• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

whims

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I tried rrenaming it to just game. No luck.
ok, so it looks like you're doing everything right, so i'm gonna be asking a lot of dumb questions. 1) have u tried moving everything to a usb and loading from there? 2) is nintendont working correctly? u may want to try another game to see if it's just 20xx not working 3) check nintendont's settings for anything weird 4) u could try it on usb loader gx or cfg usb loader, if even the usb + nintendont doesn't work. i think u have to do some magic with cIOS for that tho. 5) what size is your sd? i've heard some aren't compatible

edit: is that boot.elf file in the root of the sd part of nintendont?

how do i get it to work on usb loader gx?
google it, and it should show up. just put it on the usb in the directory [drive letter]:\[drive name]\games\[folder named anything u want] and name it game (make sure it's in .iso format). put the usb loader gx download onto the root of the sd, and the only thing u may have to do after that is install a couple custom IOSes. there are several guides that walk u thru it, and it's super easy.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Sorry i just made a smash boards account and i have no idea how this whole thread thing works but im having a problem, i tried getting 4.05 and ended up deleting all my files even my nintendont (long story...) but i got nintendont back (which took like two days because i am bad with this stuff) and i also got 20XX 4.05 but everytime i try to launch it, it never loads my tv screen just stays black do you know how to fix this?
How did you make your 4.05 ISO? Does a vanilla Melee ISO work on your setup?
Any particular reason for removing "SDR" Sheik? Achilles1515 Achilles1515
Because SDR Zelda can turn into vanilla Sheik, and I venture to guess that having this power is something that SDR Zelda was designed around. So I didn't want to mess with that, and SDRtroubleshooter made a comment similar to this and I understood where he was coming from.
I believe the only inert hitboxes in the game are Falcon and Ganon's raptor boost, and Peach Bomber. Used to detect an opponents hurtbox to initiate the attack phase. If a projectile intersects with the inert hitbox, it will not hit the owners hurtbox even if intersecting. But if the projectile hits only the owners hurtbox, it will still hit.

Have some pics about it here

edit: double checked and it is only for the inert hitbox owner, if another player is touched by the projectile when in the inert hitbox, they will still be hit.
Alright. I'm not going to make that a priority right now, but it would be interesting to look into.
Hello friends.

So I've got BootMii, Homebrew, Nintendont, and 20XX 4.05. For some reason, the damn thing isn't appearing in Nintendont.

The 20XX 4.05 iso plays fine in Dolphin, so I know it isn't an iso issue.

Here is a screenshot of my SD card: https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=13f05bfa79fafec71d7a23d7b8c701ac&oe=56F7C6D0 (tried having a friend on Facebook help me)

Here is a screenshot of where my 20XX iso is (and that I've changed the name to "game.iso": https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=aa47f953327e38840144af6a9bdbd1e6&oe=56F7C77D

Although the card was already formatted to FAT32, I've reformatted it again (for good measure) and made sure the allocation unit size was 32kb.

I've checked the lock switch on the SD card and have tried it both unlocked and lock (locked first after formatting it, then unlocked).

halp
Is Nintendont trying to look for a USB instead of an SD card? Maybe something is wrong with your folder name like having a space or period or something (simply try "20XX" or something)? Idk...I don't use Nintendont.
can you explain what the different CPU modes are?
there's obvious one's like evade and guard edge.... but normalish? freak?

there needs to be more documentation for this ABSOLUTELY REVOLUTIONARY patch!
https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee/Master_Debug_Menu#CPUTYPE_SET

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
ok, so it looks like you're doing everything right, so i'm gonna be asking a lot of dumb questions. 1) have u tried moving everything to a usb and loading from there? 2) is nintendont working correctly? u may want to try another game to see if it's just 20xx not working 3) check nintendont's settings for anything weird 4) u could try it on usb loader gx or cfg usb loader, if even the usb + nintendont doesn't work. i think u have to do some magic with cIOS for that tho. 5) what size is your sd? i've heard some aren't compatible

google it, and it should show up. just put it on the usb in the directory [drive letter]:\[drive name]\games\[folder named anything u want] and name it game (make sure it's in .iso format). put the usb loader gx download onto the root of the sd, and the only thing u may have to do after that is install a couple custom IOSes. there are several guides that walk u thru it, and it's super easy.
Haven't tried it through a USB yet, but I'll give it a shot. I'll also be trying another ISO, more than likely a vanilla Melee ISO that was given to me from a friend that has been verified to work. Nintendont itself works fine. Settings are all normal. The SD card everything runs off of is an 8gb SDHC. The boot.elf file is on the root of the SD card, as shown in the SS I provided.

