• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Question about the Auto L-Cancel. I think this may have been called L-Cancel training wheels in the past or something like that, but I think I remember you saying it was to allow noobs to practice their combos, while still learning L-Cancelling and the Flash White on successful L-Cancel would still let them know when they were L-Cancelling properly.

I was testing out Auto L-Cancel with Flash White and you get the white flash whether you actually L-Cancel or not. Is this the intended behavior? I only ask because I thought you had specifically mentioned these two options working in tandem.

It makes sense to me that Auto L-Cancel would result in constant white flashes since all moves are L-Cancelled, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a bug

Thanks!
It's not the training wheels code. It's literally just auto L-Canceling. So if you turn the flash on successful L-Canceling, then it will happen everytime.
How much more do you have left before the next version?
A good amount. I have a good vision of everything I want in the next version, but a lot of it requires restructuring things which just takes a long time. I was struggling with some major bugs with the new debug menu and adding files to the ISO, but I have all that cleaned up now and things are going well.

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
It's not the training wheels code. It's literally just auto L-Canceling. So if you turn the flash on successful L-Canceling, then it will happen everytime.

A good amount. I have a good vision of everything I want in the next version, but a lot of it requires restructuring things which just takes a long time. I was struggling with some major bugs with the new debug menu and adding files to the ISO, but I have all that cleaned up now and things are going well.
Speaking of the debug menu, is there any guide or documentation on how to modify the debug menu? I'm running out of buttons to toggle stuff via the CSS, I may want to design my own custom debug menu.
Also, I haven't been into Melee hacks for very long, but I know enough to see how difficult it must have been to put 20xx together. Keep up the good work, achilles, and I look forward to next pack's release!

11Skies

Smash Cadet
So here's the thing, I want to remove all the ****ty alternate skins, PAL, and etc. And I've done so, the game boots normally except the codes don't, can I not remove the alternate skins? Is switching the files (for example "TyFood.dat" for the standard Melee file "TyFood.dat") enough to break the codes? are the files themselves not textures?

TL;DR these alternate skins sucks and I hate seeing people using them, I want to add the ones our community/group of friends like, doing so removes the codes. I can't even test on dolphin because it crashes 20xx on the newer versions, which sucks.

11Skies

Smash Cadet
Also any news on the tournament safe 20XX ? I hate all this gimmicky P1 codes and ****, also **** PAL, but the other gecko/dol codes are really good, and having an ISO with only those codes and no DI'ing AI is really ****.

CeLL

Smash Lord
So here's the thing, I want to remove all the ****ty alternate skins, PAL, and etc. And I've done so, the game boots normally except the codes don't, can I not remove the alternate skins? Is switching the files (for example "TyFood.dat" for the standard Melee file "TyFood.dat") enough to break the codes? are the files themselves not textures?

TL;DR these alternate skins sucks and I hate seeing people using them, I want to add the ones our community/group of friends like, doing so removes the codes. I can't even test on dolphin because it crashes 20xx on the newer versions, which sucks.
You can replace the alternate skins with any textures for that character's color, but not the original trophies. It explains how on the first post.

Achilles posted how to remove the PAL toggle a few pages back.
In the 3.02 DOL file, at offset 0x3f84c4 change 408201e4 to 480001e4.
This is right after it polls the controller input and looks for if R is pressed. The original instruction is a "bne" (branch not equal, so if not equal to R, branch to check other area of code. But if equal to R, execute code directly underneath it - the PAL stuff). And doing the above change will change it from "bne" to "b" which is just a simple branch to...
So it ignores the result of the comparison to see if R is pressed and it will just always branch to the next section and never execute the PAL stuff.
Also 20XX does not crash in Dolphin.

Last edited:

11Skies

Smash Cadet
You can replace the alternate skins with any textures for that character's color, but not the original trophies. It explains how on the first post.

Achilles posted how to remove the PAL toggle a few pages back.

Also 20XX does not crash in Dolphin.
20XX does crash on Dolphin, other than that thanks a lot dude, you saved like 8 hours of my time.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Speaking of the debug menu, is there any guide or documentation on how to modify the debug menu? I'm running out of buttons to toggle stuff via the CSS, I may want to design my own custom debug menu.
Also, I haven't been into Melee hacks for very long, but I know enough to see how difficult it must have been to put 20xx together. Keep up the good work, achilles, and I look forward to next pack's release!
I have my crappy notes for myself, but nothing formal to present yet. And I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go about making the debug menu. It's been a constant battle. The next debug menu will be much better/have more things, and I think I'll have a more streamlined way of doing things by that point and can make a nice guide. I fought for a few hours tonight to fix a debug menu bug, and like...I fixed it...but I still don't know exactly what the problem was and am still confused. Oh well. Just sucks because I feel as though no progress was made, and I try and value what hacking time I get so much.

I think you are missing the point of the hack pack...
It sounds like you'd be better off just running vanilla Melee with personally selected Gecko codes enabled.

When does 20XX freeze in Dolphin for you?

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice

Also any news on the tournament safe 20XX ? I hate all this gimmicky P1 codes and ****, also **** PAL, but the other gecko/dol codes are really good, and having an ISO with only those codes and no DI'ing AI is really ****.
??? if you don't appreciate the huge amount of work that's has been done for this project then go and make a custom iso for yourself instead of spreading hateful criticism here...

