• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Continue to incrementally improve cpu AI and tech skill.
A few huge examples would be Fox/Falco using Fantasm to recover as well as Firefox/bird up and drop to ledge.
Marth stalling with side B aiming for upB sweet spot.
Luigi utilizing down B.
Samus using bomb jumps and air dodge grapple.
Wall Jump recoveries.
CPU using shield and OoS options.
Just FYI, the AI is not improved in 20XX. The only differences are DI and teching, but these are not accomplished by changing the AI at all (no one knows how to change the AI) but instead it's a overwrite of what the AI says to do by directly writing to the offsets which control which DI or teching directly. It's a little hard to explain (I know this cause I wrote the DI and teching code first for Gecko but Achilles' is better). Some of these could be possible, but a new code would have to be written which is janky and just says "when this is true, make this happen." The phantasm one may be doable if we can say "when in these coordinates, when fox does a firefox animation, make phantasm happen instead." It couldn't really be smart about setting himself up for one or aiming it well. A lot of these may be possible in an indirect way like this, but each takes time and DOL space. Some like wall jumping, using shield to block, sweetspoting, and stalling requires too much situational awareness to be doable though.

Anyway what I want you to understand is the AI cannot currently be changed, though it may be worked around perhaps.

2. Taunt Canceling
-While not nearly as important as the first, I think having the option to enable taunt canceling via the debug menu (or having it enabled all the time) would be another entertaining addition to the 20XX pack, similar to the N-64 L canceling feature. I've gotten great feedback by including taunt canceling in my 20XX version, and as far as I know there are no competitive repercussions to including this feature.
I remember hearing the current Taunt Cancel code IE made does have an impact on gameplay. I can't find the quote right now. It'd probably be best as a toggle.

Kou

Smash Apprentice
I remember hearing the current Taunt Cancel code IE made does have an impact on gameplay. I can't find the quote right now. It'd probably be best as a toggle.
Yeah, taunt cancel code make fox hog the ledge very easily.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
That makes total sense, but I can't help but come with some ideas and share them. (I'll keep my hopes up)
The Phantasm code sounds awesome. Use 50% of the time when possible to reach stage out of those firefoxes he will use one of 4 options: 1 go straight for the ledge. 2 go straight up and fall towards the ledge. 3 go for the perfect up+forward angle and 4. go straight forward. When he phantasm he will shorten it perfectly 50% of the time.
As soon as he is under stage (below coordinates like you say) level firefox will be used always, opting for sweetspotting 50% of the time.

I have zero experience with writing codes, but I expected (som of) it to be possible.
For instance: When Player is in the air and with in a certain distance CPU (if grounded) will put up a shield and choose an OoS option randomized like tech and DI is random.
When in neutral CPU will run the "Evade code" from practice mode 50% of the time and perfect shield pressure the other 50%.
Running popular kill combos at appropriate percent is probably too much to ask for, but I'll list a few anyway.
Fox: Upthrow Upair, Running Upsmash
Falco: Forward Smash, Wave Shine FJ Dair
Marth: Ken Combo, Forward Smash, reverse UpB
Sheik: Dash Attack FJ Fair, Ftilt FJ Fair
etc etc

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Fox's taunt makes him move slightly backwards so if he has his back to the ledge and taunts he'll just fall into a ledge grab.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
The 0x13 byte in the Falco code comes from (14 minus 1), because Sheik’s ID is 0x13 (lower than Falco’s), but she does have CSPs available so Sheik is ignored in the first byte and every character after her is shifted down one.
Would it be possible to add in a character select portrait for Sheik (so she can replace Zelda on the character select screen)? I assume when you said "but she does have CSPs available" it was a typo and you meant to say that she doesn't have any.

Also, would it be possible to add a debug mode toggle for whether PAL characters are enabled by default? I know that the .dat files can be swapped manually, but this would be preferable.

What about having multiple "slots" for saved debug mode toggles which can be easily switched between so that, for example, one could have one set of debug settings for normal matches (vanilla Melee as far as gameplay goes) and one for practice (with hitstun overlays, in-game toggles, etc.). This would mean that players wouldn't have to manually change all the toggles every time they want to change between playing normally and practicing. Is this possible?