II'll try grabbing a USB tonight and see if I can run it off that. How would I setup the files on the USB so it Nintendont can read them? Would I have to do anything with the SD card?

tbird99

Smash Apprentice

I usually use gcreex to make the folder but it wont work with this iso

EDIT: It says this when I use the normal iso too:
It is not allowed to resell, rehost, redistribute
or include this file in any packages!

Last edited:

whims

Smash Apprentice
Haven't tried it through a USB yet, but I'll give it a shot. I'll also be trying another ISO, more than likely a vanilla Melee ISO that was given to me from a friend that has been verified to work. Nintendont itself works fine. Settings are all normal. The SD card everything runs off of is an 8gb SDHC. The boot.elf file is on the root of the SD card, as shown in the SS I provided.

II'll try grabbing a USB tonight and see if I can run it off that. How would I setup the files on the USB so it Nintendont can read them? Would I have to do anything with the SD card?
same setup as the sd. and yeah, since the sd has nintendont's files, you would have to have it in the wii as well

also, i was asking whether or not the boot.elf file (i saw it in the screenshot which is why i was asking) was a part of the nintendont download

Last edited:

whims

Smash Apprentice
I usually use gcreex to make the folder but it wont work with this iso

EDIT: It says this when I use the normal iso too:
i'm not sure what you mean. could you give screenshots or a more detailed explanation?

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
i'm not sure what you mean. could you give screenshots or a more detailed explanation?
i have a folder with the iso, gcreex, and a file called msvcr100.dll. I right click on this folder, open command window, and type "gcreex.exe x- (name of iso file)." This worked on my other computer with windows vista and gave me a folder called GALEXX that when i put in my games folder on my USB worked with USB loader gx but on my computer with windows 10, it says:

GCReEx v 0.3 by crediar
Built: 03:18:54 Jul 8 2012

.Ðempt

Certified Ponch
Is Nintendont trying to look for a USB instead of an SD card? Maybe something is wrong with your folder name like having a space or period or something (simply try "20XX" or something)? Idk...I don't use Nintendont.
Nah, Nintendont works fine. The folder name isn't appearing though either so that very well could be it. Even though the same folder name appeared in a tutorial posted so I doubt it.
same setup as the sd. and yeah, since the sd has nintendont's files, you would have to have it in the wii as well

also, i was asking whether or not the boot.elf file (i saw it in the screenshot which is why i was asking) was a part of the nintendont download
Ah gotcha. The boot.elf file was for Bootmii. It's useless now so I could get rid of it honestly.

Last edited:

whims

Smash Apprentice
i have a folder with the iso, gcreex, and a file called msvcr100.dll. I right click on this folder, open command window, and type "gcreex.exe x- (name of iso file)." This worked on my other computer with windows vista and gave me a folder called GALEXX that when i put in my games folder on my USB worked with USB loader gx but on my computer with windows 10, it says:

GCReEx v 0.3 by crediar
Built: 03:18:54 Jul 8 2012
so what does that prevent u from doing? usually software include disclaimers like that

Bladeshard

Smash Rookie
Do custom stage textures not work with 4.05? Or is there more to it than dragging them into the root folder? The game starts up just fine but none of the custom stages I downloaded actually change the stage textures.

桃姫 - Momoki

Smash Rookie
So, I've finally decided to stop lurking in the shadows and create an account. First of all, many thanks to Achilles for this awesome patch. However, I'm having some trouble installing this patch. When I drag the vanilla file to the .bat file, a message saying "The has checking utility was not found installed on your system". Am I missing something here? Although it gives me the option to build the 20XX 4.05 file and ignore this message, when I run this file on dolphin, the emulator treats it as being the Vanilla file, no changes whatsoever. Sorry for being this stupid, as windows seems to be the most straightforward method to build a file for this patch, but I really don't know what I'm stuffing up.

