• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Thank you very much!

I didn't know the CPU's did that. Now I feel stupid.
I'm going to bounce back and forth practicing on both, because I've played people who always tech and I want to be ready for that.
I have a huge problem tech chasing. I think I just have really slow reaction times. When I have been tech chasing the spacies in 20XX, they almost always shine before I grab them. The shine doesn't even hit me, that's how slow I am.
EDIT: I grab them after they shine. If it were an opponent, they could just spot dodge.
practice. your reaction times have to do with how accustomed to a situation you are. the more practice you have doing it, the faster you'll be able to react. here's a good little exercise to start improving your tech chasing:

stand next to a fox and grab him. have him do a tech-roll. note the position where he stops. note where you were standing too. now practice just running from where you started and boost grabbing the fox (i'm assuming youre playing sheik, if you are playing a different character, practice whatever their optimal tech-chase on tech-roll is). practice this on a STANDING fox, at one tech-roll distance away. once you have that motion down, do it "faster". optimize the chase. get your grab (or stomp or whatever) as quickly as possible.

then practice it in an actual tech-chase scenario.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
New Addition to the Pack

20XX 2.07-4 Neutral Start.dol

Debug Menu Toggle

NEUTRAL ST:
1 = OFF
2 = ON [default, if you're not using a memory card]
3+= 1

If you haven't been following the Neutral Spawn Location Discussion, click here for details.

Also, idk if anyone noticed this but I had actually changed the "Giga Bowser" announcer voice to "Fighting Wireframes" instead of the MasterHand voice like I wanted. So choosing one of the Wireframes OR Giga Bowser would give you the"Fighting Wireframes" voice. This has been fixed.

I plan to discuss more later and answer some questions and stuff. I need to spend quality time with my girlfriend though, but I'll answer stuff when I can.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
practice. your reaction times have to do with how accustomed to a situation you are. the more practice you have doing it, the faster you'll be able to react. here's a good little exercise to start improving your tech chasing:

stand next to a fox and grab him. have him do a tech-roll. note the position where he stops. note where you were standing too. now practice just running from where you started and boost grabbing the fox (i'm assuming youre playing sheik, if you are playing a different character, practice whatever their optimal tech-chase on tech-roll is). practice this on a STANDING fox, at one tech-roll distance away. once you have that motion down, do it "faster". optimize the chase. get your grab (or stomp or whatever) as quickly as possible.

then practice it in an actual tech-chase scenario.
It would be easier if I was Sheik. I am doing it with Marth, so it shouldn't be too hard. Marth is pretty good at tech chasing, right? Also, would you say his wavedash is his optimal tech chase ability? It's what I use to cover if they tech behind and I already entered RUN from DASH.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
It would be easier if I was Sheik. I am doing it with Marth, so it shouldn't be too hard. Marth is pretty good at tech chasing, right? Also, would you say his wavedash is his optimal tech chase ability? It's what I use to cover if they tech behind and I already entered RUN from DASH.
i have no idea. but i can summon our resident marth god @Kadano to tell you things

edit: also i think tech-chasing is probably strictly worse than chain-grabbing, which you should be doing on spacies instead. but tech-chasing is useful against falcon/dk...probably

Last edited:

JoeTango

It Takes Two
I've occurred a glitch where toggling hit bubbles on Dreamland just makes the character invisible. Just wanted to see if it is just me or anyone else has this problem

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I've occurred a glitch where toggling hit bubbles on Dreamland just makes the character invisible. Just wanted to see if it is just me or anyone else has this problem
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...2-action-toggles.351221/page-31#post-17077743

By "happening on Dream Land as well", I meant the collision bubbles just being messed up in general.

Much agreed. I need to as well.
Don't we all. There's just never enough time...

JoeTango

It Takes Two
Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Huh thats interesting. Side note is there a way to show the hitbubbles while also showing the character model like this?
Overlayed on the character? Yeah, just hit the toggle button twice.
btw @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 i know you are not sure what exactly to work on next, so here are some fairly simple requests that i think would be useful for a variety of training scenarios (ordered from simplest to most complicated):