One last thing: does the "N64 mode" toggle eliminate all landing lag or reduce it to the standard empty landing lag of 4 frames like in Smash 64? Having never played it I don't know if it's just me, but I find it very difficult to not put up my shield after trying to L-cancel because I'm still holding down the L button by the time the landing lag is gone. Am I missing something?

Edit: Another thing: the colour used in the background of the character select portrait to indicate that a PAL character is being used is unnecessarily difficult to distinguish from the standard port 3 yellow colour; perhaps change it to a more distinct colour (such as purple)?

Last edited:

samoht

Smash Rookie
I have a suggestion for a new gameplay toggle. I don't know how do-able this is, but its sort of like a roll causes instant death but for a full hop. The roll causes instant death is something I always put on and it forces me to wavedash and it helps you use it in actual play. But I keep fullhopping. Is there anyway there could be a fullhop causes death? Or maybe if you jump a certain amount of distance above your enemy you die? say they are on a platform it shouldnt kill you to fullhop onto the platform, samething if you want to fullhop to do an aerial attack after throwing them up at a high percentage. if something like this were to be implemented in a new version id really appreciate it, thanks =]

Kyrios

Smash Rookie
Just booted up 3.0 on Dolphin and it's freezing when I press start on the start screen after I leave the debug menu. I've rebuilt twice and tried different versions of Dolphin. Any help?

Edit: Everything worked perfectly before 3.0

Last edited:

HntrDrizzt

Smash Rookie
Just booted up 3.0 on Dolphin and it's freezing when I press start on the start screen after I leave the debug menu. I've rebuilt twice and tried different versions of Dolphin. Any help?

I am experiencing the same problem as you currently. I received a reply from Achilles stating that 3.0 is working fine on Dolphin for him and that there might be a problem with the iso image. The recommendation was to download a new copy of the correct SSBM iso and try to run through the 3.0 hack pack build again to see if it works.

I have not gotten around to trying this yet, so if you do and it works, let me know. If it isn't that, I would have to think it has something to do with the version/configuration of the Dolphin we are using? Hopefully we can get this resolved soon :)

Kyrios

Smash Rookie
I am experiencing the same problem as you currently. I received a reply from Achilles stating that 3.0 is working fine on Dolphin for him and that there might be a problem with the iso image. The recommendation was to download a new copy of the correct SSBM iso and try to run through the 3.0 hack pack build again to see if it works.

I have not gotten around to trying this yet, so if you do and it works, let me know. If it isn't that, I would have to think it has something to do with the version/configuration of the Dolphin we are using? Hopefully we can get this resolved soon :)
I'm trying to find a new iso, but I can't seem to find a 1.02 that's different from the one I have already. I have the same iso that Lunchables has/had, where I can only play 4 stocks 8 minutes even if I change the game settings. Until I cant find another iso, 2.06 will do the job.

HntrDrizzt

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to find a new iso, but I can't seem to find a 1.02 that's different from the one I have already. I have the same iso that Lunchables has/had, where I can only play 4 stocks 8 minutes even if I change the game settings. Until I cant find another iso, 2.06 will do the job.
The thought was, I think, that somehow the iso (1.02 being the correct one) was somehow damaged along the way. Seeing as how we both are experiencing the same problem, I would think it would be difficult for us to have both damaged our iso in a similar fashion to cause this problem. I am going to spend some time tonight trying to troubleshoot this further and get back to you.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Only being able to play vs mode 4 stock 8 mintes does not have anything to do with your .iso.
It's simply the cheat code that you enable with dolphin. If you forgot, simply right click your game from dolphin's front page, go to properties, AR codes, and toggle Global Melee Netplay Settings.

I always keep an unmodded 1.02 .iso when I wanna build a new 20XX (like new patch or different set of costumes/stages)
So remember to make a copy of your unmodded 1.02 before modding.
good luck

Last edited:

Wumbology

Smash Rookie
so i tried replacing the red falcon alternate costume with a the flash texture that i changed to from a .usd file to a .dat file and it said that it worked and was ok but when i went to use it in game it just loaded the original falcon red texture. i figured the file just didnt work so i tried to reload the original red alternate costume but now its not working anyone have any suggestions?