whims

Smash Apprentice
So, I've finally decided to stop lurking in the shadows and create an account. First of all, many thanks to Achilles for this awesome patch. However, I'm having some trouble installing this patch. When I drag the vanilla file to the .bat file, a message saying "The has checking utility was not found installed on your system". Am I missing something here? Although it gives me the option to build the 20XX 4.05 file and ignore this message, when I run this file on dolphin, the emulator treats it as being the Vanilla file, no changes whatsoever. Sorry for being this stupid, as windows seems to be the most straightforward method to build a file for this patch, but I really don't know what I'm stuffing up.
have u tried building the .iso from the root files, rather than patching it from a vanilla .iso?

also, iirc the .iso to patch must be vanilla version 1.02, so u might want to check that

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
so what does that prevent u from doing? usually software include disclaimers like that
It keeps me from creating a file from the ISO that can be read by a Wii. However I used discEx which actually did work and was much easier and I installed nintendont and 4.05 runs perfectly now

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
More suggestions:
Have the CPU utilize all walk speeds
and Wait!

Waiting will give it more of the human feel - maybe more than you think :)

Have it randomly want to go to the platforms. It dosn't seem like the current CPU wants to do that

Last edited:

whims

Smash Apprentice
It keeps me from creating a file from the ISO that can be read by a Wii. However I used discEx which actually did work and was much easier and I installed nintendont and 4.05 runs perfectly now
awesome. sorry i wasn't able to help but glad u got it working

桃姫 - Momoki

Smash Rookie
have u tried building the .iso from the root files, rather than patching it from a vanilla .iso?

also, iirc the .iso to patch must be vanilla version 1.02, so u might want to check that
So, I just downloaded the Root files and made a new .iso from there, it worked perfectly. Thanks heaps mate!

Last edited:

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
Achilles1515 Achilles1515 It would be nice, if you could turn the insane CPU off. Sometimes i just want to practice my combos and not have to spend all of my effort getting the grab. It also seems like for some reason, that even if I've chosen random DI, falcon will continuously DI sheik's ftilt up.
Achilles answered the first part of your question earlier in the thread, and I referenced that answer it about 4 posts above yours asking this question.

However, as mentioned above, you can change the CPU type under general settings for a desired controller port, but you can also set the shield affinity of the CPUs in general. At 100, any time you present a hitbox anywhere near them, they shield, even to the point where their shield is rendered useless (since they don't angle it you'll always poke once a high shield affinity cpu shields long enough) even to the point where it'll break. You still have to work for the grabs a little in that case, so maybe setting the CPU type to something else is your best bet if you just want to run in, grab, and practice combos that way.

With regards to falcon always DI-ing sheik's ftilt up, are you comfortable with the reworked debug mode commands at all? You should be able to definitively view the DI input as well as the trajectory change as a result of it by looking at the floating point information (X+right on the dpad until you get to the port number of the cpu you want to look at, 1 for a cpu using player 1's port, and so on), and configuring it via L+(left or right) to select a floating point pair and changing two of them (via L+ up or down) to 'DI TRAJECTORY ANGLE CHANGE' and 'DIRECTIONAL INPUT - THIS FRAME' or previous frame, I'm not sure which at this point actually. If Falcon is always DI-ing up those values should read the same every time. I might do this at some point and post but it's a definitive method and you could use it if you wanted to.

---
I was having the same issue on debian linux. For linux and mac the bash file/script file ending in .sh had windows return characters "\r". Basically that causes issues. I guess the file was made on a windows machine and the editor just added them in. Even after removing them the script did not work. I just did it manually. You already checked the MD5 sum so make sure you have xdelta3 installed and run the following command changing the appropriate parts at the end:

xdelta3 -f -d -s ssbm_1.02.iso 20XX\ 4.05\ xdelta\ patch.xdelta 20XX.iso

ssbm_1.02.iso is your vanillia iso and 20XX.iso will be the output file name. Also you have to put backslashes in 20XX 4.05 xdelta patch.xdelta. This worked for me.

Hopefully the script will be updated and fixed soon.
I'm on OSX & also have had this problem, the newline issue you saw (in vim I just used set fileformat=unix and then re-wrote the file), as well as an issue with the use of the command md5sum which is not a stock Mac application (though installing openssl command line utilities will give you md5 which can calculate sums of files), and assumes the output of md5sum when it pipes its output to cut.