- updated infographic
- falco with variable SHL timings
- better tech-chasing (spacies work great, but falcon almost always techs in place).
- turn a % display into the number of frames p1 was on the ledge before dropping (many different ledgestalls/ledge tricks require dropping from the ledge on the first possible frame, its often VERY difficult to tell how off you are)
- better uthrow-uair practice (the fox misses the uair a decent amount of the time, especially if you DI)
- an easier to use move spammer code. for instance, i would love to be able to "save" that the move i was spamming is utilt (maybe through the debug menu), so that i can just have a button combination to get p2 to spam utilt. trying to get the move spammer to register an utilt can be difficult, and has to be done everytime i restart (since i often crash the pack using savestates). alternatively, i think the "fsmash spammer" could easily be adapted for something like this.

as always, i appreciate the work youre doing, and would love to support this project however i could (donations, getting you equipment, etc). also i LOVED reading that writeup of how the newest code works (as someone who frequently reads exploits + security papers, its so fun to see those same things being applied to my other passion...MERRRLERRRR)

<3
Thanks for posting your suggestions! I REALLY like the idea of the percent display showing frames (and I know you've mentioned this in the thread earlier).

I just did a quick check on this. Action State Reference 0xFC - CliffCatch - cannot be acted out of (always seven frames?). 0xFD - CliffWait - can be acted out of.

So then the code is simple, really.

if player action state = 0xFD, copy action state frame counter into player percent display. The only tricky part is that the frame count is a 32-bit floating point number and the onscreen percent is a 16-bit integer hex value. So I'd need to convert it, and there should be an ASM instruction to do so. If my brain remembers correctly, Magus used it in his frame speed modifier code.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Hello. First and foremost, I would like to thank you for this hack. It is incredible in so many ways, an amazing piece of art. I am very grateful for something like this to have been created. It's the reason I signed up to this site.

I also want to thank Scar and Toph for making me aware of it during a MIOM stream where it was featured.

But I came here with a question. Is there a way to make computer L-cancel every attack of theirs? I don't think that's a feature and I have no idea if it's feasible, however I wanted to bring it up as it would help practice against normal computers a whole lot. Thanks.
Oh yes, it's feasible. And actually, I was going to implement this when I redo the P2 CPU stuff. I might just roughly add it in soon though, because it would be easy.

L-cancelling works like this:

Each player has a byte of information (ranges from 00 to FF) that is linked to L/R button presses. As soon as you press L/R, this byte is given a value of 0. And every frame after, it increments this by one until you press L/R again.

When you land with an aerial, it loads this byte from above, and compares it to 7. If the L/R player byte is greater than 7, the game branches to code that gives the regular landing lag. If not greater than, it executes the code to cut the landing lag in half (see the fdivs [divide] instruction in the picture below).

And there's no "dead window" for L canceling, you can spam L/R all you want to cancel.

Capture.PNG

So all I would need to do is add in code at 0x8008d690 to say,

Instead of immediately loading the L/R byte, check if this is a CPU it's doing this for, and if so, load 0 [anything lower than 7] into register 5 and skip loading the CPU L/R byte altogether. If it's not a CPU, load the regular L/R byte. Or even just skip loading a value in there altogether and branch straight down to the no l-cancel section.

Alternatively, I could just write 0 to P2 CPU's L/R byte every frame of the game.

EDIT:
side note: and if I changed the instruction at 0x8008d69c from "bge- r5,r0" to "nop" (do nothing), then every aerial for every player would be l-cancelled because it would just continue down into the l-cancel section with no compare. Or you could change the instruction at 0x8008d694 to "li r0, 0xYY" where YY could be any integer you want to change the l-cancel window to.

li r0,0xYY is saying "load immediate a value of YY into register 0".

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Alternatively, I could just write 0 to P2 CPU's L/R byte every frame of the game.
Is this L/R byte checked for anything else? Like, if you set it to zero, is it going to be interpreted as a command to shield? Or is it a secondary flag.

Edit: Further question, what is it in the code that prevents you setting the L/R byte twice, like say, I press the L/R button on frame x-10 (10 frames before hitting the ground) and then again at x-5. I've never actually tried to do that, but I presumed that like teching, it was locked after the first press, your description makes me think that maybe it isn't?

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Is this L/R byte checked for anything else? Like, if you set it to zero, is it going to be interpreted as a command to shield? Or is it a secondary flag.
It's just a flag, no action will occur. The only other thing it would be used for [to my knowledge] is for the dead window for teching. But I believe that one is a separate byte, located in an adjacent memory address.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I wonder if changing the l-cancel window to 3 or 4 frames would be good to practice with. I mean, if you got used to that, then having 7 frames (~twice as long of a window) should be a cakewalk.