Charliezard

Smash Rookie
I'm having a bit of an issue with this on Dolphin. When I go to the debug menu it looks just like the normal Melee debug menu and one of the main things I was after was the flashing red upon failed L-cancels. So I'm doing something wrong, I assume, when I make the iso. What confuses me, however, is that everything else seems to work. I can choose the alternate costumes, strike out stages, use the in game shortcuts, etc.

I've tried multiple versions of 20XX and a few different installs of Dolphin. I have also confirmed my Melee rom is 1.02.

Any idea why this might be the case? What am I doing wrong?

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I would like to ask that the PAL version characters stay in, as it's very helpful for us PAL'ers. As much as I'd like for SD Remix versions, I still would prefer to keep PAL in over them as they help everyone who plays on PAL competitively.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
A game wide PAL toggle in the debug menu, which the game will remember, would be fantastic
Keeping the CSS toggle in is fine. Someone might want to see PAL vs NTSC Firefox length or the like

Firejew

Smash Cadet

Did you Dolphin users try the Dolphin DebugFast version?

http://smashboards.com/threads/dolp...-breakpoints-download-links-32-64-bit.354071/

When using this version also go into your documents and rename your Dolphin folder to reset all the settings (and keep your old ones for later).

Last edited:

Zoler

Smash Ace
I really cannot express myself properly after seeing all the new stuff in 3.0, AMAZING!!!

A few questions: Why is Deflicker still set on "off" as default?

Is there any simple way to change the default options?

Do you take donations?

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Would someone be able to tip me off as to exactly what kind of hardware I'll need before I just go out and buy the wrong stuff? (Such as what capacities of SD/USB Drives are useable, how many, etc?)

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
I really cannot express myself properly after seeing all the new stuff in 3.0, AMAZING!!!

Do you take donations?
Tournament rule.

Go check out The DOL Mod Topic.

He doesn't.

Would someone be able to tip me off as to exactly what kind of hardware I'll need before I just go out and buy the wrong stuff? (Such as what capacities of SD/USB Drives are useable, how many, etc?)
An SD/SDHC card should work. I'm not sure on USBs since I've only used an 4 GB and 8GB.

Firejew

Smash Cadet
A common USB drive used for loading GC and Wii games is a Sandisk Cruzer. I'm not sure of the maximum capacity of a drive that the Wii can support, but my 1TB WD My Passport Ultra is read (but only boots Wii games). For maximum compatibility with 20XX (at the moment), get an SD or SDHC (watch out for SDXC, these won't work) card.
The current list of useable SD/SDHC cards is here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Lite_Compatibility_List
The current list of useable USB devices is here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Compatibility_List

Alternatively, you could look into compatibility with Nintendont, but I know nothing of it and you'd have to look it up yourself.

Not gonna double post:
Dolphin users who are having problems: I just tested my version of Dolphin (4.0-652 w/Netplay, 32-Bit) with my 20XX hack pack that works on my Wii and a fresh "Dolphin Emulator" folder in my documents and everything worked (even the red falcon alt and blue PS).

Last edited:

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
A common USB drive used for loading GC and Wii games is a Sandisk Cruzer. I'm not sure of the maximum capacity of a drive that the Wii can support, but my 1TB WD My Passport Ultra is read (but only boots Wii games). For maximum compatibility with 20XX (at the moment), get an SD or SDHC (watch out for SDXC, these won't work) card.
The current list of useable SD/SDHC cards is here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Lite_Compatibility_List
The current list of useable USB devices is here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DIOS_MIOS_Compatibility_List

Alternatively, you could look into compatibility with Nintendont, but I know nothing of it and you'd have to look it up yourself.

Not gonna double post:
Dolphin users who are having problems: I just tested my version of Dolphin (4.0-652 w/Netplay, 32-Bit) with my 20XX hack pack that works on my Wii and a fresh "Dolphin Emulator" folder in my documents and everything worked (even the red falcon alt and blue PS).
Thank you for the very informative post. Going to get right on this.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
So I got it working, but I noticed several issues, several being very minor and one being an annoyance. I see image tearing and graphical glitches in words displayed on screen, such as blocky out of place blotches where text is displayed (Including, but not limited to, character names, menu titles, Pokemon Stadium flow screen, damage percents, etc.)

