• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I don't know if anyone else has this issue but some of the font in my game has been "garbled up". This shows up for anyone on the CSS with a period or space in their name (this has been an issue for me in previous versions as well)
This problem has been around for awhile now. Click, and look at pic. Idk why...it is annoying, but not annoying enough to warrant a huge investigation at the moment I guess.

I've encountered zero issues so far. This build is incredible, thanks for all your hard work! (For those having issues, I'm booting using Dios Mios Lite and booting from SD Card)
So can you use the Red Falcon alt and Blue Pokemon Stadium?

@ Cyjorg Cyjorg , any idea why some people can't switch between .usd and .dat files?
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 , thank you for updating 3.0.
User-friendly debug menu, added alternate costumes, Awesome work!

I have a question, bug reports, and a suggestion.

## Question
・addresses in Start.dol of All toggles' default setting(ON/OFF) are changed?

・my smasher friends said 3.0 will crash when it loads a stage.
their iso is Japanese version but the language setting is English and 1.02.
They seemed that they could enjoyed 20XX 2.07.
Do you have something about reason?
From 3.0, Japanese version have to be converted game ID to GALE01 ?

## Bug reports
・(L+R+D-Pad Right) P2 Hitbox Freeze Repeater
Sometimes I couldn't make this toggle off.
P2 completely freeze.

・No Transformation PS is green texture in game
As Goxplex said.

・Stock Dependent Revival Platform Colors
When 2 players who have different stocks die, platform colors will depend on later death.

## Suggestions
・"Automatic L-cancel setting for each players" or "CPU always L-canceling"

Because I really want CPU to L-cancel.
And if this is possible, this toggle is good for beginners of melee, I think.
I'm not sure why that is happening to your friends. I am unsure what would be different for the Japanese version, but the Game ID shouldn't be the problem. Are they playing it on Dolphin or Wii?

I think I have had the freeze repeater stay frozen for me forever once before. So I just had to quit the game. Not sure why. If you feel like trying to figure out exactly when it happens, then I could maybe find the source to the problem.

- Trying to figure out the PS Transformation issue -
Are you booting from USB or SD card and what loader are you using to do so?

Platforms Colors -> this can't be fixed at the moment. I would need to find a new injection point for the code. I have known about this though.

I think this automatic L cancel suggestion is a good one. I didn't think about making it player specific (and then maybe just a 5th option for the CPU). This would be a fun code to write.
PAL Marth causes the game to freeze (music still plays) after selecting a stage.

Also, I'm running this from USB Loader without a memory card. Is there a way to save debug options?
As others have been stating, I don't think there should be a problem with PAL Marth. I would try remaking your ISO.

And no, there is not a way to save debug toggles without a memory card. The only way you could change the defaults would be to manually hex edit the DOL file. But idk if you're interesting in only changing the defaults.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Im using the same iso loading method as Elen and I have also had 0 problems, red falcon alt and blue PS both work fine

awoh

Smash Rookie
Whenever I try to play with the new alt costumes the game fails to load a stage. It just sits on a black screen. I'm running on dolphin btw. Does anyone else have this problem?

edit: Nevermind I have received advice on reddit.

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know if tournaments in the future might use added stages such as the ones in the 20XX pack. I think it would be a cool way to breath new life into Melee (not that it needs it right now) if the stage list could include more options. It might even make less relavent characters more viable if they had stages that benifited them more. The current legal stages certainly do not cover all the platform options or configurations that are possible.

Life

Smash Hero
Anyone know if tournaments in the future might use added stages such as the ones in the 20XX pack. I think it would be a cool way to breath new life into Melee (not that it needs it right now) if the stage list could include more options. It might even make less relavent characters more viable if they had stages that benifited them more. The current legal stages certainly do not cover all the platform options or configurations that are possible.
The problem with this is it's hard to expect all Melee setups to have the hack, which means it's not likely until at least the memcard version of the hack comes out to make it possible to run 20XX on a 'cube.

