellable. It'll be the "shine" Falcon deserves!

@Stratocaster , @ Doq Doq , @sdremix_troubleshooter
SOOO BEAUTIFUL, Wave knee splosion shine, so captain falcon. what move is replaced my this fire flash? down B, neutral B?

Acryte

Smash Ace
Hey, thanks man! PAL Yoshi and Kirby....uhhh idk. Maybe. Does anyone play those characters????
They play them a lot more in PAL because their weights are much better and Kirby is faster on the ground etc. Both characters get huge buffs in PAL vs NTSC.

Last edited:

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
Just wanna report something
Hitting a human controlled Training Partner causes the training partner to become CPU controlled until I quit training / re-enter.
I was about to test some PAL stuff then I noticed this CPU behavior, reason I was testing because this list seems to be more detailed than the changes you mentioned/sourced from. I'm not sure which one is more accurate though.

Silent Rush

Smash Rookie
Hey achilles I had a suggestion. Is there anyway you could put a password field onto the main page of the debug menu. Have it be like a 4 character code that once the value matches the set password in memory(memory card save id assume) then options in the debug menu could be changed. Maybe it would be possible to still view the settings that are set without entering the password. This would be amazing for tournaments that want to use stage striking and the additional stages that would be good for singles/doubles. And at the same time it would eliminate/cut back on the chances of someone going in and changing a setting such as decreasing or increasing the l cancel window before their match.

Also thank you so much for this mod its SOOO great!

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Hey achilles I had a suggestion. Is there anyway you could put a password field onto the main page of the debug menu. Have it be like a 4 character code that once the value matches the set password in memory(memory card save id assume) then options in the debug menu could be changed. Maybe it would be possible to still view the settings that are set without entering the password. This would be amazing for tournaments that want to use stage striking and the additional stages that would be good for singles/doubles. And at the same time it would eliminate/cut back on the chances of someone going in and changing a setting such as decreasing or increasing the l cancel window before their match.

Also thank you so much for this mod its SOOO great!
Password probably isn't necessary but I agree. I'm more in favor of a "Tournament Mode" toggle similar to NBA Jam's.

Tityboi

Smash Cadet
Is hitlag an action state? I'm curious because I want to know how or if I should account for it in the frame counter thing when practicing aerials.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

noobird

Smash Journeyman
It's just some ASM code to switch the filename while at the CSS, based on what costume the cursor is currently on...for the specific player that hit the button activator. When L is hit on a certain character/costume, a flag value for the alternate costume is toggled on. These flag values are monitored every frame while on the CSS. When the flag value is ON and the character is chosen/highlighted, the CSP color will change and the file name will change (because it is checking every frame). It's nothing mindblowing, just a little involved, especially when there's a lot of costumes to deal with.

I have the alt costumes code grouped with other CSS codes and it totals like 1300 lines long atm.

Dam, so basically I'd just have to sit down and figure this out for like a day. Thanks for the reply!

Top Bottom