---
can you explain what the different CPU modes are?
there's obvious one's like evade and guard edge.... but normalish? freak?

there needs to be more documentation for this ABSOLUTELY REVOLUTIONARY patch!
I do agree that there needs to be more documentation (especially an FAQ due to how many people are asking variants of this question) of not just this patch but of 20XX and melee debugging in general. However, other than the NORMAL ai, most (maybe all, but I don't have a debug menu for vanilla melee open to double check the AI types) of the other AI types are the same as in vanilla 1.02 melee (accessible via the debug menu), so discussions of the different AI types can be found in notes people have made of the melee debug mode on various wikis, or on smashboards threads relating to melee, or more recently on reddit threads asking similar questions relating to 4.05. The 'obvious' ones have the same names as the training mode cpu modes, but some relate to AIs used in event matches, like the bomb pulling link ai, and the bomb dropping samus ai. Others are used during classic like the annoying ai which runs away from you all the time, or the cooperative ai.
But the long and short of what I'm saying is, there really isn't a good place, to my knowledge, where the individual cpu type behaviors are collectively documented at this time, but there should be.

EDIT: they are, lol, and achilles posted about it before

---
I don't think you're being stupid at all. Is this the message you're seeing? Or is it different
The hash checking utility (CertUtil) was not found installed on your system.
You can still skip the hash check and force the build anyway, if you'd like,
by pressing any key. (Or click the window's close button to cancel.)
the bat file should be creating a new 20XX iso (named "20XX 4.05.iso") in the directory it's run from (which it has to be run from to access xdelta3-x86_64-3.0.10.exe unless you have that installed somewhere in one of your computer's paths). is "this file" that you're referring to that new 20XX iso? When you have the ISO created by the bat file in dolphin, what's the md5 if you go to it's properties? To get that, open dolphin, right click 20XX in dolphin's game list, click properties, in the properties window click the 'Info' tab, at the bottom of the 'ISO Details' pane there should be an empty text field which says 'MD5 Checksum' with a button that says 'compute' next to it. Hit Compute, a popup will display with a progress bar and will close with the result being stored in the previously empty text box; the result should be "51a29ae081ef69e6d9856d22e42777c5". If it's "0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174" for some reason your ISO wasn't patched at all (that's vanilla 1.02). If it's anything else, if you got an error, or if that text box doesn't exist in your version of dolphin, please post either the non-matching md5 hash, or the error you saw. For completeness, and if your dolphin doesn't throw an error when calculating md5 checksums in the above method, make sure your personal archival copy of 1.02 (*cough* your legally obtained iso *cough*) has the md5 checksum of "0e63d4223b01d9aba596259dc155a174". If it has any other checksum you might have a 1.00 or 1.01 iso which can be confirmed either by comparing md5 hashes, or that the revision field of the info tab of the iso properties would be anything other than 2, but if it weren't 1.02, it might also might be a cause of your problems.

EDIT: ignore, you got it working
---

Last edited:

Link_enfant

Smash Apprentice
How do the debug menu music settings work exactly? I'm kinda lost with all the playlist modes, like "playlist, vanilla (good), custom". Maybe there's a guide about this anywhere?

Vegerot

Smash Apprentice
I'm not able to enable hitboxes for just me. Whenever I input x+UP, everybody's hitboxes are enabled, not just mine. Same thing for y+UP (which is supposed to happen).

Doser

Smash Ace
What is the button combo (if it is implemented yet) to start a vs. match by yourself?

It used to be d-pad up, but that doesn't appear to work anymore in 4.05.

Thanks for all the work you've put into this. Can't wait for cpu actions in the 4.X line.

Dat Aint Falco

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'd like to start of by thanking you for all the great work you've put into this. I'd just like to bring a few bugs I've encountered to your attention if you haven't already discovered them.

On the stage select screen, when I go to the single player menu certain stages don't load correctly. Custom Platforms Battlefield loads Brinstar depths, No Lava Brinstar loads regular Brinstar with lava, and the version of Hyrule Temple where the majority of the map is removed, it just loads regular Hyrule temple. These stages work fine in version 3.02.

3 new custom battlefield stages were introduced I assume to replace the one I mentioned earlier but I figured I'd still bring it to your attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLpQHh1xIGE

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I'd like to start of by thanking you for all the great work you've put into this. I'd just like to bring a few bugs I've encountered to your attention if you haven't already discovered them.