Also, when I leave all-star mode, the menu cursor wigs out and just starts rapid scrolling through options. Backing out to the 20XX title and re-entering the game rectifies the problem, until all-star mode is entered/exited once again. Are these known problems, and are there fixes for them? Did something wrong happen during the ISO modification?

marekelemental

Smash Rookie
This is my first time using any hackpack, so bare with me please.

I was successfully able to create the melee iso and load it on my Wii using Beanwolf's guides. However, the debug menu doesn't include the "Achilles 3.0" header and the extra features (e.g., L-cancel flash) don't exist.

Is Beanwolf's guide (and hackpack) older than the 3.0 update? If so, I'm thinking I just need to copy the 3.0 file replacements instead of Beanwolf's zip, right?

Also, do I need Grecko on my Wii in addition to the hackpack updates, or can I utilize the hacks from the debug menu?

Thank you very much.

EDIT:

So, I was right about the file replacement. I used the 3.0 file replacements (instead of the ones included in Beanwolf's older zip) and I now have the updated hackpack.

I also found out I don't need Gecko for codes (as far as I know). I completely overlooked the D-pad inputs listed on the front of this thread.

Last edited:

darkatma

Smash Hero
What file is your FD chameleon color changing scheme located in? I tried to replace the background file but the stage is still changing color. I find it distracting and would like to remove it.

Cheers

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
What file is your FD chameleon color changing scheme located in? I tried to replace the background file but the stage is still changing color. I find it distracting and would like to remove it.

Cheers
You can turn it off in the debug menu.

Sorry:(

Smash Apprentice
Tried out the "auto L cancel" option last night. LOVE IT!!!

I'm proud of my mastery of L-canceling, but this just freed up more of my brain power. It's like adding more RAM to a computer. Frequently I still tap L when I land though. Even though I'll still have to L cancel when I play folks, sometimes practicing with "auto L-cancel" gives me extra brain power to figure out combos I haven't before. Once I figure out new stuff, I can apply it with regular L-canceling.

Poe

Smash Cadet
After downloading this pack, I decided to replace of the few included alternate skins included with the mod pack. Most of the replacements came out flawlessly until I begin alter Marth's new costumes, particularly the new red costume. When ever I change this texture and attempt to start a match while using the new texture, the match simply does not begin. Why is it that this texture change crashes the game? I have been using the newest version of MeleeToolKit to change the textures and I was replacing the included texture with the default black Marth textures.

Edit: This issue also seems to occur with Marth costumes other than the red alternate costume.

Edit 2: I've some how managed to work out this issue on my own but I'm not sure how. After repeatedly replacing the texture file that was giving me issues it seems to have fixed itself.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash

I'm proud of my mastery of L-canceling, but this just freed up more of my brain power. It's like adding more RAM to a computer. Frequently I still tap L when I land though. Even though I'll still have to L cancel when I play folks, sometimes practicing with "auto L-cancel" gives me extra brain power to figure out combos I haven't before. Once I figure out new stuff, I can apply it with regular L-canceling.
Just realise that in a normal game you won't have that extra RAM. If the focus of your practice is on something that is more about observation (like learning to notice when the player will be forced to tech on the ground/platform to go for a followup on reaction), I could see this helping, but at a certain point it becomes detrimental, as you need to have your execution down.

Issi^

Smash Rookie
Loving it. For feedback tho what i'm missing hte most is for spacies to use illusion for recovery to stage and i'd love if were able fix so they would, cuz it would be so nice for working on my edgeguarding. right now they only use firefox/bird for recovery so its too easy

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium

You know what, that's something I have thought of too. But I didn't dare to put it to practice. Reading that you have success with it motivates me to give it a shot. And also, it's not like you will unlearn what you know. And nothing holds you back from pressing the L-Cancel input anyway.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
All, I've been sick since this past Wednesday with a fever and horrible headache. Sorry for my absence and thanks for keeping things alive. Hopefully I'll feel better by the end of the weekend and can answer a bunch of stuff.