Project M pulled it off, granted, but the circumstances are different there.

tl;dr maybe eventually, not soon.

Last edited:

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
I updated to 3.0 after not updating in a few versions. I love it so far! You've come so far Achilles. This is outstanding.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
The problem with this is it's hard to expect all Melee setups to have the hack, which means it's not likely until at least the memcard version of the hack comes out to make it possible to run 20XX on a 'cube.

Project M pulled it off, granted, but the circumstances are different there.

tl;dr maybe eventually, not soon.
Seems as likely as pm. There will be more Wii's than cubes out there soon, if there aren't already. I know it wouldn't be soon but I would be interested if this would be supported. The only way I would like to see melee modded for tournaments would be more legal stages, it could only improve gameplay

Doq

Smash Lord
Gonna confirm for everyone that everything works fine for me.
4.3U Wii with HBC running the latest build of Nintendont.

link's airdash is beautiful

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Just a thought, since we can change the color of FD with the debug menu, is it a possibility to adjust colors of other things with it? (coughcoughshinecoughcough)

That would be amazing, though not really useful lol

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Bug: Whenever you delete a name, if the name directly above it is more than 6 characters, it cuts off the last 1 or 2 characters. Really annoying when you are trying to make a bunch of tags and have leftover garbage ones.

Last edited:

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Hey achilles. Nice stuff. Just a suggestion if you're looking for something. Maybe if it's possible you could change the way you toggle things in the debug menu. Like change the left and right controls to just pressing A like the rest of the navigation in the menu. It would make the menu flow a lot better IMO. Anyway, sick update.

bleepbleep

Smash Rookie
My game freezes every time I try to use one of the in-game commands. Any idea how to fix this problem?

You're using AR codes with the 20xx version of melee. I just fixed mine by unchecking the only one i had on there which is global melee netplay settings. took a little while to figure out.

Trichael Man

Smash Rookie
I don't think this is working properly

(R+D-Pad Left) P2 [Spacie] Offensive Shine Pressure
They don't L-Cancel properly (they flash red). Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
This problem has been around for awhile now. Click, and look at pic. Idk why...it is annoying, but not annoying enough to warrant a huge investigation at the moment I guess.

@ Cyjorg Cyjorg , any idea why some people can't switch between .usd and .dat files?

I'm not sure why that is happening to your friends. I am unsure what would be different for the Japanese version, but the Game ID shouldn't be the problem. Are they playing it on Dolphin or Wii?

I think I have had the freeze repeater stay frozen for me forever once before. So I just had to quit the game. Not sure why. If you feel like trying to figure out exactly when it happens, then I could maybe find the source to the problem.

Platforms Colors -> this can't be fixed at the moment. I would need to find a new injection point for the code. I have known about this though.

I think this automatic L cancel suggestion is a good one. I didn't think about making it player specific (and then maybe just a 5th option for the CPU). This would be a fun code to write.

As others have been stating, I don't think there should be a problem with PAL Marth. I would try remaking your ISO.

And no, there is not a way to save debug toggles without a memory card. The only way you could change the defaults would be to manually hex edit the DOL file. But idk if you're interesting in only changing the defaults.
I have no idea why especially since it works for you. I'll look into it whenever I get a chance.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I don't think this is working properly

(R+D-Pad Left) P2 [Spacie] Offensive Shine Pressure
They don't L-Cancel properly (they flash red). Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
They are l-canceling. When you toggle that one on, it forces (0.5*normal aerial landing lag) into their landing lag address. So they are essentially l-canceling, just not in a conventional manner. I didn't want to program in pressing L/R at the right time, so I did it this way. This gets the job done, but is not a good way to do so...I know so much more now...

Kou

Smash Apprentice

I couldn't. : /
And I'm booting from USB with DIOS MIOS booter r30.
Dios Mios version is 2.10.

They are playing on Wii.
I think Japanese also can play 20XX 3.0 if you would contain not only Start.dol but also other files in "&&SystemData".
In short, AppLoader.ldr, Game.toc and ISO.hdr for converting Japanese version to USA version by ourselves.
Could you upload them with 20XX package?