11Skies

Smash Cadet
I have my crappy notes for myself, but nothing formal to present yet. And I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go about making the debug menu. It's been a constant battle. The next debug menu will be much better/have more things, and I think I'll have a more streamlined way of doing things by that point and can make a nice guide. I fought for a few hours tonight to fix a debug menu bug, and like...I fixed it...but I still don't know exactly what the problem was and am still confused. Oh well. Just sucks because I feel as though no progress was made, and I try and value what hacking time I get so much.

It sounds like you'd be better off just running vanilla Melee with personally selected Gecko codes enabled.

I just you want to link me to a program that lets me edit dol files, or anything of the sort, so I can switch skins without breaking the game, dude above me said it was on the first post but I don't see that anywhere.

Last edited:

11Skies

Smash Cadet
??? if you don't appreciate the huge amount of work that's has been done for this project then go and make a custom iso for yourself instead of spreading hateful criticism here...
Implying I don't think Achilles is a god. Are you kidding? Nowhere did I say it was bad work. 20XX is god like, it's just the skins and the pal **** that bothers me at the moment.

11Skies

Smash Cadet

I don't remember but I think it was literally on the moment I loaded a stage.
I'll try testing more and coming to post later, I just need to fix the whole PAL thing.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I just you want to link me to a program that lets me edit dol files, or anything of the sort, so I can switch skins without breaking the game, dude above me said it was on the first post but I don't see that anywhere.
GCR, in the download, is used for replacing textures, and any hex editor will work for editing the dol.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
I don't think enough credit can be given to the people behind this project. it really shows that some good time and effort was put into it.

JoeyS

Smash Rookie
Okay so I've modded my wii, but when I have to do the wads thing it doesn't work. I installed IOS236 (without a wad folder) and it didn't work. I figured it out eventually, made a "wad" folder and reinstalled IOS236. After that I went into Multi Mod Manager and tried to install the wads again. There wasn't anything in the wads folder , so I tried reinsatalling IOS236 and doing it again. After it didn't work I tried changing the folder name, "WAD", 'WADS", and wads. Each time going back into the wii, downloading IOS236, and going back into MMM. And each time there is nothing in the wads folder. I'm positive that IOS236 installed cuz it said that it installed and all of that, but maybe I did something wrong idk.

joshdiaz426

Smash Rookie
NNID
Diaz137
Hey, I'm very new to hacking. I've had a relatively easy time with this (thank you jackmorgan and beanwolf), but now I'm having trouble with finding a .iso. Can you direct download the .iso file? Or is there a more complicated process?

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm very new to hacking. I've had a relatively easy time with this (thank you jackmorgan and beanwolf), but now I'm having trouble with finding a .iso. Can you direct download the .iso file? Or is there a more complicated process?
Gotta google it or rip your own.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
After that I went into Multi Mod Manager and tried to install the wads again.
What wads again?

You only need to install IOS236 once. Do it once more, following this guide. Just have your Wii connected to the internet and do the "Download from NUS" option, like it states in Step 6. Then forget about IOS236.

I'm assuming you're trying to install Dios Mios, so then put that in
SD Root:\wad\DIOSMIOSLite_2.10.wad

I guess use version 2.11 though.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hey, scrub question here, I followed beanwolf and jackmorgan's guides but when I loaded the game on my wii I got a "Fatal error: apploader size is zero!" message on the Dios Mios screen. Any ideas on what I've done wrong?

edit: i could load regular Melee fine from this USB using Dios Mios.

Last edited:

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Hey, scrub question here, I followed beanwolf and jackmorgan's guides but when I loaded the game on my wii I got a "Fatal error: apploader size is zero!" message on the Dios Mios screen. Any ideas on what I've done wrong?
oh this error...

try other loaders->mess with settings->other dios mios version->repeat

that's how i got around with this in the end

Quiteballin

Smash Rookie
Everytime I go to the start screen and press start, it freezes. it doesnt freeze any other time. Any thoughts/ advice?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Everytime I go to the start screen and press start, it freezes. it doesnt freeze any other time. Any thoughts/ advice?
Disable netplay codes.
Why does my character hold shield in game? I use the same controller in my gamecube and it's fine but in 20XX it does this. Please SOS
For every controller slot? Even after you reset the controller while it's plugged in?

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Hey Achilles I've noticed something a little non-intuitive

Start a game with a human in P2, once in game set any command and then cancel it with L+R+D-pad down, a CPU AI has now taken control of the human character and you're now fighting against a CPU. Is this intended behaviour?

Cheers,

zz_halim

Smash Apprentice
Hey Achilles I've noticed something a little non-intuitive

Start a game with a human in P2, once in game set any command and then cancel it with L+R+D-pad down, a CPU AI has now taken control of the human character and you're now fighting against a CPU. Is this intended behaviour?

Cheers,
yes it's intended. the toggle disables all p2 action codes and switches the AI on for p2. to prevent this from happening when you're playing with a human disable the toggles in the debug menu

Last edited:

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Ahh ok, it would be nice if there was a way to disconnect the AI again so I could maneuever the P2 character to somewhere specific before giving him another command.

Top Bottom