• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

x412

Smash Rookie
NNID
IntegX
3DS FC
4871-5219-1569
Hi achilles,

I've been looking into this and had a few questions. So far, the methods I've found involving using this pack on a console is hacking a Wii to be able to run the ISO. Using Project M as an example, they have a method that requires just the Brawl disc, an SD Card, and via a menu in Brawl the Project M build can be run without any mods needed to be done to the Wii. So everything is still official on the Wii. With that in mind:
  1. Is it possible to do this kind of method with Melee and the 20XX Hack Pack?
  2. If it is not possible, is it possible to revert the hacked Wii process at some point?
  3. Is there anything lost when the process is done? ie: unable to do official system updates, losing virtual console games, etc.
  4. What is the worst thing that can happen during the process? ie: possibly bricking the Wii
I tried searching for this info within the thread but couldn't find anything unfortunately.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Hi achilles,

I've been looking into this and had a few questions. So far, the methods I've found involving using this pack on a console is hacking a Wii to be able to run the ISO. Using Project M as an example, they have a method that requires just the Brawl disc, an SD Card, and via a menu in Brawl the Project M build can be run without any mods needed to be done to the Wii. So everything is still official on the Wii. With that in mind:
  1. Is it possible to do this kind of method with Melee and the 20XX Hack Pack?
  2. If it is not possible, is it possible to revert the hacked Wii process at some point?
  3. Is there anything lost when the process is done? ie: unable to do official system updates, losing virtual console games, etc.
  4. What is the worst thing that can happen during the process? ie: possibly bricking the Wii
I tried searching for this info within the thread but couldn't find anything unfortunately.
The closest thing to this would be the memory card hack that allows loading custom code through an exploit used when Melee attempts to load name tag data, which can be done on unmodded gamecubes and wiis. See this Reddit thread for more details (specifically, the comments by DanSalvato [InternetExplorer]). I have a feeling textures might be problematic with this method because of their length, but idk, there's a lot to look into.

As for Wii hacking, I have no idea how ones goes about reverting a hacked Wii. I've never done it, never have looked into it, and never have wanted to do it.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Hackless PM just uses Smash Stack to launch Gecko (well now it's their own app but it used to be Gecko) instead of the Homebrew installer. I'd think you could get Dios Mios to launch that way; it is a Homebrew app just like Gecko.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Throwing ideas out there.

Any plans on continuing improving on CPU AI? Such as utilizing WD, Wave Landing, SHFFL, Shield Grabs, intelligent Edge Hogs, intelligent use of projectiles, mixing up approaching with evasion etc.

Is it possible to toggle between fully controlling P1 and any other port, during a fight? I wanna place the dummy somewhere specific. How about during CSS? Also how do I switch to alternate skins on a CPU/other characters selected by me?

Implement toggle slow motion (Like in practice mode from 1/4th to 2x speed) in VS. mode?
Ability to turn camera and keep it there during fight?

Instant replay function? Being able to save the replays? Record whole match?

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
Hackless PM just uses Smash Stack to launch Gecko (well now it's their own app but it used to be Gecko) instead of the Homebrew installer. I'd think you could get Dios Mios to launch that way; it is a Homebrew app just like Gecko.
Except for the fact that DIOS MIOS is installed to a Wii's memory, and only works on a Wii. Melee runs in GC Mode.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Except for the fact that DIOS MIOS is installed to a Wii's memory, and only works on a Wii. Melee runs in GC Mode.
I think the misunderstanding here is that I'm talking about using the Brawl disc to launch it and you're talking about using the Melee disc.

I'd imagine that a large number of Melee players have Brawl, if not just for PM.

Doq

Smash Lord
I think the misunderstanding here is that I'm talking about using the Brawl disc to launch it and you're talking about using the Melee disc.

I'd imagine that a large number of Melee players have Brawl, if not just for PM.
DIOS MIOS requires a cIOS, which requires homebrew.

But I think you might be able to do what you're thinking by using Nintendont.

CeLL

Smash Lord
DIOS MIOS requires a cIOS, which requires homebrew.

But I think you might be able to do what you're thinking by using Nintendont.
I was forgetting about that. Though couldn't you use Smash Stack to launch the program that installs the cIOS? Although at that point you might as well just install Homebrew.

Wolf_Shadowheart

Smash Rookie
I don't know where else I would post this since I don't often post on smashboards, but I found a fairly good way practice powershielding if you are a spacie and have this hack pack.

• Set you P2 character as Fox (or Falco) and go to your stage of choice. (My favorite so far is Yoshi's Island so you can mix up laser heights and practice power shielding in odd hurt boxes). Final D. works best due to it's size.

• In game, input Down-B as your P2 Action Spam. Fox or Falco will repeat shine as fast as it can. Use Falco (or Fox) to SH(D)L at the P2 Computer like you would practice normally. This routine is great because you are still working on your laser game.

• You can use the invincibility to move your shining P2 dummy anywhere, however if you're Falco I recommend you turn it back off after. It's best to still suffer the hitstun if you miss.

I feel like this is a pretty good routine for spacies since you can work on you SH(D)L game and powershields at the same time. It's easy to set up, and unlike the P2 Actionspam code for D-Pad commands, this is a little more random. You could even get crazy with it and set a Blue Team P2 Actionspam with Falco lasers firing at a Read Team P3 Fox who is holding down shine and powershield the lasers that are reflected by Fox while practicing your own SHL's. It's a lot of fun to hit Fox with 3 lasers within seconds of each other!

Achilles, as always you have created a wonderful thing.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
I was forgetting about that. Though couldn't you use Smash Stack to launch the program that installs the cIOS? Although at that point you might as well just install Homebrew.
well in order to get dios mios working, you need a custom ios, and then a custom mios. thats a lot of (permanent) modifications, which kind of go around the "hackless" idea. as you pointed out, at that point, you are more or less installing homebrew, so its somewhat moot.

at an earlier point in the packs history, it was a series of ocarina codes, but technical difficulties were reached with that. as of right now, theres no loaders for melee that support on the fly patching outside of using ocarina codes, so its unlikely to be useable with anything other than a patched iso.

memory card mod could change everything tho

Last edited:

Tityboi

Smash Cadet
Achilles, have you looked into getting spacies to sweet spot the ledge with their up-b, if the AI would randomly select between the top/middle part of the stage, and sweet spotting the edge practicing against the computer would improve infinitely. Also the CP is still imputing insane SDI so if you could reduce even mode somehow would be amazing. PS you're still a god.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Twitch TV C. Falcon [Veggies, TerryJ]

Twitch TV Falcon (PlCaBu).dat
(Texture was converted from white costume to blue.)

Cloud 9 Fox [Qual_]
Capture.PNG

Cloud 9 Fox (PlFxNr).dat
(Texture was converted from lavender costume to normal.)

To replace your current 20XX alternate costumes:
In GCR,
1) Image --> Open --> Load your Melee ISO
2) Right click on specific alt costume file and choose Import --> navigate to one of the downloaded textures from above.

Files to Replace:
TyRoyR.dat --> Normal Fox
TySeak.dat --> Blue Falcon
(TyLink.dat --> Normal Marth)

You can replace those files with any texture for that specific costume of the character. See the Official Melee Texture Hack Thread for more custom costumes!

-------------------------------------
Side Note:

While converting the Cloud 9 costume, I updated the pants to include more of the wrinkle shadows seen in his normal costume to make it look less flat.

Untitled-1.png

To do this in Photoshop:
(I guarantee there is a better way to do this...I'm just inexperienced and do what I know works.)

1) Copy the original texture and place it as the top layer.
2) Image --> Adjustments --> Desaturate that layer.
3) Image --> Adjustments --> Levels, and move the sliders to only get the black and white tones. Something like this.
Untitled-2.png

4) Lower the opacity to ~10%-15%.

Click here for a basic guide I wrote on creating your own textures. It's easy!

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Will someone tweet the above post to Scar? I showed him the Twitch Falcon the other day and he really wanted to know how to get it in his hack pack (along with C9 Fox).

And I don't know how to Twitter....

I should be able to answer questions and stuff tomorrow.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I was planning on saving this feature for the next release, but I figure I should release it because it includes bug fixes for the last release.

20XX 2.07-8 Combo Timer and Bug Fixes.dol
- Bug fixes for alternate costumes in Training Mode
- Better code injection point for Rainbow FD

**NEW DEBUG TOGGLE**

COMBOTIMER:
- If the match being played includes a timer, it will be changed into the "Consecutive Hit Counter" used in Training Mode.
- Meant to be used for 1v1s or regular training, with the logic that in a 1v1 match, it is impossible for both player's consecutive hit counter to be greater than 0 at the same time.
- 2=ON

- Combo Timer will be applied in all Game Modes, so be sure to turn it off if you want to play a mode that always uses the timer in a meaningful manner.
- When a combo ends, consecutive hit value will stay on screen for a second after the combo is finished (unless another combo starts up), giving the player enough time to look at the value before it goes back to zero [see gif below]

BOTTOM LINE: Play regular versus matches with a combo counter on-screen.

[gif from 20XX 1.0 thread. Ignore the "toggling on midgame" portion at the beginning]

Last edited:

mooki

Smash Apprentice
I was planning on saving this feature for the next release, but I figure I should release it because it includes bug fixes for the last release.

20XX 2.07-8 Combo Timer and Bug Fixes.dol
- Bug fixes for alternate costumes in Training Mode
- Better code injection point for Rainbow FD

**NEW DEBUG TOGGLE**

COMBOTIMER:
- If the match being played includes a timer, it will be changed into the "Consecutive Hit Counter" used in Training Mode.
- Meant to be used for 1v1s or regular training, with the logic that in a 1v1 match, it is impossible for both player's consecutive hit counter to be greater than 0 at the same time.
- 2=ON

- Combo Timer will be applied in all Game Modes, so be sure to turn it off if you want to play a mode that always uses the timer in a meaningful manner.
- When a combo ends, consecutive hit value will stay on screen for a second after the combo is finished (unless another combo starts up), giving the player enough time to look at the value before it goes back to zero [see gif below]

BOTTOM LINE: Play regular versus matches with a combo counter on-screen.

[gif from 20XX 1.0 thread. Ignore the "toggling on midgame" portion at the beginning]
Will comboing off a tech add to the combo or does it use the combo counter that training uses?

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Is anyone interested in a code that adds a toggle for tap to jump? I'm half way done but I don't want to waste any more of my time if no one cares.

Goatlink

Smash Apprentice
Is anyone interested in a code that adds a toggle for tap to jump? I'm half way done but I don't want to waste any more of my time if no one cares.
im very interested in a code like this. Even though I have no personal use for it I know a lot of other people will get good use out of the code.

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
im very interested in a code like this. Even though I have no personal use for it I know a lot of other people will get good use out of the code.
Alright. School and work make it almost impossible to find time but I'll try to get it done this weekend if I can.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Code:
Disable Tap Jump (1.02) [Achilles]
C20CBBC0 00000003
89FD06BE 2C0F0004
40800008 4E800020
7C0802A6 00000000
C20CB4E0 00000003
2C040001 40820008
4E800020 7C0802A6
60000000 00000000
@ Cyjorg Cyjorg Saw your post and figured I'd check it out. Made progress.
@ Goatlink Goatlink

EDIT: Updated

Last edited:

Cyjorg

tiny.cc/19XXTE
Code:
Disable Tap Jump (1.02) [Achilles]
C20CBBC0 00000003
89FD06BE 2C0F0004
40800008 4E800020
7C0802A6 00000000
C20CB4E0 00000003
2C000001 40820008
4E800020 7C0802A6
60000000 00000000
@ Cyjorg Cyjorg Saw your post and figured I'd check it out. Made progress.
@ Goatlink Goatlink
This is amazing. But you can still tap to jump while running.

Edit: This also has the same problem my...longer, less concise *sigh*... code had...it's not player specific. IE, player 1 can't have tap to jump off while player 2 had it on.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
This is amazing. But you can still tap to jump while running.

Edit: This also has the same problem my...longer, less concise *sigh*... code had...it's not player specific. IE, player 1 can't have tap to jump off while player 2 had it on.
A check would be simple to add. At both of the injection points, r29 or r30, depending on which code you're looking at, hold the start of the player data offset for whatever player is doing the jumping.

If you look at the "data offset" tab in that memory address google spreadsheet, +0x678 is the player number (P1, P2, P3, or P4). So all you would have to do is add something like this to the beginning of each code,

lbz r16,0x678(r30) ----- load player number
cmwpi r16,0 ----- is this player P1?
beq- NOT_JUMP
(else, JUMP)

r16 was arbitrarily chosen.
at 0x678 + data offset, 00=P1, 01=P2, 02=P3, 03=P4

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
One of the other interesting things I found today:

Every Aerial Attack is a Nair
0408CF8C 38800041

At the end of the code,

41 = nair
42 = fair
43 = bair
44 = uair
45 = dair

oh my gosh....falcon dittos with changing that to all fairs...the purest of mirrors.

Last edited:

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
One of the other interesting things I found today:

Every Aerial Attack is a Nair
0408CF8C 38800041

At the end of the code,

41 = nair
42 = fair
43 = bair
44 = uair
45 = dair

oh my gosh....falcon dittos with changing that to all fairs...the purest of mirrors.
You forgot to mention Single Button Mode with Fair Lock.

AAkacia

Smash Cadet
This may have been mentioned prior, but I'm relatively new to Melee and super new to 20xx. Is there a reason that with colors on you can't see the duration of Shine's hit-stun? (Light blue for the duration of all other attacks/moves/whateva)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
This may have been mentioned prior, but I'm relatively new to Melee and super new to 20xx. Is there a reason that with colors on you can't see the duration of Shine's hit-stun? (Light blue for the duration of all other attacks/moves/whateva)
It's because those attacks give a color overlay to the characters they are hitting (so with shine, it makes the opponent blue/dark when hit), and this overrides the color overlay that I put on them.

I might look into disabling that if it's not too much work.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Just experimented with deleting the contents of a [somewhat substantial] area in the DOL file. And then added my own code in that section. Seems to be working okay....This is great news.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
what section?
I wrote 00 to the entire area of 4079b0 - 408f30.
It has a whole bunch of ASCII that seems to be talking about debugging the game or something. It mentions USB a few times (???). I'm guessing it's code/pointers that are used when using some sort of device to debug the game.

After I wrote 00 to that section, I threw some code in there and tested it. Confirmed working on console. I have a feeling there is more around there (maybe below 408f30) that can still be taken out.

Last edited:

AAkacia

Smash Cadet
It's because those attacks give a color overlay to the characters they are hitting (so with shine, it makes the opponent blue/dark when hit), and this overrides the color overlay that I put on them.

I might look into disabling that if it's not too much work.
That'd be highly appreciated. I started playing smash in april so anything that helps me learn hit-stun frames around relative percents is important to me and shine is such an anomaly to me. It's mechanics are just.. odd?

Anyways, if you do or don't I appreciate what you've done with 20xx so far. Mad props

TheJedi

Smash Rookie
Hey Achillies do you think you could upload your ISO file to mega or any other hosting website? im having issues with freezing in my 20xx 2.07. and i dont think its all together right because my TEST RESULTS dont say 20xx 2.07. it would be of great help!

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Hey Achillies do you think you could upload your ISO file to mega or any other hosting website? im having issues with freezing in my 20xx 2.07. and i dont think its all together right because my TEST RESULTS dont say 20xx 2.07. it would be of great help!
New version will be released soon. Just hang tight. Gon be big.

Top Bottom