IE said, Japanese version and USA version are almost the same.
the different points are that there is "usa.ini" (empty file, 0 byte) in root folder and files in "&&SystemData".
So if we have other "&&SystemData" files of USA version, Japanese can convert our version.

Last edited:

noobird

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to replace a few of the alternate costumes using gc-rebuilder but when I try to import another texture I get the error "file to import is too large" :(

Jessen Sloan

Smash Rookie
I would like to edit which buttons do what moves; I want to ONLY shield and L cancel with L, and tech and Airdodge with R. I can't find the file in Melee to edit with my Melee toolkit program, does anyone know which file I need to edit, or if it's even possible?

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
I had an idea. Could it be possible to add icons instead of letters on tags? Like countries flags. It would be hype

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
This wouldn't be viable; if arbitrarily modified versions of the game can be played in tournament then it opens up a huge slippery slope: if the stages can be made more balanced, then why not the characters or the mechanics? Where does the line get drawn? How much are we allowed to diverge from the official versions of the game? There are also consistency issues; different tournaments really shouldn't be running different versions of the game; it only happens sometimes simply due to lack of available copies of 1.02 (and the NTSC version differences are very minor in most cases so it's not particularly concerning). Never mind all the possible mods (and versions of those mods) that could be run.

Do you think that an unofficial version of the game with modified gameplay ever stands a chance of getting into, for example, Evo? Unless it somehow becomes the standard version (which is extremely unlikely) then it's almost certainly not going to happen.

I would really like Melee to be better balanced and with more viable stages, but if they were to be added in then Melee could not really be considered the same game.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I get carried away messing around with random memory addresses at times. It's so fun, though!

804d7ff4 - change from 80000000 to 0 and players (human only?) will freeze location after leaving revival platform - can still perform attacks and stuff just go nowhere.
I was reading through one of the Stratocaster's Hitbox Project threads, and saw someone complaining that the hitboxes of the aerials were stretched up because they were done while falling. Could this be used to remedy that?

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if someone is working on that infographic could you make it more printer friendly? i.e. Not a dark background?

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
I was reading through one of the Stratocaster's Hitbox Project threads, and saw someone complaining that the hitboxes of the aerials were stretched up because they were done while falling. Could this be used to remedy that?
I already know how to fix that by making gravity zero. The problem is more I spent a ton of hours on that project and have since tried not to get sucked into doing it all over because I didn't do everything perfectly the first time. I have other things I want to do with my time...

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I already know how to fix that by making gravity zero. The problem is more I spent a ton of hours on that project and have since tried not to get sucked into doing it all over because I didn't do everything perfectly the first time. I have other things I want to do with my time...
130 aerial gifs plus various aerial specials is a lot. Wow, I never realized that there were 130 aerials in the game before.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I'm trying to replace a few of the alternate costumes using gc-rebuilder but when I try to import another texture I get the error "file to import is too large" :(
Follow the text file instructions in the download link to extract the vanilla root folder. After you've done that, copy all the replacement files into the root folder like normal. Then overwrite whatever files you want at this point. Finally, rebuild your ISO.

But after you've done this and you have a complete ISO with trophy files as textures, you should be able simply import new costumes over the trophy files (because they are now the correct [same] sizes).
I would like to edit which buttons do what moves; I want to ONLY shield and L cancel with L, and tech and Airdodge with R. I can't find the file in Melee to edit with my Melee toolkit program, does anyone know which file I need to edit, or if it's even possible?
That would be much more complicated than you think. You would need to find injection points in the game relating to performing action states when a button is pressed, and then figuring out if there is a way to determine what button was pressed (if there are multiple options) to execute this code line. Then you would have to write ASM code to enable/disable the action to perform. Even more research would need to be done for making L not tech, or to have completely new functions for buttons, which no one has done before. And then a bunch more code if you wanted all this previous stuff to only work for a certain player number. Long story short, this would be very complicated.

Top Bottom