• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
All things are possible :p. Good luck on troubleshooting. I'm pretty sure it's not possible for the game to suddenly run slow assuming the same version and all that. It's not like Achilles stuff takes longer to execute (significantly?). Anyway, plenty of people have got it working normally so have a poke around and see what's different about your setup.
so I changed all my video mode settings to NTSC instead of Use Global.
still "feels wrong"
BUT could this just be from playing literally 50 hours of project M last weekend?
I've been pouring mad hours into that game. I never noticed the engine differences as much as I am right now.
It's just weird to me cause it should be the opposite, PM should feel a little slower. idk. Thanks.

Mutekisenko

Smash Rookie
Hey Achilles!

Thank you so much for your hard work!! A question though... Ken just tweeted an awesome custom Melee roster.

http://imgur.com/XLfgj5Q
Is it possible to get the in game roster names to change to the names? Is it just a matter of changing the CSS?

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Subtersion

Smash Rookie
I know this is your hack and all but I'd really prefer it if you'd refrain from making cosmetic changes without giving the option to turn them off and/or having them off by default via menu option or secondary build without them.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
How exactly does the standard cpu handle sdi? I feel like it's entirely random, sometimes they fly way higher from the same move at the same %?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
I know this is your hack and all but I'd really prefer it if you'd refrain from making cosmetic changes without giving the option to turn them off and/or having them off by default via menu option or secondary build without them.
What cosmetic changes are you talking about? The only cosmetic changes I can think of are the Marth sword trail colours (which I would like to have a toggle for but realise why it may not be practical).

How exactly does the standard cpu handle sdi? I feel like it's entirely random, sometimes they fly way higher from the same move at the same %?
I don't know what the regular CPU does, although the 20XX CPU doesn't SDI at all. Also SDI wouldn't make them fly significantly higher; it moves them less than a character length and doesn't affect their momentum at all. It must just be you perceptions, or else regular DI (what are the knockback trajectories on the moves you're noticing this on?).

Last edited:

Power Marshall

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this was asked already, but the rule mode for versus in the debug mode crashes the game. I want to use the rule to have items on, so that I can activate items when playing develop mode in debug.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Hey Achilles!

Thank you so much for your hard work!! A question though... Ken just tweeted an awesome custom Melee roster.

http://imgur.com/XLfgj5Q
Is it possible to get the in game roster names to change to the names? Is it just a matter of changing the CSS?

Thanks again!!
Yeah..what DoctorKirby said.
Steelia's Texture Dumps
Follow the miscellaneous link.

Is there any way to get the cpus to dj right out of their hitstun?
If I'm not mistaken, the 20XX CPU already does this as much as possible.
They don't necessarily do it as much and as quick as possible, but they should [most of the time] try and jump soon after hitstun.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Ideally everything would have a toggle, but I didn't want to use a valuable Debug Menu line to change things that 95% of people would enjoy. But if we get the memory card thing working and are able to create a custom and versatile debug menu, then probably everything will have a toggle.

Sorry if this was asked already, but the rule mode for versus in the debug mode crashes the game. I want to use the rule to have items on, so that I can activate items when playing develop mode in debug.
Uhhh yeah I was never too concerned with other stuff in the debug menu (especially since IE and I might make our own). Can you not just turn Develop Mode on and then exit out of the debug menu and play a regular vs match with items on? Develop mode will still be enabled.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Bug report (I apoligise for the vagueness)
This is in 2.06

Occasionally when toggling hitboxes in-game, the character whose hitboxes are being toggled will instead become invisible (though their projectiles will still be visible) with no hitboxes displayed until you toggle hitboxes off again, at which point the character will become visible again (this happens both when trying to show just the hitboxes and when trying to show the hitboxes overlaid on the character). At first, the projectile will not display its hitboxes regardless of the setting, but after it is toggled a few times it will display its hitbox until the hitboxes are turned off and back on. This has happened to me twice after (at a very rough estimate) 75 toggles of the hitboxes, although I have no idea what's causing it or how to induce it intentionally.

On Battlefield, when I have a save state of my character standing in the middle of the stage and then proceed to airdodge under the lip of the stage (from messing up a ledgedash) and load the state while still in the airdodge animation, my character will appear somewhere between the ledge and where it was standing when the state was saved, but will also be unable to move past a certain point or jump. It is as if there was an invisible box with boundaries just above standing height and immediately next to where the character was placed when the state was loaded (on the side closest to centre stage). Moving offstage will fix this. This happens consistently.