Last edited:

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Overlayed on the character? Yeah, just hit the toggle button twice.

Thanks for posting your suggestions! I REALLY like the idea of the percent display showing frames (and I know you've mentioned this in the thread earlier).

I just did a quick check on this. Action State Reference 0xFC - CliffCatch - cannot be acted out of (always seven frames?). 0xFD - CliffWait - can be acted out of.

So then the code is simple, really.

if player action state = 0xFD, copy action state frame counter into player percent display. The only tricky part is that the frame count is a 32-bit floating point number and the onscreen percent is a 16-bit integer hex value. So I'd need to convert it, and there should be an ASM instruction to do so. If my brain remembers correctly, Magus used it in his frame speed modifier code.

decided to take a crack at writing it.
so yeah rough code would be:

lwz fpr1, frame_count_addr ;load framecount into FPR 1
fctiw fpr2, fpr1 ;convert to 32bit int
stfs fpr2, buffer_addr ;store the converted value in memory
lhz gpr1, buffer_addr ; load the converted value into GPR 1
sth gpr1, player_percent_display_addr ; load the converted value over the % display

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Wow Link has a shortened cliffcatch? That would be useful if he were a better character... or fun.
I've got a neat idea, but forgive me if it's impossible to code.
To let the player know when they do a perfect wavedash, could you code them to take 1% damage every time an airdodge is performed and doesn't land within "X" frames? No knockback, just 1% damage.
This would be a ping to the player practicing, letting them know if they successfully performed a "perfect" wavedash or not.

Also, been getting a bug where if I knee Fox's NEARLY frame perfectly as low as possible (meaning I missed it by about 1 frame), while he is programmed to grab after taking shield damage, jabbing results in him power shielding and then grabbing me. It's strange because if I perform the low knee as low as possible and then jab, I hit him, and if I do it 1 frame slower, I jab him. It's just that one specific spot he will power shield me. Not sure what causes it. Could grab some photos if you want, but I'm not sure it's necessary, since it's a pretty small and specific bug.

EDIT: Also, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS HACK! Thanks to you I had the perfect environment to nail consistency on shield pressure and jab followups, which will help my game enormously. I've also been able to work on tech chasing and dropping every Falcon aerial into jab upon shield (yes, even Dair!). Thank you so much man, and if you ever ask for donations you've got my back.

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I'm absolutely LOVING the color changing FD. Is there any way you could make it do the whole stage instead of just the top portion? Also, a color changing Battle Field would be ultra sexi.

Over my dad body

Smash Rookie
I've been using and updating this amazing hack pack on dolphin and USB loaded on my Wii via DIOS MIOS. However, i'll often encounter freezes when USB loading during instances where dolphin gives me no trouble-- namely single player modes like training mode and stadium.
I'll try to give as much information as possible:
-Freeze when saving a state in training mode
-Freeze after arbitrary amount of time in stadium event
-Freeze SOMETIMES when training mode dummy is attacked
-Only affects single player modes (versus mode works perfectly with no hiccups)
-Does NOT happen while playing on dolphin
-I run GCReEX.exe to extract the iso to the "games" folder on my USB
-Other USB loaded games work flawlessly
Does everyone experience these issues? Might there be a way for me to address them? I'd really appreciate some help as this has frustrated me since 2.07 first launched.

Also, i'd like to report a bug (not sure if it's been noticed yet).
When messing around with teams and dual 1v1, cycling though red/green/blue and human/cpu/none on certain player ports, the aspect ratio would change from 16:9 to 4:3 (stretched). I was using the widescreen debug toggle on a widescreen tv.

Thanks Achilles and anyone else involved for this amazing tool!

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I've been using and updating this amazing hack pack on dolphin and USB loaded on my Wii via DIOS MIOS. However, i'll often encounter freezes when USB loading during instances where dolphin gives me no trouble-- namely single player modes like training mode and stadium.
I'll try to give as much information as possible:
-Freeze when saving a state in training mode
-Freeze after arbitrary amount of time in stadium event
-Freeze SOMETIMES when training mode dummy is attacked
-Only affects single player modes (versus mode works perfectly with no hiccups)
-Does NOT happen while playing on dolphin
-I run GCReEX.exe to extract the iso to the "games" folder on my USB
-Other USB loaded games work flawlessly
Does everyone experience these issues? Might there be a way for me to address them? I'd really appreciate some help as this has frustrated me since 2.07 first launched.