Is there a good way to practice ledgeteching in 3.0?
Look at L+R+D-Pad Right on the main page. It's the best you'll find anywhere.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
The Ledge Tech feature completely went over my head! Thats truly amazing! No more sensor bombs

(L+R+D-Pad Right) P2 Hitbox Freeze Repeater
[Achilles]

Use with P1 Choose P2 Action Spam!
  • After toggling ON, P2 will be frozen in place and become intangible.
    • P2's hitbox will remain active if that character was frozen in the middle of an attack.
  • If another player is damaged by P2's frozen hitbox, P2 will immediately upon hit:
    1. Become unfrozen (and continue to spam a move like normal)
    2. Will freeze again at the exact same frame at which they were previously frozen with an active hitbox out.
This allows for amazing ledgetech practice!
  1. Have P2 spam a move by the edge (such as Falco d-smash).
  2. Freeze P2 when the hitbox is out in a location that will hit you as you are trying to recover to the ledge.
  3. Run towards edge of stage and jump over the frozen character --> *Save State*.
  4. Go below the stage and try to recover / ledgetech!
  5. When you are about to die...*Load State*.
  6. Repeat 4-5.
If you ever clank a hitbox with P2 or are invincible (halo) to the hitbox, then P2 will not repeat and freeze the move and a dead hitbox (inactive, but visible) will remain. At this point, you will need to just toggle the freeze repeater OFF and then ON again.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
The Ledge Tech feature completely went over my head! Thats truly amazing! No more sensor bombs

(L+R+D-Pad Right) P2 Hitbox Freeze Repeater
[Achilles]

Use with P1 Choose P2 Action Spam!
  • After toggling ON, P2 will be frozen in place and become intangible.
    • P2's hitbox will remain active if that character was frozen in the middle of an attack.
  • If another player is damaged by P2's frozen hitbox, P2 will immediately upon hit:
    1. Become unfrozen (and continue to spam a move like normal)
    2. Will freeze again at the exact same frame at which they were previously frozen with an active hitbox out.
This allows for amazing ledgetech practice!
  1. Have P2 spam a move by the edge (such as Falco d-smash).
  2. Freeze P2 when the hitbox is out in a location that will hit you as you are trying to recover to the ledge.
  3. Run towards edge of stage and jump over the frozen character --> *Save State*.
  4. Go below the stage and try to recover / ledgetech!
  5. When you are about to die...*Load State*.
  6. Repeat 4-5.
If you ever clank a hitbox with P2 or are invincible (halo) to the hitbox, then P2 will not repeat and freeze the move and a dead hitbox (inactive, but visible) will remain. At this point, you will need to just toggle the freeze repeater OFF and then ON again.
And make sure to use Y+D-Pad Right to show P2's collision bubbles while you are freezing them to know if their hitbox is out.

After downloading this pack, I decided to replace of the few included alternate skins included with the mod pack. Most of the replacements came out flawlessly until I begin alter Marth's new costumes, particularly the new red costume. When ever I change this texture and attempt to start a match while using the new texture, the match simply does not begin. Why is it that this texture change crashes the game? I have been using the newest version of MeleeToolKit to change the textures and I was replacing the included texture with the default black Marth textures.

Edit: This issue also seems to occur with Marth costumes other than the red alternate costume.

Edit 2: I've some how managed to work out this issue on my own but I'm not sure how. After repeatedly replacing the texture file that was giving me issues it seems to have fixed itself.
It sounds like you are trying to replace a red texture with a black one(?). If so, you can't do that unless you copy the black texture files to a PlMsRe.dat file.
Can someone provide a link for character and stage skins for melee that I can download and use in 20XX?
See the Melee Texture Hack sticky in this forum.

Do you take donations?
Thanks. I'm very happy about the addition of PAL characters, so everyone around the world can get the experience.

Deflicker is off because I like things sharp. Like Jorgasms said, go to the DOL Mod topic to learn how to change that if you want.

No donations at the moment.

I would like to ask that the PAL version characters stay in, as it's very helpful for us PAL'ers. As much as I'd like for SD Remix versions, I still would prefer to keep PAL in over them as they help everyone who plays on PAL competitively.
I was never planning on taking out PAL if I added SDR. They can both be in there.

I think I'm going back to bed. The headache is coming back.

Top Bottom