Also you haven't updated the changes to the save/load state controls in all sections of the thread (the part inside the spoiler still says D-pad down is load state).

And a question: is it possible (and do you have any plans to) make the debug menu accept D-pad input? I would find it much easier to use than the control stick.
I have no idea how to fix any collision bubble bugs. I'm just using the built in toggle that the game uses to display them while in Develop Mode. So any bugs with that are more than likely in vanilla Melee (with access to the debug menu) as well and would require tons of investigation to fix anything.

Save states are just weird. I think a lot of the freezing and weird issues are due to the action state hack (forcing players into an action state, which is done with the save states), but there are a lot of benefits of keeping that in there. Maybe one day I'll look into making it more stable.

I updated the save/load state button references in the main post. Thanks.

D-Pad in Debug is not a bad idea. I'm more concerned with getting P2-P4 controller inputs to work on the debug menu. Maybe IE and I will implement this in a new debug menu in a future release.

CeLL

Smash Lord
I run the 20XX mod and normal Melee on the same flash drive. Is there a way to get Dios Mios to display different titles for them instead of the default, so it's easier to tell them apart?

edit: lol nvm I posted this while I was making the 2.07 ISO.

edit: lol nvm that lol nvm. The name is different on GCRebuilder but still the same on Dios Mios.

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
D-Pad in Debug is not a bad idea. I'm more concerned with getting P2-P4 controller inputs to work on the debug menu. Maybe IE and I will implement this in a new debug menu in a future release.
This would be awfully nice since I know a few people use other ports because of it's shield color.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I run the 20XX mod and normal Melee on the same flash drive. Is there a way to get Dios Mios to display different titles for them instead of the default, so it's easier to tell them apart?

edit: lol nvm that lol nvm. The name is different on GCRebuilder but still the same on Dios Mios.
DoctorKirby has a guide for this somewhere on this forum, i believe. try searching for it.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord

http://smashboards.com/posts/16777673/

Last edited:

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
so...
like..
somehow. I didn't drag and drop the .ISO file I build to my USB drive.
what ended up there was the files from the export, before you rebuild it all.
I have no idea if its possible that DIOS MIOS could still play a semi functional game off of these. but that seems to be what happened.
I'm talking about all the .dat files.

I put a vanilla melee iso on there and it felt normally. and now I re did the 20XX steps until the point where I messed up. will post results.

EDIT:

ok its working great now.
and no way am I satisfied. does anyone know how the nametags are saved in the save file? I would like to edit my name tags with a hex editor to have lowercase letters. like the default name "Achilles"
thanks

Last edited:

shuall

Smash Apprentice
so...
like..
somehow. I didn't drag and drop the .ISO file I build to my USB drive.
what ended up there was the files from the export, before you rebuild it all.
I have no idea if its possible that DIOS MIOS could still play a semi functional game off of these. but that seems to be what happened.
I'm talking about all the .dat files.
When you try to just run the files, it'll crash on some of the characters or levels (stuff stored in dat files). If you make the iso, then re-extract it, it should work.

The reason for this is that the fst file (root/fst.bin) stores all the dat files' sizes. When you replace the dat files with different sized files, it can cause crashes. GcRebuilder creates a new fst file with the modified sizes.
I'm thinking of making something that just creates a new fst without packing the iso (and works on linux).

edit: initial tests show GcRebuilder is creating fst's with correct file sizes, but some of the other info (file offsets) is either wrong, or they're packing the iso really wonky. But it seems to work for everyone. I wish I had GcR's source.

edit2: larger main.dol also pushes file offsets forward. Have to edit boot.bin as well.

Last edited:

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
would you be able to add a debug menu toggle for marth's sword swing colors? sometimes i want to just have vanilla swings.

thanks for all your hard work <3

also, i just updated to the newest 2.07 today (i think. the "bug fix" one, i believe it was the 3rd release?) and it seems that the salty runback feature doesn't work. any idea why?

Last edited:

Doomolish

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes in the main menu, the cursor goes crazy and it goes way up. It's fixed by playing vs mode with the P2 cpu, but I can't even put the cursor on vs mode. Anyone else has this problem? If that's the case, is there any other way to fix it? Thx.