Also, i'd like to report a bug (not sure if it's been noticed yet).
When messing around with teams and dual 1v1, cycling though red/green/blue and human/cpu/none on certain player ports, the aspect ratio would change from 16:9 to 4:3 (stretched). I was using the widescreen debug toggle on a widescreen tv.

Thanks Achilles and anyone else involved for this amazing tool!
Try downloading this new DOL file and replace the one on your current ISO. It should fix most of your issues (save states in training mode, and freezing in timed matches).

New features since the release of 2.07 include:

- Blackscreen Bug Fix for Endless Friendlies, so it should work without freezing now
-Forced neutral start
- Vs screen announcer now says "Fighting Wire Frames" when you select them
- [CPU Marth] Spam special F-Smash for edgetech practicing
- Lowercase letters and more nametag characters

Over my dad body

Smash Rookie
Did you just link to the DOL at the top of this page? I actually updated to this one a few hours ago hoping it would fix the problems i've been having but the same issues persisted. That's when I decided to ask on this thread.
EDIT: I've actually been keeping up to date with each new iteration of 2.07

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Did you just link to the DOL at the top of this page? I actually updated to this one a few hours ago hoping it would fix the problems i've been having but the same issues persisted. That's when I decided to ask on this thread.
EDIT: I've actually been keeping up to date with each new iteration of 2.07
So even the newest one still freezes when saving a state in Training mode? Is this happening for anyone else? I thought I specifically fixed this problem in an earlier version. And I retested it on my Wii and it worked.

Last edited:

Over my dad body

Smash Rookie
It could just be some error i've been making during installation, but I don't know how likely that is. I followed beanwolf's guide carefully and I doubt any issue caused by such an error would be so specific.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
@ hectohertz hectohertz

Here it is! Right now it is just injected at the same line as the COLORS code, for testing purposes. It's not a complete code because if any other characters are on the edge then it will count that as well. But the main functionality is there.

P1 Percent Displays Number of Frames in CliffWait (hanging on edge - can be acted out of)

ASM:
lwz r14,0x70(r24)
cmpwi r14,0xFD
bne- END
lis r15,0x8045
lfs f14,0x448(r24)
fctiw f14,f14
stfd f14,0x30e0(r15)
lhz r16,0x30e6(r15)
sth r16,0x30e0(r15)
END:
lfd f31,112(r1)

Gecko Code:
C206B810 00000006
81D80070 2C0E00FD
4082001C 3DE08045
C1D80448 FDC0701C
D9CF30E0 A20F30E6
B20F30E0 CBE10070
60000000 00000000

0x4530e0 [16-bit] is location for P1 onscreen percent.

EDIT: oh, and at that memory address, r24 already holds the start of a player's data offset. I think this injection point is within the animation engine or something, because I believe it gets hits x amount of time per frame, where x is how many players are active. And so the first time [in a frame] this line gets hit, P1's data offset start is in r24. Second time, P2's data offset is in r24. Etc.

0% is the absolute fastest you can get off the edge.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
So my friends aren't exactly Melee pros, and tend not to tech my Shine if they're playing a character that it knocks down. Personally I suck at jab resetting like this and just in general. Would it be possible to make teching an option in the debug menu? So if you turned it off, the AI would hit the ground while tumbling and then randomly roll/getup/attack as soon as possible. Or perhaps just change it so the AI sometimes misses techs in general (it does sometimes already, but very rarely, at least for me). At the moment I'm kind of caught off guard when someone doesn't tech something.

Also I'm confused on how the action spam feature works.

This is kind of off topic, but how would one go about making an ISO with only the widescreen hack? And permanent, not through the debug menu.

Just want to say that this is amazing. Great job.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Also I'm confused on how the action spam feature works.
The button + joystick combination that P1 is pressing the moment the P2 color tint wears off (3 seconds of color tint), will be copied to P2's input and spammed by P2. C-Stick is NOT copied, though - only buttons and joystick info. So to have Peach spam Dsmash, hit L+R+DPad Up and then hit down(all the way)+a and just hold it there, until the tint wears off and she will be spamming down smash.

It can be a human or CPU, but I would just make it a CPU because when you eventually turn it off (L+R+D-Pad Down), they will be reverted to a CPU.

If you need to put them in a specific location, get them to spam the move you want and then turn invincibility on and nudge them into place. Alternatively, save state when they are in the spot you want, then have them spam a move and then load state. They'll keep spamming the move and will move location.