On the stage select screen, when I go to the single player menu certain stages don't load correctly. Custom Platforms Battlefield loads Brinstar depths, No Lava Brinstar loads regular Brinstar with lava, and the version of Hyrule Temple where the majority of the map is removed, it just loads regular Hyrule temple. These stages work fine in version 3.02.

3 new custom battlefield stages were introduced I assume to replace the one I mentioned earlier but I figured I'd still bring it to your attention.
This has happened for me too (and has been brought up in the thread before for previous versions of 20XX 4), the single-player stages pane still uses a lot of the 3.02 hacked stages overlay (with certain differences), even though many of the stages have either been moved (to hacked stages) or are no longer modified.

whims

Smash Apprentice
I'm not able to enable hitboxes for just me. Whenever I input x+UP, everybody's hitboxes are enabled, not just mine. Same thing for y+UP (which is supposed to happen).
try again. the input for me is x-dpad right, and the input for all is y-dpad right. dunno why it wouldn't be working

greyin leijon

Smash Rookie
where are all of the custom textures? There are more custom skins in 4.0 and i was wondering where you kept them or what they are named?

whims

Smash Apprentice
where are all of the custom textures? There are more custom skins in 4.0 and i was wondering where you kept them or what they are named?
in game, they are activated by pressing l or r while a character is selected. in the root files, they're named Pl****.dat, Pl****.rat, and Pl****.lat, the asterisks being character specific. dat is neutral, rat is on the r trigger, and lat is on the l trigger.

edit, ignore since u found them

Last edited:

Onen

Smash Rookie
What is the button combo (if it is implemented yet) to start a vs. match by yourself?

It used to be d-pad up, but that doesn't appear to work anymore in 4.05.

Thanks for all the work you've put into this. Can't wait for cpu actions in the 4.X line.
I'm pretty sure it's just pressing Start for a couple of seconds.

whims

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure it's just pressing Start for a couple of seconds.
u have to set the match to something other than stock (it may be exclusively time but i'm not sure) and then hold start on the css

Lykon

Smash Cadet

Some of the custom stages havent returned since 3.02
that, and also some of the training codes

Greeni

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I just downloaded v4.05 after playing with v3.02 for a while. Is there a list somewhere where all the changes and debug options are listed? There's a lot of stuff I don't understand, and I don't feel like reading through 40+ pages.

And thanks for this awesome patch, I really appreciate all the work, great stuff :) (btw, creating the iso and getting everything running always works fine for me and only takes a couple of minutes, thanks for making it that easy)

leavingmirror

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-9604-4326
xdelta method:

Instructions for building the ISO in Windows, Linux, and Mac are included in the download.

Remember to please specify which build you're using if submitting a bug. And the more detailed steps you can provide for reproducing it, the better.

I would say Achilles' most recent guide.
Is it possible to put this on a memory card for a physical copy of melee?

GhostBandicoot

Smash Rookie
Let me know if I shouldn't post this here but I found a small bug in v. 4.05--in the character select screen, when switching from a palette swapped (with L button) Peach (the original color to white iirc) and then moving and clicking to play yoshi instead, but then deciding to switch back to peach, and deciding to switch colors, as I tried to change colors with x and y, it changed from the peach image in the selected character rectangle at the bottom, to yoshi! And I couldn't figure out how to get it back to normal, so, in fear of it saving the game that way (i lack knowledge of how that all works tbh), I exited out via closing the window of the game. Reloading it, it was back to normal. Unfortunately I can't remember if I palette swapped yoshi or even switched his regular colors, I can't remember but again iirc, i didn't switch with the L button and maybe with x and y.

On a completely different note, not that I expect tit for tat/quid pro quo or anything, and again let me know if I shouldn't be posting this here but I have a troubleshooting question I really gotta ask-I can't load textures into the game. I've used 20XX version 2 and version 4.05 and neither are letting me load in textures that I've downloaded (I mean full character palette swaps). I've tried both GCrebuilder and Melee toolkit. No luck with anything. I've followed every guide and still, nuthin! I can't figure it out and its kinda totally aggravating! So yeah, halp plz if you know what the issue might be! I also haven't switched the file names, ie saving the exported file I kept the name the same, and same with the imported file.

Last edited:
Top Bottom