Toe

Smash Apprentice
Game crashed a few seconds after I activated spacie shield pressure, it was on FD. I had them in the P2 spot and Flaco began the shield pressure fine so I don't think it was an error on my part, just thought id let you know!

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Sometimes in the main menu, the cursor goes crazy and it goes way up. It's fixed by playing vs mode with the P2 cpu, but I can't even put the cursor on vs mode. Anyone else has this problem? If that's the case, is there any other way to fix it? Thx.
Hit B until you get back to the start screen. Then press start and it will be fixed.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
The human player was P3
That's likely why. I made the uthrow-uair activate whenever they successfully grab their opponent. Doing so involves using the vertical coordinates of CPU (P2) and the human (P1, which I designated). So if you don't have P1 in the game, then it will freeze or eventually freeze while performing this action. Try the code using P1 as the human and see if it still freezes.

I have a better understanding of how to know which player in-game is human and I can fix this limitation when I rewrite the P2 action toggles.

Toe

Smash Apprentice
That's likely why. I made the uthrow-uair activate whenever they successfully grab their opponent. Doing so involves using the vertical coordinates of CPU (P2) and the human (P1, which I designated). So if you don't have P1 in the game, then it will freeze or eventually freeze while performing this action. Try the code using P1 as the human and see if it still freezes.

I have a better understanding of how to know which player in-game is human and I can fix this limitation when I rewrite the P2 action toggles.
Alright I'll make sure to use the P1 slot next time! I really appreciate the hack and your quick responses! Best of luck with whatever you're working on! :)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
would you be able to add a debug menu toggle for marth's sword swing colors? sometimes i want to just have vanilla swings.

thanks for all your hard work <3

also, i just updated to the newest 2.07 today (i think. the "bug fix" one, i believe it was the 3rd release?) and it seems that the salty runback feature doesn't work. any idea why?
ya im tryna get those vanilla swings tho
I could eventually. I'll make sure to put it in the memcard hack for you guys.

If you want to permanently take it off, open the DOL file in a hex editor and at line
0x1330F0 change 4BECCFD4 to 94650008.

I just tried salty on Dolphin and it seemed to work as normal. I'll test on Wii when I get the chance. What's specifically happening for you? Is it completely ignoring A+B or freezing or something else? Can someone who has a setup handy test the salty runback plz

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Alright I'll make sure to use the P1 slot next time! I really appreciate the hack and your quick responses! Best of luck with whatever you're working on! :)
Memcard hax but it feels like I haven't done anything since releasing 2.07. Life's been keeping me busy recently - I just moved all my belongings into a storage unit for a week and a half until I get access to my new place. Once that happens, I should have more time to dedicate towards coding (and hence, bigger projects). Happy to hear that you like it!

Last edited:

iffy525

Smash Apprentice
What's a good way to practice ledge teching as Marth? I tried having a P2 marth spam fsmash but it was hard to time it right consistently.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 ,
I really would like "P2 Spoof Controller Plugins" to be associated with INGAME-TOGGLES.
When we play ssbm ordinarily with 4 players using 20XX, Player 2 can't reset neutral position using Start+X+Y.

Some controllers have different behaviors between "neutral position when controller is inserted" and "neutral position by Start+X+Y".
So we need a toggle for "P2 Spoof Controller Plugin".

INGAME TOGGLES: ON -> P2 Spoof Controller Plugin: ON
OFF -> OFF

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
Quick little report here for you Achilles. I updated my setup to 2.07 (most recent) and brought it to our weekly in Pittsburgh (Man on a Ledge) on Friday. Keep in mind that we use the BenQ + Sewell adapter as our main setup, as everyone loves it and has confirmed it lagless. This week however, one of our most technical players (Nakamaru) approached me after grand finals and said that something felt "off" this week with the setup. Now I had all the in game toggles turned off, but I theorized that the hack pack might still be running additional lines during the game still, which might cause a slight frame drop, something that is a possibility but not likely. For the record I believe I had dual 1v1 set to "3", not sure what the disable number was, forgot to check and we had rainbow FD enabled.

Anyway, I popped in a clean Melee iso and let Naka have at it and he almost immediately turned around and said that it had to be the build because the clean Melee felt perfect. In response, Carroll said that the 20XX 2.07 build had felt perfect for the past two days we had played on it including that day (keep in mind Carroll won GFs that day and Naka lost, but Naka isn't one to ever john so I mean it's whatever).

I'm not sure how to test or confirm this but I figured I'd report to you as soon as I could. It might be baseless johns (although I've never known Naka to do that but who knows) but now that I think about it, we are running a lot of stuff now on top of Melee itself so it might be worth looking into.

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
When you try to just run the files, it'll crash on some of the characters or levels (stuff stored in dat files). If you make the iso, then re-extract it, it should work.

The reason for this is that the fst file (root/fst.bin) stores all the dat files' sizes. When you replace the dat files with different sized files, it can cause crashes. GcRebuilder creates a new fst file with the modified sizes.
I'm thinking of making something that just creates a new fst without packing the iso (and works on linux).

edit: initial tests show GcRebuilder is creating fst's with correct file sizes, but some of the other info (file offsets) is either wrong, or they're packing the iso really wonky. But it seems to work for everyone. I wish I had GcR's source.
sorry to beat a dead horse. but my problem wasn't crashing. i mean it did crash like once or twice.
but my problem was a slower game. like everyone was floaty and the inputs were laggy. felt like i was on brawl wifi.
I'm gonna keep trying to figure it out anyways. Thanks everyone.

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Quick little report here for you Achilles. I updated my setup to 2.07 (most recent) and brought it to our weekly in Pittsburgh (Man on a Ledge) on Friday. Keep in mind that we use the BenQ + Sewell adapter as our main setup, as everyone loves it and has confirmed it lagless. This week however, one of our most technical players (Nakamaru) approached me after grand finals and said that something felt "off" this week with the setup. Now I had all the in game toggles turned off, but I theorized that the hack pack might still be running additional lines during the game still, which might cause a slight frame drop, something that is a possibility but not likely. For the record I believe I had dual 1v1 set to "3", not sure what the disable number was, forgot to check and we had rainbow FD enabled.

Anyway, I popped in a clean Melee iso and let Naka have at it and he almost immediately turned around and said that it had to be the build because the clean Melee felt perfect. In response, Carroll said that the 20XX 2.07 build had felt perfect for the past two days we had played on it including that day (keep in mind Carroll won GFs that day and Naka lost, but Naka isn't one to ever john so I mean it's whatever).

I'm not sure how to test or confirm this but I figured I'd report to you as soon as I could. It might be baseless johns (although I've never known Naka to do that but who knows) but now that I think about it, we are running a lot of stuff now on top of Melee itself so it might be worth looking into.
so I'm a scrub. (as if the double post didn't make that apparent)
But I've been feeling weird delays in my 20XX builds too.
and what's weirder is that even when I rebuilt it, it seemed to run perfectly at first, but as I'd play it more it get worse.
I could very well be imagining this.
But it does sort of go along with your story. I also have a somewhat vanilla iso (it has a modded DOL but not much).
and it runs smooth too.
I play on a CRT btw.

EDIT: I'm not sure what version of 20XX I have. but the alt fox costume is white/pink.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I have an idea. Is there anyway to have the P2 commands list in like the pause screen? like press Z or something to make them come up. IDK MAN IDK
Shwagzamaxima brought this idea up a couple months ago. While it would be very helpful, I'm worried the picture quality on most CRTs will make it hard to read - which also depends on how much text you're trying to fit on there. It can definitely can be done with the pause screen textures to, but I doubt their workable area covers the entire screen (this might be the biggest issue). It would take some investigating, but you could certainly get some stuff on there.

This is where IE's custom debug menu with code info will come into place.

What's a good way to practice ledge teching as Marth? I tried having a P2 marth spam fsmash but it was hard to time it right consistently.
I've been meaning to make a really nice code for this. I might buckle down tonight and try and get something initial written for this.

@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 ,
I really would like "P2 Spoof Controller Plugins" to be associated with INGAME-TOGGLES.
When we play ssbm ordinarily with 4 players using 20XX, Player 2 can't reset neutral position using Start+X+Y.

Some controllers have different behaviors between "neutral position when controller is inserted" and "neutral position by Start+X+Y".
So we need a toggle for "P2 Spoof Controller Plugin".

INGAME TOGGLES: ON -> P2 Spoof Controller Plugin: ON
OFF -> OFF
This is interesting and will certainly need to be addressed. I can't exactly do that solution, though, because the controller spoof is used for "passive" CPU actions like random DI, which is not turned off by having INGAME OFF. I might need to restructure a few things...

I actually probed InternetExplorer about this and he stated that the things I've added would give completely negligible slow-downs, despite the fact that it is theoretically possible to do so. Not that IE is the final truth of the matter, but he explained how PM has ~7000+ lines of code and they have yet to run into significant lag effects of the sort. And I'm not even at 5% of that for the average number of additional code lines actually executed per frame.

The fact is that I've "added" thousands of lines of code, but every separate code is selectively activated when only necessary. So all the CSS Menu code lines don't get touched in-game, and even a code like Dual 1v1 is only executed at the start of the match (switching the in-game friendly fire flag values if necessary) while it is loading, and also during 1 frame when a character dies (to check to let the winners fight each other). And most codes involve a lot of conditionals [towards the beginning] along the lines of " if so-and-so equals this value, execute the custom code. else, skip it all". So that adds single digits of lines of code when not executed. And this game runs through THOUSANDS of lines of code every frame. It's quite beautiful really.

Fwiw, I just played the **** out of 20XX this weekend and was, in my mind, playing the most technical I ever had. I didn't notice a thing. But in the grand scheme of things, I suck. So my opinion only slightly matters :seuss:
sorry to beat a dead horse. but my problem wasn't crashing. i mean it did crash like once or twice.
but my problem was a slower game. like everyone was floaty and the inputs were laggy. felt like i was on brawl wifi.
I'm gonna keep trying to figure it out anyways. Thanks everyone.
To begin with, I would try using a different loader. Next, I would try remaking the ISO yourself. Third, are you using USB? If true --> try SD. Else --> try USB.
I use SD with CFG Loader (or Dios Mios Booter sometimes).

Last edited:

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Shwagzamaxima brought this idea up a couple months ago. While it would be very helpful, I'm worried the picture quality on most CRTs will make it hard to read - which also depends on how much text you're trying to fit on there. It can definitely can be done with the pause screen textures to, but I doubt their workable area covers the entire screen (this might be the biggest issue). It would take some investigating, but you could certainly get some stuff on there.

I've been meaning to make a really nice code for this. I might buckle down tonight and try and get something initial written for this.

This is interesting and will certainly need to be addressed. I can't exactly do that solution, though, because the controller spoof is used for "passive" CPU actions like random DI, which is not turned off by having INGAME OFF. I might need to restructure a few things...

I actually probed InternetExplorer about this and he stated that the things I've added would give completely negligible slow-downs, despite the fact that it is theoretically possible to do so. Not that IE is the final truth of the matter, but he explained how PM has ~7000+ lines of code and they have yet to run into significant lag effects of the sort. And I'm not even at 5% of that for the average number of additional code lines actually executed per frame.

The fact is that I've "added" thousands of lines of code, but every separate code is selectively activated when only necessary. So all the CSS Menu code lines don't get touched in-game, and even a code like Dual 1v1 is only executed at the start of the match (switching the in-game friendly fire flag values if necessary) while it is loading, and also during 1 frame when a character dies (to check to let the winners fight each other). And most codes involve a lot of conditionals [towards the beginning] along the lines of " if so-and-so equals this value, execute the custom code. else, skip it all". So that adds single digits of lines of code when not executed. And this game runs through THOUSANDS of lines of code every frame. It's quite beautiful really.

Fwiw, I just played the **** out of 20XX this weekend and was, in my mind, playing the most technical I ever had. I didn't notice a thing. But in the grand scheme of things, I suck. So my opinion only slightly matters :seuss:

To begin with, I would try using a different loader. Next, I would try remaking the ISO yourself. Third, are you using USB? If true --> try SD. Else --> try USB.

since regular melee runs fine. I'm going to assume its the ISO. I'll build a new one. Then if that doesn't help I'll run off the SD w/ DML.
last I'll try CFG.
cause USB loader has never given me this problem. I prefer USB loader honestly.
Thanks Achilles! You kick ass

MFW the video tutorial SAYS to put the GALE01 file with all the .dat files, and not an ISO on the drive... *facepalm*

Last edited:
Top Bottom