I'll respond to more later.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
What would be some other good uses for frame counting? I guess it would be nice for most of the COLORS action states.
other things off the top of my head:
how many frames of airborne you have before you do an aerial (for aerials OOS)
how many frames of neutral stand you were in after a throw (for grab -> whatever combos)
how many frames you were in shine before you entered a jump cancel
how many frames you were in jumpsquat before you interrupted it with something (to get down perfect JC things)

specifically for ledgedashing:
how many frames you are rising before you enter the airdodge
how many frames are you falling before you enter the jump

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Alright so I don't know if this is where I should post this question, but when I reformat my USB flash drive or SD card with diskpart.exe from the command window, my computer no longer recognizes the external drive. It reads it as a Microsoft Click-to-Run Q: Drive that I cannot access. Is there a way to fix this?

A-On

Smash Rookie
Achilles, I have this problem that's popped up recently where the screen ratio is wrong and I can't fix it with the widescreen setting in the debug menu. The only changes that I can think of that might have caused this is the fact that I've recently added more iso's to my Dios Mios flash drive, and I've updated up to 2.07. Do you have any idea what's causing the problem?

Some pics showing what it looks like:

Last edited:

Heckran

Smash Rookie
This might have been brought up before, but I think it'd be cool/useful if the 4 different Pokemon Stadium transformations were options in the alternative/hacked stage list. Though, as far as I know, the 4 transformations haven't been isolated and made into their own stage by anyone.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Achilles, I have this problem that's popped up recently where the screen ratio is wrong and I can't fix it with the widescreen setting in the debug menu. The only changes that I can think of that might have caused this is the fact that I've recently added more iso's to my Dios Mios flash drive, and I've updated up to 2.07. Do you have any idea what's causing the problem?

Some pics showing what it looks like:

See if this post helps you.

This might have been brought up before, but I think it'd be cool/useful if the 4 different Pokemon Stadium transformations were options in the alternative/hacked stage list. Though, as far as I know, the 4 transformations haven't been isolated and made into their own stage by anyone.
I agree. I was thinking of this before, but idk how to do it at the moment. I'd probably have to reverse engineering the Gecko code by Zauron that disables transformations (disables the timer or something) and see if I can find the code that reads the timer, and what it does with that value afterward.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Alright so I don't know if this is where I should post this question, but when I reformat my USB flash drive or SD card with diskpart.exe from the command window, my computer no longer recognizes the external drive. It reads it as a Microsoft Click-to-Run Q: Drive that I cannot access. Is there a way to fix this?
I've never used Diskpart. Try Jackmorgan888's guide I guess. I'm amazed at how popular that reddit thread is.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/26pw3q/tutorial_usb_loading_20xx_melee_hack_pack_on_wii/

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Does that update include the pokemon no transformation fix?
I'll get this in the pack soon. I know you've been waiting patiently! I have motivation to do this now that I have fixed endless friendlies.
So at the latest MOAL we used your 20XX pack again, and this time it was flawless. What me and beanwolf have deduced might have been the problem is the Dual 1v1 setting. We don't have any real evidence of this because we turned everything off, but that was something I'd never seen in the pack before.

The only thing that really throws me for a loop anymore is D-pad up doesn't toggle rumble anymore. T_T
Sorry I never responded, but I'm glad the problem was seemingly fixed. Btw, I was watching you play on stream during the last MOAL and was very impressed with your Falcon. The tech skill is looking real crispy.

Would you be interested in a modification to the pack with green ranger as the alt skin for falcon instead of capt. america?

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Make sure your Dios Mios settings are set to "Auto" for video, I was trying to force mine to NTSC and noticed the exact same phenomenon as you.

Edit: I notice my advice actually runs counter to the previous advice. So the only thing to do is to test all combinations of video modes until you find one that works.

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Things you could do with frame counting:
1) How long you were in landing lag when you could have isai/shield dropped.
2) How long you were out of shield stun (when taking a hit) before you acted.
3) How long between impacting a shield/player and inputting fast fall for getting your pressure timing ultra crispy.
4) How long were you able to act after teching before you did so, to get great shine on wake up or get your movement down faster.

Also, the routine that draws percent on the screen, can it be called with arbitrary co-ordinates? If so, can you call it twice in a frame (without too much slow down) and draw a second arbitrary counter?

What does coin-counter mode do? I can't remember as it's been years since I've played it, but there might be something helpful in there, a different drawing routine or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom