• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

Im actually reposting this off of Achilles page, I would like a discususion on this. how many people would be okay with items when they wernt just random? Could you do something where you could set a specific item to only spawn at one spot the whole match reasponing at every 32sec. (like randal the cloud) after being picked up. ? if you did this im\tems would not longer be random but would be a stage reasorce. perhaps people could strike items like stages?

Last edited:

hectohertz

Smash Ace
It could exist though, right? I had a symbol map I worked on when I was coding; It would seem possible to merge everybody's symbol maps to aggregate info.
yeah its possible in theory. just there's very little existing work done (pretty much everything we know is in that sheet)

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
Is anyone having issues with crashes?

I get a lot of crashes randomly sometimes when a character dies and im not sure why it happens or how to prevent it

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Last night I realized that turning off skip results screen would freeze the game after finishing/quitting a match and attempting to load the victory screen. The crappy thing about this problem was

1) This function was working fine in Dolphin, but not on the Wii.

2) The skip results toggle is not something I check every time I write a new code (and I always leave it on anyways), so I was unsure as to exactly when this issue began.

My immediate thought was, “okay, well I just restructured the entire debug menu and all the flag value locations for the codes, so I must have just messed up something while doing this.”

I was convinced this was the issue and spent at least 2 hours last night checking and changing some of the new code in an attempt to fix the problem. It finally dawned on me to just revert back to an older 2.07 version to see if the problem still existed…(duh!).

Long story short, I figured out the Neutral Start code was causing the issue. One of the injection points used gets executed at the start of the match (to change spawn locations) and during victory screen loading, the latter of which was unbeknownst to me because all of my testing with the Neutral Start was done with skip results on. The re-execution of code at this point is what was causing the freeze.

So I added in a line to the code to check if the victory screen was about to be loaded and if so, just branch to the end of the Neutral Start code and skip it all and only execute the default code line. Voila, no more freezing!

Talk about annoying though…console ONLY bugs are the most tedious to fix. And this is a good example of why I have a hard time giving a specific release date, because all “further progress on new codes” that I planned on making last night was completely thrown out the window. Nonetheless, some problems are fixed, which is definitely a good thing in the long run.

I did start working on some texture mods for the Stage Select Screen right before bed, because there will be quite a few additions in the new pack :)

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
Debugging can be a pain lol.
Last night I realized that turning off skip results screen would freeze the game after finishing/quitting a match and attempting to load the victory screen. The crappy thing about this problem was

2) The skip results toggle is not something I check every time I write a new code (and I always leave it on anyways), so I was unsure as to exactly when this issue began.

My immediate thought was, “okay, well I just restructured the entire debug menu and all the flag value locations for the codes, so I must have just messed up something while doing this.”

I was convinced this was the issue and spent at least 2 hours last night checking and changing some of the new code in an attempt to fix the problem. It finally dawned on me to just revert back to an older 2.07 version to see if the problem still existed…(duh!).

Long story short, I figured out the Neutral Start code was causing the issue. One of the injection points used gets executed at the start of the match (to change spawn locations) and during victory screen loading, the latter of which was unbeknownst to me because all of my testing with the Neutral Start was done with skip results on. The re-execution of code at this point is what was causing the freeze.

So I added in a line to the code to check if the victory screen was about to be loaded and if so, just branch to the end of the Neutral Start code and skip it all and only execute the default code line. Voila, no more freezing!

Talk about annoying though…console ONLY bugs are the most tedious to fix. And this is a good example of why I have a hard time giving a specific release date, because all “further progress on new codes” that I planned on making last night was completely thrown out the window. Nonetheless, some problems are fixed, which is definitely a good thing in the long run.

I did start working on some texture mods for the Stage Select Screen right before bed, because quite a few additions to it will be in the new pack J

Sham Rock

Smash Apprentice

I did start working on some texture mods for the Stage Select Screen right before bed, because there will be quite a few additions in the new pack :)
A little reminder, you should change the color for stage striking to black.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Theoretically yes, with some alterations/additions that could be possible, but frankly I don´t see any benefits for doing so.
The reason why he brought that up is because if you strike stages and then hit start, it will load any one from your random stage toggle and ignore the striked stages. And the fastest way to get into a match after stage striking would be to strike the last stage and then immediately hit start to play the last one available.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
This must have been asked before, but would it be possible to make PAL version of 20XX? I alongside many people would appreciate that soooo much

Acryte

Smash Ace
PAL would probably mean twice the work... you get PAL characters, why not just use them with NTSC disc?

Elen

Smash Lord
Wow. This upcoming version is sounding absolutely incredible. Cannot wait, if there is ever any help that you need from the community on this or other projects Achilles, please let us do something for you! You're doing amazing work, and I for one am extremely thankful.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
PAL would probably mean twice the work... you get PAL characters, why not just use them with NTSC disc?
Man I feel kinda stupid when reading htat we do indeed get PAL characters. I can't wait to practice that tech chase with PAL Sheik among comboing with Uair etc.
Awesome news!

Sham Rock

Smash Apprentice
This must have been asked before, but would it be possible to make PAL version of 20XX? I alongside many people would appreciate that soooo much
In case you want a full pal only roster you can extract all .dat files out of a pal iso and replace them in the 20XX iso. All except Kirby, for some reason throws will freeze the game when you do that. You´ll have to extract a NTSC version of him and manually change it with the Hex-editor of your choice. There should be a Thread here in the melee workshop by Geusse on what files are to be replaced and which offsets need to be changed for Kirby, but if all fails send me a PM and I can give you all the dat´s needed.

The reason why he brought that up is because if you strike stages and then hit start, it will load any one from your random stage toggle and ignore the striked stages. And the fastest way to get into a match after stage striking would be to strike the last stage and then immediately hit start to play the last one available.
@ Stride Stride : Is what achilles described REALLY your problem???

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Theoretically yes, with some alterations/additions that could be possible, but frankly I don´t see any benefits for doing so.
@ Stride Stride : Is what achilles described REALLY your problem???
Yes. It would also be useful when one is playing friendlies and doesn't feel like playing on specific stages. For example: Fountain of Dreams came up the last 3 times and I don't want to play on it again but I don't care which stage I go to besides that; I could just strike Fountain and choose random. It also makes more sense for it to work that way; if you've struck a stage then why would it still be selectable? The cursor ends up moving to a blank square when you press start too, which looks strange.

Would it be feasible to make cancelling the stage load (with L+R+A+Y) return the players to the character select screen instead of the versus menu? It would be more convenient (since in the vast majority of cases the players just want to choose a different stage, not a different mode).

I have some questions about the AI: what information is actually available to them? Are they able to read the opponents' percentages, current trajectory, their own position relative to the stage, etc.? How feasible would it be to program them to do these kinds of things in the case that they're not already able to? It have hopes for it eventually being possible for the AI to mix up their recovery; even simple (not necessarily technically simple of course) things like spacies using side-B if they're above the stage or Luigi using up-B if he's directly below the ledge.

I'd like to suggest for a code which makes Fox constantly perform full length waveshines, perhaps with up smash or up throw->up air mixups.

It would also be useful if the AI was capable of things like Marth's chain throw on spacies.

Not that this is at all important, but is it feasible to include a toggle for changing the units used in the home run contest between feet and metres?

Last edited:

Sham Rock

Smash Apprentice
... For example: Fountain of Dreams came up the last 3 times...
If the same stage comes up 3 times in a row, the issue is the random seed. IIRC P3 gets a mad load of misfires with weegee and P1 almost none at all. That´s something that should be looked over generally.

.....It also makes more sense for it to work that way; if you've struck a stage then why would it still be selectable?.....
A stage that has been struck is NOT selectable. Load up 20XX, strike rainbow ride and then try to select it, won´t work.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
If the same stage comes up 3 times in a row, the issue is the random seed. IIRC P3 gets a mad load of misfires with weegee and P1 almost none at all. That´s something that should be looked over generally.
Any idea about the source for the misfires? I've never heard of that happening. My example was bad; I should have referred to just not wanting to play a certain stage in general.

A stage that has been struck is NOT selectable. Load up 20XX, strike rainbow ride and then try to select it, won´t work.
By "selectable" I mean selectable using random as well as manually selectable. Perhaps I should have said something like "it should not be possible to go to at all without un-striking the stage".

Last edited:

mooki

Smash Apprentice
Hey achilles, is there any way one might be able to modify something to allow them to remove some of the songs from the random music rotation code? That would be awesome. There's just a couple ones that really don't sound even remotely like something cool to fight to, like the mario bros theme or the song that plays on Flatworld whereas the Fire Emblem theme is badass.

BrTarolg

Smash Ace
So i've narrowed down how the crashes appear

FYI, i'm in PAL region (but using 20xx on a hacked wii)

So basically, if a character dies whilst someone still has spawn invincibility, the game crashes

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
Should this .iso run correctly on dolphin? I'm getting weird image errors. If there's a trouble shooting thread, could someone link it to me? Thank ya.

EDIT: Ignore this, I figured out the problem. I named the new .iso file "20xx.iso" instead of keeping the original melee iso name. Here's what my problems looked like for anyone that makes this mistake:

EDIT2: File name and graphic error are unrelated

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
could you make a toggle for lose current stock whenever you roll. to prevent old habits.
Yes. I will (already have).

Should this .iso run correctly on dolphin? I'm getting weird image errors. If there's a trouble shooting thread, could someone link it to me? Thank ya.

EDIT: Ignore this, I figured out the problem. I named the new .iso file "20xx.iso" instead of keeping the original melee iso name. Here's what my problems looked like for anyone that makes this mistake:

My computer just randomly does that sometimes. I blame my graphics card for being flaky, but idk what the real problem is. It shouldn't matter what the name of the file is.
im so excited for this new guccid out ledgedash practice . gonna change the game
It will be nice. I could put the ledge dash one in there in 2 seconds because I already have it written, but I want to make it more customizable so you can make frame counters for whatever you want. This should be the last new code I will be adding to this release. And hopefully, I will get to working on it today.

Just that code and then buttoning up a few loose ends.
It would be awesome if you could set cpu zelda as sheik without having to do it with a human first
I'm not too concerned about this at the moment.
Hey achilles, is there any way one might be able to modify something to allow them to remove some of the songs from the random music rotation code? That would be awesome. There's just a couple ones that really don't sound even remotely like something cool to fight to, like the mario bros theme or the song that plays on Flatworld whereas the Fire Emblem theme is badass.
you could definitely do this. Instead of loading the normal stage music, this code pulls a song ID from a custom table of IDs that is inserted into the DOL and plays that song instead. I'm not sure if changing the dimensions of the table (so completely removing a song ID) would mess it up, because if it pulls an ID that is not a song it will freeze. But you should be totally safe to just swap out an ID of a song you don't like to one that you do. I'll give you more details on how to do this later.

(Sham Rock wrote that code, which is why I am unsure about the table dimensions thing).

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Is there any way to get it so that the game would display the angle that the control stick is in? That would be really nifty for me, as I'm trying to figure out useful stuff with M2's teleport.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
My computer just randomly does that sometimes. I blame my graphics card for being flaky, but idk what the real problem is. It shouldn't matter what the name of the file is.
Yeah that's strange. The problem persisted until I changed the name back to the Melee iso's original file name but now that I went back and tried changing the name back to 20XX it's running fine. Musta been a coincidence from all the resets.

Also, I can't seem get the game to display in widescreen mode even between toggling the debug menu's setting and messing with Dolphin's widescreen stuff.

EDIT: Agh, nevermind. Figured it out again.

Last edited:

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Is there an easy way to remove the 20XX text from the CSS in the current version?

I appreciate the addition of it, I'm just not the biggest fan of the font.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
What if you did getting blown up (bomb) instead of losing a stock? I think that would be a more memorable punishment for rolling than losing a stock. More humiliating too.
Unfortunately, I do not know how to pull a bombomb explosion (with hitboxes) out of my ***. That would be pretty good though.

Is there an easy way to remove the 20XX text from the CSS in the current version?

I appreciate the addition of it, I'm just not the biggest fan of the font.
Just take a vanilla MnSlChr.usd file and replace the one on your 20XX iso. (or remake the iso without the MnSlChr.usd file included in the file replacements).

Last edited:

Landry

Smash Ace
Hey Achilles -

If I want to create an iso that looks as close to original Melee as possible but still has all the 20XX functions which files (of your replacements) should I not copy over?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Is there any way to get it so that the game would display the angle that the control stick is in? That would be really nifty for me, as I'm trying to figure out useful stuff with M2's teleport.
It's probably possible to do something like this but I don't know enough about joystick angles/coordinates at the moment.

Hey Achilles -

If I want to create an iso that looks as close to original Melee as possible but still has all the 20XX functions which files (of your replacements) should I not copy over?
MnSlChr.usd - Character Select Screen
GmTtAll.usd - Title Screen
MnMaAll - "Debug Menu" text instead of Tournament Mode
MnSlMap.usd - Normal Stage Select Screen
MnSlMap.dat - Hacked Stage Select Screen

GrOp.dat - Dreamland

hoopie

Smash Rookie
I'm having an issue with the runback input. It only seems to work during the end of the match. if I try to do the run back input during a rage quit, i get redirected back to the character select screen. I was able to do it before with the 20xx 2.07 build but all of a sudden, i'm not able to do it anymore. I've tried deleting the save memory as well but it still doesn't work. am i doing something wrong? I'm positive i'm not inputting the wrong buttons.

Top Bottom